TaylorMade Rescue 11 Hybrid Review Thread

Good to hear. Maybe I'm way off with it. When I say high handicap, I should say people who fight swing inconsistencies. I was fighting the toe pokes when I first tried the club. I noticed big drop offs when the ball wasn't close to center on contact. Not like a big boxy max forgiveness hybrids.

Oh, I am that guy. Saturday was a strange day for me as my common miss in the past was a mighty slice. Almost everything went left on Saturday. A few did go right still, but far fewer than what I normally do. I've asked Andy in the Ask the Pro section for some advice. Hopefully he can give me some tips.

Played another 9 holes today. I am so excited for this year...I managed to break 80 for the first time last year. I actually did it twice. I have played 9 holes twice now for a combined score of 82! Thats my first 18 of the year and I'm at 82! Anyway...on to my on-course review of the R11 Rescue:

Today the wind was not as gusty as it was last thursday, and on the back 9 of my course I usually use my hybrid a few times, so I was anxious to get out there and give it a swing. My first shot with my hybrid came on a dogleg par 5 today. I have only been able to go for this green in two once before, and that was a time when the hole was downwind and I had one of the longest drives of my life, and I had to hit 3-wood to barely reach the front of the green. Today with no wind I used my R11 driver to blast it down the middle. I was so excited when I got to my ball and I just knew I could reach it in 2 with the Rescue. I knew with the higher launch that I would be able to clear the trees at the corner of the dogleg, so I decided to go for it. I made perfect contact with the ball and I saw it launch nice and high over the trees and land just right of the green, pin-high. The ball went perfectly straight though, so I must have been aimed slightly right. But the fact that this club has added that much distance for me that I could go for the green in 2 for only the second time in my life amazing. It was not just due to the nice drive either, it was due to the fact that I knew I could carry it over the trees to the green. Usually After my drive I know none of my irons would have the distance to get over the trees, and my 3-wood would not have enough loft to get over, so this club has now allowed me to hit shots that I never could before.

Next on another par 5 on my second shot I knew I could only reach it with my three wood on my second shot, but I wanted to give the Rescue some more playing time so I decided to lay up. So far with the rescue I have not had one shot that did not feel like it came perfectly off the center of the face. I have also not hit it anything but straight. It hasn't matters how hard or easy I have swung the club, it just seems to go far and straight. My lay-up on this par 5 landed center of the fairway about 15 yards short of the green.

Finally I had to use to Rescue to actually "rescue" me from a tough situation. I ended up in some trees and I had an opening to get it out, but I needed to keep it low and I had about 150 to the green. I decided to try the rescue to hit it out. I thought if I placed it back far enough in my stance I could keep the loft low and launch it out of there. I hit it and it came perfectly out of the trees straight up to the green. I ended up a few yards short but it was just because I didn't swing hard enough.

So today I used the club for three instances: Once to go over and clear some trees on a long par 5, once on a regular shot down a fairway, and once to keep it low out of some trees, and all three shots it performed perfectly for me and the ball just felt hot off the face in every instance. I am liking this club more and more as I continue to play it. This will definitely stay in my bag for the season.

Finally, just as I promised, I decided to do a little comparison with the R11 rescue and a 910h. So each time I hit the R11 Rescue I also pulled out the 910h and hit another one. First, on the shot over the trees on the dogleg: my old Nike Slingshot hybrid could never be used here because it did not launch the ball high enough to clear the trees. The R11 hybrid seems to launch higher than other hybrids I've hit, and that has allowed me to try shots like this. Out of curiosity I wanted to try the 910h for this same shot because that was the other hybrid I was considering this year. After clearing the trees and landing next to the green with the Rescue, I hit the 910h and I was unable to clear the trees by quite a few feet. I tried another one just to see if it was just a bad shot and I had the same thing happen. I must say though that the 910h is very comparable in feel. The ball seems pretty hot off the face of it. I couldn't tell you which had a better feel because they felt very much alike to me, so it would be a matter of preference for each player. I do however feel that the R11 has a slightly larger sweet spot because I felt like every time I hit it it felt like it came right off the center. The 910 I was unable to do that every time.

