TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC Review Thread

what are you guys going to play wedge wise with these? I'm thinking about trying xft's or Vokey tvd's.

what are you guys going to play wedge wise with these? I'm thinking about trying xft's or Vokey tvd's.

I will continue to play my Callaways. They work best for the game that I want to play. The 'C grind' sole allows me to play a lot of different shots.

See my sig- those wedges aren't changing for a really long time.

See my sig- those wedges aren't changing for a really long time.

You playing the conforning grooves with the spinner shafts?

I am going to continue with my current setup. I absolutely love my CG15's.

You playing the conforning grooves with the spinner shafts?

non-conforming.
I am not a high spin player, so these are really helping me hold shots I normally wouldn't be able to.

I went to the range today and hit 2 large buckets. 1 bucket was strictly for the big stick I'm still trying to figure out, but the other was for my irons and hybrids.

I'm at the point now where I've pretty much honed in my distances from PW through 5 iron. I'm about as confident over PW through 7 iron as I've ever been with any irons I've played. While the mis-hits are still punishing me, they aren't doing so nearly as much or as often as I am making pretty consistent contact these days. With as many balls as I've beaten with these already, I can happily say I enjoy the experience as much as ever. I was checking out the club heads today, and despite the many, many shots, the wear on the face is hardly noticeable. They are holding up great.

My golf league starts next week. I can't wait to see how I hold up with these under pressure.

that's great news buddy. And here I thought you were dialed in already!
I went to the range today and hit 2 large buckets. 1 bucket was strictly for the big stick I'm still trying to figure out, but the other was for my irons and hybrids.

I'm at the point now where I've pretty much honed in my distances from PW through 5 iron. I'm about as confident over PW through 7 iron as I've ever been with any irons I've played. While the mis-hits are still punishing me, they aren't doing so nearly as much or as often as I am making pretty consistent contact these days. With as many balls as I've beaten with these already, I can happily say I enjoy the experience as much as ever. I was checking out the club heads today, and despite the many, many shots, the wear on the face is hardly noticeable. They are holding up great.

My golf league starts next week. I can't wait to see how I hold up with these under pressure.

Well I took these out on the course after work yesterday and I have to say that I am very pleased with my purchase. The front nine was a struggle. I wasn't used to the irons yet and put myself in some bad situations off the tee. That said I did birdie the two par 3s on the front nine with tight shots from the 9iron and PW. These perform exactly how I want them to. Low ball flight, penetrating shots, skip and check on pitches. The sound is what I found most pleasurable. These sound so different compared to my former irons. The report of the clubhead making contact and then watching the ball climb is something that I cannot get enough of.

The back nine I put my woods away and played nothing but irons. I can't tell you how much I am loving the long irons in this set. See the shot in your head, make the swing and the ball does exactly what you want it to do. I played 3 iron off the tee for most of the longer holes. I don't know if I'm in the honeymoon or what but I was dialed in with that club all day. My old set I was good for about 235 off the tee with my 3 iron. I'm seeing the same distance and maybe a little more with the MCs.

I'm trying to keep from getting bogged down in hyperbole but it's really tough not to. This is the most fun that I have had, ever. Staring at a 230 yard approach shot on the last par 5 on the back nine I had to pull back because I was laughing, collect myself and twack-another piercing shot lands exactly where I wanted it to.

As others have said, these have some forgiveness but it's not overbearing. You need to put a good swing on them and make solid contact to get what you want. I caught one tee shot a little on the toe and it cost me about 20 yards (ended up with a 205 yard approach to an elevated green, knocked the 5 iron to 15 feet).

As for me, once again I couldn't be happier. I am forced to focus more by playing these irons. However, that focus is rewarded with shots that I just wasn't seeing out of my old set.

Distance wise I didn't lose much from my x-20 clones (could be a result of the marginal workmanship of my last irons). The biggest change is in the profile of the shot, these (w/x100s) are producing a nice low climbing trajectory. The greens were inconsistently firm to medium yesterday. Some played like trampolines and others played pretty decently. On the softer greens I was seeing about a 4 foot roll out with the mid-irons. I was only able to play short irons into the firmer greens but was able to spin on shot back a foot or so and the other 2 times the ball ended up 6-8 inches past the point of impact (not sure if it checked back or not).

Final verdict on the back 9: 6 of 7 fairways hit. 8 of 9 greens in regulation. 2 over for a 38. Handicap, it's time to come on down! If they made a left handed 2 iron I probably would put it in the bag and completely scrap my woods.

All in all these are an absolute joy to play. I can't wait to get back to the course.

