Follow along and help me out as I make a putter "mine"

Good job. Its looking great.

Wow thats looking great Gopher!

wow, what a great looking face on that thing. well done; cant wait to see the rest of it come together

Okay, I now have a problem... I used the bench grinder and polished the face yesterday and now it is closer to chrome than steal. My original plan was to paint the clubhead a very dark almost black green or just plain black. I have been going back and forth whether or not to paint the face or leave it unpainted like my SeeMore. Thoughts?

After polishing:
2011-03-27%2015.42.18.jpg

While I was out there, I decided it woudl be a good time to grind out just a little bit of the trailing edge off since I caught it once or twice on my follow through since it's a pretty long club. You can't notice this from address:
2011-03-27%2015.50.28.jpg

I forgot to mention, you can also see the first round of JB weld to the bottom of the club in the bottom picture. I over-filled the stampings that were there, let it set and it files away just like a medium to soft steel. There are just one or two very small spots where I will need to go back and refill to get the bottom perfectly smooth. I figure that the JB Weld will replace any weight that I might have shaved off the face, back, etc.

Nice work, keep it up! Looking forward to the finished product!

Besides picking the color of the putter and if I should paint the face, here's a shot of the top side. I want to keep the alignment stripe a flat white. I painted the "alignment dot" red the other day to see what that would look like. I kind of like it so I will probably have that on the final product.

Updated topside pic:
2011-03-25%2017.30.22.jpg

Great job so far GN, looking forward to your following posts. Have fun.

WoW!!! So far so good! I like that you keep adding pictures along the way. Like someone they would do when restoring an old car. I think it's gonna look sweet with dark green and the white alignment stripe...

WoW!!! So far so good! I like that you keep adding pictures along the way. Like someone they would do when restoring an old car. I think it's gonna look sweet with dark green and the white alignment stripe...

Funny you say that. I have a 79 Corvette with plenty of "before and after" pictures so I have practice at this. Just as much time and effort go into the details in that too. Sometimes it's good to be a perfectionist.

Coming along nicely. Very nice work. I think I'd leave the face natural.
:thumb:

I would leave that face highly polished. Make the rest dark. If you hate it you can always paint the face later.

Paint it orange. :D I like orange.

Damn GN, great job. This custom putter work has me-a-thinkin'. I also love the small red dot for alignment.

Besides picking the color of the putter and if I should paint the face, here's a shot of the top side. I want to keep the alignment stripe a flat white. I painted the "alignment dot" red the other day to see what that would look like. I kind of like it so I will probably have that on the final product.

Updated topside pic:
2011-03-25%2017.30.22.jpg

Cool project. Just curious - about how much time have you put into this refinish so far?

Cool project. Just curious - about how much time have you put into this refinish so far?

I'd guess around 8 hours tops? It's been more of a 15 minutes here, 30 minutes there, putt with it for 15 minutes, file out another ding or two, putt for 15 minutes...

I'm hoping to prep it for painting tomorrow (tape the face & shaft) and hit it with some primer if my garage can get warm enough. That's another downside of living in MN... Spray painting season is shorter than our golfing season unless you have an unfinished basement and don't mind a little overspray. I don't think that it has been over 50 in my garage since October. We won't even talk about outdoor weather - however on a side note, I'm taking the day off tomorrow adn packing up my clubs to hopefully be the first one to play a round of golf on my home course. That's another benefit of being part owner I guess! :banana: (did I just hijack my own thread?)

This is fun to follow for me. I used to love refurbishing old furniture and making it pretty before I got so addicted to golf. We have a bunch of old putters sitting in the closet in our pro shop. There are a couple Zebra putters that I would love to see redone. So glad you decided to share your work with us. I love this kind of stuff.

That's so cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product, and then hearing about how well it putts for you.

This is a fun thread to follow. Thanks again for sharing all the pics as the project progresses.

Okay, que the "leave it ghosted" comments now.

Primed and ready for paint:
2011-03-31%2019.34.04.jpg

I'm kind of bummed, I was expecting SOMEONE to suggest I leave it white! No love for the "ghosts"? I'm working on another Bettinardi putter that I am painting white to see how I like it.

As for this one, here is some of the final reveal!
As you can see, I went with a military dark green, ultra flat finish to reduce glare and make it a true one-of-a-kind.

Peeling off the tape to reveal the white painted alignment aid.
2011-04-03%2016.04.45.jpg

The face reveal:
2011-04-03%2016.05.52.jpg

2011-04-03%2016.11.36.jpg

I am fairly happy with how the painting turned out. I'm letting it sit a day to harden up before I play around with it too much. I still need to paint the alignment dot on top of the club - probably white. I'm also still trying to think of what I would like to stamp on the bottom of the club? Still looking for ideas there.

Another picture of the bottom finished but missing stampings..

2011-04-03%2016.11.51.jpg

One last pic:
2011-04-03%2016.12.00.jpg

Beautiful, I would stamp GopherNut #1 on the bottom, and that is all.

Back