Favorite Myrtle Beach courses

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
I have a Myrtle Beach golf vacation set for the first week of April. We plan on getting in 6 rounds while we're there. The package we have includes these 3 courses..Wicked Stick...Myrtlewood...and The Witch. I'm looking for your best courses other than these 3 which I'm tied into. I'd appreciate any reccomendations you may have as I've never golfed there before.

Any of the Legends golf courses are very nice. The Moorland course is a Pete Dye design and has been ranked one of the 50 toughest golf courses in the US...if you're looking for a challenge. They also have a very nice driving range and chipping area at the Legends. Another really nice course is Thistle, but it's about 40 minutes north of MB just over the NC line.

Always like Myrtle Beach National. But good call on Legends

For me an MB trip is incomplete w/o playing Caledonia on the Southern end of the Strand. It's sister course, True Blue is also a worthy play. Overall I feel MB solves for quantity over quality so the stand outs are not as many as you would expect. That said there are plenty of fun tracks, the Legends course are nice, I actually prefer the Parkland to the Heathland and Moorland, MB National is typically in good condition but only has a stand out hole or two. Looking for fun tracks consider the following:

The Dunes
Tidewater
Barefoot Resort - Love and Dye courses
Rivers Edge

The Legends Resort is fantastic. All of the courses are very nice and I love the driving range.

The Dunes Golf and Beach Club (not to be confused with Grande Dunes)
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club

Long Bay - was one of the coolest layouts I've ever played.

I own a condo at Legends, so I'm partial to their three courses. Healthland is the easiest, Moorland the more unique experience, Parkland is a BEAR from the back tees.

Other MB favorites of mine (in no particular order):

Leopard's Chase
Tidewater
True Blue
Caledonia
TPC of Myrtle Beach
Oyster Bay
Heritage Club
Dunes
Barefoot Love
Tiger's Eye

I'm probably gonna head down with the guys the first or second week of March... can't wait. Have fun!

My new personal favorite is about 20 minutes above the North Carolina line.

http://www.river18.com/

I also recommend

Leopard's Chase
Long Bay
Tiger's Eye
King's North
The Pearl - East&West
Sandpiper Bay
Sea Trail - all 3 courses
Oyster Bay
Crow Creek

I usually stay in North Myrtle Beach and most of these courses are on the north end. All of these are good layouts with River's Edge being the best to me.

My top 3 are...

Long Bay
Man O'War
The Wizard

For me an MB trip is incomplete w/o playing Caledonia on the Southern end of the Strand. It's sister course, True Blue is also a worthy play. Overall I feel MB solves for quantity over quality so the stand outs are not as many as you would expect. That said there are plenty of fun tracks, the Legends course are nice, I actually prefer the Parkland to the Heathland and Moorland, MB National is typically in good condition but only has a stand out hole or two. Looking for fun tracks consider the following:

The Dunes
Tidewater
Barefoot Resort - Love and Dye courses
Rivers Edge

I completely agree with this post. I've played slews of the courses down there and for the past 6 years our group has been staying and playing at True Blue and Caledonia. I also find that there's much better food in Myrle's Inlet as opposed to all the buffet crap in Myrtle and North Myrtle.

To be honest with you Pirate, Wicked Stick blows. It's too croweded, it's always windy as all get out and it's long, and that's it. It's not layed out that cool at all. Trust me, treat yourself to a round at Caledonia buddy, then hang out on the porch over looking 18 green and watch golfer after golfer leave balls in the water.

I had a great time at Wicked Stick. It us a very forgiving course. Not in the best shape though. I lived in the Cherry Grove area when I had a store down there 15 years ago. I did enjoy the wizard and I believe a course called Indian river was nice too. The Legends were all very good.

I completely agree with this post. I've played slews of the courses down there and for the past 6 years our group has been staying and playing at True Blue and Caledonia. I also find that there's much better food in Myrle's Inlet as opposed to all the buffet crap in Myrtle and North Myrtle.