Next I compared distance on my shot from the fairway when I laid up on the par 5. Looking down at the 910h I was not as impressed with the look. The 910h is kind of squared on the toe, and even though I knew the face is slightly open in its standard position, it just screams "draw" to me. However, I was hitting a little more of a draw with the 910h compared to the R11 being mostly straight for me but it was only about a 5 yard draw. After hitting my R11 first I knew I wasn't going to hit a better shot with it than I did, so I used that shot for my comparison and moved on to the 910. Again, the ball came off the face really well and felt great. Even though it didn't launch as high I was expecting a more pentrating flight that would roll out to a similar distance. It ended up coming up about 7 yards shorter than the R11. I hit 3 more with the 910 (2 of them I could tell I did not hit in the sweet spot) and the ones I hit well still ended up 5-7 yards shorter than the R11.

Finally, on my shot out of the trees, the 910 was able to do the same thing I did with the R11. It punched nicely right out of the trees and rolled up by the green. I only hit this shot once with each club because I knew I hit each of them on the sweet spot and they both performed pretty much the same on this shot.

I spent a little time chipping with each of them around the practice green as well following my round. The two performed almost identically, but I would give a slight edge to the R11 here, only because I feel it was easier to align. It has a traditional, balanced hybrid shape. I have seen so many new hybrids that look more rounded toward the toe and make it look as though it is made for draws. This was throwing my alignment off a little with the 910 when I was chipping off the fringe. The white head and black face a really help align well. However, looks aside, they performed about the same in the chipping department.

Between the 910h and the R11 Rescue I would say the R11 wins out in distance and feel. I hit the R11 pretty well into the wind when I played with it on a windy day last week, but I think the lower flight of the 910 would help it penetrate through wind a little easier on a windy day. I would be more likely to put an R11 in my bag over a 910 because of the feel and distance, and because I am just not a fan of the looks of the 910.

Hope this review helps, I am a little worried now too about my reviews not being up to par with some others because this is my first testing. My next task is to complete a side by side comparison with the Cleveland Mashie. My course is supposed to have a Mashie in later this week that I can use.

Ya the paint is either very durable(which i think it is) or very good at hiding marks, not sure which one but i like it.

I'm going with durable for now. I haven't noticed any marks at all, even where I toed that ball right off the toe. She's still good as new.

Nice write up IN! woo! you boys are bringing it.

Man another great review, good stuff IN, I wouldn`t be worried man I`ve really enjoyed your thoughts along with all the others. Looking forward to your thoughts of the R11 vs Mashie.

Great job testers you guys are really doing a great job with the reviews. You have me very interested in this hybrid in the near future. 10yard draw those are some great pics man thanks for that.

Thanks CB, hopefully it treats you well when you hit it.

Nice review IN, cant wait to hear what you think compared to the mashie

Thanks CB, hopefully it treats you well when you hit it.

Actually I hit it today at golftown and liked it a lot. I also hit the 2.0 and liked it quite a bit as well. I`m not sure which to go with at this point but the reviews are really helping.

Actually I hit it today at golftown and liked it a lot. I also hit the 2.0 and liked it quite a bit as well. I`m not sure which to go with at this point but the reviews are really helping.

Awesome, i need to get out and try the 2.0 hybrid, have heard allot of good things about it.

I haven't hit the SF 2.0. I would closely look at the launch angle and decent angle. I really like how the Rescue 11 hangs in the air and drops down.

I haven't hit the SF 2.0. I would closely look at the launch angle and decent angle. I really like how the Rescue 11 hangs in the air and drops down.

I love it too, when i hit one of those high traj soft landing shots its just amazing how it drops out of the sky so softly, i have also been getting very good roll out of my punch shots with it. Well im signing off for tonight, work in 6 hours, i will answer all questions or comments tomorrow after work. Night ya'll

Played another 9 holes today. I am so excited for this year...I managed to break 80 for the first time last year. I actually did it twice. I have played 9 holes twice now for a combined score of 82! Thats my first 18 of the year and I'm at 82! Anyway...on to my on-course review of the R11 Rescue:

