Wilson Staff FG Tour Balls

BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, So I've decided that I need a ball that has a "low compression" core. I know that I need to be able to compress the ball more and send it farther, and with these low compression balls, I should achieve that. That being said, I have a question....

Has anyone tried the Wilson Staff FG Tour golf balls? Wilson states in their press release “the FG Tour was created as a low compression solution for competitive players looking for tour-caliber spin, maximum greenside control and excellent distance”.

I know The_Paulo seems to be a WS junkie. Anyone else give them some swings? Thanks for any reviews/thoughts on them you can give. Hope there isn't a thread/review already here (I searched! I searched!)

BulldogsGolf :confused2:

It's a very good ball at a very good price. I like them around the green...nice off the putter, plenty of spin around the green. They feel good off the irons, and good distance off the driver. They are worth a try. Perhaps you can pick up a sleeve?

It is my gamer ball and has been for awhile now and, i had a fitting today and my highest driver S.S. was 116 and my smooth 7-iron s.s. was 91. The core compression is low (75) i think which helps compress it more with scoring irons and wedges which will give more greenside spin. After the cover is added the total compression goes up in the 90's which is not ultra low and will still give you distance from the tee. They putt great too i suggest you give them a try they are as good as any other tour level urethane ball that is out and cheaper too. They should get much more attention when it comes to the best ball for average joes like us.

Interested it how it turns out. Im looking at changing my ball

Ok, So I've decided that I need a ball that has a "low compression" core. I know that I need to be able to compress the ball more and send it farther, and with these low compression balls, I should achieve that. That being said, I have a question....

Has anyone tried the Wilson Staff FG Tour golf balls? Wilson states in their press release “the FG Tour was created as a low compression solution for competitive players looking for tour-caliber spin, maximum greenside control and excellent distance”.

I know The_Paulo seems to be a WS junkie. Anyone else give them some swings? Thanks for any reviews/thoughts on them you can give. Hope there isn't a thread/review already here (I searched! I searched!)

BulldogsGolf :confused2:

haha, I play at being a (whatever I've got in my bag) junkie a bit. :wink: Truth is I play and love anything that makes me enjoy the game more!

That said, I have been very impressed by my recent foray into Wilsonville. Their stuff (that I've tried) seems to flat out compete.

I haven't yet got my hands on the FG Tour ball. I tried the TX4 Pro (?), which I believe is the previous incarnation, and was mildly impressed. Seems to spin a lot and is about average off the driver for me. Enough to make me want to give the FG Tour a go anyway. The resident fitter at the Wilson factory was very complimentary about this ball too, seemed to think it could be useful.

I'd be interested in any other experience with this ball too. Seems to be at a good price (as with a lot of Wilson stuff), and promise good performance characteristics.

they are as good as any other tour level urethane ball that is out and cheaper too. They should get much more attention when it comes to the best ball for average joes like us.

Why? What makes them stand out that should get more attention. They spin less than most of the tour balls we have tested against (albeit slightly less) around the greens. Compress in the middle of SS making them not hard enough for fast swing speeds and too hard for slow swing speeds (again in our testing). Im shocked that with a 116 SS you are not seeing any ballooning. On the launch monitor we sure do at that swing speed.

They are as good as any other tour level ball? What have you compared them to that you can safely say that? A ball is only as good as the player it is fitting.

Why? What makes them stand out that should get more attention. They spin less than most of the tour balls we have tested against (albeit slightly less) around the greens. Compress in the middle of SS making them not hard enough for fast swing speeds and too hard for slow swing speeds (again in our testing). Im shocked that with a 116 SS you are not seeing any ballooning. On the launch monitor we sure do at that swing speed.

They are as good as any other tour level ball? What have you compared them to that you can safely say that? A ball is only as good as the player it is fitting.

I gamed this ball after reading some reviews, just 2 sleeves, and the spin around the green was decent, but not great. Did not like it off of the driver at all, it felt like I was over compressing the ball. So I agree with a lot of your points as well.

Don't know about the Wilson, but the Bridgestone B330-RX has one of the lowest compression cores available among tour calibre balls, or so they told me at my fitting. I loves them. :)

j.b. not everyone swings like your launch monitor i guess and that is really all i got to say about it. I have tried it against every urethane ball as far as 2010 models and i will just say my results vary from you and your launch monitors quite a bit.

Last edited:
j.b. not everyone swings like your launch monitor i guess and that is really all i got to say about it. I have tried it against every urethane ball as far as 2010 models and i will just say my results vary from you and your launch monitors quite a bit.

Launch monitors dont swing clubs. They merely measure data from regular golfers swinging clubs. You must have launch monitor confused with robot/iron byron.

Launch monitors dont swing clubs. They merely measure data from regular golfers swinging clubs. You must have launch monitor confused with robot/iron byron.

Yea after reading that i couldnt think straight but, anyway i dont see what your launch monitors see.

O.P. If you can try a sleeve and see what YOU think and let us all know .

OK, so do any of you guys think these would be ok for me? I have a driver SS about 95. I am not a big hitter, but I play tour level spinny balls because I can spin them like mad around the greens, which I like (Callaway tour i and Nike One Tour).

OK, so do any of you guys think these would be ok for me? I have a driver SS about 95. I am not a big hitter, but I play tour level spinny balls because I can spin them like mad around the greens, which I like (Callaway tour i and Nike One Tour).

I think it would be a great ball to try, i play it everyday that i play golf and, i may lose 3-5 yards off of the tee but, your driver s.s. is what this ball is made for so you may gain a few yards. That 3-5 yards doesnt mean a thing to me because of how it performs on approaches and chips into the green and, the feel off the putter the soft feel is very pleasing to me for some reason. I think you will be impressed, it spins a little less than a prov 1 but more than some other urethanes so i guess its right in the middle which is plenty spin for me.

Back