Could I really play an X flex diver shaft?

I switched from stiff to X-stiff. I found my Adams at golf international for a great price. As I was checking out I noticed it was X-stiff. I went with it anyway and glad I did. I have been hitting my driver straighter then ever before. I like the feel of it better then the stiff one I had. My swing speeds are very close to yours as well so I say go with it.

That's exactly what it was. Is there some sort of thing in the spec writeup about a shaft where you can tell if the weight is spread out or balanced?

The shafts themselves are going to have the weight balanced all over. What changes the balance point will be the weight of the grip, the weight of the club head and whether extra weight is added by the builder and where they do.

So if you have average weighted heads with a standard weighted shaft but put a light grip on (39 grams), it shifts the weight point down. Add a bit of filler in the end of the shaft and just in front of the head will be the balanced point instead. People hot melting their drivers are doing the same thing, moving more weight to the head to change the balance point, among other things (generally changes the sound of the driver head as well).

The shafts themselves are going to have the weight balanced all over. What changes the balance point will be the weight of the grip, the weight of the club head and whether extra weight is added by the builder and where they do.

So if you have average weighted heads with a standard weighted shaft but put a light grip on (39 grams), it shifts the weight point down. Add a bit of filler in the end of the shaft and just in front of the head will be the balanced point instead. People hot melting their drivers are doing the same thing, moving more weight to the head to change the balance point, among other things (generally changes the sound of the driver head as well).

Thanks for the input Tuna. I couldn't imagine getting that deep into customization of my clubs. Just too much for me to grasp :D

I think shaft profile plays a greater role than flex. What do you want out of your ball flight? Is it too high? Too low? Too wild? Too spinny? You'd be doing yourself a disservice only buying based off flex. A shaft can be X and feel loose based on where the shaft is flexing. You'd probably only feel this under load and not during setup. Can you give us some more info on what you want out of your ball flight?

It's always been my opinion that it is just as much (or more) about the quality of your swing, than your swing speed. The stiffer you go, the more precise you swing needs to be. A good many pros use x-stiff shafts, but if you really watch, they don't swing all that hard, especially with irons.

Another thing to consider is how hard you swing the majority of the time when you are playing. I'm sure almost everyone can swing out of their shoes every once in a while and that one or two swings might benefit from an x-stiff, but when you get back to normal, will it end up hurting? Keep that in mind when you demo. It is easy to get that extra little bit out of a swing, but will you want to do it all the time?

I think shaft profile plays a greater role than flex. What do you want out of your ball flight? Is it too high? Too low? Too wild? Too spinny? You'd be doing yourself a disservice only buying based off flex. A shaft can be X and feel loose based on where the shaft is flexing. You'd probably only feel this under load and not during setup. Can you give us some more info on what you want out of your ball flight?

I get what you are saying Griff. The three things I would love to change with my driver is lower my ball flight, lower my back spin and tighten up my dispersion.

Yes, I just recently went to an X-Stiff in all of my clubs. The extra stiffness increased my distance and accuracy on my drives and my ball striking with my irons is a lot better now. I'm a huge fan of the extra stiffs and as long as I'm swinging hard that's definitely what I'll be playing.

It's always been my opinion that it is just as much (or more) about the quality of your swing, than your swing speed. The stiffer you go, the more precise you swing needs to be. A good many pros use x-stiff shafts, but if you really watch, they don't swing all that hard, especially with irons.

Another thing to consider is how hard you swing the majority of the time when you are playing. I'm sure almost everyone can swing out of their shoes every once in a while and that one or two swings might benefit from an x-stiff, but when you get back to normal, will it end up hurting? Keep that in mind when you demo. It is easy to get that extra little bit out of a swing, but will you want to do it all the time?

First let me say that I am huge Cards fan too STL. I am originally from central Illinois. 3rd generation cards fan.

Now back to the task at hand. My tendency with the driver is to really go after it. I only make a slower tempo swing when I consciously decide to. So I don't think that would be an issue for me.

I get what you are saying Griff. The three things I would love to change with my driver is lower my ball flight, lower my back spin and tighten up my dispersion.

are you looking to purchase a new driver or just a new shaft? From what I have read here it seems like the SuperTri is a very spinny driver head and a shaft will only go so far to cut down the spin. A heavier shaft with a stiffer tip will bring both the ball flight and the spin down some, might even be a heavier stiff shaft with a different flex profile that works for you.

Try and find some demo days around you and try a bunch of different shafts on a launch monitor.

are you looking to purchase a new driver or just a new shaft? From what I have read here it seems like the SuperTri is a very spinny driver head and a shaft will only go so far to cut down the spin. A heavier shaft with a stiffer tip will bring both the ball flight and the spin down some, might even be a heavier stiff shaft with a different flex profile that works for you.

Try and find some demo days around you and try a bunch of different shafts on a launch monitor.

