Played in a 6-some yesterday...

PiratePenguin

2024 Goat Cup Team Brennan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Had something new (for me) happen yesterday:

I teed off in a threesome and we played the first few holes only to arrive on the 4th tee to find a group of five all together. Most were not very good. They ignored us out of hand and never once offered to let us play through. This continued the rest of the front nine. At the turn I asked the starter and he just said, "Sorry." No attempt to break them up or speed up play at all. While we waited to tee off on 10 a twosome drove up that had been behind us and we told them about the group of 5 ahead of us hacking their way up the par 5 and so we all joined together to make a 5 some of our own. If we were going to wait we may as well all wait together.

A few holes later a single came up behind us and when he found out about what was up ahead decided to join us, too.

So the rest of the round we played as a 6-some, behind a slow moving 5-some. In a way it was pretty fun to play in a large group like that, though it certainly had its disadvantages. Even with 6 of us we were still waiting on the 5 up ahead the entire rest of the round. That part was a bit rediculous.

Not sure I'd want to do it again, but I got to meet three extra guys who were nice and one of whom I might meet up with to play in the future, so some good maybe came out of the craziness.

Ever played in a big group? Do it again? Other rediculous slow play stories?

the employee league I play in announced a scramble tournament for next month. Originally it was gonna be teams of 4 but cheating doubts began to rise. They settled on a 6 some with 2 groups of 3 in each. #sigh* I love scrambles (not all the time) because you chat and talk with your group a little more and it's just plain fun playing for a team. But a 6 some playing in a scramble format...... that's gonna take some time.

A texas shootout is fun

10 people tee off on 1, one person gets eliminated every hole. 1v1 on the 9th.

I've played in a group of 6 before. Went off in 2 groups of 3 with my buddies and by the 3rd hole we were both stuck behind an incredibly slow 4-some. We ended up playing the rest of the 9 hole round together and had a great time. The banter around the tee boxes and greens was hilarious with all 6 of us knowing each other and out there to have a good time. Thankfully we were all walking and able to keep up with the 4-some ahead of us. I'd definitely do it again as long as the course wasnt too busy and we weren't holding anybody up.

We play a 3 person scramble every year with 2 groups a hole shotgun. It is a L O N G day but all the groups are moving at the same slow pace so you don't feel like you are waiting on anyone ahead of you, just the knuckleheads you're with. Beer Helps :)

We have had tournaments at our club when I officially saw 12 golfers playing on one hole. I have no idea what the format was but our club is smart enough to close the course at that time and let nobody tee of regularly on those kinds of tournament days.

My home course has a 2-man scramble tourney with three teams playing each hole and a 3 man scramble with two teams playing each hole.
We also have a Tuesday night scramble and the top twelve players make the championship flight, playing with three teams of 4, all on the same hole.

A texas shootout is fun

I LOVE THIS IDEA, I would be all over it, talk about pressure if money is involved

A texas shootout is fun

That sounds like the absolute most fun. I'm going to have to look at the clubs around my area to see if any of them do this.

How do you handle ties - what if everyone pars the first hole? Best handicap gets booted?

I played a "Three ball sixsome" at Muirfield. It's three teams of alternate shot. Three go to the tee, three head down the fairway to await the tee shots. ots of fun if you like the pressure of alternate shot.

My club actually lets us play five and sixsomes. But we have to keep up with the group ahead. Its not much fun with six because you really have to hustle. When you hole out you go right to the next tee and tee off while the others are putting out. Not much conversation. We have several groups that do it every week though. Five isn't to bad as long as you have a group that doesn't dawdle.

ties are broken in a texas shoot-out with a chip-off. at least that's the way we've always done it.

our club allows 5 anytime and 6 after 1:30. there are some really great 6-some games. Wolf seems to be the most common 5-some game.

looooove that game.

I played with 5 others once while following 3 very slow foursomes. It was kind of fun, but annoying (we still had to wait a lot). Left on the 14th hole after 4.5 hours.

We played behind a foursome once that had one set of golf clubs. They ran around like jack rabbits grabbing clubs to hit their shots.

I've played in a 19 man shoot-out before. On the first tee, we drew numbers and split up 9 and 10. The one player from either group with the net high score was eliminated on each hole. Any ties were settled by a chip-off determined by a pre-chosen location to chip from on each green. Once we were on the 7th or 8th tee box, we merged the group into a 12 some I believe. It's really slow playing, especially around the green when you have to mark each putt to stay off lines etc. Lots of fun and a good tournament!

It's really slow playing, especially around the green when you have to mark each putt to stay off lines etc. Lots of fun and a good tournament!

That was the biggest challenge - staying off of everyone else's lines. It was like tiptoeing in a mine field to avoid lines and marks.

I played a five-some a few years ago. It was mid-Summer, and we had completed 18 holes already. We had two foursomes, but after 18, three guys said they had to head home, so that left 5 of us who wanted to play 9 more holes.

The course was empty, and we asked the starter if we could play as a fivesome, promising that if we held anyone up, we'd wave them through, or break up into a twosome and threesome. We got the "OK," had a great time, and played fast. We completed the 9 holes in around 2 hours. On the last hole as we were getting ready to tee off, a ranger came up to us and said he had received a complaint from a twosome behind us who called in that a fivesome was in front of them. He chuckled to us as he pointed out the complaining twosome, who were three holes behind us! He said not to worry about them.

A touranment here in the summer we play in an eight-some, 2 teams of four and each keeping an eye on the other team (scramble format). The club I worked at
in Washington we allowed 5 and 6 somes all the time. But if you had more than 4 you had to split up if anyone caught you. Worked well and a 6-some game is more
fun than a 5-some game. It's easier for 3 2-somes to play each other than 1 2-some vs. 1 3-some, does not leave one guy out each hole.

Was playing on couples night and with the leagues at this course always being in some state of chaos do to no organization we ended up with another couple joining us making a sixsome on hole 5 by the 7th we were three holes behind and the sun was setting. I wanted to tie my bag around my neck and jump into the pond over on 9, I'm pretty sure it is too shallow to actually allow me to drown so I finished out in the dark. That was some of the slowest most painful golf I have ever played.

all 6 of the varsity players on my schools team played 18 holes as one group from the ladies tees. that was a fun day.

I played the front 9 in a group of 6 a couple of weeks ago. I got there as a single and was at the tail end of the busy time of the morning. There was a fivesome going out ahead of me, and then me as a single. The group in front was 4 friends from the Men's club and the head pro. On the 2nd hole they invited me to join up since there was nobody behind us. We played as a sixsome through 9, and still had wait occasionally on the foursome ahead of us. Then another friend joined on the back 9 so he and I played off 10 in front of the fivesome and cruised around the back. It must have looked pretty odd to an uninformed observer though, to see 6 players in 4 carts all playing together in one group. :laughing:

Back