Journey to Break 85

Another week in the books. Played today at a course that is pretty long for me. Quite a few par 4's over 400 yards. Windy as hell today as well, but that's becoming somewhat normal it seems. Shot an ugly 102. My scorecard was so funny looking. Par, Triple, Par, Snowman, Bogey, Triple, etc. You get the picture. I actually had 10 holes of bogey or better, but I had a lot of blowups today.

I sucked off the tee today. Badly. Just wanted to get that out of the way. I did have a few holes that I was hitting the driver well, but I seem to have picked up this high right monster that is hard to shake. I think it has a lot to do with my tempo. I'm trying this new inside-out thing and I finally realized that I needed to actually take time to complete my backswing with the driver before trying to hit the ball. After that, I was doing well, but the damage was done. Anyway, golf is really hard to play out of the woods. It just wasn't really designed to be played that way, but I gave it my best shot. I had some rotten breaks on punch outs that made it worse. A couple really nice punch shots that found the perfect path to a tree branch. Stupid trees.

All of that said, the rest of my game was pretty good today. I'm hitting my irons and hybrids awesome right now and it's all because of that Vision Track. I hit a bunch of good shots with both today. Great distance, trajectory and spin which is new to me. The only problem is that, many times, I was already on my fourth or fifth shot by the time I got to hit one of them. I felt really good about the ball striking on every club but the driver. I hit some greens and barely missed a few, so irons/hybrids = good. Yay. The 5 wood was really good for me too and I should have used it off the tee way more than I did. Also went ahead and bagged the 5 hybrid today. Very glad I did as I hit some excellent shots with it.

Short game was pretty good, but it couldn't save me today. Putting was not bad (32), but I was very close to making quite a few that I missed. I brought out the Odyssey Rossie today and I'm glad I did. That putter just works for me. Once again, it's going back in the bag.

Anyway, story of the day was blowup > decent golfer > blowup > decent golfer. Need to work on that.

Your game sounds a lot like mine with the inconsistency. I'm sure we'll pull it together one day....or maybe we should take up bowling?

Your game sounds a lot like mine with the inconsistency. I'm sure we'll pull it together one day....or maybe we should take up bowling?

I feel like I'm really close, but I just need to get one piece of the puzzle in place. I'm not expecting to hit every fairway, but I would love to be a bit more consistent off the tee. It probably doesn't help that I'm playing a driver head that really wasn't designed for my skill level. Funny thing is that the Vision Track really helped me out everywhere, but it screwed up my driver swing. Not to say it was good before, but it was better. Like I said, once I got my tempo a bit more in line I was doing much better with it, though. It's a work in progress as always.

PS, I sort of hate bowling. It's fun for the first twelve pack, but it doesn't have staying power for me.

Lol. Bowling is even more frustrating for me.

Good insight Hawk. Always seems like when one device helps one part of our swing it kills another :).

I've been fighting the hosel rockets lately. I was trying Thainers drill and I just kept hitting the other ball no matter what. I finally figured it out though I think and it helped a lot. His drill is like a cure all for me. I'm also going to limit my new training aid to non ball contact and at night. Not for the range. Ill just use Thainers drill and keep it simple.

On another note I think I'll be hitting a lot more fairways. I have a real good feel with the new driver right now and I think it's gonna lead to some great things.

Fairways are good! I think that the VT will be good for my driver swing in the long run, but I'm going to need a bit of time to adjust and work on my club face at impact.

I think it will too Hawk. Sometimes I get impatient and never let a training aid take its natural course. Lol. You're game is close!

Fairways are good! I think that the VT will be good for my driver swing in the long run, but I'm going to need a bit of time to adjust and work on my club face at impact.

I.....hate......the......wind. As my uncle told me yesterday, 'I'd rather play in a heavy drizzle that in the wind.' Also, don't you just hate it when you figure a problem out mid round, and at the end you think 'man, it's too bad I wasn't swinging my driver correctly at the start of the round.' Whenever I do that, all I want to do is replay the 'bad 9' and fix my score.

I.....hate......the......wind. As my uncle told me yesterday, 'I'd rather play in a heavy drizzle that in the wind.' Also, don't you just hate it when you figure a problem out mid round, and at the end you think 'man, it's too bad I wasn't swinging my driver correctly at the start of the round.' Whenever I do that, all I want to do is replay the 'bad 9' and fix my score.

Yea, by the time I figured it out I was toast. Stinks too, because I could have played pretty well otherwise. Oh well, such is life. I need to work on getting out of bad spots better too. I had a few times that I hit trees trying to get out of the trees. That's just stupid.

