The Gift of Tiger Woods

I for one am a fan of Tiger Woods the golfer. I've said this before, the only reason I know he's even alive is because of golf. I have never seen him offer a parenting video, or sell me anything because of his family life prior nor would I have bought it anyway, because he's a golfer! His private life is exactly that and doesn't occur between the ropes.

So based on that, I have an extreme question for you. Would you be a fan of his if you found out he was involved with something criminally? Whether it be drugs or anything else, would that affect how you feel about him? I mean it would not take anything away from his golf skills obviously, so whether or not he was involved with ANYTHING outside of the ropes, would not change that for you?

Jebus...another thread arguing about Tiger Woods. I wish he would have just kept his pennis in his pants or at least not got caught.

"If my son needs a role model, and he will, that person should be me. "

The most important sentence in that entire article.

That is such a tired cliche. You can thank Nike, the company willing to pay truly bad people to push their products, for making up that crap. Reminds me of another cliche. "I just call 'em as I see 'em." The never ending excuse to be rude, boorish, or worse.

Do you have any clue how many fathers/parents expect the world to raise their children? I am not a bad parent, my child just has ADD. I am not a bad parent, the school system stinks. I am not a bad parent... I have a lot of friends who are teachers and a constant theme in my conversations with them is parents expecting the schools to raise their children.

Not having a child this is easy to say- but taking ownership of the relationship you have with your child is the single most important thing a parent can do, and so few do it. When all is said and done the kid may look up to an athlete and model that person, but it is the parent who interacts, one on one, with their child every day for 18 years. If the kid picks up tigers on the course mannerisms it is the PARENTS job to fix. If my child grows up to act like Tiger on the golf course, it is on ME as the parent, not on Tiger the golfer.

The line in bold is a gross exaggeration, and that belief has partially grown out of Nike's stupid role model campaign. People make sweeping generalizations like that so they can say the role model statement is profound, and then excuse the poor behavior of those like Tiger, Jordan, Barkley, etc. Have a kid or two, get involved, and you'll see most parents do a pretty good job.

Kevin

I'm not debating whether or not blaming a sports figure it is wrong or not. I think it's ridiculous. But people have this idea that if you sit down with your kid and have full house family time everything will turn out fine. I guess it pisses me off to an extent.

My view on what constitutes a bad parent has really turned around. To me its a minority that don't try. I guess unless you're in the spot it's hard to even see. I'm gonna bow out because I can't haha.

But while Hawk said the line was a cop out... saying that a sports figure will cause your child to grow up "wrong" (aka- having Tiger as a role model) is even more of one. Tiger never sat with your child at the breakfast table. Tiger never played a round of golf with your boy. Snookie never taught your child how to read, or disciplined them when they acted out of line.

To blame the outside influences of an athlete for your child's behavior is an absolute cop out. Take responsibility for your role.

Yoccos- I trust that you put forth the effort and the time needed to raise a child right. In fact, most every THPer I have met has their priorities in line with how they raise their children. I am consistently impressed by the members here. I also recognize that much of the world doesn't happen this way. Fathers neglect their children for all sorts of reasons, not the least of which is their jobs.

I am not at all doubting how difficult it is to raise a child, and how there are no perfect parents. I am saying that some don't put in the heart or effort that you obviously do- and still expect their kids to come out OK. Then, when the kids don't come out OK they blame TW instead of themselves.

(I 100% recognize that good parents can have kids go astray. I 100% recognize that bad parents can have children to go on to do great things. I am only presenting a majority picture)

That is such a tired cliche. You can thank Nike, the company willing to pay truly bad people to push their products, for making up that crap.

Interesting... in what way is it a cliche to be the role model for your child? At worst, it may not be a reality in all cases, but it should at least be the goal we strive for. It's sad if that notion has now become a cliche.

This is long winded so if you don't wish to read this is your warning, lol.

