TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

great stuff Dent!
Well I just got back from the range in some severe rainy weather but I still had a great time with the 4W. To start I will say I couldn't have gone to the range with more worse conditions. I warmed up a bit with some PW's and hit some great shots and then immediately whipped out the 4W. I had some severe wrist pain in my left wrist and can honestly say it is from typing so much on the computer. So that was some pain to start. Go back about 3 weeks I was snow boarding and landed on my thumb and never went to the doctor, most likely it was a really bad sprain but could have even broken. It was feeling good until I hit my first 4W; Shot went straight down the pipe with a penetrating lower trajectory that was just beautiful. I take a look at the club face and the ball mark was right on the heel as close as you could get to the hosel. Guess this shows right off the hop how forgiving this thing is.

Feel

First thing I noticed is that the head compared to my 3w is longer, my Cobra is a little teardrop shape and this one looks a little longer which is amazing. Now I've heard of everyone say how whippy this shaft is, I find it stiffer than all of my other clubs, if you tried my Cobra with the S shaft compared to the blur it feels like a Reg or even a Seniors flex. Like hole out said, the shaft is stabilized great through impact and I have no problems with it so far. On a mishit you will feel and KNOW you hit it bad, the feel of a flush on centre hit is completely different from something off the toe or heel. When you hit it centre it feels nice and hollow, when off centre you feel a thick thud. The club is shorter than my 3W and gives a great feeling of control. Grip feels great, everything just feels great. The white I still can't get over because I love it so much.

Shots

I didn't have a wrench so the whole time the R11 was set on Neutral everything. I hit almost a whole bucket between my 3w and 4w and if a gun was pointed at me right now to choose I would throw the 3w out of the bag right now and game the 4w. All of my 4w shots were low boaring hard cuts. That isn't usually my ball flight but I was okay with it, it looked great. I hit some nice straight shots as well and my mis-hits were high ballooning slices. It's still early in the season and I couldn't clear my wrists through the swing so I feel this could have been part of the problem. Of course because I was on the range I couldn't tell distances because the furthest I could see was 200, there is water all around the signs so you could see a splash so I must have been clearing 200 yards. My 3 wood I hit all high ballooning slices and the shaft felt so whippy compared to the R11.

All in all I think I think I am going to love this club. I can't wait to compare distances to it with my 3w and see which one goes further. I am so excited to start tweaking this thing.

The R11 took the win in every Category across the board. Looks, Feel, Consistency.

Any questions feel free to ask.

I can't say that I have noticed anything like that either. Have you felt it, does it feel like it has indentations or is it just the illusion of having them?

No I can feel it there.. I just would hate to take it back to the store if it's not their fault.. especially when it performs admirably

No I can feel it there.. I just would hate to take it back to the store if it's not their fault.. especially when it performs admirably

Well if you can feel indentation's in the head I would definatley go and have it checked out. Their fault or not I dont think they would have any problem checking it out and or replacing it if it has a possible defect.

Well if you can feel indentation's in the head I would definatley go and have it checked out. Their fault or not I dont think they would have any problem checking it out and or replacing it if it has a possible defect.

Ya i dont think the store would mind replacing a defective product one bit.

This post is for R11 owners or tinkerers.

I think I am going to hit the R11 at the only outside fitter I can find in the Dayton area tomorrow.

My swing speed is around 108. My misses are usually big hooks. The consistent flight with an all neutral setting is a low 15-25 yard draw. The ball flight I am looking for is a mid flight with as close to straight as possible. 5 yard draw or fade is fine.

So my question is what should I have them set this driver at coming out of the fitting cart. I am going to ask to take the tool to the range myself since I work with the R11 in my hands everyday, but can't hit it further than 15 feet where I work. However, I feel like the pro is going to tell me that he won't trust me with the tool and will be afraid I will break the club blah blah blah and say that I need to get fitted.

I know I need to get fitted, but when you only have a TaylorMade, Titleist, and Ping fitting cart then you can't really get the best product for you because that may be the RAZR or Cleveland 310, etc.

So is there a certain setting I should ask him to set it at that may get me the results I am looking for in relation to my swing speed and misses?

I was thinking about putting the 10g on the toe, taking the loft up to a 9.5 from a 9 and leaving the lie the same.

If you were me and had one setting to choose from to try to get the optimal setting what would you go with?

I guess I am confused. Are you going to see the fitter? If so, why not just have him fit you?

I guess I am confused. Are you going to see the fitter? If so, why not just have him fit you?

im confused as well

Sorry lol, I was typing this while on the phone. So i am confused myself.

The place I am going has clubs to demo from the demo cart. However, I am not sure if I want to pay the $30-50 to get fitted because while it would come off the cost of the club if I bought it there... I am not going to buy it there. Plus, I really don't know if they have a good reputation for fittings.

They will set it one way out of the cart. However to continually get it changed you have to purchase the fitting. I figured tomorrow, I could set it one way out of the cart that I think would be the best for getting the results I need. I doubt they let me take the tool onto the range to change the settings myself.

I can't help it, after watching OEM hit this last weekend and watching the Kingdom videos for the past 10 days or so, I really want this driver. Wishing I didn't purchase that Supertri after the outing now.

The place I am going has clubs to demo from the demo cart. However, I am not sure if I want to pay the $30-50 to get fitted because while it would come off the cost of the club if I bought it there... I am not going to buy it there. Plus, I really don't know if they have a good reputation for fittings.