Today the wind was not as gusty as it was last thursday, and on the back 9 of my course I usually use my hybrid a few times, so I was anxious to get out there and give it a swing. My first shot with my hybrid came on a dogleg par 5 today. I have only been able to go for this green in two once before, and that was a time when the hole was downwind and I had one of the longest drives of my life, and I had to hit 3-wood to barely reach the front of the green. Today with no wind I used my R11 driver to blast it down the middle. I was so excited when I got to my ball and I just knew I could reach it in 2 with the Rescue. I knew with the higher launch that I would be able to clear the trees at the corner of the dogleg, so I decided to go for it. I made perfect contact with the ball and I saw it launch nice and high over the trees and land just right of the green, pin-high. The ball went perfectly straight though, so I must have been aimed slightly right. But the fact that this club has added that much distance for me that I could go for the green in 2 for only the second time in my life amazing. It was not just due to the nice drive either, it was due to the fact that I knew I could carry it over the trees to the green. Usually After my drive I know none of my irons would have the distance to get over the trees, and my 3-wood would not have enough loft to get over, so this club has now allowed me to hit shots that I never could before.

Next on another par 5 on my second shot I knew I could only reach it with my three wood on my second shot, but I wanted to give the Rescue some more playing time so I decided to lay up. So far with the rescue I have not had one shot that did not feel like it came perfectly off the center of the face. I have also not hit it anything but straight. It hasn't matters how hard or easy I have swung the club, it just seems to go far and straight. My lay-up on this par 5 landed center of the fairway about 15 yards short of the green.

Finally I had to use to Rescue to actually "rescue" me from a tough situation. I ended up in some trees and I had an opening to get it out, but I needed to keep it low and I had about 150 to the green. I decided to try the rescue to hit it out. I thought if I placed it back far enough in my stance I could keep the loft low and launch it out of there. I hit it and it came perfectly out of the trees straight up to the green. I ended up a few yards short but it was just because I didn't swing hard enough.

So today I used the club for three instances: Once to go over and clear some trees on a long par 5, once on a regular shot down a fairway, and once to keep it low out of some trees, and all three shots it performed perfectly for me and the ball just felt hot off the face in every instance. I am liking this club more and more as I continue to play it. This will definitely stay in my bag for the season.

Finally, just as I promised, I decided to do a little comparison with the R11 rescue and a 910h. So each time I hit the R11 Rescue I also pulled out the 910h and hit another one. First, on the shot over the trees on the dogleg: my old Nike Slingshot hybrid could never be used here because it did not launch the ball high enough to clear the trees. The R11 hybrid seems to launch higher than other hybrids I've hit, and that has allowed me to try shots like this. Out of curiosity I wanted to try the 910h for this same shot because that was the other hybrid I was considering this year. After clearing the trees and landing next to the green with the Rescue, I hit the 910h and I was unable to clear the trees by quite a few feet. I tried another one just to see if it was just a bad shot and I had the same thing happen. I must say though that the 910h is very comparable in feel. The ball seems pretty hot off the face of it. I couldn't tell you which had a better feel because they felt very much alike to me, so it would be a matter of preference for each player. I do however feel that the R11 has a slightly larger sweet spot because I felt like every time I hit it it felt like it came right off the center. The 910 I was unable to do that every time.

Next I compared distance on my shot from the fairway when I laid up on the par 5. Looking down at the 910h I was not as impressed with the look. The 910h is kind of squared on the toe, and even though I knew the face is slightly open in its standard position, it just screams "draw" to me. However, I was hitting a little more of a draw with the 910h compared to the R11 being mostly straight for me but it was only about a 5 yard draw. After hitting my R11 first I knew I wasn't going to hit a better shot with it than I did, so I used that shot for my comparison and moved on to the 910. Again, the ball came off the face really well and felt great. Even though it didn't launch as high I was expecting a more pentrating flight that would roll out to a similar distance. It ended up coming up about 7 yards shorter than the R11. I hit 3 more with the 910 (2 of them I could tell I did not hit in the sweet spot) and the ones I hit well still ended up 5-7 yards shorter than the R11.

Finally, on my shot out of the trees, the 910 was able to do the same thing I did with the R11. It punched nicely right out of the trees and rolled up by the green. I only hit this shot once with each club because I knew I hit each of them on the sweet spot and they both performed pretty much the same on this shot.

