A few Wedge Questions

Mercer85

Reaction score
Handicap
I almost purchased a Mizuno 52* tonight, but decided against because one the coupon I had was excluded from just about everything at Golf Galaxy. Also I didn't know much about the wedge.

So my question is how does the Mizunos and Callaway JAWS wedges compare to the Vokeys and Clevelands?

I noticed that the Mizzie came with a DG Spinner shaft as well.

I currently have a 56* Vokey and 60* CG12, but I don't really like the CG12, but I like the new CG16s.

Just don't know much about the Mizzies and JAWS... thoughts please?

The mizzies and jaws are spin machines. Much more than any other wedge IMO. Thats about all I can really say lol.

I almost purchased a Mizuno 52* tonight, but decided against because one the coupon I had was excluded from just about everything at Golf Galaxy. Also I didn't know much about the wedge.

So my question is how does the Mizunos and Callaway JAWS wedges compare to the Vokeys and Clevelands?

I currently have a 56* Vokey and 60* CG12, but I don't really like the CG12, but I like the new CG16s.

Unless you can hit them outside don't buy a wedge. Not the question you asked but its near impossible to judge the feel/interaction indoors. Both those wedges will spin, also look at the mizzy mpt10.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I love the look of the Mizzies compared to the Jaws. I think I would like a spin machine as a 52*. I still love the look of those Vokeys, but I think I should branch out. I actually need to replace the Titleist I have now to be comforming lol.

Do you need to be conforming?

I love the look of the Mizzies compared to the Jaws. I think I would like a spin machine as a 52*. I still love the look of those Vokeys, but I think I should branch out. I actually need to replace the Titleist I have now to be comforming lol.

I switched to the Mpt11 SW this season after a couple of practice sessions with a loaner. It's a great control wedge, the shaft, grind and weighting feel effortless to me. Around the green or in greenside bunkers, it's a mensch but it's not my fav for outside of 60-70 yards. Greatly prefer the cg16 from the fairway approach.

I switched to the Mpt11 SW this season after a couple of practice sessions with a loaner. It's a great control wedge, the shaft, grind and weighting feel effortless to me. Around the green or in greenside bunkers, it's a mensch but it's not my fav for outside of 60-70 yards. Greatly prefer the cg16 from the fairway approach.

hmm....maybe I should look into that. That doesn't sound like a bad setup. 52* Cleveland CG16 and *56 in the MPT11. I've also been thinking of possibly going 50*, 54*, 58*. I don't really like 60* wedges. Used to think it was the only way to go, but I was young and dumb. Thought I needed all the loft I could find.

hmm....maybe I should look into that. That doesn't sound like a bad setup. 52* Cleveland CG16 and *56 in the MPT11. I've also been thinking of possibly going 50*, 54*, 58*. I don't really like 60* wedges. Used to think it was the only way to go, but I was young and dumb. Thought I needed all the loft I could find.

Would you consider going to a wedge set? I find I swing better with a consistent club setup

What he said is honest truth. Different weighting, sole grinds, etc... can play heck on your short game.

Would you consider going to a wedge set? I find I swing better with a consistent club setup

yeah, I could possibly do a set of wedges, but I do feel like I would hit the CG16 better from farther out. I don't know what I will do.

How do the xFT wedges hold up? I don't like the idea of a removeable face...do they ever get loose or have any issues risen from those?

if you see this in the next couple of hours kingdom59.com has Eidolon wedges (a very good wedge) for sale. You can get a set of 3 for $215 or $79 for one. The set of 3 is a screaming deal!

yeah, I could possibly do a set of wedges, but I do feel like I would hit the CG16 better from farther out. I don't know what I will do.

How do the xFT wedges hold up? I don't like the idea of a removeable face...do they ever get loose or have any issues risen from those?

Never had any problem with the xFT face coming loose, etc. They are a very solid wedge and I liked them very much.

I've been using Cleveland cg12 *52 and *56 for a couple of years now and love them 85-90 yards for the 52 and 65-70 for the *56. I've tried a couple other wedges and liked the Cleveland's best.

Mercer,

I have been playing Cleveland wedges for about 5 years. I had the 588's for a long time, then about a year and a half ago I put CG14's in the bag. The 14's were great, they felt soft, they're easy on the eyes and they're versatile. I went to a demo day last summer and was able to test quite a few wedges, outside, with good balls (like SWFla suggested) and when I left that day I wanted the JAWS wedges in a bad way. I love the look, I love the feel, and they provide more spin than you can imagine. They do eat golf balls though, so that's something to consider. I didn't buy them b/c the THP fall outing was right around the corner. At the outing, THP had a left handed Mizuno MPT11 wedge with the spinner shaft. I spent a lot of time with it b/c to be honest, there just weren't slews of Left handed samples to spend time with. From the very beginning I knew something was special about the Mizzie and a lot of it had to do with the shaft for me. It also doesn't hurt that I love how sharp the leading edge is and how minimal the bounce is. Do the Mizzie's feel better than the JAWS? That's completely up to the user imo. Do the Mizzie's come with a better stock shaft? Hell yes!

