Future of Product Testing on THP

Why is it so funny? I'm not just talking about my show.

I thought it was a pretty ****** comment. This thread blows!

JB, I hope you got what you wanted out of this thread. It's been a real eye opener for me.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

It was just a joke of a comment. I hope it didn't offend you. I really like your show.

I do think people need to hit up the front page a bit. That page is what brought me to the fourm.

Guess I missed that one. I also guess I'm on edge here. Like I said, this thread sucks and I'm ready to get back to talking about golf.

Guess I missed that one. I also guess I'm on edge here. Like I said, this thread sucks and I'm ready to get back to talking about golf.

I had no idea about the torcher comment either and I was actually wondering what the hell "torcher" was lol. Me too big fella, me too.

Lets try and get the thread back to what was it's intention. I know that I haven't answered the questions posed

Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing?
I value what the staffers have to say honestly. I know they have been picked because they are good testers. I give what they say pretty substantial weight

Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible?
I don't like this idea really. Creates cliques IMO which does not promote a family type atmosphere which is what I really love about this place

Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests?
Honestly I think this would be the worst idea. It would be like burning the house down because the toilet is leaking. Forum testing is IMO the best tool that THP uses. Maybe I'm biased because I was lucky enough to be chosen but I would love for others to get the feeling I get now. When I post my thoughts on the Di11's I feel like I am giving back. I love that feeling. I have been on a ton of various forums. This is the first forum that I feel like I can contribute something valuable and I would hate to have that taken away. Forum testing is IMO incredible valuable and I bet that if you asked the OEM's opinion they wouldn't want it taken away either. Just use the Burner 2.0 thread that is still kicking it strong. TM has to love that.

The Di11 thread you and the other testers are doing isn't to shabby either Buck , All of theTHP testers are really doing a great job and i enjoy reading there write ups thanks for all you do

My Wife doesn't know about any of this. Look at her, sitting over there. Completely oblivious. Probably browsing her little coupon websites. Find me some golf coupons woman.

Kevin

Its actually a very good idea, but there are forums that get much more traffic and that is why reviews are often placed where they are.

My post from earlier today may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I really think there is a need to get all the testing and review threads into a section all its own for easier use. Thoughts anyone?

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Holy mackerel, I don't look at THP for a day and a post like this goes up and has 47 pages (as of this writing) up already. Wow. With this sort of response I would say something is working right with this site and the way things are handled. I tried to catch up on the whole thread but I only have an hour left of work and there is no way I would get through it all before leave. That being said, I found this site while looking for reviews for a hybrid and since then I have been educated on all things related to golf equipment. As well as course reviews, Beer selections and other libations. I was even able to buy a driver and a cool little ball mark repair tool via the THP. Clearly this site is not just about getting some forum members to review golf equipment amongst all the other offerings here, but it inversely seems to get all the attention.

My only suggestion (and if it has already been voiced I apologize. see excuse on previous paragraph). Maybe institute a graduated review scale that would incorporate site usage. IE. A user has x amount of post in a certain time frame and they would qualify to review x products in a certain retail price range (1dzn balls). Do a good job there and increase your postings and get bumped up to the next level and then you would be eligible for the next retail price range (sand wedge) for review, So on so forth. Until you get to review the THP Ferrari. Keeps people who want to move-up writing good reviews and gives incentive for attendance so to speak. This also allows for members to learn a reviewer and if they value their assessments.

Anyway it’s just a thought. Now I got to work on a review for some golf balls.

Read a few more pages- don't have the time to read all 48, but here's a few random thoughts based on what I've read...

- A lot of good ideas and thoughts in this thread. Left as much rep as I could but apparently there's a cap on how much you can leave in 24 hours. If you had a good thought and I didn't leave you rep, don't take it personally- I maxed out.

- Blows my mind that people would get upset about not getting picked. Hell, as a lefty, the game of golf has looked me over almost completely but I can't get upset about it.

- When I joined, I was member #1419. Newer members' numbers are in the 4500's. Simply stated- in the 15 months I've been here, membership has tripled. Hopefully some of these current issues are just 'growing pains' and in the long run, the quality members stick around and the ones THP can do without get stuck in the "Sand Trap" (both on the course and on the web).

