Television event to feature two pins per green

cj3ap2

Reaction score
Handicap
15ish
linkarooney

didn't see this posted anywhere, am fascinated, sort of, by it.

LONDON (AP) — Powerplay Golf is giving a very old sport a couple of new twists.

Hoping to change the face of a sport often considered to be staid and boring, organizers of the three-event series are looking to bring in new fans by offering a faster pace and more excitement with two pins per green and only nine holes in a round.

"Stand by for something very special," Scotland's Colin Montgomerie said in a statement Wednesday. "Golf around the world is about to discover a new dimension."

Montgomerie will be joined by U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell in a 12-player field that also includes former major winners Gary Player, John Daly and Ian Woosnam in a PowerPlay tournament in May at Celtic Manor.

In PowerPlay Golf, players can score different point totals depending on which of the two cups they go for on each green. The game is scored using a nine-hole "variation on golf's Stableford points scoring system," PowerPlay Golf said on its website.

Each player will get limited opportunities to putt to the black flag, which would be placed in a more difficult part of the green. If a player makes a birdie into that hole, more points are awarded.

On the final hole, all players can go for the black flag, where organizers said a "birdie wins points galore, and possibly the tournament ... but failure to make par spells disaster."

Player, a nine-time major winner, described the game's appeal by thinking back to his days at the Masters, a tournament he won three times.

"You are standing in the middle of the 18th fairway at Augusta National tied for the lead. What do you do? Do you go for the pin? If you it hit it right you make birdie and win. If you don't, you make bogey and lose," Player said. "Risk versus reward - one of the toughest decisions a champion has to make."

The event at Celtic Manor in Wales on May 30 is the inaugural tournament in the series, and the list of participants is likely to draw fans of the traditional game as as well as the newer version. The field also includes Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, Paula Creamer and Helen Alfredsson.

The game is meant to "increase golf's appeal to a wider sporting TV audience," PowerPlay Golf said. The winner of the tournament at Celtic Manor will receive $163,000.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it's new, it's outside the box, it's worth a shot. I'm all for that.

It brings more interest and eyes to the game, I'm all for that, kind of. If this is intended to bring in folks who, as the article says, staid and boring, well I don't know if that's a good idea.

I think back to a bs report i was listening to last week where simmons and guest were discussing the absurdity of how nba teams play music while the game is being played. Everything is ment to draw in consumers who otherwise would have no interest in the game. Those people aren't going to care either way, I'm not sure if trying to draw in people to golf who think it's boring by trying new bells and whistles is ultimately going to do much for the golf community or the potential new consumer. At the end of the day golf is still golf, just as basketball is still basketball; if you're in, you're in either way, if you're not, you're not.

It is worth a shot though, nothing wrong with that.

This could be fun as a change of pace but I wouldn't want golf changed to this.

It is just another game, I will still play golf but would try this one too.

I would watch but I totally understand JB's point about not wanting to attract the "non golfer". It can be a little unsettling when playing around people that can't appreciate the game or understand some of the etiquette.

I'll watch. I like the stableford scoring system in general and I wish it was used at least once in a while!

The game can only grow and sustain itself by bringing in new people. I think it is a great idea to attract new players potentially. It certainly won't replace golf as we know it, but it would be interesting to play a round like this. Really no different then the games some play like scrambles, only using 4 clubs, alternate shot, etc.

Here is the article from our local paper on it!

Pro golfers set to debut faster version of game: PowerPlay. @Province http://bit.ly/hmxGWn

Looks interesting for sure

Cheers

I guess I'm just not feeling it with this one. Since I don't get Golf Channel I'll never get a chance to see it anyway. I would prefer to see an LPGA event, or a EURO tour stop.

I think this would be very entertaining and a great idea

Sounds like a fun alternative game.

Back