Well I took these out on the course after work yesterday and I have to say that I am very pleased with my purchase. The front nine was a struggle. I wasn't used to the irons yet and put myself in some bad situations off the tee. That said I did birdie the two par 3s on the front nine with tight shots from the 9iron and PW. These perform exactly how I want them to. Low ball flight, penetrating shots, skip and check on pitches. The sound is what I found most pleasurable. These sound so different compared to my former irons. The report of the clubhead making contact and then watching the ball climb is something that I cannot get enough of.

The back nine I put my woods away and played nothing but irons. I can't tell you how much I am loving the long irons in this set. See the shot in your head, make the swing and the ball does exactly what you want it to do. I played 3 iron off the tee for most of the longer holes. I don't know if I'm in the honeymoon or what but I was dialed in with that club all day. My old set I was good for about 235 off the tee with my 3 iron. I'm seeing the same distance and maybe a little more with the MCs.

I'm trying to keep from getting bogged down in hyperbole but it's really tough not to. This is the most fun that I have had, ever. Staring at a 230 yard approach shot on the last par 5 on the back nine I had to pull back because I was laughing, collect myself and twack-another piercing shot lands exactly where I wanted it to.

As others have said, these have some forgiveness but it's not overbearing. You need to put a good swing on them and make solid contact to get what you want. I caught one tee shot a little on the toe and it cost me about 20 yards (ended up with a 205 yard approach to an elevated green, knocked the 5 iron to 15 feet).

As for me, once again I couldn't be happier. I am forced to focus more by playing these irons. However, that focus is rewarded with shots that I just wasn't seeing out of my old set.

Distance wise I didn't lose much from my x-20 clones (could be a result of the marginal workmanship of my last irons). The biggest change is in the profile of the shot, these (w/x100s) are producing a nice low climbing trajectory. The greens were inconsistently firm to medium yesterday. Some played like trampolines and others played pretty decently. On the softer greens I was seeing about a 4 foot roll out with the mid-irons. I was only able to play short irons into the firmer greens but was able to spin on shot back a foot or so and the other 2 times the ball ended up 6-8 inches past the point of impact (not sure if it checked back or not).

Final verdict on the back 9: 6 of 7 fairways hit. 8 of 9 greens in regulation. 2 over for a 38. Handicap, it's time to come on down! If they made a left handed 2 iron I probably would put it in the bag and completely scrap my woods.

All in all these are an absolute joy to play. I can't wait to get back to the course.

Nice first thoughts! I am glad that those long irons are treating you well... maybe someday you could give me a few tips! If you can shoot a 2 over using just irons I don't even know why you would carry a driver!

I am hitting up a new range today after work. The goal is to continue to flight down my irons, which is something I have been working on, and to refind my driver swing. As always, the MC 7i is going to get a lot of work today and I'll throw up some thoughts on the process later tonight!

Great write up. You have me even more excited to get mine now. I like what you said about the irons making you focus more. A lot of my friends have asked me if I am concerned with my iron play because of getting forged TP irons but I tell them no because it will make me concentrate more on each shot.

I want to get to my home course sometime even though its 2 hours away now and play it with nothing but irons. I know the course like the back of my hand so I would like to see how I play on it with just irons.

Nice first thoughts! I am glad that those long irons are treating you well... maybe someday you could give me a few tips! If you can shoot a 2 over using just irons I don't even know why you would carry a driver!

I am hitting up a new range today after work. The goal is to continue to flight down my irons, which is something I have been working on, and to refind my driver swing. As always, the MC 7i is going to get a lot of work today and I'll throw up some thoughts on the process later tonight!

I carry the driver because I'm a huge tool and like to see the ball go far. The sad thing is that I get so psyched out by the big 460cc head and I lose focus about my swing and just try to mash it. I make a lot of Rory McIlroy shots and end up hacking out from between 2 cabins 200 yards from the fairway. Maybe I need to go back and but an older persimmon driver that I can focus with :D

I carry the driver because I'm a huge tool and like to see the ball go far. The sad thing is that I get so psyched out by the big 460cc head and I lose focus about my swing and just try to mash it. I make a lot of Rory McIlroy shots and end up hacking out from between 2 cabins 200 yards from the fairway. Maybe I need to go back and but an older persimmon driver that I can focus with :D

I know what you mean about the big headed drivers... I'll hit 5 out of 10 straight. Or somewhat straight. However, my old Cleveland Launcher 330...9/10 and about 270. I can hit the new clubs longer, but cant control them. If I went with a new club I think it would have to be a D3, R11, Razr Tour, or TL310. They all have the 440-445 CC heads that would maybe make me concentrate more instead of thinking with a 460CC head that I am getting an inside fastball belt high and swinging for the fence

Congrats on your purchase crafty! Now come to a THP outing so I can hit your irons!!! I'm glad you got them out and found immediate success. I need to hit these soon.

