TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

R11 T3:

I played a league round today and used the T3 for a few shots. I placed the FCT to the "highest" setting, which is 15*. I still have the ASP in neutral and this combo plays like my R9 3w, which I loved. I have been working on my swing for the past few days and the minor changes I made have worked well. We played the senior tees today for my league and I teed off on a couple of the par 4's with the T3. The 10th hole was playing 246 yds to the center and I used the T3. I swung nice and smooth and sent the ball flying at a high trajectory (not ballooning) with a small draw. The ball landed in the middle of the green and ended up on the back fringe. I hit a couple more from the tee and experienced the same shot shape. I am really liking the T3 with these settings. It is playing more like a traditional 3 wood and I am getting a better trajectory compared to the lower loft settings. I am going to play around with the T3 this weekend and try some shots from the deck with these settings. I have been hitting some terribly fat shots from the turf recently, but I think I might have this swing flaw figured out.

Are people making a lot of weight configuration changes in the driver? By that I mean I found the head to be extremely heavy compared to other drivers - I think it's the heaviest head of the major brands but could be wrong. It just really felt like I was fighting it and having to swing hard to generate clubhead speed. Combine the heavy head and the fact that the 10g weight in the heel was causing me constant fears of snap or hooks, I was getting close to listing it on ebay or here. One last time I went to the range with my different shafts and weights and decided to put a 2 gram weight in the heel and keep the 1 gram in the toe. The driver now feels much more playable as I removed 8 grams from the head weight and the hooks seem to have disappeared, at least for now. The shaft I switched in weighs more than the stock shaft so I think that counters any swingweight loss in the head when I put in the lighter weight. Last time at the range, I hit probably 15 consecutive mid trajectory shots that were either straight or had a 5 yard draw on them that were going a nice distance and they scooted when they hit ground. I then moved on to other clubs to hit. Curious if others have had similar success or failures by tinkering with the weights in the head like I did.

The original released R11 were a lot heavier than the current versions. It sounds like this might be the case.

The original released R11 were a lot heavier than the current versions. It sounds like this might be the case.

How do you tell which version you have? And how much difference in weight between the 2?

How do you tell which version you have? And how much difference in weight between the 2?

Great question, neither of which I know the answer to. Sorry. I just know that the initial release where heavier. How much heavier I don't know, but it was a significant amount. The other day I hit the two side by side and without changing anything in my swing I was getting 3.5 mph more on my SS with my R11.

I had my first night of league golf last night. The R11 started out a little rough, but came around after a few holes.

1st Hole, Par 4. I think I was a little excited, since it was my first night of league golf. I caught it on the toe and sent the ball out to the right. I was able to come back and bogey the hole out of the woods.

4th Hole, Par 5. I tried to readjust just a bit since I put the first drive out to the right. I sent this one straight left into the OB. Dang cost me a stroke out of the deal.

6th hole, Par4. I busted this one right down the middle. I think it ended up measuring out to about 275 ish out. Nice!

7th hole, Par 4. I hit a nice drive out that left me 60 to the green. I think this drive was about 240 and did roll out at all.

8th hole, Par 4. I topped this one and it went short. First time I have done that in a long time. Dang.

9th hole, Par 5. I busted a nice drive out into the middle of the fairway. What a way to put the driver to bed.

I think I had a good day driving. I was 4/7 fairways. I just need to tone down my misses. One caused me an OB and the other two left me with no shots at the green on Par 4s. That is not acceptable. I am heading out again Friday and I hope I can contain those misses just a bit more.

I had my first night of league golf last night. The R11 started out a little rough, but came around after a few holes.

1st Hole, Par 4. I think I was a little excited, since it was my first night of league golf. I caught it on the toe and sent the ball out to the right. I was able to come back and bogey the hole out of the woods.

4th Hole, Par 5. I tried to readjust just a bit since I put the first drive out to the right. I sent this one straight left into the OB. Dang cost me a stroke out of the deal.

6th hole, Par4. I busted this one right down the middle. I think it ended up measuring out to about 275 ish out. Nice!

7th hole, Par 4. I hit a nice drive out that left me 60 to the green. I think this drive was about 240 and did roll out at all.

8th hole, Par 4. I topped this one and it went short. First time I have done that in a long time. Dang.

9th hole, Par 5. I busted a nice drive out into the middle of the fairway. What a way to put the driver to bed.

I think I had a good day driving. I was 4/7 fairways. I just need to tone down my misses. One caused me an OB and the other two left me with no shots at the green on Par 4s. That is not acceptable. I am heading out again Friday and I hope I can contain those misses just a bit more.

not a bad start, I'd take 4/7 fairways right now, Im lucky to get 1 lol

Man, you're gonna be hitting it further?????? LOL. Great for Team Paradise.