Both are great wedges, I'd gladly have either in my bag. You need to get them outside, on an actualy green if you can bro. Good luck.

I can only speak to the Mizuno MP T10s. Not sure if you were looking at the 10 or 11s. They offer great feel and are very solid on full shots. Spin is excellent if you want it. On little touch shots the balls land softly and don't run out excessively. They are good out of the sand if you know what you are doing. I have hit several terrible shots out of the sand and this leads me to the downside of these wedges. The leading edge can easily dig in if you are not careful. If my lie is tangled rough or pancake/buried sand I will hit the GW. This hurts me as I lose the needed loft around the green. I don't necessarily need a perfect lie to hit the 10s, I am just very aware of how they perform for me in less than ideal lies.

All that said, the 56.10 was a killer scoring iron for me last year. 10 bounce works just about everywhere and the loft is very versatile. I am putting a Niblick in the bag this year to compensate for the Mizuno's shortcomings. Feel wise, nothing beats the Mizzy.

If you want to branch out, check out the Scratch wedges. I really like mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as has been suggested i would try and hit a few before you buy.

i recently upgraded to mp-t11's which were custom fitted after i tried them at the mizuno fitting centre.

only had 2 rounds so far but they have slotted in to the bag pretty well. only thing im not sure about is fuller shots the kbs hi-rev shaft seems to be pretty high launching on both 52 and 58. not great when its nearly always windy in scotland. the grind is very versatile, and i had the 58 face wide open on a couple of shots and it performed well. spin is not an issue with these clubs, much more than the ztp's they replaced.

havent hit the jaws so cant comment on them

The mizzies and jaws are spin machines. Much more than any other wedge IMO. Thats about all I can really say lol.

I thought the Jaws were, but I did not find the Mizuno wedges to have all that much spin. What else have you hit to compare them to? Very curious because compared to the Clevelands, TM, Vokeys, Nikes and a few others, I thought they came up just a tad short in the spin area due to their leading edge and weighting (again just my opinion).

Take a look at the demo day threads from the last outing. Tons of feedback in there from all the brands.

JB, I have 54 and 60 Vokey's in my bag now and love them. I have hit the Mizuno wedge and liked it for full shots, but in my opinion it just didn't have the same feel to me around the greens and for short chips.

JB, I have 54 and 60 Vokey's in my bag now and love them. I have hit the Mizuno wedge and liked it for full shots, but in my opinion it just didn't have the same feel to me around the greens and for short chips.

I'm playing the MPT-10's right now and while I like them, they are not spin machines.

I would love to get these outside and test them out, but I don't think any course or golf shop in the area has these wedges to demo. I don't want a wedge that will chew up golf balls because to be honest I won't have the money to buy a lot of golf balls.

I really want to try the Mizzies outside, but maybe I should stick with the Vokeys or the CG16s

Not sure about the Callaways, but I can tell you from personal experience that the Mizunos are as good as any Vokey or Cleveland.

I would hazard a guess that any wedge that is manufactured in 2011 will not chew up balls like wedges made in 2010 on back. If I were you I would buy a single wedge, say 54 or 56 degrees and see how it works out. If you make a $300 commitment to Mizuno/Cleveland/Titleist wedge set and it fails, well you are SOL. I think too much emphasis is put on precise gapping on the short end. Give me a 50 and a 56 and there is not much I can't do.

I'd offer two things.

First, I adamantly agree with the other posters suggesting you not mix and match wedges and have the same throughout. They are definitely different.
Second, I'm a little surprised to see you like both the CG's and the Vokey's. Most seem to love one and loathe the other as they are quite different.

As for suggestions, i switched from Cleveland to Vokey's about 5 years ago and not long after most all of my friends followed suit. I've been very happy with them and therefore haven't flirted with much else outside of a CG14 I bought as much to test the shaft (KBS Tour) as the wedge. I loved it on full shots but hated the rounded leading edge on everything else as I had become so acclimated to the Vokey's look and interaction.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that with the soft metals and forging process that Mizzy uses, the MP wedge grooves will wear down a bit quicker. That's especially so if you're gonna hit it out of the sand a bit. I can't speak from experience on this. However, many of my buddies and others that I have played beside love the forged wedges but do complain about having to replace them often.

Back