TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

trying to decide whether or not i want a 3 wood or 4 wood.... I like both this and the SF but the SFs shaft is a little light. I want a 4 wood and a 2 hybrid but think the gaps won't be that different.

Depending on which 2 hybrid you go with the gaps might be almost identical. The SF is great off the tee and it might be something you may not find with a hybrid. I only hit the R11 FW once, so i can't speak much for that. But the SF is an excellent club for sweeping the ball.

R11 17* 4 Wood Testing

I was able to get the 4W out this moring between this run of storms we have been having. In my last round of testing I had the clubs FCT set to the lower position with the ASP in the closed position. Needless to say that combination of settings did not work well for me at all. I was having trouble getting the ball in the air and on top of that all I could hit was a big draw with good shots, which was still too much of a draw for my game and on the shots I wasnt hitting great I was generally seeing snap hooks.

So this time out I took the reccomendation of one of my fellow testers and adjusted the FCT to the higher position which changed the playable loft of the club to 18* and had the ASP in the open position. Wow did I see a world of difference over my previous round of testing. A very important part of this game is confidence, with the ASP closed during my previous testing I could just feel my confidence and comfort level decrease when I looked down at the closed face. Well today when I looked down at the club and saw a square to slightly open face I immediatley felt more comfortable with the club and just knew I was going to play better with it before I even struck a ball. I have always believed that you need to be comfortable looking at the clubs your playing to hit them well but having never owned a club that I could adjust the face angle on I never fully realized how much these minor visual changes could effect your confidence.

Now for the on course performance of these settings. From the first ball I struck I knew I was going to be able to attack the shot without fearing that dreaded hook. The first thing I noticed was that the ball was easily getting in the air and producing a much higher trajectory. As far as shot shape was concerned I was consistantly hitting more straight balls than I ever have in my life with a wood. My normal shot shape with woods is a small fade but it seemed even on minor mishits these shots werent moving off line any more than a couple of yards. Another thing I loved about these settings was that they easily allowed me to purposely hit either a draw or the small fade that I am so fond of. I did notice one thing that was slightly hindering some of my shots today. Today I was playing in approximately 15MHP winds and was seeing a bit of ballooning into the wind. Now I can not say for certain if this was a product of the increased loft from these settings and I was just getting the ball too high in the wind or if these settings were creating too much spin and thus causing the ball to balloon. Either way it was not something that was ruining my round and overall I was very pleased with the performance of the club today. As always I will try and answer any questions you may have.

Is the R11 for all golfers or just low hanicappers?

Is the R11 for all golfers or just low hanicappers?

I cannot speak to the driver since I have not hit it but I do feel that the R11 fairway wood would be better suited to more experienced golfers that werent looking for a high level of forgivness. Im not saying that a high handicapper could not play well with this club but due to its shallow face and what I consider to be a bit more aggresive leading edge than others I think this club has the characteristics to easily frustrate a player with an inconsistant swing.

Great writeup Hole out.

Just a quick note I went out again to hit and set the FCT on lower once again, again it gave me the same results of a higher ball flight.

Great writeup Hole out.

Just a quick note I went out again to hit and set the FCT on lower once again, again it gave me the same results of a higher ball flight.

Thanks man. Thats weird that you are seeing that with your ball flight. Is it a nice high ball flight or is the ball ballooning. Im just wondering if something in the club or the shaft is creating too much spin for your swing which is giving you the high ball flight.

Thanks man. Thats weird that you are seeing that with your ball flight. Is it a nice high ball flight or is the ball ballooning. Im just wondering if something in the club or the shaft is creating too much spin for your swing which is giving you the high ball flight.

It is a very small Balloon. While it looks like a nice high ball flight you can tell it doesn't get the distance it should.

Ordered a nine degree R11 with the Aldila RIP Beta shaft last night. Ships 4/20. The wait begins...

My custom built R-11 3 wood was delivered last night :alien2:

I will be taking it out for the first time on Sunday and I can't wait !!

New to the site, wanted to share my R11 setup. My ball flight previously was mid traj, straight or slight right to left. I started with everything nuetral and after much testing and adjusting here is my setup. I am using a Fubuki R9 TP 63gram shaft in stiff
R11 10.5 with FCT lowered to 9.5
ASP set to open
6 gram weight in heel, 4 gram in the toe
This setup produces a low to mid-height flight for me, straight or slight draw and I gotta say, my drives roll out forever
With 10g heel, 1g toe I was fighting a hook, and with 1g heel, 10g toe I was fading the ball

New to the site, wanted to share my R11 setup. My ball flight previously was mid traj, straight or slight right to left. I started with everything nuetral and after much testing and adjusting here is my setup. I am using a Fubuki R9 TP 63gram shaft in stiff
ASP set to open
This setup produces a low to mid-height flight for me, straight or slight draw and I gotta say, my drives roll out forever
With 10g heel, 1g toe I was fighting a hook, and with 1g heel, 10g toe I was fading the ball

Hey welcome to THP, also thanks for the info, sounds like its working good for ya.

Jealously is running through my veins. I hope it works just as well as your R11 driver.