I agree though. This driver has really surprised me in a lot of ways. I can't wait to get the settings dailed in.
I was hitting some bombs with it yesterday and that was working on tempo and accuracy. It helps to hit the sweet spot on this club, it just jumps. My buddies hate the new driver. They say it's a blur between the head the ball coming off the face like an Indy car. :D

Are people making a lot of weight configuration changes in the driver? By that I mean I found the head to be extremely heavy compared to other drivers - I think it's the heaviest head of the major brands but could be wrong. It just really felt like I was fighting it and having to swing hard to generate clubhead speed. Combine the heavy head and the fact that the 10g weight in the heel was causing me constant fears of snap or hooks, I was getting close to listing it on ebay or here. One last time I went to the range with my different shafts and weights and decided to put a 2 gram weight in the heel and keep the 1 gram in the toe. The driver now feels much more playable as I removed 8 grams from the head weight and the hooks seem to have disappeared, at least for now. The shaft I switched in weighs more than the stock shaft so I think that counters any swingweight loss in the head when I put in the lighter weight. Last time at the range, I hit probably 15 consecutive mid trajectory shots that were either straight or had a 5 yard draw on them that were going a nice distance and they scooted when they hit ground. I then moved on to other clubs to hit. Curious if others have had similar success or failures by tinkering with the weights in the head like I did.
I have no issues with the weight of the head. Heavier shaft and lighter head could really mess with the dynamics of the club and how it was designed. If it's working for you though, you could be lucky, so good for you. If you start getting some inconsistencies with the performance, you may want to go back to standard weighting and try one of TMs lighter shafts.

Dr. Teeth - either mine was one of the heavy ones or I'm a wuss because taking those weights out of the head last weekend really opened this driver up for me. Of course I didn't notice the weight the day I hit the thing on the monitor and bought it as I must have had my "A" game that day and really been swinging well. Odd thing is I hit my Supertri against it on the monitor and didn't really feel a difference. I suppose I was focused more on the numbers on the monitor than the feel.

Biggsy - Messing with the dynamics of the club is certainly something I'm concerned about and I have a Miyazaki Kusala shaft on the way that will weigh basically the same as the stock Taylormade shaft and then I will tinker by putting in like a 6 g in the heel and a 4 in the toe to see how that feels. Truth be told, it could just be that I need to set it up with two 6 grams and just don't like the feel of the club with the heavy weight in the heel and light one in the toe. I have two of all the different weights so I'll be able to dial it in as for someone like me who likes to tinker, that's the beauty of the different weights and the interchangeable shafts. I figure through experimentation I can dial it in so that I'm getting a consistent shot pattern. And that doesn't even factor in the subtle changes you can get by changing the loft or the sole plate. Heading for a golf outing in Missouri on Monday for 3 days when we will play 90 holes of golf so I'm gonna give it a thorough workout next week.

Played last weekend - 11 out of 14 fairways hit on a tight course! Really enjoying this club!

Played last weekend - 11 out of 14 fairways hit on a tight course! Really enjoying this club!

Great job Nate! I'm hoping go get my 4 wood out there today.

Tap before talk.

My T3 came yesterday! It has been like Christmas at my house. Each of the past 2 days I have had a Taylormade box waiting for me at home. I still have a couple more things coming so hopefully the trend continues today :D Can't wait to get the 3 wood out there to test!

Met some TMAG reps today and did some testing. Tried a bunch of different shafts (got the stock Blur 60 S in mine) and my numbers with that crushed those of the Project X 6.0 etc. Very happy with my driver, the numbers were really good.

Approx 270 carry, 300 with roll.
1.45+ smash
Around 2000 spin

Can't remember the other ones, but it feels really good to know that the stuff in the bag fits like me perfectly.

Met some TMAG reps today and did some testing. Tried a bunch of different shafts (got the stock Blur 60 S in mine) and my numbers with that crushed those of the Project X 6.0 etc. Very happy with my driver, the numbers were really good.

1.45+ smash
Around 2000 spin

Can't remember the other ones, but it feels really good to know that the stuff in the bag fits like me perfectly.
That's impressive, glad to hear it's working well for you.

Hit my driver and fw today at th range. Must have been an off driver day, hit everything down the pipe. My fw 3 was a beast putting my driver to sleep today. I have a rip beta in both and am loving it in my fw. I will be testing more with the driver but it looks like the blur will be going back in till mid summer. These clubs are just so accurate, I will take that any day!

Hit my driver and fw today at th range. Must have been an off driver day, hit everything down the pipe. My fw 3 was a beast putting my driver to sleep today. I have a rip beta in both and am loving it in my fw. I will be testing more with the driver but it looks like the blur will be going back in till mid summer. These clubs are just so accurate, I will take that any day!

thats awesome, keep it up!