They will set it one way out of the cart. However to continually get it changed you have to purchase the fitting. I figured tomorrow, I could set it one way out of the cart that I think would be the best for getting the results I need. I doubt they let me take the tool onto the range to change the settings myself.

There really is no best place to set it. That is kind of the point in that it can fit so many properly through fitting. My opinion anyway.

I can't help it, after watching OEM hit this last weekend and watching the Kingdom videos for the past 10 days or so, I really want this driver. Wishing I didn't purchase that Supertri after the outing now.

Coming from the Callaway sponsored Morgan Cupper. Nice!

Coming from the Callaway sponsored Morgan Cupper. Nice!

don't worry, I really want the Razr Hawk too!!! I think spending 5 hours with OEM wasn't such a good thing for me

You can donate that ST to the Human Fund. I'm an administrator and will make sure it goes to a good home.

You can donate that ST to the Human Fund. I'm an administrator and will make sure it goes to a good home.

humanfund.jpg

If you are wanting to pretty much fit yourself for it why dont you just go to a local course and use one of their demo clubs on the range? That way you can take the wrench and make all the adjustments you want.

If you are wanting to pretty much fit yourself for it why dont you just go to a local course and use one of their demo clubs on the range? That way you can take the wrench and make all the adjustments you want.

Side note: You guys live in a totally different world. Courses around here don't have clubs for you take out and demo before buying. Unless you go to a fitter or a golf town for their sim, you don't get to hit before you buy.

Side note: You guys live in a totally different world. Courses around here don't have clubs for you take out and demo before buying. Unless you go to a fitter or a golf town for their sim, you don't get to hit before you buy.

Do you belong to a private course Tuna or are you just public? I know every course around here that is private allows you to do so.

That's what this place is, but I really doubt they let me take the wrench. I can fit myself so I really hope they let me, but i highly doubt it.

This post is for R11 owners or tinkerers.

I think I am going to hit the R11 at the only outside fitter I can find in the Dayton area tomorrow.

My swing speed is around 108. My misses are usually big hooks. The consistent flight with an all neutral setting is a low 15-25 yard draw. The ball flight I am looking for is a mid flight with as close to straight as possible. 5 yard draw or fade is fine.

So my question is what should I have them set this driver at coming out of the fitting cart. I am going to ask to take the tool to the range myself since I work with the R11 in my hands everyday, but can't hit it further than 15 feet where I work. However, I feel like the pro is going to tell me that he won't trust me with the tool and will be afraid I will break the club blah blah blah and say that I need to get fitted.

I know I need to get fitted, but when you only have a TaylorMade, Titleist, and Ping fitting cart then you can't really get the best product for you because that may be the RAZR or Cleveland 310, etc.

So is there a certain setting I should ask him to set it at that may get me the results I am looking for in relation to my swing speed and misses?

I was thinking about putting the 10g on the toe, taking the loft up to a 9.5 from a 9 and leaving the lie the same.

If you were me and had one setting to choose from to try to get the optimal setting what would you go with?

If I were you and you were going to take the R11 out on the range on your own (without the fitter) I'd definitely put the 10g weight on the toe, I'd also get a 10.5* head and put the FCT setting on "lower", thus opening the face. That's where I would start if you're experiencing 20-25 yard draws with everything on standard.

If I were you and you were going to take the R11 out on the range on your own (without the fitter) I'd definitely put the 10g weight on the toe, I'd also get a 10.5* head and put the FCT setting on "lower", thus opening the face. That's where I would start if you're experiencing 20-25 yard draws with everything on standard.

I agree. If you are battling a hook the last thing you want to do is close the club face which is what would happen if you increased the loft on the 9*. The better way to vet to 9.5* would be to get the 10.5* and set it at the lower. I would definitely put the weight in the toe. As far as the AST I would either leave it at neutral or out it at open. On big question I would have is what shaft is best for you and with that shaft is 9.5* too much, too little, or just the right amount of loft. Much of this you will be able to tell by the launch conditions. Hope this helps, but I have to say a good fitting is sooo beneficial with this club.

PS I absolutely am in live with this club!

That's what this place is, but I really doubt they let me take the wrench. I can fit myself so I really hope they let me, but i highly doubt it.

Really? How do you judge spin and get optimal launch numbers?

JB, in your opinion or findings, do you find that the ASP affects your launch angle/spin/#'s? There seems to be a bit of differing opinions. I had assumed that all the ASP did was to play more of a visual role for the golfer, but changing it did affect my #'s significantly.

TC I can tell you that the ASP changed a weak sauce little slice that I had going to a nice penetrating straight/draw shot. I don't know if any numbers changed but I can say that the ballflight changed drastically.

TC I can tell you that the ASP changed a weak sauce little slice that I had going to a nice penetrating straight/draw shot. I don't know if any numbers changed but I can say that the ballflight changed drastically.

Yeah, I'm the one who says that it does affect all kinds of #'s, in fact, I have #'s that show that, but there seems to be some differing opinions on whether or not it actually plays a role.

I do find it funny that on Taylormade's website, they have video of Kaymer, DJ, and Rose getting optimized for this driver and all of their #'s were optimized and it included altering the setting on the ASP.

JB, in your opinion or findings, do you find that the ASP affects your launch angle/spin/#'s? There seems to be a bit of differing opinions. I had assumed that all the ASP did was to play more of a visual role for the golfer, but changing it did affect my #'s significantly.

I think it does. On the monitor, we see a difference of spin and launch by adjusting it. Not exactly robot testing, but it seems to for a number of golfers.

Back