This article is really kind of moving for me because it takes me back to sitting in my living room with my dad and watching tiger win his first Masters. I was 11 years old in April of 1997 and had not touched a golf club since I was 7, the year that I gave up golf for baseball because they conflicted.

I grew up watching Michael Jordan and while I loved him, I couldn't really call him mine. He had already won a few championships and I was too young to sit still and watch them.

However, in April of 1997, I watched all four days of the Masters with my Dad and he kept telling me about Jack and all that Jack meant to the game and was his inspiration for picking up a golf club. Continually, he would tell me there will never be another Jack. Sunday night, as the sun is going down and Tiger sinks that last putt, my dad tells me there is your Jack.

Tiger winning the Masters in 1997 changed my life in so many ways that, only now looking back on it, I can fully understand it. He made me pick up a golf club again. He got me and my father back onto a golf course and playing together whenever he could get time off from his 60 hrs a week job. When I went to high school, I made the golf team because of Tiger Woods. We, as a team, set school records and had extraordinary success because of Tiger Woods. Afterall, he is the one that drove nearly every one of us into golf.

Over the years of countless fist pumps and unthinkable shots, Tiger became THE sports figure for me. I am probably a bigger fan of the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians, but I no longer get attached to certain players knowing that in small market, Cleveland Ohio, not many players will stay for their entire careers. They would come and they would go. Tiger, however, would always be there. He wasn't playing for any other team than his own.

Tiger was the closest thing to perfection that we will ever find in an athlete. It is unfortunate that his personal life was laid open for everyone to see by his wrongdoings. I do not condone what Tiger did in his personal life, but as this article states, that is not why people love Tiger Woods. They love Tiger Woods because of the way they make him feel when he pumps his fist, chases his ball to the cup, or makes a run like he did Sunday.

On Sunday, I was calling my dad and texting him all day talking about Tiger. Although we were 200 miles away, it felt as if we were back in the living room watching Tiger in 1997. That same feel of excitement. Every tee shot, every approach, every chip, and every putt. The excitement would build with every swing and although he fell short, he brought us back for 18 holes and made us remember why Tiger Woods is so important to our lives and who we have become.

As disappointed as I am that Tiger did not win the tournament, he gave me proof on Sunday that he can still be the same golfer I grew up watching.

So based on that, I have an extreme question for you. Would you be a fan of his if you found out he was involved with something criminally? Whether it be drugs or anything else, would that affect how you feel about him? I mean it would not take anything away from his golf skills obviously, so whether or not he was involved with ANYTHING outside of the ropes, would not change that for you?

That's a great question and yes I believe I would think differently. So no, I don't think I would be a fan at that point. If it were illegal, he likely wouldn't be playing anymore anyway. This is tough obviously because we'd be comparing apples to oranges with the type and severity of the crime and I'm sure I'll contradict myself because of the use of that word alone.

I'd probably have to say it comes down to what anyone is convicted of. Its taken me a long time to type this out and I've gone through quite a few scenarios that I've ended up deleting and I was even going to reference Martha Stewart.

Alas this is my response to your tough question. That I will likely contradict at a later time...

Jebus...another thread arguing about Tiger Woods. I wish he would have just kept his pennis in his pants or at least not got caught.

Man One-T, I can't rep you for that... stupid 24 hour rule.

That's a great question and yes I believe I would think differently. So no, I don't think I would be a fan at that point. If it were illegal, he likely wouldn't be playing anymore anyway. This is tough obviously because we'd be comparing apples to oranges with the type and severity of the crime and I'm sure I'll contradict myself because of the use of that word alone.

I'd probably have to say it comes down to what anyone is convicted of. Its taken me a long time to type this out and I've gone through quite a few scenarios that I've ended up deleting and I was even going to reference Martha Stewart.

Alas this is my response to your tough question. That I will likely contradict at a later time...

