Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I just saw a pop-up advert featuring a Golf Digest cover page entitled "Fearless Golf". A book has been out for a while called Fearless Golf. This all presupposes the notion that there is something called fearful golf.

Do you play fearful golf? Are you as nervous as a 16 year old in a Cat House when you play? If so, what do you do to counteract the fear?

When I get nervous I breathe, trust my swing to the best of my ability, and tell myself it's only a golf shot.

What do you all do...assuming you get nervous?

Routine, routine, routine. This is a great way to minimize nervousness.

To make it effective you must do EXACTLY the same things EVERY time. At some point in your preparation, as you start to set up to your shot, follow the same steps, using the same amount of time, every time. Same number of practice swings, steps up to the ball, looks at the target, waggles, etc.

It's like autopilot for the golf swing. Once you have decided on the shot, stop thinking and react. If you have doubts, start over.

To make it effective you must do EXACTLY the same things EVERY time. At some point in your preparation, as you start to set up to your shot, follow the same steps, using the same amount of time, every time. Same number of practice swings, steps up to the ball, looks at the target, waggles, etc.

It's like autopilot for the golf swing. Once you have decided on the shot, stop thinking and react. If you have doubts, start over.
Good point. I have one and count on it. The one for my putting took a full day to develop until I felt comfortable with it. However, thoughts still have a tendency to intrude into our heads. You know, those little gremlins of doubt that like to wreak havoc on us?

Pretty much what I do. I have the same thoughts and play the same whether it is with the wife on Sunday evening, Saturday skins or the club championship. I don't do anything differently.

Well, I typically have some courage juice, aka, an adult beverage. When you drink enough courage juice, you will definitely hit shots that you were 'too afraid' to hit before.

Or, since I'm not drinking the majority of the time I play golf, it is all about routine. I will also say that sometimes when I'm a little nervous about any given shot, I'll step back, get behind the ball, close my eyes for a few seconds and just empty my head. Then I open them and the first thing pouring back into my head is the fairway out in front of me, and I can see my ball flight. Then I step up and hit the ball.

I keep it simple and relatively quick. I'll take a few practices swings with purpose to get the feeling I'm looking for and then step up and play the shot.

I don't ever play fearful golf. I'm just the opposite, actually. I never get nervous over a shot. I don't know why, maybe because it is just golf and nothing is on the line. I'm sure if I played in a big amateur tournament or something I would get nervous, but I don't plan to do that any time soon.

I don't ever play fearful golf. I'm just the opposite, actually. I never get nervous over a shot. I don't know why, maybe because it is just golf and nothing is on the line. I'm sure if I played in a big amateur tournament or something I would get nervous, but I don't plan to do that any time soon.

Me too. If I'm just playing with buddies why get nervous? We don't play for money that's for sure. Ultimately if i'm within 275 yards of reaching a par 5 I'm going for it even if its driver off the deck and there's water in front. What do I have to lose besides a ball?

But I could understand if I'm playing in a meaningful tournament or something similar, yeah I could see how that might creep into my head.

Just try to be confident with your swing and your overall nervousness will cut down. That's what I do, I myself that my swing is just fine and I can hit any shot I want to. That makes me feel a lot less nervous when golfing, especially in tournaments.

Build a 8 shot lead with 3 to go and there are no nervous shots.

Hello, my name is fossil123 and I am a nervous golfer (group responds, "Hello fossil123).

Normally it takes about 1-2 holes before my nerves settle down each and every time I play and even after that, I still get nervous with shots over or around water. I guess it boils down to my desire to play well (relatively speaking) and the thought that "this one shot" could lead to a downward spiral that destroys my score. I haven't found that confidence in my play yet.

Oh, and if my group gets paired with a stranger, forget about it. It takes the first 9 holes for me to settle down. lol.

It is definitely something I need to work on and I am getting better but there is still a long way to go.

Bump id like to hear some more hints for this because the nerves do sometimes creep up on me to from time to time most of the time it is on the way to and on the 1 tee the wiff,the slice, the just don't look like a idiot thoughts ???

Bump id like to hear some more hints for this because the nerves do sometimes creep up on me to from time to time most of the time it is on the way to and on the 1 tee the wiff,the slice, the just don't look like a idiot thoughts ???
On the way to the first tee, you have time. Shut down the negative thoughts. Say to yourself "ok, first tee, I'm going to be a little nervous, a little cold, so I am going to have a realistic goal. Slow, relaxed swing - aiming to go straight down the middle, 20 yards short of my normal shot". At our handicap, great scores are not made or broken with one tee shot. We have 3 to get to the green, so chances are 3 short irons would do it! Problems for me start when I go make or break from the tee. Yes, I can smack a drive 250 down the middle. Yes I can whiff it to the ladies tee. However, if I try to hit it 180 with the driver, my chances are better.
Throughout the round, I keep telling myself that I will on occasion hit poor shots. When I do, I need to laugh, shake my head and walk to the next shot. I don't make my living at this game, I am out here to enjoy myself!

99-
Are we talking normal play that the nerves set in? Or some type of competition?
I get butterflies when I am invested in an event and take that as a sign that I ready. My focus is the first shot off the tee. I draw it up in my head and swing. The nerves are still there, they don't go away but I channelled that energy into a single shot. Once the first shot is away, it's game time and start grinding.
The grind takes away any negatives thy could creep in.

Normal play most times when golfing a new course or new partners. Things usually settle down after the first few holes just interested to hear what others do get rid of the evil mind demons...

i never play with fear. i always go for it kinda like tin cup lol. sometimes its good sometimes its bad to tho.

I get nervous on the tee box, which is ridiculous because I used to play hockey in front of 1000's and never got nervous....but I really do, afraid to shank one terribly, and ofcourse it ultimately happens more often than it should because it usually enters my head on the downswing.. I've found the only sure fire fix is alcohol lol, which explains why im usually better on the back nine. But going to really work on it this season (and if all else fails, just start drinking earlier)
Sent from my Lumia 810 using Board Express

I don't really get nervous but I do have a problem with fidgeting once I am over the ball. I have been working on getting a routine set which has helped quite a bit.

Back