I spent a little time chipping with each of them around the practice green as well following my round. The two performed almost identically, but I would give a slight edge to the R11 here, only because I feel it was easier to align. It has a traditional, balanced hybrid shape. I have seen so many new hybrids that look more rounded toward the toe and make it look as though it is made for draws. This was throwing my alignment off a little with the 910 when I was chipping off the fringe. The white head and black face a really help align well. However, looks aside, they performed about the same in the chipping department.

Between the 910h and the R11 Rescue I would say the R11 wins out in distance and feel. I hit the R11 pretty well into the wind when I played with it on a windy day last week, but I think the lower flight of the 910 would help it penetrate through wind a little easier on a windy day. I would be more likely to put an R11 in my bag over a 910 because of the feel and distance, and because I am just not a fan of the looks of the 910.

Hope this review helps, I am a little worried now too about my reviews not being up to par with some others because this is my first testing. My next task is to complete a side by side comparison with the Cleveland Mashie. My course is supposed to have a Mashie in later this week that I can use.

Excellent review!! Congrats on a great round! The Rescue is really performing for you!

that's what would worry me the most, the little pebbles and gravely sand. I know that it's hell on the burner 2.0 finish.

I was hitting mine on that goat track this weekend and it had no ill effects on the cosmetic appearance of the club.

Sim Session with the Rescue 11 23.5* 5-Hybrid

Sim Session with the Rescue 11 23.5* 5-Hybrid

Got back from my simulator session. No range today we have an expected 6" of snow coming. I was very happy with the results. Great distance and trajectory as usual. I tried to do some shot shaping. I got the ball to draw really easily. The left to right was another story. I found that the club almost fights a fade. Either way, I was quite happy.

Average Distance with the 23.5* 5-Hybrid was 184. There were some bad shots in there with the attempted fades and knockdowns. However, I will take that distance with my 5-hybrid any day. You can kind of see the farthest I was hitting the 5-hybrid.
IMG00042-20110322-1315.jpg

Ball Flight with the 5-Hybrid. I really like this fligh, not a whole lot of role out. You can see where the knockdowns and failed cutshots were.
IMG00041-20110322-1307.jpg

A few off of the toe (d_mned cutshots). Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the contact.
IMG00039-20110322-1306.jpg

My longest shot with the Rescue 11 3-Hybrid
IMG00043-20110322-1319.jpg

My second longest with the Rescue 11 3-Hybrid
IMG00045-20110322-1323.jpg

***Please ask questions***

Was this on the stock settings?
Got back from my simulator session. No range today we have an expected 6" of snow coming. I was very happy with the results. Great distance and trajectory as usual. I tried to do some shot shaping. I got the ball to draw really easily. The left to right was another story. I found that the club almost fights a fade. Either way, I was quite happy.

Average Distance with the 23.5* 5-Hybrid was 184. There were some bad shots in there with the attempted fades and knockdowns. However, I will take that distance with my 5-hybrid any day. You can kind of see the farthest I was hitting the 5-hybrid.

Ball Flight with the 5-Hybrid. I really like this fligh, not a whole lot of role out. You can see where the knockdowns and failed cutshots were.

A few off of the toe (d_mned cutshots). Otherwise, I am pretty happy with the contact.

Wow, Great looking club!...I have the Cleveland Launcher Halo 4i Hybrid. I love it because it's easy to hit and it goes really high, but I can hit my 5-iron farther than it....What's the degree of loft on this club? Or which Iron/wood would this replace?

Wow, Great looking club!...I have the Cleveland Launcher Halo 4i Hybrid. I love it because it's easy to hit and it goes really high, but I can hit my 5-iron farther than it....What's the degree of loft on this club? Or which Iron/wood would this replace?

It looks to me like the hybrid in the picture is a 4 iron if that's what you're asking.

It looks to me like the hybrid in the picture is a 4 iron if that's what you're asking.

In the fuzzy pics taken with my blackberry? That was my 23.5* 5-Hybrid.

