Who has the worse collapse in a Major since 2005?

Who has the worse collapse in a Major since 2005?

• Reteif Goosen - 2005 US Open, led by 3 and shot 81

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Aaron Baddeley - 2007 US Open , led by 2 and shot 80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dustin Johnson - 2010 US Open, led by 3 and shot 82

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Nick Watney - 2010 PGA Championship, led by 3 and shot 81

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Rory Mcllroy - 2011 Masters, led by 4 and shot 80

Votes: 70 60.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
After watching Rory Mcllroy struggle on the back 9 yesterday it brought back memories of other final round collapses. Since the 2005 season, which collapse do you think was the worst. I'll leave the 6th spot as a write in because I'm sure there are some that I've missed. If you vote "other" lets hear who you are thinking of.

Last edited:
I couldn't believe how poorly Rory played yesterday. That said, I think DJ's meltdown was worse. Mostly because of the age/experience factor. I think DJ has like 5 years on Rory.

Rory in 2010 due to the fact that this is his 2nd time around. He led after the 1st round last year at the British and shot 80 the 2nd day. I know conditions weren't the same and it wasn't leading into the final round, but blowing up twice after leading in a major must be a huge dent in his confidence. You can only chalk up so much to experience before doubts start seeping in.

• Staff
I voted for Goosen because he had already won the 01 and 04 US Opens. To me it was the most surprising.

Maybe it's just because it was recent, b/c Rory has such high expectations placed on him, and because I love his swing, but I had to choose Rory. It was just heart breaking to watch.

Rory's collapse was the worst I have ever seen. He was leading with 9 to go, and then he totally collapsed. It was actually painful to watch.

Great thread! I'm going to vote Rory mainly because of the fact that he had the biggest lead and at Augusta scores of 80 don't just happen as often as they do at the U.S. Open or in Watney's case the PGA at a tough Whistling Straits course. Augusta is a place that people shot 64s, 65s, and on Sunday we saw scores of 66 and 67 all over the leaderboard. Rory's was the biggest in my opinion.

Maybe it's just because it was recent, b/c Rory has such high expectations placed on him, and because I love his swing, but I had to choose Rory. It was just heart breaking to watch.

It most definitely was. Rory got my vote. He had or shared the lead for 63 holes then just completely fell apart.

I agree, I dont see how it can be someone other than Rory, he blew the largest lead

I voted Rory b/c he just looked dominating and relaxed the previous 3 rounds and other than mental stress the course isn't built for punishing conditions like the US Open courses (it gives comebacks a better chance of happening). Goosen's was a close second because of the experience factor.

BTW ddec, somewhere Jean Van de Velde is thanking you for making this survey from relatively recent tourneys.

BTW ddec, somewhere Jean Van de Velde is thanking you for making this survey from relatively recent tourneys.

Van de Velde, Norman, and Arnold Palmer are glad I didn't stretch things back further.

My thoughts exactly. He'll get a green jacket one day. Seems to have such a solid head on his shoulders.. Man, I can't even imagine being in that position at 21. When I was that age I was sweating about college exams!

I had to go with Dustin. He was on a roll that whole year and even that week. Then right out the gate of the 4th round he began to collapse.

Although Goosen was a big surprise also.

Van de Velde, Norman, and Arnold Palmer are glad I didn't stretch things back further.

Because of the 2005 caveat I was hard pressed. I said Goosen. As mentioned he won the same tournament before. Though, at the US Open, I think they make the course so difficult to play its just mind blowing to me. A lot of the meltdowns seem to happen at the US open....

I had to vote Rory as I could see the air go out of this young man. It was hard to watch him suffer like that. The cool part was as he was walking to the scoring bldg he held his head up and acknowledged the fans. I know some golfers would have waved off the post round interview but he was man enough to talk. I admire him for that.

I don't want to seem like an Old guy (i'm only 30) and I know the rule was from 2005, But I still feel Greg Norman's Collaps at the Masters in 96 was the toughest to watch. Mcilroy's triple bogey on 10 was pretty tough to watch too though....
So I voted Rory.

Rory in 2010 due to the fact that this is his 2nd time around. He led after the 1st round last year at the British and shot 80 the 2nd day. I know conditions weren't the same and it wasn't leading into the final round, but blowing up twice after leading in a major must be a huge dent in his confidence. You can only chalk up so much to experience before doubts start seeping in.

+1!
I was thinking the same thing, it's gotta be Rory because it was the 2nd time around! After this breakdown, I bet the man has a little shimmer of doubt in the back of his mind. He just needs to block Sunday out of his mind, and move forward! He was the game to do it to!

Rory..this was pretty bad, it was not one bad swing that did him in, it was error after error after error...

I was pullin for Rory and the wheels just fell off. This was the most memorable collapse in my opinion, maybe because of how recent it was, but either way it was pretty bad. I don't know how he wasn't in tears. I bet he is still kicking himself.

I had to vote Rory as I could see the air go out of this young man. It was hard to watch him suffer like that. The cool part was as he was walking to the scoring bldg he held his head up and acknowledged the fans. I know some golfers would have waved off the post round interview but he was man enough to talk. I admire him for that.

Totally agree with you Gray! I already had respect for him, but this bummed him up in my book.

I will have to go with Rory's as well since he held the lead for so long. Reteif's was susprising and DJ's started from the very beginning of the round if I remember correctly. One that I was suprised that was not listed was Phil's at Winged Foot in 2006. It was just the last couple of holes but it was mindblowing to witness. Maybe because I was there on that final round is why it sticks out to me. Out of the choices given I choose Rory due to the size of the lead and the lenght of the lead (63 holes) and the score he shot.

I will have to go with Rory's as well since he held the lead for so long. Reteif's was susprising and DJ's started from the very beginning of the round if I remember correctly. One that I was suprised that was not listed was Phil's at Winged Foot in 2006. It was just the last couple of holes but it was mindblowing to witness. Maybe because I was there on that final round is why it sticks out to me. Out of the choices given I choose Rory due to the size of the lead and the lenght of the lead (63 holes) and the score he shot.

I didn't include that one because Phil was tied for the lead going in to the round and had 2 guys 1 stroke back at the start of the day. Also Montie blew up from the middle of the 72nd fairway(which I think was worse than Phil)

I feel very bad for Rory. I thought he would do it, but the pressure was too much. It would have been great to see Tiger vs Rory in a Playoff.

I put DJ because of his victories on that course. DJ seriously knows how to play that course; but had one of the worst collapses in a major.

Though I probably would have picked the Mickelson Winged Foot collapse had it been an option.

Back