Thank you for your honesty. That shows that the notion that we hear all the time that "I only care about the golf" is nothing but rubbish. As I have said before, nobody can really say they separate personal and professional, they just have different thresholds, that they as human beings, feel okay rooting for. Others have different thresholds as humans and take things differently.

That is such a tired cliche. You can thank Nike, the company willing to pay truly bad people to push their products, for making up that crap. Reminds me of another cliche. "I just call 'em as I see 'em." The never ending excuse to be rude, boorish, or worse.

The line in bold is a gross exaggeration, and that belief has partially grown out of Nike's stupid role model campaign. People make sweeping generalizations like that so they can say the role model statement is profound, and then excuse the poor behavior of those like Tiger, Jordan, Barkley, etc. Have a kid or two, get involved, and you'll see most parents do a pretty good job.

Kevin

I am not really sure what Nike commercial/advertising you are referring to. I am also sure that what I (and others) see as a larger issue in society has existed long before nike, and will exist long after nike is forgotten. I think an assumption that nike started a "cliche line of thought" is a gross exaggeration too. I guess that makes us even then?

Thank you for your honesty. That shows that the notion that we hear all the time that "I only care about the golf" is nothing but rubbish. As I have said before, nobody can really say they separate personal and professional, they just have different thresholds, that they as human beings, feel okay rooting for. Others have different thresholds as humans and take things differently.

I do believe I only care about the golf AT THIS TIME. If he were to commit some other illegal heinous act, that would still not degrade his prior accomplishments as a golfer in my mind.

Shooting 31 on the front wasn't exciting? The possibility of the individual with the 2nd most majors all time contending on the back wasn't exciting?

Didn't say his front 9 wasn't exciting. Watching him limp home (relatively of course), that wasn't AS exciting as the golf going on elsewhere.

I am not really sure what Nike commercial/advertising you are referring to. I am also sure that what I (and others) see as a larger issue in society has existed long before nike, and will exist long after nike is forgotten. I think an assumption that nike started a "cliche line of thought" is a gross exaggeration too. I guess that makes us even then?

I think its a demographic thing then. Because everybody I know my age or older has many memories of Nike launching their "Im not a role model" campaign after Barkley had another tirade. The lovable character that is now Charles Barkley was once the guy that EVERYBODY could not stand due to both on and off the court fiascos. Nike then started a campaign with Barkley stating "Im not a role model". The message was a good one in some ways, but so ridiculous in others.

Interesting... in what way is it a cliche to be the role model for your child? At worst, it may not be a reality in all cases, but it should at least be the goal we strive for. It's sad if that notion has now become a cliche.

You miss the point. It's a given that parents should be a role model for their parents. What's become a cliche is using the thought athletes or celebrities are not role models to ignore their bad behavior.

Kevin

I do believe I only care about the golf AT THIS TIME. If he were to commit some other illegal heinous act, that would still not degrade his prior accomplishments as a golfer in my mind.

No offense, but I am not sure I buy that. If you found out tomorrow that he had raped and murdered 12 children, I find it hard to believe that you would still have fond memories of his major victories. Again, no offense meant at all, just slightly puzzling from an outsider looking in.

This is long winded so if you don't wish to read this is your warning, lol.

This article is really kind of moving for me because it takes me back to sitting in my living room with my dad and watching tiger win his first Masters. I was 11 years old in April of 1997 and had not touched a golf club since I was 7, the year that I gave up golf for baseball because they conflicted.

I grew up watching Michael Jordan and while I loved him, I couldn't really call him mine. He had already won a few championships and I was too young to sit still and watch them.

However, in April of 1997, I watched all four days of the Masters with my Dad and he kept telling me about Jack and all that Jack meant to the game and was his inspiration for picking up a golf club. Continually, he would tell me there will never be another Jack. Sunday night, as the sun is going down and Tiger sinks that last putt, my dad tells me there is your Jack.

