Journey to Break 85

I should have stayed home this weekend. There is no reason to play golf when it's as cold as it is here, but I just want to play. I think it did more to kill my confidence than anything, but there were some positives. Maybe I can talk myself out of this funk lol

Driving - Wow. Just so good (for me). I hit almost every fairway today. Distance was so-so due to the conditions, but I was just thrilled with my long game both days. I lost one ball off the right today, but it was still in the fairway. Just huge for me to hit the driver this well and could be exactly what I need to have a chance to put up good scores this year. I've got the mini fade down right now and it seems to be very predictable.

Irons and Hybrids - Hybrids were probably better than irons this weekend. I had some real beauties with the Mashies, but also had some awful shots. Mostly thins or fats. When I say fat, I mean Precious fat. Wrist busters. Shorter irons were actually pretty good, except I was hitting them as far as my wedges, at least into the wind. Long irons were disappointing and have me wondering. I was losing them out to the right and it was frustrating as hell. Big, high fades that got killed in the wind. I'm 99% sure that I was too steep with them, so I know where to start.

Short Game - Honestly, the biggest disappointment of the weekend. I lost more strokes from 70 yard and in than anywhere. Just ridiculous crap that I shouldn't have been doing. Lot of chunks and that just annoys me to no end. It was so bad yesterday that I was taking at least 2 wedge shots on every hole for the front nine. Finally, I got it together and I scored 11 strokes better on the back. Goes to show how important it is to my game, I guess. The one bright spot was a chip in from the fringe. I was on a side hill lie and chipping downhill to the hole. Really just a nightmare scenario. I fist pumped mightily after that shot lol.

Putting - Surprisingly good for this early. Hit a couple longer putts yesterday and some mid-range ones today. Still need to work a bit on lags. I had a couple three jacks, but those were just as much a product of poor short game shots as they were bad putting. Hard to two putt from 40 feet and above the hole.

In all, my game sucked donkey chromaxes this weekend, aside from nine holes yesterday. I'm going to just forget about it though. It's supposed to be in the 60's next weekend and it should be a little easier to play. Just needed a place to come complain for a bit and now I feel better ;)

I should have stayed home this weekend. There is no reason to play golf when it's as cold as it is here, but I just want to play. I think it did more to kill my confidence than anything, but there were some positives. Maybe I can talk myself out of this funk lol

Driving - Wow. Just so good (for me). I hit almost every fairway today. Distance was so-so due to the conditions, but I was just thrilled with my long game both days. I lost one ball off the right today, but it was still in the fairway. Just huge for me to hit the driver this well and could be exactly what I need to have a chance to put up good scores this year. I've got the mini fade down right now and it seems to be very predictable.

Irons and Hybrids - Hybrids were probably better than irons this weekend. I had some real beauties with the Mashies, but also had some awful shots. Mostly thins or fats. When I say fat, I mean Precious fat. Wrist busters. Shorter irons were actually pretty good, except I was hitting them as far as my wedges, at least into the wind. Long irons were disappointing and have me wondering. I was losing them out to the right and it was frustrating as hell. Big, high fades that got killed in the wind. I'm 99% sure that I was too steep with them, so I know where to start.

Short Game - Honestly, the biggest disappointment of the weekend. I lost more strokes from 70 yard and in than anywhere. Just ridiculous crap that I shouldn't have been doing. Lot of chunks and that just annoys me to no end. It was so bad yesterday that I was taking at least 2 wedge shots on every hole for the front nine. Finally, I got it together and I scored 11 strokes better on the back. Goes to show how important it is to my game, I guess. The one bright spot was a chip in from the fringe. I was on a side hill lie and chipping downhill to the hole. Really just a nightmare scenario. I fist pumped mightily after that shot lol.

Putting - Surprisingly good for this early. Hit a couple longer putts yesterday and some mid-range ones today. Still need to work a bit on lags. I had a couple three jacks, but those were just as much a product of poor short game shots as they were bad putting. Hard to two putt from 40 feet and above the hole.

In all, my game sucked donkey chromaxes this weekend, aside from nine holes yesterday. I'm going to just forget about it though. It's supposed to be in the 60's next weekend and it should be a little easier to play. Just needed a place to come complain for a bit and now I feel better ;)

Keep on movin' on Hawk. I know what the cold weather golfing can do confidence wise, my game three weeks ago in that crap seemed to just let things snowball so easily. Keep at it and as the temp goes up the game will come around in time for peak season, the bright spots will just get brighter! You got this!

