TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Mardin, just finished watching your fitting video. The difference in before and after is awesome. I can't wait to go get fitted now. I'm not sure the pro I planned on meeting with on Thursday has similar technology to what you used in your fitting. I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better served going elsewhere where I can utilize the launch monitor. I believe our local Dick's has similar computer set-up to what was used on your fitting.

Mardin, just finished watching your fitting video. The difference in before and after is awesome. I can't wait to go get fitted now. I'm not sure the pro I planned on meeting with on Thursday has similar technology to what you used in your fitting. I'm beginning to wonder if I would be better served going elsewhere where I can utilize the launch monitor. I believe our local Dick's has similar computer set-up to what was used on your fitting.

I have never seen what LM Dick's uses but I have a feeling they are not useing Trackman which is what was used at the TaylorMade Kingdom fitting. But any LM will be better than none to try and dial in your optimal #'s.

Just ordered my R11 today from my local club fitter- 10.5* with Diamana Ahina X Flex! Can't wait to get it. Putting a White IOMIC Sticky 2.3 on it as well.

Just ordered my R11 today from my local club fitter- 10.5* with Diamana Ahina X Flex! Can't wait to get it. Putting a White IOMIC Sticky 2.3 on it as well.

Good luck with the new stick. I love those grips, I just wish I could afford to put them on all of my clubs.

This, along with the closed ASP might help lower the spin rate. I have my club set at what I call "anti-slice mode". I used to hit big sky slices and by closing the ASP and bringing the loft down my shots have a lower trajectory and less spin rate. The weight in the heel for a draw bias also helps. If you check out my R11 fitting video you will notice the spin rate drastically drops as well as the vertical launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frWTNiA49WE

These settings along with a different shaft for my clubhead speed have helped make my slice dissapear.

Nice video - I thought I was seeing Dustin Johnson for a minute :). Nice swing on the 2nd to last. Hold that follow through at the end. Having the lady telling you how great things are certainly doesn't hurt either. Good luck with the club. Right shaft for the swing.

Dick's doesn't have TrackMan...boo. But they do have a LM in their little hitting bays. I would go into your fitting with a game plan, ask as many questions as possible, but keep an open mind on what will truly fit your game. If you don't want to go to Dicks, I'm recommend searching for a TM demo day around your area. The ProShop by my house had one last week and they told me that TM brings the trackman and flightscope to a lot of their demo days.

Hey Mardin, that looks familiar! I picked up 22 yards on my fitting. Amazing what the right shaft and head settings will do for you.

Good luck with the new stick. I love those grips, I just wish I could afford to put them on all of my clubs.

Thanks! I agree, I actually got a set at no charge otherwise I would never spend that much for grips. But I do love their putter grips as well. This will be my first time trying the woods/iron grips.

Here are the average numbers from the fitting the other week. Sorry it to so long to get them posted, the pro took a while to get them to me. I ended up sticking with the Fubuki 60 at a 11* setting. We stared out in at 10.5* and bumped it up. I gained about 10-15 yards by doing that. Let me know if you have any questions.

Taylor Made Fubuki 60 Stiff 11* Loft Setting
Averages
Club Speed- 106.48
Ball Velocity- 147.6
Launch Angle- 13.3
Ball Spin- 2,845
Carry- 235.8
Total- 260.5
PTR- 138.7

Taylor Made Blur 11* Loft Setting
Averages
Club Speed- 103.95
Ball Velocity- 145.3
Launch Angle- 15.5
Ball Spin- 2,556
Carry- 239.5
Total- 264.7
PTR- 139.8

Taylor Made Blur 55 Stiff 11* Loft Setting
Averages
Club Speed- 104.97
Ball Velocity- 145
Launch Angle- 15.7
Ball Spin- 2,659
Carry- 238.1
Total- 263.1
PTR- 138.1

Taylor Made Diamana 70 Stiff 11* Loft Setting
Averages
Club Speed- 106.88
Ball Velocity- 144.8
Launch Angle- 12.4
Ball Spin- 3,115
Carry- 229.2
Total- 253.2
PTR- 135.5

Here are the specific Fubuki Numbers, I have the 10.5* setting first and then the 11* setting second.