Tiger winning the Masters in 1997 changed my life in so many ways that, only now looking back on it, I can fully understand it. He made me pick up a golf club again. He got me and my father back onto a golf course and playing together whenever he could get time off from his 60 hrs a week job. When I went to high school, I made the golf team because of Tiger Woods. We, as a team, set school records and had extraordinary success because of Tiger Woods. Afterall, he is the one that drove nearly every one of us into golf.

Over the years of countless fist pumps and unthinkable shots, Tiger became THE sports figure for me. I am probably a bigger fan of the Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Indians, but I no longer get attached to certain players knowing that in small market, Cleveland Ohio, not many players will stay for their entire careers. They would come and they would go. Tiger, however, would always be there. He wasn't playing for any other team than his own.

Tiger was the closest thing to perfection that we will ever find in an athlete. It is unfortunate that his personal life was laid open for everyone to see by his wrongdoings. I do not condone what Tiger did in his personal life, but as this article states, that is not why people love Tiger Woods. They love Tiger Woods because of the way they make him feel when he pumps his fist, chases his ball to the cup, or makes a run like he did Sunday.

On Sunday, I was calling my dad and texting him all day talking about Tiger. Although we were 200 miles away, it felt as if we were back in the living room watching Tiger in 1997. That same feel of excitement. Every tee shot, every approach, every chip, and every putt. The excitement would build with every swing and although he fell short, he brought us back for 18 holes and made us remember why Tiger Woods is so important to our lives and who we have become.

As disappointed as I am that Tiger did not win the tournament, he gave me proof on Sunday that he can still be the same golfer I grew up watching.
Well said Mercer, nothing anyone can say should be able to make you feel differently. I agree that Tiger is our Jack and that is one of things that I most appreciate about being able to live in this era. It would be like someone getting to watch Hogan or Nicklaus in their prime.

Man One-T, I can't rep you for that... stupid 24 hour rule.

Thanks buddy, I guess I just dont get why we argue about Tiger all the time. Yes, we know that Jake has pictures of Tiger everwhere and I respect that. Young Thainer would bathe in Luke Donalds sweat. I choose to have pictures of Jeff Overton, TC has Westooths bra, Ddec loves anything that deals with European stats, Yoccos can throw a football further than Jay Cutler, Spank IS Christina Kim, and Gray taught Boo Weekley English. But all of this makes us who we are, essentially we are all here because we love golf and THP anfd I just hate seeing friendly banter turn into arguing. Especially when its about a professional athlete. I for one will not waste my time arguing with friends about another person. I can assure you that Tiger doesnt give a damn what One-T is doing.

First of all, I think that this column was very good. While I did not expect him to win even as he made the turn, I relished the opportunity to see Tiger play GOLF the way he used to, if only for a few holes Sunday. I hope there are some moments in the years to come where he can play well enough to create more special moments in a Major that I can share with my boys, and that they remember and connect with watching them with me the same way I connect Nicklaus ‘86 with my dad.

The cursing or temper issues are teaching moments, and I don't believe for a second that most of you have never said a word or slammed a club at least once in your golf lives, you’re just not on live TV when you do it. If you shelter your kids to the degree that these on the course actions are morally reprehensible (not just objectionable), how in the world are you going to respond to the BIG issues in their lives?

Sports in general carry questionable morals both on and off the venue. Many sports are filled with violence, we all cheer the big hits in football and fights in hockey. We laugh off injuries, and berate players who aren’t “tough” enough. We want them to be better, faster, stronger regardless of the cost to their own well-being. When they fail (personally or professionally), we berate them for not being better than they are.

You are all entitled to express your own opinions, but I couldn’t care less what (or who) Tiger was doing off the course. That’s between him, Elin, and his kids. All I ever hoped for as a fan is that Tiger plays golf to the superhuman way he can.