Thanks man. I know that much of it was the conditions. Hurrying, not getting comfortable, in spots that I'm normally not since the ball didn't go as far. I just kept telling myself not to take to much away from it.

Thanks man. I know that much of it was the conditions. Hurrying, not getting comfortable, in spots that I'm normally not since the ball didn't go as far. I just kept telling myself not to take to much away from it.

The distsnce is def whats always the killer for me early. I have the hardest time with the internal battle about convincing myself to realize the cold is whats killing it and it will get better. Then, inevitably on the first warm round of the year I'm carrying everything lol, never fails.

I feel you on the weather, since were both midwesterners. It just goes to show how cruel the golfing gods are to people in the midwest. You can be out at the range or on the course with temps 50s and 60s, then one morning, BAM! There's two inches of snow on the ground and the forecast says it won't be above 40 for a week.

I have to admire the effort though, I'm not nearly brave enough to go out in sub-45 temperatures, especially with the wind.

Really, 35 doesn't bother me much, but the wind made it feel much, much colder this weekend. Supposed to be 60 this weekend. Woot!

I love how you keep a positive vibe and at least take something good away from your round. Great job Hawk and it will all come together for you. Seriously bro, serious.

I love how you keep a positive vibe and at least take something good away from your round. Great job Hawk and it will all come together for you. Seriously bro, serious.

Yea, I'm over it. Yesterday, I started out really good, but BLEW UP the third hole and just couldn't shake it. I felt like an idiot, but it happens. Next round will be different :)

Hawk I know just how you feel. I've been having some rounds like that a lot lately and it is just frustrating. I stay positive and still believe it's in me to shoot a good round. I've had a couple decent rounds lately so that keeps me positive. When you finally break through into the 70's 5 times in one year and then start shooting in the 90's and 100's again, you get really ticked off!!!

I know you'll get back there KB!!!

Hawk I know just how you feel. I've been having some rounds like that a lot lately and it is just frustrating. I stay positive and still believe it's in me to shoot a good round. I've had a couple decent rounds lately so that keeps me positive. When you finally break through into the 70's 5 times in one year and then start shooting in the 90's and 100's again, you get really ticked off!!!

Yea, I have some decent rounds as well and I was hitting the ball well at the range, so it stung pretty bad to go suck it up like that. By the end, I was just laughing. Just one of those days and I just decided to have some fun with it.

I was just thinking about this after exchanging some PM's I want to put this out there.

Wedge Game.... I've been really paying attention to JB and TC. Haha, no serious. And one drill I do constantly is I dont leave the range until I hit my target 2x. So Ill hit the 50 yard drum once and the 75 yard sign once. What a feeling of accomplishment. I noticing more and more balls are on target (still working on distance). I've also worked on having just one club for certain shots. Almost anything 75 yards and in is my 50*. I've found I don't leave as many shots short and ill take the extra rollout if that means being on the green. Only exception is when I don't have a lot of green to work with. Then I will pull out the 56* but I have to be 15-20 yards out.

I also tried a session without Thainer's drill to see if I ready. My last five balls were spent on the drill hahahaha. But my wedges are on point. For me.

I don't spend a ton of time at the range, but I'm going to start doing that too. I'm struggling a bit at the 50-95 yard range right now. I use my 52 more than anything for short game shots, but the 60 is becoming my greenside wedge lately. I think I could dump the 56 if I wanted another club somewhere else. Of course, a few trips to the beach might change my mind as far as that goes.

I'm taking the easy way out and buying a Niblick 56° wedge. I've actually gotten better with my short game but I'm adding one more weapon. :) Yoccos, didn't you use the Niblick for a while? I do practice my short game a good bit when the weather is good but there is a lot of room for improvement.

KB I did use a Niblick for quite the while! But because Callaway doesnt have one I figured I better get real familiar with my wedges. I dont consider it the easy way at all :) Definitely a versatile club though and if I go back after the MC I'm looking at a 49 or 56. Love that club!

I'm taking the easy way out and buying a Niblick 56° wedge. I've actually gotten better with my short game but I'm adding one more weapon. :) Yoccos, didn't you use the Niblick for a while? I do practice my short game a good bit when the weather is good but there is a lot of room for improvement.

KB I did use a Niblick for quite the while! But because Callaway doesnt have one I figured I better get real familiar with my wedges. I dont consider it the easy way at all :) Definitely a versatile club though and if I go back after the MC I'm looking at a 49 or 56. Love that club!

Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. I wondered why the Niblick had left your bag. I know it won't be all that easy but I do think it will give me a bit more confidence around the green. I am going to practice, practice, practice with that thing when it comes in. I have a big tournament coming up in April and I'm hoping my short game will be sharp.

