One Putt Wedge Co. rocks!

clam fist

Reaction score

wedge-rough.jpg

I received a new wedge in the mail. As many of you know, I love wedges. I think this one is possibly the easiest wedge I have ever hit. Best of all, the money they make goes to charity. Here is the explanation of the club in their own words. http://oneputtwedge.com/puttingwedge.html The website has videos and instructional videos.
VENTURA, CA – The testimonials come from pros and amateurs alike, all taken by the practical design and compelling story behind one of the most unique clubs to hit the golf industry in several years – Herbie’s One Putt Wedge.

“A golf club for the 21st century” is what Jay Radzavicz, Producer of Golf Channel’s Champions Tour Learning Center, called the One Putt Wedge.

“This is a great club for the 12 handicap and above,” said Kenny Perry, the winner of 14 PGA TOUR titles.

“It has taken the terror and mystery out of my short game and provided consistency… It has taken me from pathetic to competent with very little practice. Even the occasional bad shot still goes straight,” wrote Golf Australia Columnist Brendan Moloney.

“Had Tom Watson had Kit Mungo’s new wedge with which to hit his chip shot on the final hole of this year’s British Open, there’s a good chance Watson would be carrying around the Claret Jug today,” wrote Ventura County Star golf writer Bob Buttitta.

The Claret Jug may be out of reach for 99.99 percent of the world’s golfers, but with the creation of Herbie’s One Putt Wedge, scoring from the “red zone” – the area 100 yards and in – just became easier for golfers of all abilities.

Created by longtime club designer and fitter Kit Mungo from an idea conceived by Herb Hyman, the founder of the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Herbie’s One Putt Wedge is a short-game hybrid – a versatile blend of putter and wedge designed to automatically position your hands forward of the ball, promoting a pendulum stroke that is as simple as it is efficient. The skulled chip and bladed pitch become a thing of the past.

“One of the hardest things of hitting a chip shot is that it requires the arms and wrists to open and close the clubface at the precise moment of contact,” Mungo said. “With this design, players use a pendulum stroke which makes it simple to get the clubface on the ball squarely every time.”

The club’s ingenious design, which integrates the mass and weight associated with mallet putters along with the flange and sharp leading edge of the traditional sand wedge, allows you to effortlessly hit a variety of shots: from the fairway, the fringe, the deep rough, the not-so-deep rough and the sand.

“I tried every conceivable lie and the wedge performed flawlessly,” said Champions Tour player Dick Mast.
(more)

2-2-2
INNOVATIVE HERBIE’S ONE PUTT WEDGE ADDS SHORT-GAME VERSATILITY

That sums up the beauty and the versatility of Herbie’s One Putt Wedge. The club features 48 degrees of loft, but its design makes it effectively a club practical for shots ranging from 8-iron
chips to sand wedge explosions from the bunker to high, soft-landing shots to tucked pins. That makes it an easy substitute for your sand wedge – and any shot inside of 100 yards.

“Based on my experience designing and fitting golf clubs for players of all skill levels, I believe that the One Putt Wedge can be described as the ultimate wedge,” Mungo said. “Every shot you take, you can feel the quality and superb design. When you try Herbie’s One Putt Wedge, you’ll never want to put it down.”

Herbie’s One Putt Wedge fully conforms to all USGA regulations, meaning it is acceptable for all levels of tournaments. That was important to both Mungo and Hyman, who wanted to create a club that everyone from tour pros to recreational golfers can use anytime.

This desire came about one frustrating day on the course, when Hyman -- aggravated about a balky short game – reverted back to his entrepreneurial and inventor roots. He realized that using the pendulum stroke should make it easier to get the ball out of sand, the rough, the fringe or other problematic areas in the scoring “red zone” – 100 yards and in.

Hyman took this concept to Mungo, who called upon his nearly 25 years of club-making and club-fitting experience to bring Hyman’s concept to reality. Mungo took Hyman’s idea and created a club that incorporated the geometry of the oversized putter with the functionality of the wedge.

Equally as important, Mungo built the shaft of the club leaning forward and positioned the leading edge slightly forward of the shaft. Combined with the low center of gravity, that allows golfers to easily hit down and through the ball using that pendulum stroke.

It worked for Hyman. He immediately shaved four shots off his game and employed Mungo to bring his new club to market. Hyman has designated all the profits to charity.

