Daily Job Commute

Golf 'N Gator

Formally HoosierGolfer
Reaction score
Handicap
How far do you travel one way for work each day? How long does it take you to make the trip?

In my position with the Department of Transportation, I'm assigned to a new road construction project during the summer construction season and often have a pretty good drive to and from the site and home.

For the past three seasons, I have been working on the new construction of a new interstate highway east of Ft. Wayne Indiana. From my home, my field office is 55 miles one way and it takes me 45 minutes under normal driving conditions, longer of course if we have ice or snow.

I've had some farther away in the past and I've even had a couple of assignments that kept me away from home during the workweek.

How about you?

I live less than 2 miles away from the main hospital that I work at. Most day, it's a 10 minute commute on my bike; if I can't ride the bike, it's a 25 minute walk. I occasionally have to work at a satellite hospital that is a 30 minute drive from me.

Mine is 10 miles. Takes me about 20 minutes depending on traffic and lights.

15-20 minutes. I've worked jobs where it's closer to an hour and I don't miss that at all.

12 miles for me takes about 15-20 minutes. Going home usually takes alot longer as I pass two golf courses on the way home :D

About 6 seconds. Get out of bed, walk into office and start working. No complaining about commute here!

My commute is 32 miles , takes 30-45 minutes , that is if I miss all the trains !

25.5 miles. I have the distinct pleasure of having to drive I-76, here in Philadelphia. The ride in usually take 45 minutes to an hour. The ride home, an hour to sometimes an hour and 15 minutes depending on traffic!

I guess I am about 12-15 miles from work. It usually takes about 20 minutes or so depending on traffic at the particular time of day, sometimes a little (or the occasional a lot) longer. I get off the highway at the second busiest intersection and right after turning there are train tracks. Every day there is a train that goes through between 7:30 and 8, and another between 4:30 and 5. That can really back things up if it hits at just the right time.

Up until three months ago I commuted 80 miles round trip. I moved in early January and now my commute is only 8 miles round trip. Very good timing as far as the gas prices are concerned.

30 minutes...opposite traffic. that's with a starbucks drive-by.

i am, however, working on one of the members who goes to canada for the summer. i'm trying to get a housesitting gig for may to september. 8,000 sq. feet on the 5th fairway and a two tier pool should work out well for the commute.

I drive 3.6 miles round trip every day. (I work at the school, it counts)

12 miles and takes me 30-40 mins

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Used to work 1.5 miles away, but just got a new job that is 28 miles away. Interstate traffic would take me 30-45 minutes where I am at so I take the back country roads. Ends up being about 20 - 25 minute drive one way, depending on school buses.

25.5 miles. I have the distinct pleasure of having to drive I-76, here in Philadelphia. The ride in usually take 45 minutes to an hour. The ride home, an hour to sometimes an hour and 15 minutes depending on traffic!

76 is awful!!!!!!!!

It takes me about 20-25 mintues to get to work. I'm about 7-8 miles away.

Ahhhhhhhhh the Skoo-kill. Gotta love it. I'm a 422 guy myself....

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

I have a 3 mile drive to work everyday. I can't even drink a whole cup of coffee. I used to ride my bike before I had pick my son up everyday.

Here in center city Philly I have a 10 minute walk to my office.

About 6 seconds. Get out of bed, walk into office and start working. No complaining about commute here!

There is something not right about that!....LOL Your situation is great. I average 2.5 hours a day (12.5 hours a week) commuting and don't get paid of course for it, but it is just part of my job. I could very well get a assignment close to home, so mine varies from year to year.
My home office is 45 miles and takes around 40 minutes to and from when I go there for the winter months most years. That would be about my limit for travel if that was my permanent work location. Anything further on a permanent basis and I would consider moving.
I'm just curious how far people travel day to day. Great replies so far.

As a retiree the answer is zero miles and zero minutes, for the almost 32 years before that it was 7.5 miles and took 11 minutes.

Our office is 10.5 miles from our house and it takes about 20-25 minutes with traffic and lights.

About 12 kms (about 7.5 miles) and it takes me 15-20 minutes depending on traffic.

19 miles. Takes 20-25 minutes with 2 school zones I have to pass through.

I got about 8 miles I suppose, 1 road basically the entire way. Takes about 15 minutes.

Less than 5 miles to the Monkey Disco from our cabin. Easy commute.

Back