Gonna post a quickie here. Been a rough week and I was finally able to get a sense of balance yesterday somewhat. Found a great rythm with my irons to the tune best I've ever hit the Machspeeds. Also made me really think, maybe I dont want less forgiveness haha. Anyway, I'm gonna keep working on what I was yesterday which is something my instructor told me. Shorten the backswing, use the big muscles. I also figured out why I was slicing and keeping everything left. I really pulled hard with my left hand and just killed my downswing. Losing distance even when it was straigh and I found success with getting my right side more involved and found a good rythm. The rythm was important because it allowed me to clear my hips and use my core and shoulders. I'm gonna get back to the powersleeve at night and hopefully thatll help get my distance back.

The driver is working really well too. Can't wait to get that bad boy fit.

Gonna post a quickie here. Been a rough week and I was finally able to get a sense of balance yesterday somewhat. Found a great rythm with my irons to the tune best I've ever hit the Machspeeds. Also made me really think, maybe I dont want less forgiveness haha. Anyway, I'm gonna keep working on what I was yesterday which is something my instructor told me. Shorten the backswing, use the big muscles. I also figured out why I was slicing and keeping everything left. I really pulled hard with my left hand and just killed my downswing. Losing distance even when it was straigh and I found success with getting my right side more involved and found a good rythm. The rythm was important because it allowed me to clear my hips and use my core and shoulders. I'm gonna get back to the powersleeve at night and hopefully thatll help get my distance back.

good to hear on all facets my friend.

Forgiveness is definitely our friend, brother. One thing I notice when using the Vision Track is it really compacted my back swing. I don't feel like I'm moving as much, which maybe what you are talking about? I always thought I had to do this giant shoulder turn.

Thanks buddy. Still have some to go but its goin.

good to hear on all facets my friend.

Yessir!~ I'm not sure how pretty my swing looks but its effective haha. I couldnt figure out how to get the shoulders engaged and now its starting to click. Less is more haha. I know some pull their left hand but I found it was hurting me quite a bit and I was losing about 15 yards.

One of these days Im gonna check that VT out. It feels like its really working for you my friend.

Forgiveness is definitely our friend, brother. One thing I notice when using the Vision Track is it really compacted my back swing. I don't feel like I'm moving as much, which maybe what you are talking about? I always thought I had to do this giant shoulder turn.

Funny thing is that I'm moving much less, which I think helps with consistency, but my distance hasn't been affected.

Throwing the Hawk strength into it :) The less we do it seems the further the ball goes lol.

Funny thing is that I'm moving much less, which I think helps with consistency, but my distance hasn't been affected.

Glad you found the rhythm with your irons and worked out what you had being doing wrong. There is no better place than the golf course to escape to when things aren't so great in life. Can't wait to see you next month! We're gonna have a blast.

I can't wait to see yall either! This is coming up fast on us and will be so much fun :)

Glad you found the rhythm with your irons and worked out what you had being doing wrong. There is no better place than the golf course to escape to when things aren't so great in life. Can't wait to see you next month! We're gonna have a blast.

As much sarcasm is thrown out there for a simulator I have to say, I got some good feedback this past Friday. Helped my brother find his groove and I think I relax more when I play golf with others. I know it's like cheating but I'm telling you, I haven't hit my irons that well in a long time. I've got the point I can feel fat/thin shots and I rarely had those types of shots on Friday. Extremely pleased with the driver as well. I keep saying i need to get it dailed in (settings) and I will but it's working pretty well for me now. Ill be playing again this week but a lot of work will be put into putting/chipping. I'm considering some lessons again at some point soon but I need to find someone out here to work with what I have. I don't want to be limping into the Morgan Cup.

yeah I think I may cave in and go back and at least get a lesson, my problem is off the tee Im pushing EVERYTHING to the right. I know its not alignment and its not my grip, and I figure if I can fix that, its probably the same issue Im having with some iron shots as well

Lessons are definitely a great thing :) It'd be great if you could find an instructor that will help you with that. Maybe even get a vid for Andy to see whats up. He is awesome and free! :)

yeah I think I may cave in and go back and at least get a lesson, my problem is off the tee Im pushing EVERYTHING to the right. I know its not alignment and its not my grip, and I figure if I can fix that, its probably the same issue Im having with some iron shots as well

Lessons are definitely a great thing :) It'd be great if you could find an instructor that will help you with that. Maybe even get a vid for Andy to see whats up. He is awesome and free! :)

yeah, that isnt a biad idea.

