SW gets his GolfTec on

SW

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Well I've been working with a few different guys at a local place here in Naples and all was progressing well until late November when the wheels fell the eff off. I've been bumbling around trying to get my golf swing going back in the right direction since and I've done nothing but cause greater harm. After working with Jay this past weekend at the Kingdom and seeing how much he helped me in just a short period of time I knew I really needed to find someone to help me.

Enter today. I was out for a nice ride this afternoon and found myself on the putting green at Golfsmith working with the new CS Ghost and I think "hey dummy those GolfTec guys from THP have a place here, let's go talk to them." Wouldn't ya know the instructor is a guy I play with in my summer scrambles! I've seen Nic play enough to know he understands the golf swing very well so we chatted a bit, and I decided that if GolfTec can meet the THP Seal of Approval then it should be some quality stuff.

So to make a short story long starting next Wednesday at 2PM my crusade for better golf begins. I'm going to use this thread as my "diary" but since diary ain't very manly I'm gonna refer to it as my notebook...back off Nicolas Sparks, this one's mine! Feel free to jump in or just sit back and watch the transformation :popcorn:

Dude. Golftec has changed my outlook on the golf swing- and the wonderful thing is that not ONLY did they do a 180 on my swing, they have taught me a TON about the swing and I am starting to be able to analyse my own swing. The ability to look at my own swing and see its faults will help me long after I have stopped paying golftec for my lessons.

I have taken 12 lessons at my local golftec. After each lesson - i go home - download all the audio and video - and write down all my swingthoughts/notes from the lesson. that way i can reference it in the future. When the same thing pops up if i dont have it compeltely ingrained in my head - i can go back and read my notes from before.

I love the video - actually being able to see your swing IMO is huge.

I wonder how they train the golftec employees. Do they all go through the same "class" where they are taught to "teach" the same swing. I mean - everyone is different, everyone's swings are different. Curious how they seperate that.

Good luck SWFLA! look forward to seeing ya hit the ball in may.

Great news SW, you definitely have game already so this should really take you to the next level. Looking forward to your "manly" notebook as we track your progress. Looking forward to seeing you again soon and seeing the changes.

Great news and it will be fun to view your updates ! I think you will be very pleased to say the least and looking forward to seeing you in April.

Well I've been working with a few different guys at a local place here in Naples and all was progressing well until late November when the wheels fell the eff off. I've been bumbling around trying to get my golf swing going back in the right direction since and I've done nothing but cause greater harm. After working with Jay this past weekend at the Kingdom and seeing how much he helped me in just a short period of time I knew I really needed to find someone to help me.

Enter today. I was out for a nice ride this afternoon and found myself on the putting green at Golfsmith working with the new CS Ghost and I think "hey dummy those GolfTec guys from THP have a place here, let's go talk to them." Wouldn't ya know the instructor is a guy I play with in my summer scrambles! I've seen Nic play enough to know he understands the golf swing very well so we chatted a bit, and I decided that if GolfTec can meet the THP Seal of Approval then it should be some quality stuff.

So to make a short story long starting next Wednesday at 2PM my crusade for better golf begins. I'm going to use this thread as my "diary" but since diary ain't very manly I'm gonna refer to it as my notebook...back off Nicolas Sparks, this one's mine! Feel free to jump in or just sit back and watch the transformation :popcorn:
I know John at that one and he is a good guy. Hope it works out well for you bud.

Welcome to the club! I've learned all sorts of things about my swing in my lessons. I even have shaft lag now and get my hands ahead of the club at impact - whoda thunk it? :)

Had my swing evaluation today, more good stuff than bad. It was a moral victory for me. Went in with 9 segments in the red and walked away with 4, not a bad adjustment in an hour. After seeing the whole program I went with the 6 month 15 lesson package and with the option to add on if things progress well I think its a steal.

Today we worked on my widening my feet spacing at address, not taking such a big hip turn, and taking the club back straighter. I didn't realize I was that flat coming back, makes sense now why I was always OTT as it was really the only way to get back to the ball. I've got a lot of work to do in the next 6 months but I already feel confident that I've found the right system to help me improve. Of course I proceeded to go out and pull every dang shot on my way to shooting a 102 today

:banghead:

Although the wind was purely brutal so I'm blaming it ;)

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

This sounds awesome, SW! Thanks for sharing this stuff from your lessons. I love following along.

Keep working at it man! I love the journal!

Had my swing evaluation today, more good stuff than bad. It was a moral victory for me. Went in with 9 segments in the red and walked away with 4, not a bad adjustment in an hour. After seeing the whole program I went with the 6 month 15 lesson package and with the option to add on if things progress well I think its a steal.

Today we worked on my widening my feet spacing at address, not taking such a big hip turn, and taking the club back straighter. I didn't realize I was that flat coming back, makes sense now why I was always OTT as it was really the only way to get back to the ball. I've got a lot of work to do in the next 6 months but I already feel confident that I've found the right system to help me improve. Of course I proceeded to go out and pull every dang shot on my way to shooting a 102 today

Love hearing about lessons. Looking forward to playing a round of golf with you next month. Maybe we will both be playing a lot better by then. Either way, we will have fun!