Taylor Made Fubuki Stiff 10.5* Loft Setting
6 different hits
Club Speed- 110.87, 105.08, 104.63, 100.90, 107.83, 109.05
Ball Velocity- 151.1, 149.9, 143.2, 139.6, 144.9, 147.4
Launch Angle- 10.4, 11.7, 12.4, 15.0, 14.1, 12.6
Ball Spin- 3,249, 2,861, 3,010, 2,680, 2,969, 3,086
Carry- 235.2, 234.0, 227.4, 227.3, 233.7, 237.8
Total- 259.9, 258.5, 251.3, 251.1, 258.2, 262.8
PTR- 136.2, 142.7, 136.8, 138.4, 134.4, 135.2
Deviation- 4.8 R, 6.6 R, 4.4 L, 4.7 R, 3.6 L, 1.5 L

Taylor Made Fubuki Stiff 11* Loft Setting
5 different hits
Club Speed- 107.03, 106.40, 107.09, 106.73, 105.63
Ball Velocity- 146.2, 149.9, 152.0, 148.2, 151.5
Launch Angle- 14.0, 14.1, 14.7, 13.0, 14.4
Ball Spin- 2,896, 2,600, 2,520, 2,944, 2,475
Carry- 236.7, 235.7, 251.0, 227.6, 247.0
Total- 261.6, 260.4, 277.4, 251.5, 273.0
PTR- 136.6, 140.9, 142.0, 138.8, 143.4
Deviation- 5.1 L, 2.4 L, 4.2 L, 17.9 R, 4.8 R

It looks like you were hitting some bombs with the Blur, what were your dispersion patterns like? What was your launch after with 10.5?? What were you swinging prior to the R11? Sorry for all of the questions, I've got two fitting under my belt and I'm craving this ability to get Ultra dialed-in, especially with the R11.

I dont think i have posted this link yet but it has allot of cool stuff in it, its a TM Training PDF with videos and good info over all the new lines including the R11
http://www.tmag.com/training/2011/R11_Driver_Rescue11_TP_Irons/
Its slideshows with voiceovers explaing everything and fitting videos, i thought it was pretty cool, just remembered i had it. Slide 12 says ASP does not affect loft and explains why

I dont think i have posted this link yet but it has allot of cool stuff in it, its a TM Training PDF with videos and good info over all the new lines including the R11
http://www.tmag.com/training/2011/R11_Driver_Rescue11_TP_Irons/
Its slideshows with voiceovers explaing everything and fitting videos, i thought it was pretty cool, just remembered i had it. Slide 12 says ASP does not affect loft and explains why

Very cool find, I just buzzed through it. It has a lot of great info. Also features the TP irons at the bottom. Sweet!

Very cool find, I just buzzed through it. It has a lot of great info. Also features the TP irons at the bottom. Sweet!

Ya ive had it bookmarked since early Feb and forgot about it, sorry guys lol

It looks like you were hitting some bombs with the Blur, what were your dispersion patterns like? What was your launch after with 10.5?? What were you swinging prior to the R11? Sorry for all of the questions, I've got two fitting under my belt and I'm craving this ability to get Ultra dialed-in, especially with the R11.

I was hitting the Blur great, but not good enough to go out and buy a new shaft over the Fubuki I already owned. The dispersion was about the same with the Blur. You can see the numbers with the Fubuki in launch angle difference. It was around a 11ish when I was at 10.5* and went up to about 13-14 ish when it was at 11*. I had an original R9 with a Grafolly Platinum shaft in it. Dont' worry about all the questions, let me know if you have anymore.

This combo is amazing! I have the 9* Diamana ahina X flex with the White Iomics! It just looks sweet!

I had an awesome day with my R11. I was hitting this thing very well, long and straight. I had 7 FIRS and I can think of 3 more that were no more than a yard in the rough. There were a couple of times where I put a small fade on it, but I alsways plan for that. I hit the green on a par 4 with my drive...managed to make my eagle putt. I dont know if that would have happened with another driver in the bag. My mishits today tended to be a little on the heel, I lost some distance but the results were still decent and definately manageable. When you hit this driver on the screws you sure do know it. The ball just takes off. Thank you for my wonderful day today R11.

