Did Tiger Proofing Augusta Help or Hurt?

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Interesting read from Bob Harig today at espn.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/masters11/columns/story?columnist=harig_bob&page=110329-RTTMasters

A decade ago, the idea that you could make changes to a golf course specifically to thwart one player -- dubbed "Tiger-proofing" -- seemed silly, if not downright laughable.

Toughening a golf course, especially by lengthening it, would only benefit Tiger Woods, the theory went. You make it harder for him, you make it harder for everyone else.

And who was going to be better equipped to handle that?

Nine Masters have passed since the first significant changes were made to Augusta National, and although Woods has won two green jackets since then he's on a streak of five in a row without winning the year's first major championship.

It is the longest such streak of his Masters career, and though Woods has had difficulty winning anywhere in the past year Augusta is the place he was expected to own in perpetuity.

But as Woods returns next week for his 17th Masters, it is clear the course has inflicted some pain on him, too.

Since defeating Chris DiMarco to win a sudden-death playoff in 2005, Woods has never been out of the top six, twice finishing runner-up. But the days of overpowering the golf course, dominating the par-5s, are gone. "It took away -- at the time when I was still one of the longest players out here -- it took away the par-5s," Woods said of how Augusta National has changed for him. "I used to hit driver and iron to every par-5. That's what Freddie [Couples] used to do. That's what I used to do. And back when Jack [Nicklaus] played in his day, that's what he used to do.

"That's not the case anymore. Good drives, you don't always have irons [for second shots]. I have not hit an iron yet -- maybe a couple of times when it was downwind. On No. 2., I used to hit driver, 8-iron there."

There was understandable alarm when Woods tore through Augusta National on his way to a 12-stroke victory in 1997. He routinely hit wedges to the par-5 13th for his second shot; he needed just a 9-iron to reach the par-5 second green during the third round.

"Obviously, the Masters committee has to be a little concerned," said 1997 runner-up Tom Kite at the time. "They've got a golf course that's pretty darn tough, and they've got somebody just ripping it up."

One of the most hallowed layouts in the game's history was deemed to be too easy, even though nobody else was finding it so kind. Kite, for example, finished 6 under par in 1997; Woods set a tournament scoring record at 18 under that still stands.

"It'll be interesting to see what they do to their golf course," Nick Price, who in 1986 had set the course record of 63 (later matched by Greg Norman), said in '97. "They have to do something. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the next committee meeting."

It is interesting to reflect on those comments today, as many observers feel Augusta National went too far. It was after Woods won his second green jacket in 2001 -- completing the "Tiger Slam" -- that the major changes began.

Under the direction of designer Tom Fazio, the club added yardage to half the holes prior to the 2002 event. In subsequent years, trees were added alongside the fairways at the 11th and 15th holes, as well as other holes. Tees were moved back. Rough grown higher. Fairways narrowed.

More yardage was added before the 2006 tournament, and today the course measures 7,435 yards -- or some 500 yards longer than 10 years ago.

"Tiger-proofing was not the correct term to use," said Jim Furyk, who has made 12 cuts in 14 Masters appearances, twice finishing fourth. "When I first started playing that place ... it was just a fun golf course to play. You had short irons in your hand and these crazy greens going everywhere. "You would go at a pin and knew the consequences if you missed. "Quite honestly, it's not a fun golf course to play right now. It's hard. It's very demanding, both physically and mentally. It has a feel of more of a U.S. Open type of struggle, rather than going out there, blaze of glory, shooting at pins and making a birdie or bogey. "I think guys are playing a lot more conservatively because there's no choice. That's the biggest difference to me. I still look forward to the Masters. I still get very excited about it. But it's a much different frame of mind than I used to have."

Starting in 2002, the winners of the Masters have been Woods, Mike Weir, Phil Mickelson, Woods, Mickelson, Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman, Angel Cabrera and Mickelson.

So six of the green jackets have been won by those considered power players -- Woods, Mickelson and Cabrera. Weir and Johnson are clearly shorter hitters who managed to win despite their relative struggles off the tee. Immelman is not considered a long hitter, but he had a big driving week in 2008.

"They call it 'Tiger-proofing,' but they're just making it longer, making it tougher for everybody," said Bubba Watson, one of the game's longest drivers, who will make his third Masters appearance next week. "I think they're going the wrong way. I think they should grow the rough up and make the fairways narrower, not length.

"We're the only sport changing our fields. Basketball, football, baseball -- they're not changing their fields. Tennis. Hockey is not changing their rink. Make it tougher. Firmer greens, smaller fairways, higher rough. That's all you need to do.

"Why change history? Let history play out. When people jump higher, like LeBron James, they don't say, 'We need to LeBron James the basketball court.' They leave it the same. Fans want to see dunks, 3-pointers. They don't want to see us make bogeys all the time."

There has been considerable consternation over the "Tiger-proofing" in recent years, including complaints that the Masters lost some of its excitement.

That was certainly the case in 2007 and 2008, when cold weather was a factor. Immelman won with a final-round 75 in 2008.

The last two years have seen more excitement, with plenty of birdies on the weekend. Cabrera's victory came in a playoff, and Mickelson's weekend barrage of eagles and birdies last year made for a compelling tournament. That could be because of an emphasis on more accessible pins, for example.

If anything, the changes still favor the longer player ... with a caveat.

"Tiger Woods in 2001, when he was a machine tee to green ... making the course longer and narrow definitely played into his hands," Stewart Cink said. "Since then, especially the last three or four years, he's driven it more crooked. And then the course is harder."

Since winning the last of his four green jackets in 2005, Woods has been part of the Sunday conversation at the Masters every year, with his best chances coming in 2007 and 2008. Both years he tied for second.