To be honest with you Pirate, Wicked Stick blows. It's too croweded, it's always windy as all get out and it's long, and that's it. It's not layed out that cool at all. Trust me, treat yourself to a round at Caledonia buddy, then hang out on the porch over looking 18 green and watch golfer after golfer leave balls in the water.

Did you write that article for Golf Digest?

Can't go wrong with The Dunes or TPC for sure. Thistle Golf Club is an amazing links style course and stands out to me from the ones we played over the years. Heather Glen is another awesome course with a great layout and was in excellent condition. Rivers Edge and Carolina National a few miles North of Myrtle are two excellent courses as well.

Also, I will second what someone said about Wicked Stick... We were excited to play that course the first year we went down there and couldn't have been more disappointed after playing it. The course was average at best as far as layout and condition. To me it seemed like more of a way for JD to peddle his overpriced junk on people.

Myrtle Beach? Oh, you mean K-Mart by the Sea...

I'll echo the statements of several others here. While Myrtle seems like a golfer's dream come true its far from it. I can't think of a more touristy town. Its also a town that goes for quantity over quality, not just in the golf but in the restaurants, shops, hotels, etc.

I'd spend a little extra cash and head down to Charleston, SC instead. Tons of great golf, restaurants and hotels.

But since this thread is about Myrtle I'll toss out my course recommendations, all of which have already been named here...

Caledonia
Thistle
True Blue
The Dunes

It's been over 10 years since I've been there but I know I've played about 15 different courses over my visits there. The Dunes sticks out as a great course.
Also, Arnold Palmer's Myrtle Beach National (played all 3 when I was there, I think there's a 4th now) Arcadian Shores, Indigo Creek was okay, Burning Ridge was pretty nice, Blackmoor was very nice

Thanks for the tips.
I'm going to be in MB the last week of March. The first time vacationing with golf clubs. The Witch is the only must play for us. My wife picks based on name or the look of the club house or some other random feature.

How far in advance should we be booking tee times?

BTW... thanks Ole Gray for the tip. :good:

I go to Myrtle about 8 times per year and my favorites are the following:
Grand Dunes Resort Course - Great layout and its not your typical beach course. It has nice contours and not your flat boring layout. Pretty challenging as well.
Fazio course at Barefoot Landing
The Legends course - all are pretty nice layouts
Caledonia Golf & Fish Club - a beach golf trip is not complete with out at least one round here.

All the barefoot courses are great and so are the cats. Stay away from waterway hills unless riding the tram would be the highlight of your day.

2 great courses, but these are worth a look Myrtle Beach TPC and Long Bay and Carolina Shores, Oyster Bay, I've been coming here since the 80's. This year I stayed 2 months and was lucky enough to play some nice courses. Everything is dorment except the tees, greens & fairways. Some courses let everything go dorment and paint everything green and the courses play just about as good as the summer.

Oyster Bay is a great course. I think it often gets overlooked being in NC - although it really isn't that far from Myrtle

Hi - been to MB many times- since this is your first trip here soem advics to help out- many many nice courses and a few crappy ones- i would seriously think about skipping Wicked Stick- not at all nice and pretty plain. - Myrtlewood Palmento is nice - Man of war is nicer than the witch - but some really nice courses to play and reasonable are - the Pearl- east and west- Oyster Bay- very nice- the Love Course at Barefoot landing - the farmstead and crows creek - very very nice and Aberdeen CC. - the river club is nice- all the courses at the ledgends and MB national east and west- Arrowhead - if you want to have a neat experience try the world Tour - exact replica of the famous holes including the masters amen corner #11-#12 and #13- the blue monster and the idland green at #17 TPC- and pinehurst #2- alot of fun - little pricey for some at $100 but watch for online speacial- was $58 after noon
was just there last week and we played aberdeen- the pearl east and west- otster bay- barefoot love course- the ledgends moreland
like i said i woudl substitute any of the MB National Courses instead of Wicked Stick- it is the only course our group will not play again
people are rude - course is plain and just not doesnt compare to the others course down there-
good luck- if you need more info just ask or reply
b

Back