Are You Playing the Right Length?

i use a 34" but the way i putt its really a 32" due to the way i grip my putter
top of the grip rests against my forearm
ive never been fit for my putter

I have a 34'' as well, but prob grip at least an inch down on it. I like the feel better. I also think putter length should also come into play with grips and grip sizing. I'm not sure how it should work, but the grip sizing (standard, midsize, jumbo) is important in the grip and feel of the putter. I don't think you would need a longer putter with a larger grip.

The putter is what has been holding my game up and now that I have had my stroke looked at and fixed, I can start becoming deadly and get the ball below ground quicker. I hate GIR's and 3 banging.

I love 3 banging....but man 3 putts just irk the hell out of me

I am glad your getting that part of your game in tune. it always makes for a much more enjoyable game

Great topic SethO, its great you now have a putter you can be confident in. I'm a little over 6' 3" and I play with a 34" putter, it just feel right now me.

I love 3 banging....but man 3 putts just irk the hell out of me

I am glad your getting that part of your game in tune. it always makes for a much more enjoyable game

buahahaha... it all depend on who the other 2 are

Great topic SethO, its great you now have a putter you can be confident in. I'm a little over 6' 3" and I play with a 34" putter, it just feel right now me.

do you find your misses are pushes?

Yeah, I would definitely do that if I still had the SC that I got all that confidance in, but it is out of my hands now and I would rather have a putter today than go through getting the putter back and getting the proper weights. 20 grams of lead tape on the Yes would have looked weird haha.

You also can put lead powder down the shaft and cork it off. That is another route other than using lead tape. I hate the look of it! But you have to be careful adding too much since it will effect how putter feels. I've had few done that way and most ever put was 13g. I went to a midsize grip to help with overall weight.

I am the same height as you, when i was fitted they went by the length of my middle knuckle on my fingers to the ground. and then put it in the triangle chart to ensure all my measurements added up. They saw at 35" best for me. I have never even thought about putter lengths before, but since using a putter that is "fit" for me I notice I have a huge conifdence boost. The two rounds I played with my new putter, i never 3 putted!

I'm 6' and I play a 32'' putter, I'm hunched over quite a bit in my stance so it feels perfect to me... I do have a question about SW though, even if you were to get any type putter you wanted off the shelf, do they make heavier heads or do they just cut the shaft and use the same head??

You also can put lead powder down the shaft and cork it off. That is another route other than using lead tape. I hate the look of it! But you have to be careful adding too much since it will effect how putter feels. I've had few done that way and most ever put was 13g. I went to a midsize grip to help with overall weight.

That is pretty cool!

I have no idea how long my putter is, and I'm not sure I want to know how long it is or whether it's the right fit for me. Putters are curious creatures, just like pokemon. I have no idea what the hell makes one better than the other, but when it feels right, just go with it.

I have no idea how long my putter is, and I'm not sure I want to know how long it is or whether it's the right fit for me. Putters are curious creatures, just like pokemon. I have no idea what the hell makes one better than the other, but when it feels right, just go with it.

Pokemon Putters....sounds like a new brand.

I'm 6' and I play a 32'' putter, I'm hunched over quite a bit in my stance so it feels perfect to me... I do have a question about SW though, even if you were to get any type putter you wanted off the shelf, do they make heavier heads or do they just cut the shaft and use the same head??

Coming from Cameron..... his idea was 33" 350g/ 34" 340g / 35" 330g. Some companies make heavier heads but most putters you will find are 35" 330g. It's more of standard than anything else I believe. Pings have always been lighter than most companies until recent. However with more people liking heavier headweights you can sometimes find different headweights depending on the model and weight sets. You can change things like the grip that will effect the swingweight and how the putter feels by the weight.

im gonna start gaming a broomstick ala adam scott... not

Coming from Cameron..... his idea was 33" 350g/ 34" 340g / 35" 330g Some companies make heavier heads but most putters you will find are 35" 330g. It's more of standard that anything else I believe. Pings have always been lighter than most companies until recent. However with more people liking heavier headweights you can sometimes different headweights depending on the model and with the different weight sets.

I wish my 35" Odyssey was more than 340g. However, i did try a Heavy putter this past weekend, and that thing was like putting with a sledgehammer. It was very weird.

Coming from Cameron..... his idea was 33" 350g/ 34" 340g / 35" 330g. Some companies make heavier heads but most putters you will find are 35" 330g. It's more of standard than anything else I believe. Pings have always been lighter than most companies until recent. However with more people liking heavier headweights you can sometimes find different headweights depending on the model and weight sets. You can change things like the grip that will effect the swingweight and how the putter feels by the weight.

Makes sense... I'm comfortable with the feel of the putter right now, but I should note it's a Yes! Dianna with adjustable weights and I' have it at 370 which according to SC's line of thinking would make it standard.

I wish my 35" Odyssey was more than 340g. However, i did try a Heavy putter this past weekend, and that thing was like putting with a sledgehammer. It was very weird.

It is after the fact but if you can find a shorter length putter OTR it should be heavier than the next length up. If you like the weight but not the length you might just want to get it reshafted (longer shaft) or think about putting an extension in it. That would be the easier route to go.

Well let me take some of that back. Some companies just have one headweight and offer custom lengths of 33"-35" and no change of headweight. You just have to be aware of this depending on length putter you use. This is case with The Gambler Series through My Custom Putter program. They have headweights of 340-350g depending on model and let you pick there. I do like how they are using 340-350g so this will help swingweights rather if they were all 330g. I wish they had heavier headweights option but that is probably very costly due to CNC changes and # of runs.

I'm 5'7" ish and used to play a 35" and employee at a golf store said it was way to long - got me hooked on the 34". Once I bought Jman's Seemore and sent it into vibrant, it's now 33 1/4 and feels much easier to create that pendulum.

Tap before talk.

I am 6' and use a 35" putter. I was gaming a 34" a while back but would end up with a sore back. The extra length seems to have solved that issue for me which is a huge bonus, its no fun playing with a sore back

I have enough putters that are different lengths that once I am "off" for more than a couple rounds, I will switch styles (mallet/blade) and/or length. However, I feel that I gravitate towards my shorter putters more often and tend to putt my best with a putter around 34". Also, when I have a 35" putter in my bag, I will choke down if I start missing putts during my round.

Are you sure about that? I think you are wrong... haha

Are you sure about that? I think you are wrong... haha

:loser: You know how horrible I putt... I shouldn't be giving advice to anyone but I can at least talk about putters.. :D

I have a 35 incher, but I grip down on it to the base of the grip. I am about 5'7" in 8th grade, and I plan on growing into it because I plan on using this putter for a while.

I used my Cameron at 35" for about 4 years, then a golf pro actually told me I needed a 33" length, and I'm 5"10".

Ever since then I feel like I've had more distance control and I have putted a little more solidly than before

Back