What to you play out of the sand?

What to you play out of the sand?

• Total voters
I play a 56 Vokey that was bent to 55 to match the lofts in my irons.

At my home course i would use a pw because my bunkers arent deep, but if it is deep a 56

Most of the time I use the 60*. I like this club because I just lay it open and can swing hard at it. It takes less finesse than a typical sand wedge loft.

I use my 56 for greenside and go to my other wedges for further away bunkers.

I use my 56 most of the time. If its a long bunker shot i will use my 52. If the bunkers are fluffy I'll use my 60 for a close shot and the 56 for mid to long shots 52 if its a real long shot.

I picked something else because 55* wasn't an option, green side it's almost always my 55*

54° Vokey with I think 11° bounce (it's 10 or 11) is my standard greenside bunker club. For an extra long shot I will drop down to my 51° AP-2 GW. I rarely use my 56° out of the sand - that is my substitute for a LW. I could probably take it out of the bag and never miss it. :confused2:

I play a 58* out because my 56* was flying over the green to often, 60* doesn't go anywhere, and 58* feels just right!

i use my sw from my set im toying with ditching my set wedges and looking at a set of new wedges

I voted 60*. My last few rounds, I have played it exclusively out of the bunkers. Mainly because I kept find myself short sided. The sand I have to play out of is rather hard, so I end playing more of a chip shot than a classic sand shot. In Friday's round I hit the flag stick on both of my sand shots, and it's a good thing too because I would have been a long way away. Both hit and dropped almost straight down, for a short putt.

The problem with SW that comes with sets are the soles are exactly like all of the other irons, they are very thick no matter what compared to other wedges and don't let you dig in like actual wedges with the leading edge. SW's that come with sets are not good out of sand.

For me it all depends on my lie and how far away the pin is, and how much green I have to work with, if it's a long bunker shot I'll go with a 56* or a 52* and if it's a short shot with a tight pin I'll go with a 60*

i agree with the second part, adding it depends on the condition of the sand(fluffy, tight, wet, etc) but i disagree with the first part whole heartly!! tell my ping eye 2 sw that its no good or my hogan ftx sw that its no good see what happens....LOL. i will put my hogan up against any other sand wedge any day of the week.

I suggest you go to Clevelands website and see when the next Demo Day is in your area. You can then go and test different lofts, bounces etc. You are never going to find the perfect wedge for all sand conditions, but this will give you the chance to decide what is going to work best for you in most areas. As mentioned before most sand wedges that come with the set don't cut it, as the soles are to large.

I use my Nike Slingshot OSS 56* SW (I don't know the bounce) that came with the set for green side bunkers. I love it and I get up and down very consistently. I got a CG 15 56* with 14* bounce and a CG 15 60* with 12* bounce. I haven't had an opportunity to try the CG 15 56* from a bunker yet (still snow on my yard!!). I was able to get out to an outside range last week and I still prefer my Nike 56* to the CG a5 56* for my 95-100 yard shots. I will try both on the course when the courses are drier.

So I officially did change to a 60* wedge out of the sand around the green and it has made a huge difference in my sand play. Saturday I got up and down from 3 out of the 4 bunkers I played in. and a couple of weeks ago I play at the bunker filled Whistling straits and although I only landed in 3 bunkers all day I got up and down from 2 of them, the third was a little unfair because of where it was but I still got out okay. This seems to be the right club for me, and it is sooooooo much better than the R9 sandwedge.

56* BV Design Titleist Wedge

I used to play a 56* but I have recently switched to using a 60*. I seem to have much better luck with it and get more backspin out of the sand.

I'm slowly trying to play my 56 for all short game shots.

But I have used the 60 alot out of sand this year; unless I'm really close to the hole I use my 56. It gets out better but rolls forever on me

Cleveland CG16 56 degree wedge.

I use my 60 degree almost exclusively out of the sand. I go to the 56 on longer shots.

I assume you're talking about a greenside bunker?

I like to use my 50*, 55*, or 60* wedge. Depends on the sand, the lie, the lip, and how much green I have in front of me.

Same here.

For the most part I use the 56 because thats what I bought it for, however depending on most of the characteristics described above I've definitely gone to the 60 a time or two and I haven't been disappointed.

I'll tell you once I actually get out of the sand....but honestly I usually stick with my 56 degree wedge. I haven't had much luck with anything else.

I use a Cleveland 588 60* exclusively. I also have a 588 56* but it digs in the sand where my 60* has a perfect sole to glide under the ball. I can usually get out of the sand with no problem with it and the other great thing about it is that I don't have to open the club up a ton or change my swing other than hit a couple inches behind the ball.

If you are asking about a greenside bunker it depends on the length of the shot or how I want it to land or both but I use my 60 LW probably 75-80% of the time. From a fairway bunker I have hit everything except a driver, depends on the distance I need and the lip.

56 sandy all day long!

Back