Cost of fitting and replacing everything!

Aaronrules

Reaction score
Handicap
In my intro to myself thread I posted this:

I had a number in my mind of how much money I am going to throw down on these new clubs with the fittings and all that stuff. I am basically looking to replace everything in my bag. Driver, 3 wood, 3 iron on down thru wedges, and my putter. If I get a good deal, does it seem possible to get all this for around 1000$. I'm not thinking that I need the top of the line most expensive set out there. I was looking into the superluanch stuff from Taylor Made, or the Diablo stuff from Callaway. I just have no idea how much getting fitted and stuff runs.

The closest Golf Tec is in Tulsa which I would make the trip if it's worth it! Hour and half drive. There is a place in my town that does fittings, and they have some kind technology to look at your swing speed and stuff, I have never been in there so I don't for sure what they have.

I basically just want to know if it's possible to get a new set-up minus the bag for around $1000.

Going with major OEM stuff, I would think it would be pretty tough to stay under $1000. Just do it a step at a time. Maybe start with the clubs or area you struggle with the most and go from there?

Moved this over to the fitting section.

I like the GolfTEC fittings. Been through two and they have been great experiences. You can fit anything into a budget if you need to, but keep in mind that when doing so, its hard to get aftermarket in some cases if you want them to be fit for you. For example lets say the fitting determines that you are 3 degrees flat. You would need to order those irons to those specs for some sets rather than getting them adjusted after the fact (using superlaunch as an example).

I would recommend starting with the fitting from an unbiased fitting source and then figure it out from there.

Used driver for about $200 new for between $300-$500
New putter for between $90-$170
decent used irons $250-$500
Wedges TM's are going for $70 per right now

That comes to just under or just over $1000

If you go with Nickent you can probably get away for much less than $1000.

Rockbottomgolf has the Nickent 4dX Evolver, new, on sale this week for $49.99. It's the driver I currently play and I really like it. Adjustable as well.
Their hybrids are great and I have read many glowing reviews here on THP about their iron sets (but I have yet to try any).
If you are open to OEM's other than the current "superstars", give Nickent a look.

If you go with Nickent you can probably get away for much less than $1000.

Rockbottomgolf has the Nickent 4dX Evolver, new, on sale this week for $49.99. It's the driver I currently play and I really like it. Adjustable as well.
Their hybrids are great and I have read many glowing reviews here on THP about their iron sets (but I have yet to try any).
If you are open to OEM's other than the current "superstars", give Nickent a look.

No question but it might be hard to find that gear in the proper fitting specs assuming items need to be bent/altered. 4DX CBs are not really bendable more than a degree in our testing...Maybe 2 degrees. Getting hybrids in a properly fit shaft would be hard without buying it and reshafting on your own. Same with wedges, etc....

I would have to agree with many on here. Replacing a whole set for that price point might be tough. Start your set one club at a time, overtime you will have replaced your entire set and it will all be custom fit to your liking. If it were me I'd start with a few hybrids and irons.

I like JBs thought. Get a fitting first, then you'll know what you need.

You never know, you may stumble across a cancelled custom order or really good second hand set in your specs for a bargain. If you don't know those specs, that definitely won't happen!

I 've used Golftec. I would go there 1st. Build up your set. You dont have to get everything at once.

I 've used Golftec. I would go there 1st. Build up your set. You dont have to get everything at once.

That is the bottom line, go slow and be sure what you get fits your swing. I have tried the buy and try method over the years and I know it just is really hit or miss. I have owned 3 sets of irons for less than 3 months each as they were so totally wrong for me and uncountable drivers over the years, and yep they were some of the hottest on the market at that particular time.

Throw out the idea of getting TM, Callaway, any brand. A proper fitting should decide that for you. $1000 is tough with all new gear. Standard issue drivers run $300. You could easily assemble a great set for under 1k if you forget about having it customized. If I were in your shoes I would start with a putter, then wedges, then irons/hybrid set. That should use up most of cash. Or wait and save up some more. $1500 should get the job done.

I might be able to go up in the price if it will get it done. I can hit my driver pretty good now, I could hold off on that one, but I REALLY need to get a new set of irons and wedges...the only time I am confident with any of the clubs in my bag now is my driver.