So I went to the range again yesterday after work to work on some mechanics. My weekend range session was abysmal to say the least. This session was much better as I went back to basics with my swing. I wasn't trying to overpower the ball and swing my hips too fast. My slow steady "normal" swing helped me get back into the "swing" of things with this club. After about 10-15 balls I was dialed in and just grooving with the R11. My confidence has always lacked in both my swing and my club.With the R11 and the tuning I recieved at the Kingdom, I no longer have that lack of confidence in my equipment. I just need to work on my mechanics and developing a nice and easy stroke that will work on my consistency rather than distance.

Jealously is running through my veins. I hope it works just as well as your R11 driver.

So I went to the range again yesterday after work to work on some mechanics. My weekend range session was abysmal to say the least. This session was much better as I went back to basics with my swing. I wasn't trying to overpower the ball and swing my hips too fast. My slow steady "normal" swing helped me get back into the "swing" of things with this club. After about 10-15 balls I was dialed in and just grooving with the R11. My confidence has always lacked in both my swing and my club.With the R11 and the tuning I recieved at the Kingdom, I no longer have that lack of confidence in my equipment. I just need to work on my mechanics and developing a nice and easy stroke that will work on my consistency rather than distance.

It should work just fine. I was banging it at the Kingdom, so I have full confidence that this little jewel will be perfect !
I'm glad to hear your confidence is high with the R-11 !!

Hey congrats DD! I am waiting for my 3W to show up. What shaft did you get in your 3W?

I gotta say, the more I hit this club the easier it gets. I wasn't sure what to expect. It's not the most forgiving driver out there but if you don't try and muscle up it just works. I don't know how else to say it. The TP Blur also has to be one of the nicest shafts I've used. Nice penetrating flight and feels even throughout the swing.

Got the R11 back out yesterday at Whistling Straits hit 12 of 14 fairways, very happy about that. The driver is performing better and better every time i take it out. I have it set to 9.5 loft and everything else stock. The Blur shaft has really grown on me, it no longer feels numb, and on my best drives everything felt amazing. Still really happy about my purchase, probably going to move the weights around though as I am getting a draw from the stock weight settings which is what is supposed to happen according to TM's diagrams, but i would prefer a straight shot. Still love my R9 3w so i don't see a switch in that but I haven't even hit the R11 3w yet, some great reviews on here have got me thinking about it though!

What settings do you have it dialed in at?
I gotta say, the more I hit this club the easier it gets. I wasn't sure what to expect. It's not the most forgiving driver out there but if you don't try and muscle up it just works. I don't know how else to say it. The TP Blur also has to be one of the nicest shafts I've used. Nice penetrating flight and feels even throughout the swing.

Do any of you guys have the R11 driver with the RIP Alpha in it? This is the combo I am considering and was just curious if any one is playing it.

ASP set to open

Welcome to the site. Where did you find the 6 and 4 gram weights? I looked on the Taylormade online store and they only had 2, 8, 10, and 12 gram weights available for purchase.

Do any of you guys have the R11 driver with the RIP Alpha in it? This is the combo I am considering and was just curious if any one is playing it.

I have this combo sitting in my garage, but I have never hit it! I liked the Beta shaft, but wanted a bit lower flight so I went with the Alpha. I won the Kingdom Experience, and got the driver that I am using now fitted for me, so I have never hit this one.

I have this combo sitting in my garage, but I have never hit it! I liked the Beta shaft, but wanted a bit lower flight so I went with the Alpha. I won the Kingdom Experience, and got the driver that I am using now fitted for me, so I have never hit this one.

Dr. you are killing me! Haha! I really liked the Alpha in the 910 when I tried it but I haven't had a chance to try it in the R11.

The RIP Alpha is a very nice shaft in the R11. It was my 2nd favorite out of all the shafts I tested. It is a potent combo if the shaft characteristics are for your swing profile. It produced a nice low trajectory with low spin. I really liked the RIP Alpha but went with the Fubuki because my numbers were slightly better and I personally felt the Fubuki Alpha was a better feeling shaft for me. It just felt smoother through impact.

The RIP Alpha is a very nice shaft in the R11. It was my 2nd favorite out of all the shafts I tested. It is a potent combo if the shaft characteristics are for your swing profile. It produced a nice low trajectory with low spin. I really liked the RIP Alpha but went with the Fubuki because my numbers were slightly better and I personally felt the Fubuki Alpha was a better feeling shaft for me. It just felt smoother through impact.

Thanks for the input Mojo. I have the fubuki in my SuperTri and it can get a little high at times so I think the RIP Alpha will give me the flight I am looking for.

Thanks for the input Mojo. I have the fubuki in my SuperTri and it can get a little high at times so I think the RIP Alpha will give me the flight I am looking for.

It's the Fubuki Tour that you have I would think. The Fubuki Alpha is a lower launch lower spin than the Tour. Also keep in mind the R11 is a lot lower launching / spinning head design vs the supertri so your best bet would be to hit the various shafts on a launch monitor to find the perfect one for you in the R11. Either way Fubuki or Rip alpha you will be getting a great shaft.

Cheers!!

It's the Fubuki Tour that you have I would think. The Fubuki Alpha is a lower launch lower spin than the Tour. Also keep in mind the R11 is a lot lower launching / spinning head design vs the supertri so your best bet would be to hit the various shafts on a launch monitor to find the perfect one for you in the R11. Either way Fubuki or Rip alpha you will be getting a great shaft.

Cheers!!

Yeah that's the plan. I just need to track down a demo day or something. Unfortunately we only got a couple of the TP shafts in our fitting fitting cart at work.

Back