I was and will continue to be a Tiger fan. He was the first history making athlete within a few years of my age, in my favorite sport no-less. I would like to see him get all the way back to winning tournaments, but even if he doesn’t, I can still say that I watched one of the top 5 golfers in history live. It doesn’t really bother me that I can’t rank him as one of the top 5 human beings in history.

I like watching him, but a few fist pumps don't make me forget that he's a tool and behaves like an entitled brat at times.

I think we all tend to want our hero's to be something we are not, perfect. There was a time when I was happy to be alive at this time, to be able to see what could be the greatest golfer ever, because he had it all, greatness of the game, money, fame and a wonderful family.

Then we find out it was not all as it seemed. he turned out to not be the guy we, or I wanted him to be. I think to be truely great at anything, you have to be a great person first, he is not. Not saying I'm better, just saying our hero sort of pulled the wool over our eyes. So now I'm left to ponder how I feel now about Tiger. There is a big part of me that hopes he never makes another birdie in his life and there is a part of me that is still not sure about that.

Im gonna argue with you. He does care. I don't think anyone can say they don't. You're a miracle worker on the green buddy! Lol, no joke your advice worked.

I said I'd stay out but my Jay Cutler radar peaked.

Off topic but I loved that ESPN Tiger Woods article lol. It workabilitied the finer aspects of journalism.

Thanks buddy, I guess I just dont get why we argue about Tiger all the time. Yes, we know that Jake has pictures of Tiger everwhere and I respect that. Young Thainer would bathe in Luke Donalds sweat. I choose to have pictures of Jeff Overton, TC has Westooths bra, Ddec loves anything that deals with European stats, Yoccos can throw a football further than Jay Cutler, Spank IS Christina Kim, and Gray taught Boo Weekley English. But all of this makes us who we are, essentially we are all here because we love golf and THP anfd I just hate seeing friendly banter turn into arguing. Especially when its about a professional athlete. I for one will not waste my time arguing with friends about another person. I can assure you that Tiger doesnt give a damn what One-T is doing.

I think its a demographic thing then. Because everybody I know my age or older has many memories of Nike launching their "Im not a role model" campaign after Barkley had another tirade. The lovable character that is now Charles Barkley was once the guy that EVERYBODY could not stand due to both on and off the court fiascos. Nike then started a campaign with Barkley stating "Im not a role model". The message was a good one in some ways, but so ridiculous in others.

Bingo. And it's been used as an excuse for bad behavior ever since.

Kevin

Well said Mercer, nothing anyone can say should be able to make you feel differently. I agree that Tiger is our Jack and that is one of things that I most appreciate about being able to live in this era. It would be like someone getting to watch Hogan or Nicklaus in their prime.

Thanks. You are right too. Nothing anyone every says of Tiger will ever make me less of a fan. With every athlete, there is some positive and some negative. Tiger's life is something that we can all learn from. I've always kept in mind that Tiger grew up playing a white man's game and how many obstacles that must of created for him along the way. He has overcame a lot in his life to get to where he is today. I may get bashed for saying this too, but we as a society build up these athletes to god-like figures. Tiger's success came quick once he turned pro and he really had very minimal bumps afterwards. Tiger must have felt invincible. You see way to often when young men experience great success early on and creates this "untouchable" mentaility. It's not til when you finally fall from grace, that you begin to look at yourself in the mirror.

Point to Lebron James.... watch his documentary and look at what the success did to Lebron James and his high school teammates. Partying at 4 in the morning the night before the State Championship with girls in their rooms, weed, and alcohol. They thought they were invisible and lost the State Championship the next day. Now Lebron's life was much different than Tiger's by not having his father around, but kids will be kids and Tiger never stopped being a kid. His celebrity status and "perfect" life got to his head. I will not beat him up over. I will learn from it and make sure my kids, students, and athletes learn from it as well.

I think the only thing I'm going to remember about this Masters is the short eagle putt TW choked on. Had myself a good laugh.

OK, the other thing is how bad Stenson played but I think I'll remember the choke longer.

Back