Could I really play an X flex diver shaft?

JRamz

Rippin' and a tearin'
Reaction score
Handicap
First let me preface this by saying I understand that the stiffness of different manufacturers can vary.

I have always played a stiff shaft in my driver and never even considered trying an X flex. Recently my driver club head speed has been 105-110 between the two different monitors we have at work. I have tried 3 different shaft manufacturers online shaft fittings and I was surprised to find that all have placed me in an X. I even emailed some one from UST and they also recommended an X.

Have any of you changed from a stiff to an X? I would love to hear some other peoples experiences in making this change.

Another point that I will add is that my history with drivers is that I am more inconsistent than anything else. I will have short spurts where I am happy with trajectory and my line but more often then not I am inconsistent.

I am one who made the transition from stiff to x over the last year or so.

I think X helps with a couple things when you are getting up there in swing speed:

1) Dispersion. The stiffer shaft helps me hit the ball more consistently to where I'm aiming. I'm less likely to hit a duck hook or balloon fade with the X than the stiff shaft.
2) Ball flight. The X stiff in general helps lower the ball flight. Although, the kick point and many other factors also affect ball flight so its very possible to have a stiff flex shaft that launches lower than an X stiff flex shaft.

Be prepared though that you may not see a distance increase with the X flex, in fact you may see more distance with a stiff shaft if you can control it sufficiently.

I lowered my trajectory and started to get rollout instead of ball dropping out of the sky. I wouldn't stay it stopped the ball from going left because my miss is when I block it but it is straighter off the tee. Littlepingman will get a chuckle out of that last part! :D I can go after a drive and not be worried about the moonball and going way left. It also helped when I went with lower loft driver with combo of a x flex shaft. I wouldn't have any chance in the wind with how high I was hitting the ball before. X flex I'm getting more distance with trajectory/roll out than with a stiff flex shaft.

I lowered my trajectory and started to get rollout instead of ball dropping out of the sky. I wouldn't stay it stopped the ball from going left because my miss is when I block it but it is straighter off the tee. Littlepingman will get a chuckle out of that last part! :D I can go after a drive and not be worried about the moonball and going way left. It also helped when I went with lower loft driver with combo on x flex shaft. I wouldn't have any chance in the wind with how high I was hitting the ball before.

Thanks for the input there JD, that sounded a lot like my characteristics with a stiff shaft. I was using my cobra yesterday and just from waggling before a shot I could feel and see the shaft whipping around. It honestly felt like a R flex. Every single drive was a huge ballooning slice. I'm pretty sure that is evidence right there that perhaps it is time for an upgrade. I too also have fear of going after it as well. Although it could just be the shaft so I should look into some newer models with a stiff shaft.

I am one who made the transition from stiff to x over the last year or so.

I think X helps with a couple things when you are getting up there in swing speed:

1) Dispersion. The stiffer shaft helps me hit the ball more consistently to where I'm aiming. I'm less likely to hit a duck hook or balloon fade with the X than the stiff shaft.
2) Ball flight. The X stiff in general helps lower the ball flight. Although, the kick point and many other factors also affect ball flight so its very possible to have a stiff flex shaft that launches lower than an X stiff flex shaft.

Be prepared though that you may not see a distance increase with the X flex, in fact you may see more distance with a stiff shaft if you can control it sufficiently.

Thanks for sharing your experiences G4L. Losing a little distance would not hurt me. I am usually in the 280 - 300 range with my stiff Fubuki. However the problem right now is definitely trajectory and dispersion. So if I could get those two things tightened up I would be ecstatic.

What is your club head speed with a driver?

Jramz I was super surprised when the guys at the kingdom started fitting me for an X-Stiff shaft (Diamana 'ahina 60g). I totally didn't think that the X-Stiff was in my wheelhouse. BUT the numbers don't lie and I was hitting this shaft much more consistently than the stiff version. I think that I did lose a bit of distance, but that does not worry me at all. The added consistency more than makes up for it.