- Obviously more restrictive testing criteria is needed. Some of the ideas I like include":
- "Ask not what THP can do for you- ask what you can do for THP". Short 50-word essay explaining why you feel you should be selected.
- Require the more expensive items be returned and donated to charity after testing is complete. Or, if you want to keep it, have the option to 'buy' it at a reduced cost in the form of a cash donation to same charity.
- Paying for shipping is the least anyone can do- maybe even require a deposit on the item if it needs to be returned.

I could go on, but there still 20+ more pages to read and I'm sure I've repeated things already said.

Just throwing the information out there for the readers. I do think you would be hard pressed to find a better carrier for international shipment than USPS. I prefer UPS when shipping domestically but USPS is the way to go when shipping internationally.

I agree. Unfortunately many of the companies do not like to use them for their lack of tracking accuracy.

I appreciated your suggestion LPM thank you. But like JB said the tracking system for USPS is terrible and that is something that I do not like about their service. Also, if shipping to a business it is far less expensive to ship it UPS and that could save people a lot of money. It can also be less expensive to ship UPS for extremely heavy boxes. As I said there are a lot of factors that go into shipping and I try my best to find the best prices with the quickest shipping.

My post from earlier today may have gotten lost in the shuffle. I really think there is a need to get all the testing and review threads into a section all its own for easier use. Thoughts anyone?

Sometimes companies would like to see a testing thread where they are supplying thousands of dollars in equipment in an area that is most heavily viewed. A perfect example of this is our PGA Show Coverage. The views on that are simply no where near as high as other sections because they are a subsection. The forum testing is not just for forum members to view. It is for readers and people that find those reviews via search engines.

JB, I hope you got what you wanted out of this thread. It's been a real eye opener for me.

It has been very much for us as well.

Its actually a very good idea, but there are forums that get much more traffic and that is why reviews are often placed where they are.

Tapatalk keeps me sane.

Exactly.

I've avoided replying here with purpose. I don't think anything needs to change OTHER than I think testers should pay for shipping for sure, its a simple think that could help THP out a TON.

As far as complaints, I don't get it...but...there's lots of things in the world I don't seem to get I guess. I've had the pleasure of testing B330-RX's and an Aldila shaft and that was more than I'd ever really dreamed, and too cool to be picked for each. That said, I love supporting and reading the other reviewers and their posts, I personally get enough out of that.

Not trying to throw out a "cliche" or what some would think is a "suck-up" response like some might think it is, just how I feel about it. Just didnt think it would be right to not give any feedback in the thread at all.

The handling fee is an interesting concept and it's not something I think we will do, however, I am currently trying to price out the THP Putter Covers that we are putting up for pre-order tonight and I had to think long and hard about shipping rates because time and labor really do play a huge factor. I would love to charge our Canadian and other international members less for shipping but the sheer amount of time it takes me to have to go to the post office or UPS/FedEx stores to have their good delivered forced me to charge a bit more for their shipping. The post office is almost 20 minutes from my office which means at least an hour of my day is gone just in travel and delivery time alone. For that I have to charge a bit more because that is a big part of my day and if I have to do that everyday or even 3 or 4 times a week that's still a lot of time away from the office but at the same time I want to be able to offer these items to everyone no matter their geographical location.

This is why if (and more like when at this point) we start charging testers to pay for their own shipping I will have to charge more to the international participants. It really does suck and I absolutely hate to have to do that but it has to be done that way.

GolferGal the international testers will also have to be aware if clubs/gear are sent to them and they are valued over a certain amount they will be expected to pay a tax/tariff also even if its marked as a gift. They would have to pay this before they will be able to get the club. Trying to go cheaper shipping route like USPS first-class mind help on pocketbook but its taking almost 3 weeks for stuff even to get to Toronto. There are few quicker routes but its close to $25-30 to ship a club to Canada now. Like others have said USPS is cheapest route going international but horrible when it comes to trying to track it. There is also the customs form that is one more extra piece of paperwork to fill out. It's not as simple as some people think it is.

I am posting again without reading the entire thread. I am helping my kids with some school projects tonight. I will go back and read the other posts after I get them to bed.
My thoughts summarized, some ideas taken from other members here.
1. I have no problem with testers paying for shipping.
2. I have no problem with the criteria that JB and GG decide to use to chose testers. I trust that they will take their knowledge and our feedback and combine it in a way that will be positive for (almost) everyone. I say *almost* since some people will complain no matter what decision is made.
3. I do not have a good feeling about a VIP program. I am fearful that the VIP thing would become cliquey.
4. I like the idea of more official forum testers to write reviews, but I also do not want to get rid of "regular" testers.
5. I want to say "thank you" to JB for starting this thread and letting everyone give their opinions.
6. I also like the "pay it forward" or "give it back" idea of clubs that are used in testing. I did not know I even had the option of keeping the club I was testing until I already signed up for it. I assumed that I would be required to send it back.