Woudl be simple to do since im doing it EVERY TIME off of the tee

I had an issue with pushing shots earlier in the season as well. Lesson would fix it quickly. For me, i was pushing off my right foot like a baseball swing, rather than rotating my lower body. As a result, I was blocking off and pushing my shots. I still do that with the driver sometimes, but it's getting better.

I had an issue with pushing shots earlier in the season as well. Lesson would fix it quickly. For me, i was pushing off my right foot like a baseball swing, rather than rotating my lower body. As a result, I was blocking off and pushing my shots. I still do that with the driver sometimes, but it's getting better.

yeah that sounds like me, last year had same problem went and got lesson, found it was my grip. Thought maybe that was teh same issue this year, but I dont think thats been the case

I've been trying to think about where I'm at with the game after my trip to Florida and still haven't really come to any conclusions. I didn't play as well as I wanted for most of the weekend, which was pretty disappointing, but there were some bright spots.

Driving was going very well. It was nice to see a ball fly in warm conditions for once. JB helped me a bit with my set up to get me some more distance and it worked nicely. I was setting up with the ball way up front which meant that I was releasing before I got to the ball. Moving the ball back towards my heel definitely felt weird at first, but I'm going to keep with it.

Irons were ok. I caught a case of the fatties early on and it took a good round and a half to work out of them. Once again, JB was great at giving me some things that looked off in my set up and so did Kris Tamulis. I was too close to the ball,my feet too close together, and my ball position a bit too forward. It's odd because I thought my ball (with short irons) was in the middle of my stance, but my eyes lied to me. The first time JB had me adjust it, I holed out. Crazy how that works. Once again, set up is such a huge thing. It seems like I say that every time I post.

Wedges were disappointing. I take a lot of pride in my short game and I didn't do much with it at all. I think some of that had to do with the different conditions I was playing in, but much of it was poor execution and making bad choices. Perfect example was choosing a 58° wedge in this super fluffy rough area. I'm used to firm conditions almost all the time up here and this was the complete opposite. So, I choose a club that is totally wrong, swing it ok, and literally just slide right under the ball. Stupid.

Putting was ok. I had pretty decent putting rounds on Saturday and Sunday. Still something that I need to work on, but I stole JB's practice green strategy and it was working nicely for me.

I wonder sometimes if my expectations are realistic, considering the amount of time I've been playing and the time I can devote to practicing and playing. At the same time, I see little hints of goodness that I just need to replicate 80 times or so a round. I keep telling myself that it will come with time and practice :)

It sounds like your game is progressing nicely my friend!!!!!

I bet we would shave a bunch strokes off our game if we could get that setup thing down. Huge issue for me too!

I've been trying to think about where I'm at with the game after my trip to Florida and still haven't really come to any conclusions. I didn't play as well as I wanted for most of the weekend, which was pretty disappointing, but there were some bright spots.

Driving was going very well. It was nice to see a ball fly in warm conditions for once. JB helped me a bit with my set up to get me some more distance and it worked nicely. I was setting up with the ball way up front which meant that I was releasing before I got to the ball. Moving the ball back towards my heel definitely felt weird at first, but I'm going to keep with it.

Irons were ok. I caught a case of the fatties early on and it took a good round and a half to work out of them. Once again, JB was great at giving me some things that looked off in my set up and so did Kris Tamulis. I was too close to the ball,my feet too close together, and my ball position a bit too forward. It's odd because I thought my ball (with short irons) was in the middle of my stance, but my eyes lied to me. The first time JB had me adjust it, I holed out. Crazy how that works. Once again, set up is such a huge thing. It seems like I say that every time I post.Wedges were disappointing. I take a lot of pride in my short game and I didn't do much with it at all. I think some of that had to do with the different conditions I was playing in, but much of it was poor execution and making bad choices. Perfect example was choosing a 58° wedge in this super fluffy rough area. I'm used to firm conditions almost all the time up here and this was the complete opposite. So, I choose a club that is totally wrong, swing it ok, and literally just slide right under the ball. Stupid.

Putting was ok. I had pretty decent putting rounds on Saturday and Sunday. Still something that I need to work on, but I stole JB's practice green strategy and it was working nicely for me.

I wonder sometimes if my expectations are realistic, considering the amount of time I've been playing and the time I can devote to practicing and playing. At the same time, I see little hints of goodness that I just need to replicate 80 times or so a round. I keep telling myself that it will come with time and practice :)

Back