Out with the old (PROV1) and in with the new (PROV1)...not so fast

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I played three rounds of golf over the weekend and used the PROV1 new and old. I wanted to see for myself if there was a difference.

I hit numerous tee balls with each, the new out distance the old by and average of 12 yds into and down winds. Miss hits with the New went no where but miss his with the old we not that far off in distance.
The spin on the New PROV1 was pretty high, I managed to back up a couple of mid irons. The workability was equal with both balls.
Putting was equal with each as far as roll is concerned but the New PROV1 seemed to pop off the face of the putter. The same was true with the driver. The ball felt like it left the face of club with very little effort.
I used two balls that were used during the first round for my third round of golf. It was a little chilly Sunday so I new the ball would not fly as far. The new PROV was 20 yrds shorter than the old. This true for the enitre round even after the temps rose into the high 70s. This was suprising to me. The OLD ProV1 kept it's performance through out the entire third round.
Iwasn't asked to test the balls but I though I would share my findings. Any one else have any thoughts.....

I honestly believe that its all coincidence. Titleist would never release its "new and improved" ball if it was vastly inferior. I have also never heard of golf balls becoming worse and worse performance wise after 3 rounds. 15 rounds maybe, but not 3.

Thanks for the input, those are some serious yardage distance and gains between the old and new ball. In the end which ball would you go with to game?

I played three rounds of golf over the weekend and used the PROV1 new and old. I wanted to see for myself if there was a difference.

I hit numerous tee balls with each, the new out distance the old by and average of 12 yds into and down winds. Miss hits with the New went no where but miss his with the old we not that far off in distance.
The spin on the New PROV1 was pretty high, I managed to back up a couple of mid irons. The workability was equal with both balls.
Putting was equal with each as far as roll is concerned but the New PROV1 seemed to pop off the face of the putter. The same was true with the driver. The ball felt like it left the face of club with very little effort.
I used two balls that were used during the first round for my third round of golf. It was a little chilly Sunday so I new the ball would not fly as far. The new PROV was 20 yrds shorter than the old. This true for the enitre round even after the temps rose into the high 70s. This was suprising to me. The OLD ProV1 kept it's performance through out the entire third round.
Iwasn't asked to test the balls but I though I would share my findings. Any one else have any thoughts.....
I demoed the PROV1 in the late fall. Got that simple plain white box in the mail and was asked for my feed back. Honestly, I felt the same way you did. It felt much hotter than it played. Not really sure why. Maybe that's why I started playing Srixon.....

So for you the new ProV was an average of 12 yards longer than the old ProV during the first 18 holes... but when you used them in your third round, the new ProV was 20 yards shorter than the old ProV???

This seems very odd. I have not hit the new ones yet, so I have no evidence indicating otherwise. But, to be perfectly honest, it sounds a little suspicious.

I'm interested in the new proV1 but I just hate the price. I always look on ebay to get them in bulks(got 3 dozen of pentas for a great price for christmas) but I'll have to buy a sleeve of these to do my own test against the penta.

So for you the new ProV was an average of 12 yards longer than the old ProV during the first 18 holes... but when you used them in your third round, the new ProV was 20 yards shorter than the old ProV???

This seems very odd. I have not hit the new ones yet, so I have no evidence indicating otherwise. But, to be perfectly honest, it sounds a little suspicious.

I agree, i have never seen a ball in my life that after 3 rounds was shorter than it was before. I have used balls that have had 10+ rounds on them and didnt see a distance loss

I guess what I was saying personally was that the ball FELT like it was going to carry better than it did. At least for me. That part I absolutely agree with.

The new ball was shorter than than the old in cool conditions. My test were in no way percise, but I did find the new ball to shorter in cool temps. I even pulled a Callaway iTour out of my bag and it was longer than the New ProV1. maybe I had a flawed ball but it preformed well the first day.

Good points but please be aware that pros change out their golf balls regularly during a tournament.

I will be staying with the old ball. More consistant to me...

Thanks for the input, those are some serious yardage distance and gains between the old and new ball. In the end which ball would you go with to game?

Good points but please be aware that pros change out their golf balls regularly during a tournament.

ya they do cause they are free lol, what im saying is i have played a ball for multiple rounds and hit one that was about 10 rounds old and never lost distance cause it was a old ball, its just weird that after 3 rounds it was 20 yards shorter, now if it was just from the cold temps then i can see that but you said in the 70's. I believe ya im just trying to wrap my head around why lol

I know, I was in total disbelief and thought as it got warmer the ball would travel farther and it never did. Who knows.....

Great job with the review. I would never really be able to tell the difference not that good.

Never seen a ProV that lasted 1 round nevermind 3.

i'd have to say i'm on the side of whatever works best for you. found myself using the NXT tour for a while cos i was hitting them quite well but have changed to the big berta diablo cos they were cheap and cheerful

Never seen a ProV that lasted 1 round nevermind 3.

you must throw them away after the first little scratch lol, i have the Jaws wedge with Mack Daddy grooves and can play multiple rounds with the same ball, i peal the little pieces of cover off after the Jaws peals them up, never seen any weird ball flights or anything, acts just like a new ball.

I got a sleeve of the test balls last year, and I played 9 holes with the new and 9 with the old. I thought the new had better feel with the putter, but I couldn't really notice a difference in other playability, they're both great golf balls

did you notice a difference in greenside spin with the 2 versions? How about a difference in the greenside spin with the temperature changes?

Back