Thanks for the kinds words all. I've got some drills to work on for the next two weeks so hopefully those get me on a better plane and coming more inside out. I'm not gonna lie it feels really weird bringing the club head straight back instead of around my body on the take away. Caught myself taking more practice swings in slow motion on the course today paying attention to where the clubhead is. Baby steps on the road to success. Set a goal of a 10hdcp by year end, much work to be done.

KB I'm looking forward to playing with yall in a few weeks too!

Thanks for the kinds words all. I've got some drills to work on for the next two weeks so hopefully those get me on a better plane and coming more inside out. I'm not gonna lie it feels really weird bringing the club head straight back instead of around my body on the take away. Caught myself taking more practice swings in slow motion on the course today paying attention to where the clubhead is. Baby steps on the road to success. Set a goal of a 10hdcp by year end, much work to be done.

KB I'm looking forward to playing with yall in a few weeks too!

I got my Vision Track out the other day and figured out I was also coming inside too much. I was overdoing the turn. I've been striking the irons much better. Nice goal you have set for yourself. I just want to get back down to a 13 for now. I didn't stay there long enough.

I love Golftec. Good luck will be reading your progress

Good stuff SW FLA. Keep at it. I stopped by the range for a few minutes on my way back from Sarasota and it was brutal. Can't wait until it calms down.

A journey, not a destination. Heck, my swing looks much better on camera now after 6 lessons or so, but I still shot a 98 in near perfect conditions on Monday. You fix one thing and something else goes out of whack!

Good report SW, sounds like you are making progress already with 4 reds instead of 9. Looking forward to seeing the new swing. With that R-11, you will be getting them out there 280 in no time.

Is there another golftec thread or is this an appropriate place for a few questions?

There is some golftec guys on here you may try PM'ing them if you want. Otherwise I don't care if you ask questions dude, I'm sure someone will answer you or at least point you in the right direction.

Is there another golftec thread or is this an appropriate place for a few questions?

Just kind of started looking at golftec. Never had a lesson anywhere. Looks intriguing to me and there is a location close to my work. I just had back surgery in December but got the go ahead to golf. I don't know if my swing will be any different than before surgery .(not that that would be a horrible thing) Maybe a good time to look at this further. SW what made you chose golftec over other venues?

thats wonderful SW...you have not been playing golf long and to someone who doesnt know that they would think you have been golfing for years. You are a good golfer and about to get better.

Just kind of started looking at golftec. Never had a lesson anywhere. Looks intriguing to me and there is a location close to my work. I just had back surgery in December but got the go ahead to golf. I don't know if my swing will be any different than before surgery .(not that that would be a horrible thing) Maybe a good time to look at this further. SW what made you chose golftec over other venues?

Good question. I had been working with a few guys at another facility here in town and that was met with some success but then both the guys I was working with left to take green grass teaching jobs so that kinda left me in flux. I worked with a few other people around the area both indoors and out but never really had any "ah ha" moments and honestly felt like I was getting worse, the scorecards don't lie. So I tried self-diagnosing for awhile and only lead to even uglier golf and some actual aggravation on the course, that was the tipping point for me.

It was THP that brought GolfTec to me, their relationship with Andy in the "ask the pro" section speaks for itself, here's a guy who gives excellent advice and looks at your swing video's free of charge and never ask a thing in return, that's the kind of people I want to support and surround myself with. I knew I needed some help and just happened to be in Golfsmith looking at some new equipment and thought I would talk to the folks at GolfTec. There are a few other members here who also have used or are using GolfTec so that was also reassuring knowing I could reach out to them if I had questions about my experience or theirs.

I am not going to lie, it's a little on the more expensive side at first, but when you think about it it breaks down to around $50 a lesson. Not bad when I've paid a lot more than that for lessons and left even more confused than when I began. What I like about the GolfTec process is it's one step at time and at my pace. I'm not going to be working on four different changes at one time, which just isn't going to work. I hope I answered your questions and look on the homepage their is a video about GolfTec's system that I think will help you in your decision as well.

Good stuff SW...can't wait to see the transformation in May!

As another GolfTECer I'll add my $0.02 for you.

I have had standard outdoor on-the-range lessons in the past and they have helped or not. Some did, some didn't. I first heard about GolfTEC on THP and after hearing so many good things about them I scheduled an iron fitting just after Christmas as my big present to myself - new, properly fitted irons. So I had a great time doing my fitting session, but towards the end my now coach, Joe, turned on the full system, showed me my swing, had me make one or two minor changes and everything was immediately better looking. He told me I didn't really need new irons, they were actually a pretty good fit. So I decided lessons would be the better investment and signed up for the 15 lesson/6 month plan. Was about the same price as new irons but better in the long run. Then, a month later, low and behold the price on my best fitting new iron - TM R9 TP - dropped and I had enough credit in my account to get the new irons anyway and still have some lessons left over. Win-win! Joe has been great to work with, no pressure sales, just a friendly guy who loves golf and helping people play better. My swing looks much, much better on the screens. I don't always take it to the course yet, though. That's the next step. But the equipment they have, the technology, the comparisons, the tracking... it's all great to work with. I like not being outside where you worry about ball flight instead of proper swing. Get the foundation first and you can fix ball flight and contact (that's their philosophy). When I do get things right on the course I get the same distance with less effort, better balance, better consistency, etc. I'd definitely encourage anyone curious to try it out and see what you think. All teaching is subjective and personal. Some people will hate being indoors and hitting into a net. Others could care less about computers. Others will prefer it.

Back