1.45+ smash
Around 2000 spin

Those are fantastic numbers! I love WITB!

My T3 came yesterday! It has been like Christmas at my house. Each of the past 2 days I have had a Taylormade box waiting for me at home. I still have a couple more things coming so hopefully the trend continues today :D Can't wait to get the 3 wood out there to test!

Congrats on the T3 purchase! I am interested to see how it works for you and what settings you go with. How do you like the shaft? I am testing the T3 with the stock Blur and find it to be quite weak.

Congrats on the T3 purchase! I am interested to see how it works for you and what settings you go with. How do you like the shaft? I am testing the T3 with the stock Blur and find it to be quite weak.

I haven't got out to hit it yet, but this was the exact set up that I hit at The Kingdom and I was loving it! They had me hitting it dropped down to 13* on neutral and I was hitting it great. I think I will keep it at 14* and open the ASP. I dont know that I need that strong of a 3W. I tried the Blur shaft on the driver and the 3W and did not hit it well in either club. I am excited to give it a go. I'll definitely report back after I do.

I haven't got out to hit it yet, but this was the exact set up that I hit at The Kingdom and I was loving it! They had me hitting it dropped down to 13* on neutral and I was hitting it great. I think I will keep it at 14* and open the ASP. I dont know that I need that strong of a 3W. I tried the Blur shaft on the driver and the 3W and did not hit it well in either club. I am excited to give it a go. I'll definitely report back after I do.

Awesome! Good luck with it.

TAYLORMADE R11 4wood

Well, I snuck out today and only got 4 holes in because it was just to cold for me to be out golfing. Weather: 41* and cloudy.

Hole 1: short par 5. I hit the 4 wood off the tee and did my usual push into the right hand rough. Total distance was unimpressive. I hit it off the toe and you could most definitely tell by the sound.

I had 260 into the green and decided to hit the 4 wood again. I really ripped into it...but I hit an inch behind the ball and chunked it to about the 100 yard mark.

Hole 2: short par 4 trees left and further right. The ball headed just right and landed just off the fairway. Total yards were about 220. I hit this one pretty solid - trajectory was a mid flight. I've noticed with my longer clubs I really struggle with launch angle and I'm leaving some distance out there. But the shot was solid.

Hole 4: 370 par 4 and teed off with 4 wood again. Aimed left, pushed right - rolled to about 210ish in the fairway.

I'm still loving this club, but I'm hating my swing more and more. I want my launch to significantly increase, and I'm hoping as I get lessons my results with the r11 will improve as well.

Tap before talk.

Congrats, hope you hit it well!

I wonder what the new ti fw will be like? It's has a larger club face and I dunno if I would that. I am so used the my bomber 3

Got out today the R11 driver and 4W, and had a great day! Seriously a great day, hit my longest drive ever, I gps my shots during a practice round to give me a better idea of my yardages. 301 baby!! Granted I got a good rollout, but who freakin cares, I broke the 300 yd barrier! I joined up with a random other single and I'm pretty sure I freaked him out with my celebration. Something I noticed a lot today, this club really sounds great. My partner was playing a Nike dymo, same one I used to play and hearing him hit then hearing mine was cool. Much more traditional sound to me from the r11.

Only got to use the 4W three times, once on a ling par 3 into the wind, caught it a touch thin but still got decent results and barely rolled on...two putt par. Laid up on a par five of the tee with it as well, nice straight penetrating flight. 3rd time was operator error, pushed an approach down the right side. I must say though I absolutely love this club, actually a little longer than my dymo 3W.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Got out today the R11 driver and 4W, and had a great day! Seriously a great day, hit my longest drive ever, I gps my shots during a practice round to give me a better idea of my yardages. 301 baby!! Granted I got a good rollout, but who freakin cares, I broke the 300 yd barrier! I joined up with a random other single and I'm pretty sure I freaked him out with my celebration. Something I noticed a lot today, this club really sounds great. My partner was playing a Nike dymo, same one I used to play and hearing him hit then hearing mine was cool. Much more traditional sound to me from the r11.

Only got to use the 4W three times, once on a ling par 3 into the wind, caught it a touch thin but still got decent results and barely rolled on...two putt par. Laid up on a par five of the tee with it as well, nice straight penetrating flight. 3rd time was operator error, pushed an approach down the right side. I must say though I absolutely love this club, actually a little longer than my dymo 3W.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

SW Fla was bombing his R11 Driver on his last trip through middle Ga. Happy for ya buddy and awesome drive! Sounds like you got your mate for the long ball in the bag :thumb:

Back