Where is the cost in getting a fitting? Is it in the actually measuring and stuff, or the actual stuff they are replacing or fitting me into? I don't know what goes into a fitting and what they can do to a set of clubs. I think that just getting a set that has shafts that are long enough for how tall I am and are game improvement clubs, that might be the only real thing I need at this point. I literally have no brand loyalty...I will hit anything that will go straight and long!

Say I go get a set of irons that start at $500. What can be done to them in a fitting that would drive up the price other than shafts and grips? That is the questions that I have been trying to get too, but had no idea how to ask it.

edit: After reading the GolfTec website, it looks like it will just be around $100 to get the fitting then the cost of the clubs. The irons are for sure going to happen, hopefully I can do wedges and putter and hybrids or fairway woods.

Last edited:
I have the Diablo Edge irons and I like them a lot. You can get a set with the 3H, 4H, and 5 - PW on sale for around $500-600 right now. Of course, you'd also want to add a SW and a LW. There are lots of last year's drivers on sale for $200 or less too. So I think that if you comparison shop a bit, coming in close to $1k should be possible.

I tried doing this last year, it didn't work so well.
Now I wish I had held off on my driver for something different.

I tried doing this last year, it didn't work so well.
Now I wish I had held off on my driver for something different.
Wow sorry to read that. I first did my driver and added well over 30 yards from the biggining. Then My irons I hit my Cobra 8 iron 115 my G15 that I got fitted for I hit 8 iron 140+ yards. Had a few friend do it and they have also gotten alot of Yardage.

I live in Jacksonville, FL and I'm a member out at TPC Sawgrass (Trust me...I'm not loaded lol...it's just $2400 for the year.) where they have Fuzion Golf.

Avery, the guy who fit me is amazing. Does tour quality work...which makes sense considering he used to do the tour truck for TaylorMade. Some of you might even know him!

As far as price, the fitting was just under $200. The clubs I was fit for...not so affordable!

Here's my list:

Titleist 910D3 8.5 Diamana Whiteboard 83 X - $830
Titleist 910DF 13.5 Aldila RIP Gamma 80 X - $640
TaylorMade Rescue '11 TP Oban Devotion Hybrid X - $600
Mizuno Mp-63 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 .5 Flat +1 1/2 Long +2 Strong- $1500

This is obviously crazy expensive but after it's all factored in, these prices are pretty close to right on after you factor in the labor, shafts, tips, and heads. They build the clubs themselves to where loft, lie, length, swing weight, and frequencies are all matched and consistent throughout the set.

Not going to be able to pull the trigger right now but irons within a couple weeks to get me started. I take the game pretty serious so to me, it's worth it to know I'll never have to question my equipment.

I figured I'd post to show how expensive it can get!

BTW...first post here! Glad to join the many who love the game here!

Most of the place around me charges $200-$250 for a full bag fitting. But if you go to a demo day some places waive the fitting fee or give you a good discount if you get clubs then. Other than shaft and grip I don't think their is a club upcharge when it comes the fitting process. I just went through my second fitting process a few weeks ago and I would recommend it to anyone no matter how much they are spending on clubs.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

The place that is in my town is the kind of place that build the clubs there. I'm assuming that they would take set of Diablo's for example and fit/change the shafts and grips and I guess bend the club heads to lie the correct way, vs. sending the manufacturer the specs. They say on their website that their way gets a better and more complete fitted club.

No matter what, I will for sure be getting a full on iron/wedge set done. I hope to get a putter and driver too. I can hit my driver now, but my everything else is really hit or miss and improving my irons will make playing actually more enjoyable instead of frustrating!

Not to throw cold water, buying clubs is fun. But if you are really a 36 handicap, I would ditch the idea of buying clubs and spend my money on lessons first. Your swing is still a work in progress and getting fit to a swing that is changing is like spending $1000 on a pair of kids shoes.

Not to throw cold water, buying clubs is fun. But if you are really a 36 handicap, I would ditch the idea of buying clubs and spend my money on lessons first. Your swing is still a work in progress and getting fit to a swing that is changing is like spending $1000 on a pair of kids shoes.

EXACTLY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Don't let my wife hear you say that. She absolutely had to have baby Uggs for our first. Those lasted, oh, 6 weeks maybe?

Back