“I’m building the business to help charities,” Hyman said. “I want all of my profits going to worthwhile causes.”

Herbie’s One Putt Wedge retails for $139. It is available at http://oneputtwedge.bvcommerce.com/ for both men and women in both left- and right-hand models.

ABOUT A BETTER CLUB INC.
A Better Club, Inc. was founded in 1990 by Kit Mungo and Golf Professional Erin Rea under the tutelage of renowned club designer Phil Skavronski. A Better Club is built on sound fundamental golf club design that has served players such as Arnold Palmer, Tom Weiskopf, Tiger Woods and Vijay Singh. The company is devoted to designing golf clubs from concept to production in a custom-made environment and blends high performance results into practical club-fitting techniques for both Tour pros and amateurs alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting club Clam, looking forward to your thoughts after you take it out to the course.

Interesting club Clam, looking forward to your thoughts after you take it out to the course.

This club seems like the answer to a shaky short game. With a quick short game fix, there should be plenty of time to work on other problem areas. here is a clickable video

Last edited:
Interesting looking club. Look forward to reading your review after you have a chance to put it in play.

I had a chance to practice a bit with this wedge and I am impressed. I went to the driving range chipping area to give it a workout. It really is hard to hit a bad shot. Once I got the distance down, it was easy to get the ball close to the hole. I was even hitting the pin and sinking a few from about 25 feet. I like how the shaft leans forward. It makes sure that your hands come thru first. After my time on the chipping green, I hit a bucket of balls on the range. I think the time I spent with the One Putt Wedge ingrained getting my hands thru first and I was getting more lag from my other clubs. I am happy with this club and can see myself using it quite a bit. I seem to find myself just off the front or back of the green often. I have problems with this type of shot. I can't wait to give it a full workout on the course. I was going to play today, but we have a freak snow in Gatlinburg. Yesterday was in the 60's!

I had a chance to practice a bit with this wedge and I am impressed. I went to the driving range chipping area to give it a workout. It really is hard to hit a bad shot. Once I got the distance down, it was easy to get the ball close to the hole. I was even hitting the pin and sinking a few from about 25 feet. I like how the shaft leans forward. It makes sure that your hands come thru first. After my time on the chipping green, I hit a bucket of balls on the range. I think the time I spent with the One Putt Wedge ingrained getting my hands thru first and I was getting more lag from my other clubs. I am happy with this club and can see myself using it quite a bit. I seem to find myself just off the front or back of the green often. I have problems with this type of shot. I can't wait to give it a full workout on the course. I was going to play today, but we have a freak snow in Gatlinburg. Yesterday was in the 60's!

good deal, glad its working for ya, its a interesting looking club

I just do not see how this helps someone in an area where the Niblick does not. Yet the Niblick seems to be far more versatile.

i bet my buddy kenny would love this club... thanks clam

I just do not see how this helps someone in an area where the Niblick does not. Yet the Niblick seems to be far more versatile.
I haven't tried a Niblick. I would be interested in comparing the two. Is the Niblick swing a pendulum motion also?

I haven't tried a Niblick. I would be interested in comparing the two. Is the Niblick swing a pendulum motion also?

It can be. That to me is what makes it more versatile. It can be used many different ways.

It can be. That to me is what makes it more versatile. It can be used many different ways.

I do like the weighting in this club. It has a great alignment markings too. I am off to the eBay to see if I can pick up a Niblick on the cheap. I can do a bit of head to head tests then. I trying to do everything I can to lower my scores before that May outing. I am really looking forward to it and trying to be more serious about my game, w/o being a serious golfer.

UPDATE:

I played 18 holes at Creekside in Kodak TN. I missed quite a few greens, which is normal for me:D. I have to tell you guys I had two birdies that I can give credit to the One Putt Wedge. I holed a 25 footer from a bunker to an elevated green! I couldn't believe it. The other birdie I attribute to this wedge was from 12 feet, just off of the green. I had my little brother tend the flag and he pulled it just in time for my ball to roll right on in.

The way this strange looking club is set up just flat out works for me. My shots from off the green have never been so consistent. The missed shots were close, and I had shorter putts to make.

The only thing I have had a hard time with is hitting the longer shots with this wedge. Using the pendulum stroke, I can only hit it about 40 yards. I am going to look at the company site again to see what tips they have to offer.