Last edited:
I had an awesome day with my R11. I was hitting this thing very well, long and straight. I had 7 FIRS and I can think of 3 more that were no more than a yard in the rough. There were a couple of times where I put a small fade on it, but I alsways plan for that. I hit a par 4 in 2...managed to make my eagle putt. I dont know if that would have happened with another driver in the bag. My mishits today tended to be a little on the heel, I lost some distance but the results were still decent and definately manageable. When you hit this driver on the screws you sure do know it. The ball just takes off. Thank you for my wonderful day today R11.

Good stuff man. Yeah I saw the picture of that tee shot on the par 4, I bet that felt good. Thanks for the feedback bro.

Good stuff man. Yeah I saw the picture of that tee shot on the par 4, I bet that felt good. Thanks for the feedback bro.

Your welcome buddy! Yeah, it was an awesome tee shot with a little up hill, I landed just shy of the green and rolled up on.

I have to ask for some advice on the R11 fitting with or without a launch monitor. I checked around and there are no TM demo days anywhere around me. So my options are as follows: Go to the local Dick's where I know they have a launch monitor just not the one TM uses. Go where I bought my Mizuno irons, where I completed a Mizuno fitting, and hit into their net. Or, go with the local pro and hit outside on a range without any type of launch monitor. I feel like I am inbetween the proverbial "rock and a hard place" on this project. The local pro has an excellent reputation and the fitting would be very similar to a lesson I am sure. I have never been fitted for a driver. I have always just hit off the rack clubs until I ordered the Mizunos last month. Any feedback would be appreciated. Mike

I have to ask for some advice on the R11 fitting with or without a launch monitor. I checked around and there are no TM demo days anywhere around me. So my options are as follows: Go to the local Dick's where I know they have a launch monitor just not the one TM uses. Go where I bought my Mizuno irons, where I completed a Mizuno fitting, and hit into their net. Or, go with the local pro and hit outside on a range without any type of launch monitor. I feel like I am inbetween the proverbial "rock and a hard place" on this project. The local pro has an excellent reputation and the fitting would be very similar to a lesson I am sure. I have never been fitted for a driver. I have always just hit off the rack clubs until I ordered the Mizunos last month. Any feedback would be appreciated. Mike

Hey Mike, the R11 is a pretty pricey driver, its also a great driver that I think will stay in ones bag for a while so its worth it. I would recommend looking outside your normal areas of hitting golf gear and if you have to drive a couple of hours to a good golf store then it would be worth it. But, as long as you can get on a launch monitor then thats all you need.

I called TM and they referred me to a local private club that does TM fittings. They had a launch monitor and fitting cart. I really had a great time dialing the club in and making sure I had the right shaft. It only cost me $75 too. I would try calling a few other TM dealers around and see if they will do this for you.

I had an awesome day with my R11. I was hitting this thing very well, long and straight. I had 7 FIRS and I can think of 3 more that were no more than a yard in the rough. There were a couple of times where I put a small fade on it, but I alsways plan for that. I hit a par 4 in 2...managed to make my eagle putt. I dont know if that would have happened with another driver in the bag. My mishits today tended to be a little on the heel, I lost some distance but the results were still decent and definately manageable. When you hit this driver on the screws you sure do know it. The ball just takes off. Thank you for my wonderful day today R11.

R11 = Eagle man! Good stuff one-T and like I told ya bro, once you get a taste of the big chicken, the barbecue is on dude:thumb:

I called TM and they referred me to a local private club that does TM fittings. They had a launch monitor and fitting cart. I really had a great time dialing the club in and making sure I had the right shaft. It only cost me $75 too. I would try calling a few other TM dealers around and see if they will do this for you.

That $75 is money well spent. $75 will save you agony in the long run, especially with so many shaft options out there, your fitter will be able to help you find the perfect one for your swing.

I really want to hit my r11 with the weight in the heel.. But I hit it like crap when I do. It's pretty much impossible for me to hook it or draw it. As a lefty, it's kind of a pain when I'm playing right handed favored courses. Straight I don't have a problem with. I guess I'll just have to keep working on my swing and figure it out.

I really want to hit my r11 with the weight in the heel.. But I hit it like crap when I do. It's pretty much impossible for me to hook it or draw it. As a lefty, it's kind of a pain when I'm playing right handed favored courses. Straight I don't have a problem with. I guess I'll just have to keep working on my swing and figure it out.

maybe im confused cause your a lefty, you want the heavy weight in the heel for a draw, i would think it would be the same thing for a lefty version

Back