Jramz I was super surprised when the guys at the kingdom started fitting me for an X-Stiff shaft (Diamana 'ahina 60g). I totally didn't think that the X-Stiff was in my wheelhouse. BUT the numbers don't lie and I was hitting this shaft much more consistently than the stiff version. I think that I did lose a bit of distance, but that does not worry me at all. The added consistency more than makes up for it.

Absolutely! I definitely don't mind giving up 10-15 yards with my driver if I'm in the fairway more often. What I am hearing so far is pretty encouraging.

Thanks for sharing your experiences G4L. Losing a little distance would not hurt me. I am usually in the 280 - 300 range with my stiff Fubuki. However the problem right now is definitely trajectory and dispersion. So if I could get those two things tightened up I would be ecstatic.

What is your club head speed with a driver?

My SS now is about 115+ with swing improvements. I first made the jump over to X for driver at about 110 swing speed and haven't looked back. Just recently I switched all my other clubs over to X as well and my iron consistency is also much better.

And as JD said, you may not see overall distance loss with the increased roll out brought on by reduced spin and launch height. Into the wind works better for me now too.

My SS now is about 115+ with swing improvements. I first made the jump over to X for driver at about 110 swing speed and haven't looked back. Just recently I switched all my other clubs over to X as well and my iron consistency is also much better.

And as JD said, you may not see overall distance loss with the increased roll out brought on by reduced spin and launch height. Into the wind works better for me now too.

Exactly. On a normal day I am ok now but if I get into a head wind I am FUBAR'ed.

I have xstiff shafts in my driver and 3wood and stiff in everything else. The only real difference is the weight. It's not like you have to be some muscle bound freak to be able to utilize xstiff. I like xstiff b/c it lowered my ball flight, and it made me more accurate. At the very first ever THP outing, I had about a two hour shaft shootout and I tried anything and everything, and the Miyazaki black, 72x won out for one reason: it offered the best ball flight. I then put a xstiff shaft in my superfast 3w b/c I was tired of hitting sky balls that faded on me. I also cut the shaft down to 43'' and now I have a low launching, missile launcher for a 3wood. I did sacrifice a bit of distance but it's a good trade out. My next set of irons will be outfitted with xstiff shafts as well. THe vector showed me that xstiff just gave me the perfect numbers for me game.

Just to add to what G4L said, my launch #s have definitely improved and I expect to see a lot more roll with this driver. If it helps too, my SS is around 110.

Thanks so far to everyone that has replied. I am getting very excited to try an X flex shaft!

I made the switch last year from a stiff cleveland hibore xls to an x-stiff nike dymo and saw some really good results. My ball flight went from rainmaker high to a nice low/boring trajectory. I did get a bit over zealous with a XX-stiff shaft as my swing speed was around 120 last year and my spin was incredibly high. That definitely wasnt for me. This year I went and got fit for the kusala black 83x that is tipped an inch and a half to help keep the spin down with a 10.5* head.

I think you'll benifit from the x-flex in terms of ball flight, side-to-side dispersion and some back spin reduction (if that is a problem for you). Hope you find that perfect shaft.

I have xstiff shafts in my driver and 3wood and stiff in everything else. The only real difference is the weight. It's not like you have to be some muscle bound freak to be able to utilize xstiff. I like xstiff b/c it lowered my ball flight, and it made me more accurate. At the very first ever THP outing, I had about a two hour shaft shootout and I tried anything and everything, and the Miyazaki black, 72x won out for one reason: it offered the best ball flight. I then put a xstiff shaft in my superfast 3w b/c I was tired of hitting sky balls that faded on me. I also cut the shaft down to 43'' and now I have a low launching, missile launcher for a 3wood. I did sacrifice a bit of distance but it's a good trade out. My next set of irons will be outfitted with xstiff shafts as well. THe vector showed me that xstiff just gave me the perfect numbers for me game.

I'm considering making the switch as well TC, the only problem is I hope to find a lightweight X-Stiff in irons. My buddy has X-Stiff i15's and the things are heavy as hell.

