Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

Great info there! I totally agree with you about Cleveland being way under the radar. If they keep coming out with fantastic equipment like this, we'll start seeing their stuff everwhere!

Thought I would report in on how my new SL290 driver is going.

I played yesterday for the first 18 holes in about 3 weeks and used my new driver. I have to admit I had a bad day off the tee and was slicing/fading like crazy which is not normal for me. I only hit about 3 straight shots out of 10. I really felt like the long length was hindering me but I am also recovering from a pretty bad back problem and I'm sure I was protecting it.

Played another 18 holes today because for the first time in a while, my back felt pretty darn good. I started out with a pull because I was really focusing on turning through the ball, then a push on the next hole. Once I finally found a good tempo, I started hitting the ball much better. I still feel like I have an adjustment period with the new length (45 3/4 vs the 44 1/2 I was hitting). I used impact tape on the back nine today and here are the results of where I'm hitting the club. I'm getting close to the sweet spot. Boy are you rewarded when you find it! Anyway, I'm happy to report that the slice was gone today.

Great write-ups everyone!

littlepingman, that was a great write up. I like that you are looking forward to stepping up on to the tee box now.

Kellybo, what to hit the ball in the center of the club face honey!

Great write ups from both of you, well done.

FIFY, I heard that is approved course wear in Georgia :D

Dont worry....YOu will be their sales guy VERY soon.

No question about it. Then he can wear his jeans and say they are the Cleveland colors. He's an insider now

I think there is a malfunction on the "Reply to Thread" button. Every time I try to reply the above statements come up :confused2:

littlepingman, that was a great write up. I like that you are looking forward to stepping up on to the tee box now.

I agree, great writeup and very informative.

Thanks TC but I'm supposed to be hitting higher up according to my coach. He says I must be getting my shoulders way ahead of the golf club causing me to hit the ball on the bottom of the face. That would explain the pushes to the right too. At least it's not the driver! I was hitting it so good on the range!!! Typical!!!

Thanks. Its been quite a while since I've felt this way about a driver. I feel like I have a complete bag right now and my ho'ing ways may be coming to an end...

Thanks. Its been quite a while since I've felt this way about a driver. I feel like I have a complete bag right now and my ho'ing ways may be coming to an end...

Really good writeup lpm! I enjoyed it and there is nothing better than having confidence with the big stick. That is where it all begins :thumb:

I am hearing in some reviews that the XL270 is a pretty high launching/high spinning club, while the 290 is a very low launching/low spinning model that you may need to go up a loft to get going. So that the player using a 9* stiff with the 270 might need to use a 12* stiff for the 290.

Anyone else finding that? Pretty interesting if true.

I am hearing in some reviews that the XL270 is a pretty high launching/high spinning club, while the 290 is a very low launching/low spinning model that you may need to go up a loft to get going. So that the player using a 9* stiff with the 270 might need to use a 12* stiff for the 290.

According to their own website all 3 shafts are mid launching. Which is kind of what we are seeing on the monitor during testing.

http://clevelandgolf.com/US_launcher-xl270__launcher_xl270__viewProd_drivers.html

I was fit to a 10.5° so I doubt that would be the case. I have been known to have very high spin with my driver though and was able to keep it around 2900-3100 with this driver but I'm pretty sure my spin was high with the 270 if I remember right. They tried me with a 12° and my ball went way too high.

in my testing i found that the 290 launched as high or higher than the 270 because the tip section of the shaft in the 290 felt extremely whippy.

I went to The Golf Warehouse Cleveland Demo days last Thursday and it was an awful experience . I hit the 290 10.5* in a R flex first , the guy asked if I hit the ball high , and I mentioned I will bring rain ....... So he hands me a 290 9* in a stiff flex and showed I only hit it 177 yds with a 5200 spin , I know I am a short hitter but usually can get it out there between 220- 240 with my sky high Diablo Edge 10* R shaft .
Then he had me hit the 310 in a 9* R flex ( hit it 3 times ) , I still only hit it 177 with a 2100 spin and he said this was the driver he recommended .
I then asked to hit the mashie in 18* R flex, ( as I am looking for a 200 yd club ) I hit it 189 off the mat , second ball I hit it flush 199 .
After I seen that I was done !