You know though once you get it down KB, that club is just automatic. So many times it put me close and just gave me confidence around the green I hadnt had in years. You'll do awesome once you hve it down.

Ok, now I understand where you are coming from. I wondered why the Niblick had left your bag. I know it won't be all that easy but I do think it will give me a bit more confidence around the green. I am going to practice, practice, practice with that thing when it comes in. I have a big tournament coming up in April and I'm hoping my short game will be sharp.

Monday morning status updates are always something I look forward to.

Last week I played twice, once at the shorter course, and once at a longer course. I also hit the range and the green once.

My short course round was pretty good. I ended up shooting an 83, which tied my best score there. I didn't really do anything great, but everything was equally ok, hence the ok score. Short game was good and I didn't get myself in much trouble off the tee, which always seems to be the key for me.

Practice session was very good and I wrote about it in the CB thread. I was hitting the ball really well and had a lot of confidence after I left. The best part was I got to practice putting on a real green and I was really working hard on up and downs. Chip and putt - in the hole in two strokes. I tried to spend extra time on the 10 footers that seem to be the difference between a good score and a ok/bad one.

Yesterday's round was sort of one of those wierd onces where you are disappointed and happy at the same time. I ended up with a 98, which wasn't bad for a first official posted round of the year, but it could have been much better. I had a lot of doubles or worse that were offset by a couple birdies and some pars. The weird thing was when I made my first birdie putt from 10 feet, I sort of felt really determined and then everything just clicked for awhile. It was like I was finally playing like the golfer I know I can be. It seemed so easy? Then, I started back pedaling for awhile and finally got it back together to finish decent. It told me that I can do it, but there are some things to work on.

Number 1 is scoring better on par 5's. I know they are supposed to be the easy holes, but I usually have some of my highest scores on them. I think it's a mental thing because I tell myself that stringing three good shots together is harder than stringing two together. It's annoying and I need to figure out a game plan for them as a bogey or double on a par 5 is just a score killer.

Number 2 is (was) my game off the tee. It seems to come and go. Had some good rounds with the driver and then yesterday I didn't hit many fairways at all. I did hit a couple that I don't think I've ever hit, so that was a plus, but for the most part I was stinking it up off the tee. Add an extra shot in due to a bad tee shot and three jack the hole and you are looking at a double if you're lucky. I know what I need to do, it just is hard to do it. I'm not frustrated about it though. It happens to the best of them.

Number 3 is still putting, but this time I really want to work on the 5-6 footers to save par or bogey. I've been missing too many of them and they add up. On the front nine I think I had three 3-jacks. That's just bad news right there. I think that setting myself up for a good putt is just as important as the putt itself some times. If I am below the cup and in a good spot I have a much better chance than leaving myself above it for example.

Next round is going to be better. I'm finally figuring out the course that we are going to be playing most of our rounds at this year. It's tough for me due to elevation and lots of inconveniently placed water/sand. I like it though. Definitely a fun challenge if you know your way around it.

One last thought. I'm walking this year. That tells you how serious I am. LOL, actually it's just an indicator of my poor-ness, but I sort of enjoyed it yesterday. The course is so freaking hilly though. My legs kill today, but in a couple weeks it should be a breeze.

Hawk! I was just thinking about this thread... Great update buddy. I love how you were able to get to the Hawk you know can be even if it wasn't the whole round. Pretty soon it will be. You put a lot of work into your game and it's really cool seeing the results of it. You're 100% right on your thoughts with those 10 foot putts and whatnot.

Thanks buddy.

I think the first key to scoring on Par 5's is getting myself in a good spot off the tee. Yesterday (there are three par 5's on this course), I was behind a tree twice and in a fwy bunker once. I'm also going to try to hit to a number next time to see how it works. Normally, I will hit it as close as possible, but sometimes I get into that 50-80 yard range that can be tough. I'm going to try and hit my PW or 9 iron spot and see what happens. What I'm doing right now isn't working.

Par 5's are tricky. I used to go for it all the time. Lost some distance though and now I just try to get to 75 yards. But you're right dude. Even if its not short grass, as long you have an angle to the spot you want to get too. You'll be workabiliting that hole till it can't take anymore.

Thanks buddy.

I think the first key to scoring on Par 5's is getting myself in a good spot off the tee. Yesterday (there are three par 5's on this course), I was behind a tree twice and in a fwy bunker once. I'm also going to try to hit to a number next time to see how it works. Normally, I will hit it as close as possible, but sometimes I get into that 50-80 yard range that can be tough. I'm going to try and hit my PW or 9 iron spot and see what happens. What I'm doing right now isn't working.