I've tried to read as many posts of this thread as I can. But, 700+ posts is too many to go thru. I may repeat things already said, but so be it. Personally, I haven't "applied" for very many testing options, for several reasons: 1)time, 2)item not something I like, so I already have a built in bias, and 3)I like what's in my bag and I want to remain "dialed in" with the equipment in my bag, because I believe that, when you are trying other equipment, you will subconsciously change your swing to work better with the clubs or balls being tested. And, I don't want to have to go back and get "re-dialed in".

My thoughts and opinions are below.
1. I like that everyone has the opportunity to test. But, it's not like it's a random draw. If I recall correctly, most testing requests ask that each member submit somes specs as well as stating why they should get to test. It's not like you can just say, "I like golf. Pick me.".

2. I also think tenure/activity should also be taken into account. I like a previous post that mentioned a sort of graduated level of testing, relating "t/a" (ya baby) to the value of what was being tested.

3. Anyone who complains about not getting selected should get "flagged"

Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing? I don't like this if it effects the THP bottom line. By that I don't know if by "staff" you mean paid employees. Plus, if you did that, your staff would have to be spread out among all handicap ranges to get balanced reviews. I'm a 5 hdcp, and I probably won't put much credence to a review from a handicap in the double-digits, no offence intended, but I want reviews from someone with a similar game and club distances.
Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible? Another forum started this and I'm on the fence. On one side it would be nice to know as a VIP, I would get a better chance at better stuff. But, I don't like the "elitist" tag that could come with it. I wouldn't want someone with the same tenure/activity rating to not get a shot as something because their financial situation doesn't allow for that luxury. However, this is a capitalists society, and their will always be haves and have nots

Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests? I like the forum testing. To me it is sort of a contest with no downside. If I'm chosen, I would feel like a winner. If I'm not chosen, I know I'll get to read unbiased reviews.

One final note, JB/GG do an absolutely wonderful job with this site. The probably isn't a golf site on the web that is run more professionally. Anyone that gets outta line is quickly reminded of proper etiquette. And the majority of members act properly. Having forum members test equipment is not something they have to do. It's a privilege that is provided to the members of this forum. Getting the OEM's to hand over equipment to strangers is no easy task. JB/GG have worked their tails off to build lasting relationships with most, if not all manufacturers, and should be commended for that. The OEM's have plenty of employees available that can hit all of this pre-release stuff, without needing to involve "outsiders", YET, they trust THP enough to say, "Take this and tell us what you think". That's almost mind-boggling to me.

Sometimes companies would like to see a testing thread where they are supplying thousands of dollars in equipment in an area that is most heavily viewed. A perfect example of this is our PGA Show Coverage. The views on that are simply no where near as high as other sections because they are a subsection. The forum testing is not just for forum members to view. It is for readers and people that find those reviews via search engines.

Ok. I see your point. Thanks for the reply.

To TC, Hawk,Thainer or anyone else that I may have offended with my previous post.

I DIDN'T know about donating to THP. I HAVE bought things from the THP store. I am not in any way complaining that I haven't been chosen to test yet. I have ABSOLUTELY NO complaints about how testers are chosen. I have ALWAYS posted nothing but great things about THP. I have thoroughly enjoyed the reviews here. I have sung the praises about THP to many fellow golfers in my circles.

I just thought that TC's post was dismissive of anyone who hasn't donated to THP. I still think so.

GolferGal the international testers will also have to be aware if clubs/gear are sent to them and they are valued over a certain amount they will be expected to pay a tax/tariff also even if its marked as a gift. They would have to pay this before they will be able to get the club. Trying to go cheaper shipping route like USPS first-class mind help on pocketbook but its taking almost 3 weeks for stuff even to get to Toronto. There are few quicker routes but its close to $25-30 to ship a club to Canada now. Like others have said USPS is cheapest route going international but horrible when it comes to trying to track it. There is also the customs form that is one more extra piece of paperwork to fill out. It's not as simple as some people think it is.

I know all about that. I have shipped many things to Canada and I am a well aware of the shipping costs. I am willing to do it as long as international testers are willing to pay the high shipping fees.