I was able to spend some time with this driver on the course Wednesday, initially I wanted to compare it to another driver but after a few swings on the range I found myself gravitating to the Cleveland. First off I really enjoy the sound, a nice crisp pop; which is a huge difference from my current driver in a very good way. I'm never going to be a long hitter so I can't speak for incredible distance gains, but just by feel it seems that I load the Miyazaki shaft better than my current Avix Core which with a proper fitting should put me a little longer than the Dymo. I'm never one to hit a club a few times and be ready to make a purchase, this one however certainly had me wanting to purchase it right away.

The way you were hitting it SW, I can understand that.

My drive is a work in progress and I'm using impact tape on it as I do drills and play. I played 18 today using the Cleveland SL290 10.5° with the tape on it and here are the results. I hit some really nice drives today with this club. The longer length is not affecting my swing at all like I feared and when I hit the sweetspot, I'm seeing really long and straight shots. I had a few mishits out on the toe and heel and did lose a good bit of distance on those shots but the ball still managed to stay in the fairway.

I played back on the gold tees today because I now have a bag of clubs that I can confidently use for my long game. I am loving all my new Cleveland sticks so much! I just have to get that swing working right so I can see the true benefits that are waiting on me.

Over the past 3 weeks I have switched to the Cleveland XL270 Draw Driver, 17 degree FL 3Wood and 18 and 23 degree Mashies. The mashies sold me on the driver and 3 wood based on the Miyazaki shafts. I am 62 and have about an 88 mph swing speed. The "light" concept seemed like a good thing to try out. Thes clubs replaced the TM Burner Superfast Driver, Ping G15 17 degree 4Wood and 19 and 23 degree TM Launcher hybrids. I played twice this weekend and am extremely happy with the Cleveland results. My regular foursome commented repeatedly about how far (and straight) I was hitting the driver. I usually hit my driver about 210. This weekend was much closer to 220 on average. The 3 Wood pounds the ball and was also straight to a slight fade. Good trajectory, 17 degree makes it easy to get airborne. I was only 10 yards away in two on a finishing Par 5 today with driver/3 wood. That never usually happens to me. I did birdie the hole. The mashies were even better. The 23 degree flies high and I hit every one solid. The 18 degee is a lower trajectory for me and slight fade, but rockets off the clubface. This may be just a "honeymoon" but so far I am really enjoying my switch to Cleveland.

Hey Tucson, what flex did get in your shafts?

Finally got the chance to try the clevelands today! Tried them on a Trackman monitor and found a couple of things:

I hit all three ´models about the same distance, but had trouble with the 270. It felt a little light.

I asked the guy if he knew anything about the Miyazaki shaft/flexcode, and he did! I´m so going to buy this club!
Unfortunately I found out some major issues with my swing too that needs adressing........

Overall i think it was a good day at the store. Oh and I bought and regripped my 7 iron with a midsize grip I´ve been wanting to try.

I keep eying the 17 degree version of this club. OEM hit some good shots with the 13 yesterday, I just don't think I'd be able to use that from the fairway.

I just picked up the TL310 with a Kusala Black 83x this weekend and can't wait to hit the course soon. The Miyazaki shaft is amazing in this club! I'm launching the ball around 11.5* with around 3000rpm backspin now. With my nike dymo I was launching around 8-9* with closer to 4000rpm backspin.

Having hit the driver so well, I'm pondering picking up a 3 or 4 wood to replace my titleist.

I will be trying out these next week. Never got on with the DST- it just felt too light, so I hope this will feel better somehow. I want new FWs as well, but these look like they have deeper faces than the XLS series and that worries me since I mostly use my woods off the deck.

I keep eying the 17 degree version of this club. OEM hit some good shots with the 13 yesterday, I just don't think I'd be able to use that from the fairway.

I'm loving mine!

Back