I wasn't sure how to update this thread lol. We are still getting back to normal around the house so practice time has been somewhat of my getaway. I can't get out there all the time but I'm practicing with a purpose. Something I talk to TC and One T about often. I've taken JB's advice about the short game practice and whaddaya know.. it works. My last round I hit so many of those 10 foot putts it was insane. I had a few misreads or I would've really putted well. I can't wait for the :callaway: D.A.R.T to come in. Although I had a great putting day with the 330 Mallet (which is basically the Black Series #5), I really would've benefited from the alignment aid a few times. I know Ill need to get used to the alignment aid and using it all the time. Which frankly maybe a little tough but I'm ready to forge a new habit.

Anyway, my ballstriking aka, center of faceness is never really an issue. Picking my head up and swaying is. I hit a rythm though the last half of my bucket on Saturday. Even my Nike Dymo was on point. Love seeing that. I don't want to screw anyone up with what I did but basically tried to keep my left arm straigh and lower body quiet till it had to move. Switching from my Ci7's to the Machspeeds again haha, really made me realize a harder to hit iron wont help ballstriking. Stopping unecessary movement will.

I'm done being scarred of golf balls lol. There isn't one I can't hit which is nice. They all have their pro's and cons though. Really dialed in the i(z) but can't tell if I shot better with HX Diablo Tour.

I definitely played the par 5s last week this way. First step was to get in the fairway off the tee. In the rough is trouble because its a narrow rough and then trees. I actually teed off with a 4 iron, just to be sure I went in the fairway. Then I laid up with an 7 iron, and left myself 110 yards into a narrow green, which is a PW for me. I was on the green in regulation. It seems weird to hit two short iron shots into a par 5 that is clearly reachable in two. However, that was the safe play.

Yoccos, I wish I had your putting skills. Last year was probably my worst year for putts made in the 5-10' range. I'm determined to work on that, and I'm resorting to some old drills I used to do to work on this.

Haha, thanks McRock. Still a work in progress (3 putted 2 of my first 4 before I settled down lol) but it's all about getting into a comfortable spot and making a good read. I took JB's advice and I practice about 75% within that 10 foot range.

I definitely played the par 5s last week this way. First step was to get in the fairway off the tee. In the rough is trouble because its a narrow rough and then trees. I actually teed off with a 4 iron, just to be sure I went in the fairway. Then I laid up with an 7 iron, and left myself 110 yards into a narrow green, which is a PW for me. I was on the green in regulation. It seems weird to hit two short iron shots into a par 5 that is clearly reachable in two. However, that was the safe play.

Yoccos, I wish I had your putting skills. Last year was probably my worst year for putts made in the 5-10' range. I'm determined to work on that, and I'm resorting to some old drills I used to do to work on this.

I'm glad to see the putting practice is helping. It's amazing how many wasted strokes you can accumulate on the green inside of 10 feet.

The comment about harder to hit clubs not making you better is something I continually have to remind myself. The one thing that is truly going to make me better is shooting lower scores and I am really evaluating my equipment choices (and practice, etc) around that.

I wasn't sure how to update this thread lol. We are still getting back to normal around the house so practice time has been somewhat of my getaway. I can't get out there all the time but I'm practicing with a purpose. Something I talk to TC and One T about often. I've taken JB's advice about the short game practice and whaddaya know.. it works. My last round I hit so many of those 10 foot putts it was insane. I had a few misreads or I would've really putted well. I can't wait for the :callaway: D.A.R.T to come in. Although I had a great putting day with the 330 Mallet (which is basically the Black Series #5), I really would've benefited from the alignment aid a few times. I know Ill need to get used to the alignment aid and using it all the time. Which frankly maybe a little tough but I'm ready to forge a new habit.

Anyway, my ballstriking aka, center of faceness is never really an issue. Picking my head up and swaying is. I hit a rythm though the last half of my bucket on Saturday. Even my Nike Dymo was on point. Love seeing that. I don't want to screw anyone up with what I did but basically tried to keep my left arm straigh and lower body quiet till it had to move. Switching from my Ci7's to the Machspeeds again haha, really made me realize a harder to hit iron wont help ballstriking. Stopping unecessary movement will.

I'm done being scarred of golf balls lol. There isn't one I can't hit which is nice. They all have their pro's and cons though. Really dialed in the i(z) but can't tell if I shot better with HX Diablo Tour.

Back