Anyone changed insert on a white hot xg putter?

Ake84

Keeping my balls warm!
Reaction score
Handicap
I really don`t like the über soft feel of the odyssey insert, but I really like the the shape and alignment aids on it. So I have started to think about making an insert in metal, but I am not sure which metal to choose. Steel, copper or aluminium are the once I have been thinking of, the two later will be easier to make, but not sure on the performance on the different metals. Aluminium will ad the least weight, but copper will give the softest feel? All tips and ideas will be appreciated!

(not English in case of bad grammar :angel: )

I changed mine to a piece of pine. That would probably be too soft for you also. I would try each metal and see what one you like best.

I really don`t like the über soft feel of the odyssey insert, but I really like the the shape and alignment aids on it. So I have started to think about making an insert in metal, but I am not sure which metal to choose. Steel, copper or aluminium are the once I have been thinking of, the two later will be easier to make, but not sure on the performance on the different metals. Aluminium will ad the least weight, but copper will give the softest feel? All tips and ideas will be appreciated!

(not English in case of bad grammar :angel: )

I"m very curious with what you come up with. Bought the Odyssey #9 white hot because I fell in love with the shape as soon as I saw it. But the super soft insert and the overall lightness of the club turned me off it. But with a metal insert, that in my mind could fix both problems. Keep us in the loop man!

I shall try to get a hold of some metals soon, and will keep you guys updated on the progress. I think I will try the copper or the aluminium first, since they are easier to work with, maybe I will try to find someone with a cnc machine.

If you go to puttertalk.com, there is a member on there named Deerslayer. i read a post of his on that website with pictures where he shows off a bunch of Odyssey #9's where he pulled the white hot or black series insert and put in Copper, Stainless Steel and Aluminum inserts he had made at a local machine shop. they look awesome and he was selling them or having people send their putters to him (he is in the US) for him to change out the inserts. i tried emailing him a few days ago about it, but never got a reply. maybe others will have more luck though.

If you go to puttertalk.com, there is a member on there named Deerslayer. i read a post of his on that website with pictures where he shows off a bunch of Odyssey #9's where he pulled the white hot or black series insert and put in Copper, Stainless Steel and Aluminum inserts he had made at a local machine shop. they look awesome and he was selling them or having people send their putters to him (he is in the US) for him to change out the inserts. i tried emailing him a few days ago about it, but never got a reply. maybe others will have more luck though.

Deerslayer is VERY good at what he does. Very.

Thanks for the tips, I will check it out. I have not had the time to do anything with this project yet, and have already bought another putter again, but I talk to a friend yesterday who has the tools I need. So I will try to get some progress soon.

Some progress but not a lot. I have pulled out the old insert, no problem at all. I am now thinking of using something called chemical metal (directly translated from Norwegian), it is a kind of two component metal. And then engrave it with the pattern I want. If it works out to give a satisfactory result, I will try to upload some pictures.

Here are a couple of pictures after the first casting process, there will be some sanding and grinding before i mount it back into the putter.
putterinsert002.jpg

putterinsert003.jpg

Ake, whats the second picture of? Is that the new insert or a mold for the new insert?

It is the insert before I do the finishing touches.

damn, i'm impressed. Hope the result will be pleasing for you!

Thanks, it is a lot of fun to try something new, and custom is always best! ;)

Back