Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Fat shafts! Im really becoming a believer in them. They just work and seem to work really well too. I think the shafts have been something that has really surprised me the most about these irons.

I'd love to try them in the Half and Half shafts. I pretty much convinced myself that those wouldn't work for me, but now I'm not so sure.

I'd love to try them in the Half and Half shafts. I pretty much convinced myself that those wouldn't work for me, but now I'm not so sure.

yeah I wouldnt discount them without hitting them. Just like the Di11's in general are great clubs and most people wouldnt think about them. Im still fascinated by the half and half shafts.

What is everyone doing with their wedges? I'm trying to figure out what degree wedges to get.

I have been playing GW to 56* & 60*. I really haven't missed a beat with that setup. That being said I'm considering going to a 52/58 CG16 set up to get my gaps a little more consistent.

Ive actually gone GW to 55* SW and thats it. Dropped the 60* trouble maker from the bag and havent missed a beat.

So this past weekend the weather was terrible. Short of rain or snow it just wasnt good. Chilly and my nemesis, wind. Im sure you see where this is going. I had good intentions on Saturday as I went to the range. Instead I decided to play the front 9 and aside from playing the par 5 9th perfectly for a walk off par it was a bad idea to skip the range time. When struck well these irons like most dont disappoint but this was my problem. It was just a bad ball striking day.

So Sunday comes and I cant resist and decide to play 18 at the course close to me. My lack of range time with the Di11's last week was killing me with inconsistent ball striking. I was very bad off the tee and this was leaving in the trees or very long approach shots. Something that did stand out for me from the Sunday round was I had a chance to workability the ball. Or at least try it. I hit a bad drive that left me in the trees along the left side of the fw. GPS said 170 ish to the green. Tree right in front of me so my choices are punch out into the fw or workability the ball around the trees. I opt for workability, set up closed, close the face and line my body to the right. Hit a perfect draw that started right and drew right into the middle of the fw but about 5 yards short of the green. Regardless I was pleased with the outcome. For irons that are about distance I find them remarkably workable. And I need range time.

Great stuff Kevin. Well maybe not great stuff but the writeup was good lol. I am also finding these irons pretty easy to workability. I find that I just need to exaggerate my move just a little bit and I can work these no problem

So I went and looked at my stats from last year to this year and thought it was pretty startling to say the least. Last year I started with Adams Pro Black MB's which are a very nice set of blades. Played some good golf with them but felt like I needed more forgiveness for those off days. Sold those and went with the Ping G15's. Loved those irons. Really felt that I hit the ball a lot better with them and had no intentions of switching at all until this testing came up. So that brings me to 2/19 which is when I made the switch to the Di11's. I think the results speak for themselves.
Adams:
3/11/10--Olde Liberty--85
5/15/10--Olde Liberty--90
10/16/10--Falls Village--99

Pings:
10/20/10--Knights Play(Par 3)--64
10/24/10--Falls Village--92
11/14/10--Olde Liberty--95
11/20/10--Falls Village--88
1/30/11--Olde Liberty--91

Wilsons:
2/19/11--Wendell--84
2/27/11--Wendell--87--Should have been a lot better if not for getting hit up on
3/5/11--Heritage--88--2 blow up holes or this would have been low 80's/70's
3/13/11--Wendell--84
3/19/11--Keith Hills--83

I am kind of shocked quite honestly. I didn't realize how bad I was scoring with the Pings. I am not what would be considered an accurate player but my last 2 rounds I've hit 55.6% GIR which is amazing for me.

Those are some solid stats there. Cant argue with numbers like those. Hopefully they keep going down or at least stay steady like that. Nice stuff CL.

Great stats CL, thats very interesting and says a ton right there. OEM I agree agree with you about the fat shafts but really a believer about the shafts in general. Another driving range day for me today and another day of just loving these irons.

So I went and looked at my stats from last year to this year and thought it was pretty startling to say the least. Last year I started with Adams Pro Black MB's which are a very nice set of blades. Played some good golf with them but felt like I needed more forgiveness for those off days. Sold those and went with the Ping G15's. Loved those irons. Really felt that I hit the ball a lot better with them and had no intentions of switching at all until this testing came up. So that brings me to 2/19 which is when I made the switch to the Di11's. I think the results speak for themselves.
Adams:
3/11/10--Olde Liberty--85
5/15/10--Olde Liberty--90
10/16/10--Falls Village--99

Pings:
10/20/10--Knights Play(Par 3)--64
10/24/10--Falls Village--92
11/14/10--Olde Liberty--95
11/20/10--Falls Village--88
1/30/11--Olde Liberty--91

Wilsons:
2/19/11--Wendell--84
2/27/11--Wendell--87--Should have been a lot better if not for getting hit up on
3/5/11--Heritage--88--2 blow up holes or this would have been low 80's/70's
3/13/11--Wendell--84
3/19/11--Keith Hills--83

I am kind of shocked quite honestly. I didn't realize how bad I was scoring with the Pings. I am not what would be considered an accurate player but my last 2 rounds I've hit 55.6% GIR which is amazing for me.

Great post Chunky. Stats like that are awesome, your confidence must be on such a high!

That right there is an incredible post and a testament to unbiased forum testing.

You Wilson Testers are working hard and bringing the reviews. Chunks stats are proof in the pudding, these irons are the real deal!

I haven't been playing as long as the other 3 testers, but I looked back at my numbers after CL got me curious. Now obviously some of this is just learning to play better but some of it is the clubs.