Congrats on your purchase crafty! Now come to a THP outing so I can hit your irons!!! I'm glad you got them out and found immediate success. I need to hit these soon.

Will do, as long as y'all don't make fun of my iron head covers and question my seriousness :D

Will do, as long as y'all don't make fun of my iron head covers and question my seriousness :D

I don't question anyone's seriousness. I'm going to enter the realm of seriousness soon. I also don't have a problem with iron covers either, and if those were mine, they'd be covered too!

Now, if we can just figure out how to get those snakes out of your bag :)

Now, if we can just figure out how to get those snakes out of your bag :)

I'm thinking that will be next summer's project. I've already blown my golf club budget out of the water this year :D

Had a chance to hit up the range on a beautiful spring evening here in Michigan. The range extends west and I was hitting directly into the sun so judging distances was difficult, but not impossible. After loosening up it was time to pull out the new irons. Unfortunately the grass tees are still closed so I was hitting off mats.

Like Lefty said these irons have a great sound when struck well, it's very satisfying when you hit one flush. I completely agree that you really have to concentrate when swinging these and I think that will only help my game. These are nowhere near as forgiving as my previous gamers, but again I think this is only going to help me groove a proper swing. I also found that mishits took anywhere from 10 - 20 yards off of a shot. Distances in the center of the club face and a half inch off only differed slightly. Overall feedback was great, you know where on the face you hit the ball and not just by wide margins but in the vein of "I hit that just off center towards the toe." Ball flight was low to mid and penetrating. For those of you that have the KBS Tours in your MC's they feel s-m-o-o-t-h smooth, very happy that I went with those shafts.

With my previous gamers when I really wanted to get agressive and rotate hard through a shot I would hit about a 15 - 20 yard hook. With the MC's I can get aggressive and move the ball right, left, up, down. Like lefty said - think of the shot, make the swing and see the ball do what you want to do with it. My overall distances have remained consistent which I'm very happy with because the Tour Burners have stronger lofts in them.

I struggled a bit with the 5 iron at first and after stepping back, calming down and concentrating on a short smooth swing I began to hit some nice flush shots. If I were to pick up the 3 and 4 irons and ditch my hybrids I might be tempted to get the CB instead of the MCs.

Looking forward to getting these out on the course this weekend, it's only supposed to be in the mid 40's but I just can't wait.

well i took the mc's out on the course today for first time. also first time hitting them. wow i could tell instantly where on the face i hit the ball. the project x shafts for my fast swing work great. hitting it medium an far. these are so much better than my taylormade 320's. cuts throught the grass like a knive through butter. played 9 holes only shot 36 had a chip in from 15 yards off green. an over drove a 340 yard par 4 from the pro tee's. love my new nike vr pro driver to sounds amazing.

Well my waiting is over. I just picked up my MC's. Of course it's only 40 degrees and I'm on daddy day care tonight. But I can hit the heated range tomorrow. Btw pro said two weeks and I got them in 13 days. Nice!

Well my waiting is over. I just picked up my MC's. Of course it's only 40 degrees and I'm on daddy day care tonight. But I can hit the heated range tomorrow. Btw pro said two weeks and I got them in 13 days. Nice!

Congrats dude!
They are sweet!

Awesome thread guys keep up the detailed reviews coming in

I got to spend about an hour on the range today with these boys again, working mostly on grooving my 7i.

I know we have all said how awesome they sound- in a moment of honesty I have to admit that I have kinda grown numb to the sound. After hearing it 1000 times (over the past 2 rounds of golf!) it is something that just doesn't seem to POP to me as much as it used to. That is, until yesterday. I had never been to the particular range that I used yesterday- and like every other driving range in the area, it was too wet for grass teeboxes. Instead they had us way up on a hill inside individual little huts that are heated in the winter. I took one shot with my 7i and it CRACKed inside my little box. It made me stop and just smile as the ball flew off the club and down the hill. Nothing like hearing the contact sound again for the first time to remind me how awesome my first range experience with them was!

Overall my dispersions are getting tighter and my confidence continues to grow. My goal is to put at least 1 bucket a day into the irons between now and the outing. I think its possible and ultimately it is what I need to do to become a better golfer. I even pulled out the 5i today and was seeing better results than earlier on this year.

Recap:
7i- working on the groove
5i- doesn't scare me as much as it used to
These sticks have an absolutely startling CRACK that is honestly pretty addictive.

Gus, I like your goal of a bucket a day. That's what it takes bro and you can do it.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Back