Setting a goal, or maybe a challenge for myself

Good luck Ron! Which course/pro did you end up choosing? Hopefully I'll be playing with you at your first even par round!

I found a pro at Indian Peaks who seems to be a good guy. Yesterday was about analyzing my swing. At the end of the lesson he gave me some homework to do. Staying more upright in my swing and moving the ball forward in my stance and finally working on loosening my grip a bit.

He has a really interesting technique for the grip thing. He has a small bucket full of fast food condiment packs, mustard, ketchup, taco sauce etc. He places one of the packets in your leading hand palm, if you squeeze down too tight the packet pops. I learned rather fast to keep my grip looser.

Interesting and messy technique, but I can see it changing something in a hurry!

Interesting and messy technique, but I can see it changing something in a hurry!

Yeah the mess really makes you pay attention, and you can really feel the liquid in the packet moving under your hand when you start gripping too tight

I was sitting around with a friend last night, having a few scotches and talking. The conversation came around to me turning 53 in a couple of weeks and then that movie The Bucket List.

I've mentioned before, that I came to playing golf late in life, having just started last summer, I'm shooting in the high 90's-low 100's consistently now, and have decided that instead of going the "Bucket List" route of dreaming about what I want to do, I am going to actively start pursuing a goal of becoming a Scratch Golfer by the time I turn 55 in 2 years.

Should be an interesting journey and provide at least mild amuzment for everyone to watch me pulling my last three hairs out in pursuit of this goal

Great goal Ron. I started golfing 4 years ago at the age of 48 and fell in love with the game shortly thereafter. I'm down to a 12 handicap now. My goal is to be a 5 handicap or less by the age of 55 so I can play in the Kentucky Senior Open. My lowest tournament score posted last year was a 76 so I know I can do it.

Good luck with your game!

He has a really interesting technique for the grip thing. He has a small bucket full of fast food condiment packs, mustard, ketchup, taco sauce etc. He places one of the packets in your leading hand palm, if you squeeze down too tight the packet pops. I learned rather fast to keep my grip looser.

I was at the range last night, and I finally started loosening my grip. It really helped with my wrist action. Glad I didn't have any packets of ketchup to deal with, I'd have popped them all.

I was at the range last night, and I finally started loosening my grip. It really helped with my wrist action. Glad I didn't have any packets of ketchup to deal with, I'd have popped them all.

I think I popped about 8-10 before I got the hang of keeping my grip looser, glad I had an old glove in my bag

Back