I know all about that. I have shipped many things to Canada and I am a well aware of the shipping costs. I am willing to do it as long as international testers are willing to pay the high shipping fees.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the Northern THP bretheren I would like to again say thank you for including us GolferGal/JB. I know it's a giant pain for yourselves and the companies that donate their product and we appriciate it very much!

I want to thank everybody for their thoughts and feelings on this subject over the last few days.

So much already said, so I'll keep my input brief.

I would prefer that members who do testing be selected based on minimum activity, as opposed to who is most active. Some people seem to post more than golf. I think a person who has good QUALITY posts as opposed to a heavy VOLUME of posts should be equally, if not more rewarded. I also think that activity should have caps on how much and how quick it is accrued so we don't have the same problems that were had for other contests where people were posting 1 sentence to get posts.

Do we just add more people to our staff and send to them only for testing? I would prefer the testing be done by forum members.
Do we start a VIP program and only members of that program are eligible? I would be fine with a VIP program.
Do we just scrap it completely and not do forum testing anymore and just do contests? I have to admit that I MUCH prefer the contests to the member reviews simply for being more concise. I get very little value out of the current forum member tests because they become so banal so quick. The first 30-40 posts are all members saying something to the effect of:

-can't wait to hear the results
-I am so jealous
-I am interested to hear about these.
-What are the specs (can be gotten off the OEM website faster than typing it to ask the tester)
-glad you like them
-etc.

When a thread gets past 5 pages and a single sentence of review has yet to be posted, I find it hard to find good info.

Overall I think the testing program is a unique and compelling piece of THP. I think member's testing and keeping equipment is a great thing and should be carried on.

So much already said, so I'll keep my input brief.

I would prefer that members who do testing be selected based on minimum activity, as opposed to who is most active. Some people seem to post more than golf. I think a person who has good QUALITY posts as opposed to a heavy VOLUME of posts should be equally, if not more rewarded. I also think that activity should have caps on how much and how quick it is accrued so we don't have the same problems that were had for other contests where people were posting 1 sentence to get posts.

So you believe a person that is on the forum a lot but does not post much at all should be "rewarded" for being a tester? How is one (the company or THP) able to know if they can handle answering questions when asked in the thread? Serious questions, because I am a little surprised to hear this. Should active members that continue to talk golf not be rewarded at all with keeping the forum active and busy? How do you believe we should choose testers? Solely off of low post count as long as their posts are informative?

I agree with many posts on here that the testing threads are less effective with too much 'brief commentary'. What if we (THP) creates a testing thread for each items being tested where ONLY the testers have access to post. Then, create a commentary thread for the same item testing, so others can add comments, ask questions, etc?

That is mostly correct. I believe that you can get a feel for a person's ability to write a review and answer questions well based on what they post. I suggest a mix of quality of posts and quantity. Anyone could definitely get to 100 posts a day if they are willing to continue to "dilute" the site with 1 word or 1 sentence posts. But that is volume for volume sake and will hurt the forums over time. I say reward both the quality of the posts and the volume of the posts. I suggest pulling their last 100 posts and see if they are a CONTRIBUTOR or a POSTER. I think those are 2 different things.

Let me try to offer an example for clarity. A person posts that posts they just bought a G15 driver for a good deal but want to find a new shaft for it. They've used XXX shaft in the past and liked it and would like other suggestions to try.

POSTER-get fitted
CONTRIBUTOR- I'd suggest trying the XXX and XXX during your fitting. I suggest XXX because it______. I suggest XXX due to _____.

Both get credit for 1 post, only 1 of them contributed. It takes time and effort to be a contributor. It only takes time to be a poster.

I hope this helps explain my suggestion better. If not, let me know and I can try to better explain it.

Also, I wanted to say when I said I prefer contests over member reviews I actually meant shoot-outs. I didn't think of contests as in giveaways, I was thinking contests as in putter contest to see which is the most popular.

I agree with many posts on here that the testing threads are less effective with too much 'brief commentary'. What if we (THP) creates a testing thread where ONLY the testers have access to post. Then, create a commentary thread on the same testing, so others can add comments, ask questions, etc?

Because the companies supplying the goods like good commentary. They also like to see when testers get to answer questions. Its a fine line, but something that is needed. Testers also need feedback from forum members to determine how their testing is going and to have to go back and forth between two threads is not a scenario that works for either side.

Back