I am sure that this club is not for everyone, but if you are struggling with your short game, this club will give you confidence. It did mine:clapp:

Very interesting looking club. But is it that much better then a standard club? Enough to take a standard club out of your bag for this one?

Update:
I am still loving this club. I have replaced my sand wedge and my 60* wedge with this club. My short game has improved and I am no longer hitting it from one side of the green to another.

I now start out my practice sessions with this club. I hit about ten balls with it to get the hands forward feeling ingrained. The forward shaft lean on the OPW encourages this type of swing and I have found it carries over to my other clubs as well. It is almost as if a training aid is built into the club. I get flippy with the hands and OPW is helping eliminate that swing flaw.

I recently bought new irons and do not have my distances dialed in yet. I have found myself going just past or just in front of the green quite often. This has made the OPW be used more than ever. Shots were I normally would have struggled to decide between putter or a wedge are already decided for me. I just pull the OPW and am confident that I have a chance at holing it or at least getting close for an easy putt.

Update:
I am still loving this club. I have replaced my sand wedge and my 60* wedge with this club. My short game has improved and I am no longer hitting it from one side of the green to another.

I now start out my practice sessions with this club. I hit about ten balls with it to get the hands forward feeling ingrained. The forward shaft lean on the OPW encourages this type of swing and I have found it carries over to my other clubs as well. It is almost as if a training aid is built into the club. I get flippy with the hands and OPW is helping eliminate that swing flaw.

I recently bought new irons and do not have my distances dialed in yet. I have found myself going just past or just in front of the green quite often. This has made the OPW be used more than ever. Shots were I normally would have struggled to decide between putter or a wedge are already decided for me. I just pull the OPW and am confident that I have a chance at holing it or at least getting close for an easy putt.
Is it legal for play. Did you get to do the comparison.

It is legal for play. I get a quicker stop from the OPW than the niblick, which I like. I was only able to borrow the niblick on the range and used it at the chipping green. Since I was already used to OPW I didn't think I could truly judge the niblick based on a one session trial. I do think the OPW takes much less time to master. You really can't hit it wrong. This has left me more time to practice the other problems with my game.

I have to ask how this takes less time to "master"? It is virtually the same stroke being put on the ball with the two to perform the same function. Yet the Niblick also offers far more versatility in that it can be used for bunker shots, full swings, trouble shots, etc...

I have to ask how this takes less time to "master"? It is virtually the same stroke being put on the ball with the two to perform the same function. Yet the Niblick also offers far more versatility in that it can be used for bunker shots, full swings, trouble shots, etc...

It looks interesting, but I am going to have to agree with JB on this. It looks like it would be a 1 trick pony, and while it may work as a training tool, to make you feel more comfortable with your short game, at the range, I do not think I would replace one of the wedges in my bag with it.

I don't think I could use this club, but hey, if it works for someone, more power to them.
Different strokes....

I found it easier because the club is always in the perfect position at set up due to the wide mallet style head and forward shaft lean. It puts you in the perfect swing position.the alignment aid is huge. I am not trying to say it is better than the niblick. I already posted that I have had too little exerience with it. I found OPW easy to use and was already use to it. I am not taking anything away from the niblick.

I found it easier because the club is always in the perfect position at set up due to the wide mallet style head and forward shaft lean. It puts you in the perfect swing position.the alignment aid is huge. I am not trying to say it is better than the niblick. I already posted that I have had too little exerience with it. I found OPW easy to use and was already use to it. I am not taking anything away from the niblick.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am still a little confused. How is one not in the perfect position with the Niblick/any club? Do you mean to far back or forward ball position? That would seem to still be possible with any club.

Very interesting wedge...I don't know if I could use it on a regular basis but if it works for you I would keep it in the bag. Nice review.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I am still a little confused. How is one not in the perfect position with the Niblick/any club? Do you mean to far back or forward ball position? That would seem to still be possible with any club.

When I set the OPW on the ground it will almost stand up with a little bit of help. I found that my hands are already in a perfect position. I have a problem with always getting my hands thru first. With my other clubs, this becomes another swing thought for me. I don't get those handsy wedge shots anymore. I think that as I become a better player this type of club wont be needed. I did think the niblick looked pretty cool. I love all of my Cleveland gear. For me, right now, this club is helping lower my scores.

I

Back