I moved from stiff in my driver and 3w. I wouldn't have thought about it, as I didn't imagine I'd be able to hit the x flex well. I got a loan of a R9 3w with the X flex in it, and just could not go wrong with it. So, given the chance of a driver with the same shaft, I went for it.

As others have found, I've lost a little distance on the driver, but gained lots of accuracy. I've also got a club in my hands that I'm confident with. I was always a bit wary about going at the stiff shaft. You don't have to hit it any harder to get the result.

I'm considering making the switch as well TC, the only problem is I hope to find a lightweight X-Stiff in irons. My buddy has X-Stiff i15's and the things are heavy as hell.

Not gonna happen buddy. That's one of the things about going to an X stiff shaft is you have to be able to handle the extra weight. Ligher steel shafts won't load properly under that much force. Once we're talking X stiff it's 125 grams and up for the most part (PX, KBS, etc). True Temper does do their Dynalite Gold and Dynamic Gold SL in X stiff in 110 grams but I haven't seen anything lighter then that.

Not gonna happen buddy. That's one of the things about going to an X stiff shaft is you have to be able to handle the extra weight. Ligher steel shafts won't load properly under that much force. Once we're talking X stiff it's 125 grams and up for the most part (PX, KBS, etc). True Temper does do their Dynalite Gold and Dynamic Gold SL in X stiff in 110 grams but I haven't seen anything lighter then that.

That may not be too bad then, my ZZ65's are 118g. My buddies clubs were just heavy as hell. Perhaps I wasn't used to it.

Certainly could be. It could also have felt heavier due to where the weight is balanced on them. For example I play heavier shafts generally and they feel weird to people because the weight balance is mostly towards the head rather then spread out.

I made the switch last year from a stiff cleveland hibore xls to an x-stiff nike dymo and saw some really good results. My ball flight went from rainmaker high to a nice low/boring trajectory. I did get a bit over zealous with a XX-stiff shaft as my swing speed was around 120 last year and my spin was incredibly high. That definitely wasnt for me. This year I went and got fit for the kusala black 83x that is tipped an inch and a half to help keep the spin down with a 10.5* head.

I think you'll benifit from the x-flex in terms of ball flight, side-to-side dispersion and some back spin reduction (if that is a problem for you). Hope you find that perfect shaft.

Those are all things I would hope to achieve by switching to an X flex shaft. I guess now the next step is which shaft. Oh the possibilities!

Certainly could be. It could also have felt heavier due to where the weight is balanced on them. For example I play heavier shafts generally and they feel weird to people because the weight balance is mostly towards the head rather then spread out.

That's exactly what it was. Is there some sort of thing in the spec writeup about a shaft where you can tell if the weight is spread out or balanced?

I have been going through the same thought process over the past 3 weeks. My SS is 108-114 consistently with my driver, and I have always gone with stiff flex driver shafts. I just played around with an R11 3 wood (14*) on the launch monitor and my numbers were best with a xstiff. Which got me thinking I may need an x in my driver. This thread is seemingly confirming my thoughts. Thanks.

Hey I have a driver swing speed of about 115, but have always played a Stiff. When I bought my R9, the guy told me to try out the X in it. With the X, I have a better ball flight, and much better accuracy. The Stiff shaft had me fading the ball too much, but when I went to the X, I could hit the natural draw I have with my other clubs. I lost about 3 or 4 yards of distance, but I think anyone here will agree that 295 in the fairway is better than 310 in the deep stuff!

Hey I have a driver swing speed of about 115, but have always played a Stiff. When I bought my R9, the guy told me to try out the X in it. With the X, I have a better ball flight, and much better accuracy. The Stiff shaft had me fading the ball too much, but when I went to the X, I could hit the natural draw I have with my other clubs. I lost about 3 or 4 yards of distance, but I think anyone here will agree that 295 in the fairway is better than 310 in the deep stuff!

Mos def Josh! Man I am glad I started this thread. You guys have me convinced.

Back