Ideally I would like to just get a new shaft as I would have less out of pocket expense but I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new driver.

The next stage of this voyage would be what shaft? I have had success with UST's products. I had a V2 in my previous driver and liked it and I love the V2's that I have in my 2 hybrids. When I did the chat with a UST rep online they recommended the Axivcore tour green 65 X or the Attas T2 6X. Has anyone ever tried either of these shafts?

The next stage of this voyage would be what shaft? I have had success with UST's products. I had a V2 in my previous driver and liked it and I love the V2's that I have in my 2 hybrids. When I did the chat with a UST rep online they recommended the Axivcore tour green 65 X or the Attas T2 6X. Has anyone ever tried either of these shafts?

You really need to try the Miyazaki Kusala Black series. You sound like you have the same needs out of a shaft that i do (lower launch, a bit stiffer than normal).

You really need to try the Miyazaki Kusala Black series. You sound like you have the same needs out of a shaft that i do (lower launch, a bit stiffer than normal).

I would love to if I could find some place around here to try one. I have looked online and I have been unsuccessful. I don't mind taking a chance on a $100 - $ 150 shaft that I haven't hit but buying a Miyazaki without hitting it is a tough pill to swallow.

I would love to if I could find some place around here to try one. I have looked online and I have been unsuccessful. I don't mind taking a chance on a $100 - $ 150 shaft that I haven't hit but buying a Miyazaki without hitting it is a tough pill to swallow.

I would be more than happy to send you mine if you want to try it out. It's already tipped and ready to go in to the Supertri! All I would ask is that you pay for the shipping.

I would be more than happy to send you mine if you want to try it out. It's already tipped and ready to go in to the Supertri! All I would ask is that you pay for the shipping.

That would be incredible TC. I would have no problem footing the bill to ship it. What flex and weight is the shaft?

That would be incredible TC. I would have no problem footing the bill to ship it. What flex and weight is the shaft?

72g, stiff, international flex code 3566. It's very stout and lowered my flight considerably.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Very nice TC. This is what makes THP so great.

72g, stiff, international flex code 3566. It's very stout and lowered my flight considerably.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Awesome. Just sent you a PM.

Big ups to TC for being so gracious to send me his Miyazaki shaft for a trial period. I will post back in this thread to let you guys know what kind of performance I get out of it. Very exciting.

Now I have a question. So I was fitted for the X-Stiff Diamana 'ahina shaft for my driver. I am also looking to get a FW. Should I be looking to get a FW in X-Stiff or stick with Stiff. At the Kingdom they I picked up the R11 FW and started hitting it and it had the Diamana Kai'li sahft in stiff flex and I was hitting it well. But I never had them put an X-Stiff shaft in it or the hybrids. So should I go with what I hit before and seemed to hit well or do I risk it and go for X-Stiff in the FW. I just don't know that with the smaller heads in the FW and Hybrids if I need X flex. They did fit me for X100 shafts in the irons. Any thoughts?

very nice gesture TC! I think you'll love the Miyazaki JRamz, I'm playing the 83x in my cleveland now. Definitely let us know what you think of it.

Now I have a question. So I was fitted for the X-Stiff Diamana 'ahina shaft for my driver. I am also looking to get a FW. Should I be looking to get a FW in X-Stiff or stick with Stiff. At the Kingdom they I picked up the R11 FW and started hitting it and it had the Diamana Kai'li sahft in stiff flex and I was hitting it well. But I never had them put an X-Stiff shaft in it or the hybrids. So should I go with what I hit before and seemed to hit well or do I risk it and go for X-Stiff in the FW. I just don't know that with the smaller heads in the FW and Hybrids if I need X flex. They did fit me for X100 shafts in the irons. Any thoughts?

Doc it is not uncommon for a person to play more flexible shafts as you move down the bag. Naturally your club head speed will be faster with a driver than a pitching wedge. Try both in the FW though. The X may work out there too.

I would think you should go somewhere and try them all out and see where the numbers are and how they feel. @ Redtail or Fiddlers Green maybe? (didn't you learn from the Kingdom FITTING experience? Jk, lol)

I would think you should go somewhere and try them all out and see where the numbers are and how they feel. @ Redtail or Fiddlers Green maybe? (didn't you learn from the Kingdom FITTING experience? Jk, lol)

I totally agree with you OG! I went to Fiddlers and they didn't have the FW shafts in X flex, golfsmith was the same. Maybe I need to check out Redtail, where is that?

I totally agree with you OG! I went to Fiddlers and they didn't have the FW shafts in X flex, golfsmith was the same. Maybe I need to check out Redtail, where is that?

Redtail is up in Beaverton. They have ~20 Trackman launch monitors and lots of equipment options. The only problem is they get so much traffic that it can feel impersonal. I would call, talk to the manager, and make an appt so they really focus on your needs. They are supposed to be one of the best fitters around.

Back