Best GPS App for Droid

mikedean441

6X HOF
Reaction score
Handicap
So instead of asking everyone that has a skycaddie how far out I am, I wanted to get back to using my droid like I did early in the year last year.

Question is, now there are a ton of GPS golf apps, whereas early last yer it was slim pickings, which one is the best one out there based on your experiences?

Ideally I would like a standalone unit, but too pricey for me, since I need a putter and a few other things at the moment

thanks in advance

There are a ton of threads on these. I have yet to find one that I like compared to a stand alone, but that is just me.

yeah I did a search, but came up with a bunch of different posts not erlating to the question, probably didnt filter it correctly.

Im not good enough to where a yard or 2 makes a difference, hopefully someday, but not yet.

Are their some cheaper standalone units that can be recommended to do the job?

Most of my rounds will be played at one course, but I do also play every now and then outside of it.

Cheaper is a relative term, but there are units that can be had that offer great performance and accuracy depending on budget and features needed.

Free Caddie
How Far Am I
Birdi Golf

Those are the free ones, I use Birdi Golf if I'm playing somewhere new since it's an overhead drag and touch gps.

Free Caddie
How Far Am I
Birdi Golf

Those are the free ones, I use Birdi Golf if I'm playing somewhere new since it's an overhead drag and touch gps.

yeah I think I used Free Caddie last year for awhile, if memory serves me correctly it didnt have distances to traps, water etc, do any of the free/cheap ones have that feature?

yeah I think I used Free Caddie last year for awhile, if memory serves me correctly it didnt have distances to traps, water etc, do any of the free/cheap ones have that feature?

None that I have found. However, with Birdi you simply update it to your location, touch the trap on the screen and it shows on the screen how far you are. Download it and go outside and play with it it'll make more sense that way. I've had a few people shoot objects and it's just as good as their laser plus you get the overhead view in case there is trouble you can't see. I'm shopping for a golf range finder but I will still use this app.

cool, worth a look

the consensus(sp?)will always be golfshot,I'm not sure what else is there to need.I have 2 batteries but have rarely ever needed 2 unless I showed up at the course at 80% with a 5 hour round

These threads seem to pop up once a week. Anyway, I like skydroid. if something is missing from the course you are playing, you can go in and edit it on the website.

Golf Logix is definitely the best one I've used. It's backed by Golf Channel too.

I'm doing a thread bump here but I am proud of myself for using the search function :D. Has anyone tried Free Golf GPS Range Finder? It's in the play store (here's their website: http://www.swingbyswing.com/) and says it's a full GPS range finder with distances and overhead maps of 34,000 courses. I'm playing a new course this week (which is in their database) that supposedly has a lot of blind landing spots off the tee and has reachable hazards on a bunch of holes if you hit driver. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried this and if it worked for them. It seems to be a real good app for free. Thanks.

Used this one last week for the first time and was very impressed for a free app. Using again tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Used this one last week for the first time and was very impressed for a free app. Using again tomorrow.

Thanks Ryan. I just downloaded it and will give it a try on Wednesday. Do you know if there is any benefit to signing up and creating an account?

I have not looked into it. I already use golf shot for tracking my stats and really like it. I really just wanted a quick, easy and accurate GPS. And so far I like it. Used it again today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Used Swing by Swing the other day. Seemed to work fine. On another note: I got the Garmin watch...awesome. No real worry about the battery going out during a round and having to worry about having battery left for your phone after a round. Also it's right there on your wrist, always.

I have not looked into it. I already use golf shot for tracking my stats and really like it. I really just wanted a quick, easy and accurate GPS. And so far I like it. Used it again today.

This is pretty much all I'm looking for. It's free and seemingly gives a good GPS reading. Don't see the point of registering at the moment. Look forward to giving this app a try on Wednesday.

I have an iPhone, but me and my buddy (who has a Droid) both use the free version of Swing by Swing. Works pretty well, but as Willie said, you gotta make sure you have enough battery on your phone for a round.

I've used Skydroid and wasn't really all that impressed. I also "used" mobitee. I say "used" because it never ever worked. Ever. I currently use Golfshot, and like it. I like the stats it provides too. My only gripe is that they still haven't upgraded the app to the current version that they have on the iPhone. Do it already. If I were rating, I'd give it 3 stars (1 more if they upgrade). 2 stars for Skydroid, none for mobitee.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

I've used FreeCaddie on multiple occasions, but burns through battery real quick. It sufficed but haven't compared their distances with a SkyCaddie. I'll try the swing by swing and skydroid next.

I have Golf Frontier on my droid that I use when I forget my other GPS. It just gives simple front middle back numbers.

Swing by Swing is my personal Fav. Go in and set the Power usage to Med/Low and I have had no issues with running out of battery life.

I really like Skydroid. I find the distances to be very accurate and its a simple, no nonsense app. Last week I downloaded Golflogix and found it to be too busy. I just want something to give me the distance, not track my stats, tell me what club to hit or keep score for me.

I have used both Swing to Swing and Free Caddie (both of which are free, although I think Swing by Swing has a pay for version). Swing to Swing has many more features, but I found it to be too slow (I have 4G and occaissionally, it look 3-4 minutes to determine the distance and load the map, which seemed accurate once calculated but just took too long). Free Caddie is no frills, and simply shows the distance to the back, middle, and front of the green. There is no map here, but it is crazy quick (maybe 15 seconds to get a good read). All depends on what you are looking for, but I don't know if I would pay for anything since these two apps seem to cover it.

I used the Swing to Swing app yesterday and found it to be a solid app. I played a new course yesterday that is very hilly and has a lot of shots with blind landing areas. I have a Bushnell rangefinder so I only used the app when I couldn't shoot a landing spot or pin. I would say that overall it is a solid app. Since I only used it periodically it didn't drain my battery. I was able to get distances pretty quickly. For a free app it has a good amount of features and I was pretty impressed. I would use it again when playing courses I'm unfamiliar with. However, I still prefer my rangefinder on any a shot I can use it.

Back