Here is the first couple of months I played. Now as a caveat, I am left handed but when I started I played the first 6 weeks right handed cause a buddy gave me a right handed set to use to see if I liked playing. These scores were with an old set of Nikes

8/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 2.22 0 -- 127
8/1/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 124
7/22/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 132
7/17/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 -- 126
7/5/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 131

Switched to my left handed Pings after 8/8/10, so basically was starting over:

11/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 116
10/23/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 50 -- 114
10/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 117
9/15/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 117
9/12/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 122
8/27/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 -- 116
8/15/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 118

A lot of range time over the winter and was hitting like this:

2/16/11 Buffalo Run Golf Course -- 0 -- 113
2/11/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- -- -- 49
2/8/11 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 101
1/30/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 50 -- 94
1/28/11 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 107
1/15/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 47
1/12/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 102
12/5/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 106
12/1/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 113

Since getting these Fi11's at the end of Feb. I have only shot 1 round over 100

I haven't been playing as long as the other 3 testers, but I looked back at my numbers after CL got me curious. Now obviously some of this is just learning to play better but some of it is the clubs.

Here is the first couple of months I played. Now as a caveat, I am left handed but when I started I played the first 6 weeks right handed cause a buddy gave me a right handed set to use to see if I liked playing. These scores were with an old set of Nikes

8/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 2.22 0 -- 127
8/1/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 124
7/22/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 132
7/17/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 -- 126
7/5/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 131

Switched to my left handed Pings after 8/8/10, so basically was starting over:

11/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 116
10/23/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 50 -- 114
10/8/10 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 117
9/15/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 117
9/12/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 122
8/27/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 -- 116
8/15/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 118

A lot of range time over the winter and was hitting like this:

2/16/11 Buffalo Run Golf Course -- 0 -- 113
2/11/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- -- -- 49
2/8/11 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 101
1/30/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 50 -- 94
1/28/11 Riverdale Dunes & Knolls: Knolls Course 107
1/15/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 47
1/12/11 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 102
12/5/10 Indian Peaks Golf Course -- 0 106
12/1/10 Thorncreek Golf Club -- 0 -- 113

Since getting these Fi11's at the end of Feb. I have only shot 1 round over 100

Good stuff Ron as it takes a good bit of work to put these stats together. Sounds like you have the arrows for the Indian if ya know what I mean :thumb:

Lots of really good write ups on here. Now i have an itch to go out and give them a try.

Lots of really good write ups on here. Now i have an itch to go out and give them a try.

I'll let you try mine on the range when we get together if you don't mind smacking the ball left handed

Nice work guys!

Are those low scores due to more distance, or confidence in the clubs?

Courtney I believe this is all about confidence but I believe some of the confidence is from the added distance. Because the Di11's are longer I can take shorter clubs into greens. Some will say that I am still hitting a 6 iron but it just says 7 on the bottom. I really have no comeback to that as that might be true. But my brain is seeing a 7 iron in my hand and I am far more confident hitting 7 over 6. Plus I really do think the fat shafts are helping on my mishits. A few weeks ago I hit a shot completely off the toe. I posted a picture on here showing the ball mark on the face and it clearly shows that I hit the ball so far off the toe that it was not even in the groove area. Yet this ball ended up 10 feet from the pin. These clubs do exactly what W/S say they do plus I have found that I can hit pretty much any type of shot that is needed. High/low left/right is not too big a problem with these. I am a pretty confident golfer right now

Great comment, Chunky. I think you summed up your feelings very well.

Courtney I believe this is all about confidence but I believe some of the confidence is from the added distance. Because the Di11's are longer I can take shorter clubs into greens. Some will say that I am still hitting a 6 iron but it just says 7 on the bottom. I really have no comeback to that as that might be true. But my brain is seeing a 7 iron in my hand and I am far more confident hitting 7 over 6. Plus I really do think the fat shafts are helping on my mishits. A few weeks ago I hit a shot completely off the toe. I posted a picture on here showing the ball mark on the face and it clearly shows that I hit the ball so far off the toe that it was not even in the groove area. Yet this ball ended up 10 feet from the pin. These clubs do exactly what W/S say they do plus I have found that I can hit pretty much any type of shot that is needed. High/low left/right is not too big a problem with these. I am a pretty confident golfer right now

Man, you just summed that up really freaking well. REALLY well!

CL- wow! That is a great big difference with the Wilson clubs. I have to try these. I am going to have to find a demo with a half/half shaft to try. (The uniflex will be too heavy fir me)

Ron- I didn't know that you have only played about a year! It looks like the Wilsons are a good fit for you, too.

Ron- I didn't know that you have only played about a year! It looks like the Wilsons are a good fit for you, too.

They are Koko. They instill confidence in you. They are making me take shots I normally wouldn't have the cojones to take, because I know these clubs are going to perform. I know it's about me, my skill and how I use the clubs, BUT I know if I make a mistake these clubs have my back and will cover for me, so that the results will not be as bad from a mistake made with these as compared to a mistake made with my old set.

I'll let you try mine on the range when we get together if you don't mind smacking the ball left handed

Dang so now i have to go practice left handed!...LOL I am glad they are working out for you and looking forward to seeing you hit them at the Rocky Mountain get together in May.

Gees we might have to lock this thread up on that comment right there. It cannot be put any better then that. Well said CL.

Back