Thoughts while sitting on the side of the teebox.

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
I mean to offend nobody here but I'm sitting at the teebox on a par 3 with one group hitting and two waiting in front of me. I'm starting to get extremely aggravated as I'm getting pretty serious about my game the more I play. However, it seems as if the majority of the older men that are out here on the course are blatant slow players. Now I'm sure not all of them are, but the last three times I have played my pace of play (due to people in front of me) has been 6:10, 5:40, 5:55. It's really messing me up and I'm getting so mad that I can't play for $&@?! I'm not trying to target old men but I've never been stuck behind middle aged or younger players, sooo... I dunno. The marshalls won't do anything about these gentlemen and who am I to tell them to move on. Is there anything that you guys do to keep your rhythm and stay calm while having to hang behind these "laggers"?

P.S. Only one group has made it through since I started ttyping this on my iPhone and they were a twosome. Ahhhhhhhh!!!

I assure you slow play has little to do with age.

they must be walking. hehe

I know, but it just seems to be the ongoing trend.

I'm with JB. I've been chased around the course by older guys (retired) who were literally chomping at my heels and called the marshal on my group. And this was on a day when we played a 4:10 minute round. Those guys must have had an early bird special to get to somewhere! :D

I think I get what he's trying to say here. Not only do they not let you play through but it seems like they play even slower as their own little way of jerking people around 'just because they can'.

We have a mix of both at my club. There are a majority of older men too, so we see both kinds! Some of these older guys can really burn a trail round the course and shoot some decent numbers. Others can take forever over the ball and stink the joint up!

I hate slow play. Everybody that plays with me knows that. But to the OP, I would say, I would guarantee that you would be slow for my pace and what would you do? Im all for people letting others play through, but it appears as though you have a backed up course with groups waiting everywhere. If there is no place to play through, where should people go?

When theres multiple groups waiting theres not much you can do about it. I agree that is annoying and frustrating though. Stupid walkers. lol

I played yesterday with one of the rocket men (We call em out our course) They get off work at around 4 p.m. and finish 18 holes before dark and that's prior to day light savings time. I am 60 years old and kept up with him and even had him huffing and puffing towards the end :D. The problem with that is I'm not old yet, at least in my mind.

edit: Just ask the old farts if you can go through. Most of us are senile and are not aware the young guns are in a hurry. If you don't ask, they will keep dragging along. Good luck bro.

Ken, I do agree about not letting you play through pretty often. Once again I do say it's not everybody. But I am sitting here watching these guys look at ne and then turn around and play another ball off the fairway cause they didn't like the first one.

Agreed here. I have buddies in the late 20s that are WAY SLOW. 4-5 full practice swings per shot, losing a ball on almost every tee box. Taking 10 mins to look for said lost balls. I play through with them to the point where I'm on the green and waiting for them. I stop riding in the cart and walk and finish before they're on the green. I ask them typically on the 3rd lost ball about not looking for anymore.

The "executive" courses 'round here have so many par 3s they play like full championship courses with the wait on all the par 3 boxes. SUCKS!

I guess if you can avoid that course that's probably the only or best resolution but if thats not possible, well it sounds like you've done everything you can.

Ken, I do agree about not letting you play through pretty often. Once again I do say it's not everybody. But I am sitting here watching these guys look at me and then turn around and play another ball off the fairway cause they didn't like the first one.

Now that would cook my goose. We have old dudes at our golf course and 90 percent of them have the decency to let us play through. We have them trained and they know better. It's the non members coming from another county where we have to shoot a rocket up their arse, to get their attention.

I agree. I play with several guys over sixty that most could not keep up with them and they walk every round. I play most of my golf late in the day for the most part. Avoid peak hours if possible is about all you can do. I hate slow play, and I always say it is the cancer of golf, but to a point, I refuse to let it have any effect on me while I'm playing. You just have to change your mind set a bit, and avoid the course at busy times.

Now that would cook my goose. We have old dudes at our golf course and 90 percent of them have the decency to let us play through. We have them trained and they know better. It's the non members coming from another county where we have to shoot a rocket up their arse, to get their attention.

ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!! Playing a second when people are waiting makes my blood boil. As to the bolded part I agree again. 30 years ago my grandparents taught me to play golf, and etiquette was taught right up front. They were always letting people play thru (probably because of the 8 year old learning to play :D).

I would honestly start going to another golf course. I mean, not one of your rounds has been under 5 hours.

One thing I guess I don't think about is that this is a vacation destination that I live in. A lot of tourists are probably gonna want to try and leisurely enjoy their round instead of getting in 18 before going to work during the night shift like I have to. And there are a lot more older tourists here. So maybe that's just two and two ya know.

One thing I guess I don't think about is that this is a vacation destination that I live in. A lot of tourists are probably gonna want to try and leisurely enjoy their round instead of getting in 18 before going to work during the night shift like I have to. And there are a lot more older tourists here. So maybe that's just two and two ya know.

That's how I would see it, if I was on vaca I would wana take it all in and rnjoy the round, but that's just me!

I feel the same way, Most of my golfing is done on sunday afternoons (twilight) or weeknights when possible. I feel waiting awhile forces me to overthink things, and if i'm not playing well, it seems to make it worse. Also, I typically try to play with just one or 2 other people most.

I feel your pain man, but keep it in perspective, you are golfing on a wednesday afternoon, and you live in Hawaii!!!!! When I play a 5 or 6 hour round its in much colder weather and its a lot less fun. Its still sucks though man.

I mean to offend nobody here but I'm sitting at the teebox on a par 3 with one group hitting and two waiting in front of me. I'm starting to get extremely aggravated as I'm getting pretty serious about my game the more I play. However, it seems as if the majority of the older men that are out here on the course are blatant slow players. Now I'm sure not all of them are, but the last three times I have played my pace of play (due to people in front of me) has been 6:10, 5:40, 5:55. It's really messing me up and I'm getting so mad that I can't play for $&@?! I'm not trying to target old men but I've never been stuck behind middle aged or younger players, sooo... I dunno. The marshalls won't do anything about these gentlemen and who am I to tell them to move on. Is there anything that you guys do to keep your rhythm and stay calm while having to hang behind these "laggers"?

P.S. Only one group has made it through since I started ttyping this on my iPhone and they were a twosome. Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Just curious is it a public or private course?

If public, then it seems that is the norma anymore. The 5.5-6 hour rounds were not only starting to piss me off cause you cant get any momentum, but also my wife didnt appreciate 8 holes turning into a all day fiasco.

So when a local golf club offered 50% off of a membership, it was a hard sell. 4 hours at most.

Im not even going to touch the topic of slow play. You cant really lay it all on one age group.
Anywho, as far as what I do while Im waiting, I take practice swings to stay loose, I pace back and forth a bit, I may even pull out my phone and check my email or see whats new on Facebook.
Not much you can do about it if the course is backed up, so theres no use getting all upset about it. Thats why I prefer to play in the early morning or early afternoon during the week when the course is fairly empty.

Sounds to me like that golf course is overbooked. Most of the old farts at my course play faster than me. Some of them barely stop their carts.

Kevin

Sounds to me like that golf course is overbooked. Most of the old farts at my course play faster than me. Some of them barely stop their carts.

Kevin

Same here. We have a few slow "Old Farts", but most are in a hurry to get done and very considerate of those behind them. It cracks me up when I hear the youngsters always blame the old farts. I'd bet money the slow pokes were early 50's or below, lol.

Back