Although he has cited putting for holding him back in several of those Masters, Woods has acknowledged that yes, "Tiger-proofing" has affected even him.

"As you saw in '97, I hit driver, wedge twice into 15," Woods said of the par-5 hole. "That year I hit wedge, wedge, 8-iron, 4-iron. That's a big change. Now you're hitting a wood or some kind of hybrid or long iron, maybe, into 15. "And 13 [the other par-5 on the back], with the tee moved back and to the left, it's a little bit hard to get around the corner. I was hitting 3-wood and an 8-iron to that hole. I could hit 9-iron or wedge, which I have.

"So it's changed quite a bit."

Interesting spacing.

Skimmer!!! lol fixed it

When they tried to "Tiger Proof" Augusta, they did just the opposite. Lengthening a course helps a player who hits it further. As they made those changes, it began to make the course more difficult for the shorter hitters and if you look back at the last 10 years, only a couple "short hitters" have been able to compete there.

If they want to tiger proof it, they should have planted more Magnolias closer together down Magnolia Lane.

interesting read.

Bubba and a few others had suggestions other than just adding length to the holes. If you built the rough up more and made it more tighter it would put a better emphasis on accuracy rather than length.

Edit: If you really want to tiger proof it put a Waffle House between the 9th and 10th hole.

Very interesting read, thanks Hanks.

There has been considerable consternation over the "Tiger-proofing" in recent years, including complaints that the Masters lost some of its excitement.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this comment, after all, it is The Masters, but after seeing how the field struggled at Bay Hill this year, I can see the argument. Hard courses make players who are playing good golf stand out. Look at Marino's birdie on 18. It's exciting to watch a player rise to the ocasion, much like Phil did last year from the pine straw. The Masters will always be an event to watch because it is The Masters. "Tiger-proofed" or not. "Tiger-proofing" has made other players focus on their game so they can rise up and win. Nothing really wrong with that in my opinion.

I suppose you meant "Perkins".

Augusta has really changed, I remember sitting at 12 and being able to see the approach shots to 11, I don't see them anymore, I only see the ball come in on 11. I think the Masters is mostly a long ball hitters tournament now with the occasional break through shorter hitter winning. The tournament committee has put a premium on the long ball for sure.

There was an interesting debate in a magazine I read recently, with one side saying the changes to Augusta make the tournament more interesting, and the other side arguing that they've made it too 'harsh' and lost a lot of the beauty of the track.

interesting read.

Bubba and a few others had suggestions other than just adding length to the holes. If you built the rough up more and made it more tighter it would put a better emphasis on accuracy rather than length.

Edit: If you really want to tiger proof it put a Waffle House between the 9th and 10th hole.

I would have rather seen them narrow things and grow the rough to put the emphasis on accuracy. As it is now I think there are many players in the field each year that really have no chance to win with its length now.

I think it was the year before last or three years ago when people really started to complain that we don't see the big moves on Saturday and Sunday anymore because The Masters is no longer a place where you can string together a big round like that. Remember the complaints about the lack of Sunday roars?

I sure don't think it is better than it was. That leaves two options. It stayed the same or is worse from the spectators perspective. I guess I would vote for it being not quite what it was. I love The Masters but I don't think it generates the kind of Sunday excitement it once did.

I guess what might have made it really difficult for the organizers was that Tiger was already hitting a number of his approach shots from off the fairways and he was still chewing the place up at one point in his career. I do tend to agree that it would seem that making the rough much more difficult to get out of might have finally been the thing that would have slowed Tiger down in his hay day.

It's longer, sure, but they can set it up any way they want. They should play it shorter a day or two depending on weather forecasts. While it may have lost some excitement due to the added length, watching them hit wedges into par fives is kind of stupid, too. Let these guys win other events at 20 under par. Augusta needs to be harder than that.

Kevin

It's longer, sure, but they can set it up any way they want. They should play it shorter a day or two depending on weather forecasts. While it may have lost some excitement due to the added length, watching them hit wedges into par fives is kind of stupid, too. Let these guys win other events at 20 under par. Augusta needs to be harder than that.

Kevin

I agree on all accounts!

Pretty cool flyover of the entire course via Tiger Woods 2012. Watch this and tell me its not a bombers paradise. That's why players like Bubba and DJ should thrive next weekend.

I like rhe fact of closing it in! There are a lot of long hitters these days that always end up in the rough, but theey don't mind because they only have a wedge left

"They call it 'Tiger-proofing,' but they're just making it longer, making it tougher for everybody," said Bubba Watson, one of the game's longest drivers, who will make his third Masters appearance next week. "I think they're going the wrong way. I think they should grow the rough up and make the fairways narrower, not length.

I've been saying this for a long time.

I'm going to go the opposite direction of most people in this thread in terms of course setup, mainly because for years, Augusta had no rough at all! It allowed for players to play more shots from different angles, mainly because the greens were always the primary defense for that course. They've taken options for play away on #1, #7, #11, #15, and #17. It's made the course a tougher driving course, but it's taken away from the excitement of the course. More rough and tighter fairways make for tougher golf, but if I wanted to watch the US Open, I'd watch the US Open. It's the Masters, there should be birdies made. Take the rough away, make the fairways play faster so that if you're really offline, you're not in light rough, you're in the trees and the pine straw. Finally, it's not a coincidence that some of the most exciting rounds in recent years have been when some of the tees have been moved up or most of the pins are in the most accessible spots on the greens. The people that run the Masters can make that course as easy or as hard as they want to all with the setup.

Kevin

Agreed!

I think the ROARS of amen corner have left in the last couple of tourneys , would be nice to have them back!!!!

Back