Well guys and gals the rain held off so i went straight from work to the course to meet my dad and our 9 holes turned into a 18 hole 4 man best ball, my uncle and cousin were out there when we showed up so we played with them. Had a awesome ball striking day and driving day but only got to hit the hybrid 4 times since it was best ball and if i was in trouble where i would usually use it we played the other ball. Out of the 4 shots today only 2 were good, we just didnt get along that well today, first shot was from about 220 and just hit a horrible snap hook with it and ended up being a fairway in a half over, 2nd shot was ok, around 210 to the green and i made solid contact but just off the heel, landed on the front right fringe, 3rd shot was the best of the 4, 205 i would usually hit a 5 iron but the wind was in my face so i pull the hybrid out and hit a nice high draw into the wind that landed soft and about 25 feet for birdie, 4th and finall shot with the Rescue11 today, this was on the par 5 18th and i had close to 240 left and i didnt think i could hit this that far being a 4/21* but i really put a good swing on it and went after it hard and ended up snap hooking it again but to my shock the ball was in the creek even with the front edge of the green, i really hit that one hard just my normal draw turned into a big hook. I cant say enough about how important it is with this hybrid to put a smooth/good tempo'd swing on the ball, everytime i go after it really hard or am out of rythem i get a bad result, this club really likes to be swung smooth and under control. Thats all for now if you have any questions let me know, im gonna try to get out sunday for 18 since i play every sunday but the weather is forcasted to be bad the rest of the week so it all depends on mother nature.

Went and had a quick range session. All I brought was the 18* Rescue 11 and really just focused on fading and drawing the ball. I found it easy to work the ball in small amounts. What I mean by that is that it was easier for me to setup for a draw or fade and really go after it, while the club would produce more of a 5-10 yard fade or draw instead of huge Bubba Watson style shape. I like this because with my Hibore XLS hybrids it seemed easier to overcook the ball. That does come in handy when you're in trouble, but I prefer the ability to go after it and have it not move to drastically. Any questions or anything you'd like me to test out just let me know I'd be more than happy to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much distance were you typically loosing on your miss-hits or failed knockdowns? How was the forgiveness on those attempts?

Lofts in this series are 3-18*, 4-21* and 5-23.5* as blu said. There is also a 16* 2 hybrid.

Well guys and gals the rain held off so i went straight from work to the course to meet my dad and our 9 holes turned into a 18 hole 4 man best ball, my uncle and cousin were out there when we showed up so we played with them. Had a awesome ball striking day and driving day but only got to hit the hybrid 4 times since it was best ball and if i was in trouble where i would usually use it we played the other ball. Out of the 4 shots today only 2 were good, we just didnt get along that well today, first shot was from about 220 and just hit a horrible snap hook with it and ended up being a fairway in a half over, 2nd shot was ok, around 210 to the green and i made solid contact but just off the heel, landed on the front right fringe, 3rd shot was the best of the 4, 205 i would usually hit a 5 iron but the wind was in my face so i pull the hybrid out and hit a nice high draw into the wind that landed soft and about 25 feet for birdie, 4th and finall shot with the Rescue11 today, this was on the par 5 18th and i had close to 240 left and i didnt think i could hit this that far being a 4/21* but i really put a good swing on it and went after it hard and ended up snap hooking it again but to my shock the ball was in the creek even with the front edge of the green, i really hit that one hard just my normal draw turned into a big hook. I cant say enough about how important it is with this hybrid to put a smooth/good tempo'd swing on the ball, everytime i go after it really hard or am out of rythem i get a bad result, this club really likes to be swung smooth and under control. Thats all for now if you have any questions let me know, im gonna try to get out sunday for 18 since i play every sunday but the weather is forcasted to be bad the rest of the week so it all depends on mother nature.

How much distance did you loose on this heel shot?

Went and had a quick range session. All I brought was the 18* Rescue 11 and really just focused on fading and drawing the ball. I found it easy to work the ball in small amounts. What I mean by that is that it was easier for me to setup for a draw or fade and really go after it, while the club would produce more of a 5-10 yard fade or draw instead of huge Bubba Watson style shape. I like this because with my Hibore XLS hybrids it seemed easier to overcook the ball. That does come in handy when you're in trouble, but I prefer the ability to go after it and have it not move to drastically. Any questions or anything you'd like me to test out just let me know I'd be more than happy to.

That's great info!

9I, I was on a range so I couldn't tell exactly but I would say I lost 10 yards total distance on shots more towards the heel. Maybe 15-20ish yards in carry distance, but they rolled out more.

Back