Best Putter for a beginner

cgodwin1

Reaction score
Handicap
I have played for years but always with a mash up of whatever clubs I could find. I am finally piecing together a respectable set thanks to many of you on the WTS equipment forum but will need a putter. Any recommendations? I have recently acquired a Nickent IRons and Hybrid set along with a Nickent Driver.

The honest truth for teh "best" putter for a beginner is as follows:
One of the hundreds of putters at your local store.

Seriously, just go there, spend an afternoon, and roll EVERY single one of them until you can find one that just works.
You can get recommendations based on your misses or your stroke, but in the end, it's whatever works.
Maybe start with one that is pleasing to your eye, and go from there - but that doesn't always hold true.
When my brother was buying his a couple weeks ago, he wanted a "space station" putter (Taylormade Spyder or similar). Those didn't work at all, so we ended up leaving with a Cleveland Classics #4 blade!

Hope this helps.

How much are you looking to spend? That could make a big difference. But most everyone will tell you to just try every putter you can and see what looks and feels best to you.

Moved this one over to Flat Sticks/Putters section.

There are TONS of great option in putters. If you are a beginner, I urge you to find a shape that suits your eye and be cost aware. As you shape your game, you will want to make adjustments and find things that fit you a little better.

whatever feels the best! :) and makes the most putts

I'd suggest first determining what type of putter stroke you have (arc, straight back-straight through). It will most likely be an arc as that is a "natural" stroke. Then you can eliminate half of the putters out there to make your testing a little more manageable.

I saw a good suggestion to use the Odyssey fitting guide on their website here: http://www.odysseygolf.com/Global/en-US/Fitting/PutterFittingModule.html

Feel is a real important aspect. I had a driver that I hit really well but the feel of it was "off" to me. Ended up selling it. Find a store and find a particular style (blade, mallet, etc.) and try different brands. If your not sold on any brand at the moment, I tried a Rife putter the other day and it felt pretty good.

The honest truth for teh "best" putter for a beginner is as follows:
One of the hundreds of putters at your local store.
Seriously, just go there, spend an afternoon, and roll EVERY single one of them until you can find one that just works.
You can get recommendations based on your misses or your stroke, but in the end, it's whatever works.
Maybe start with one that is pleasing to your eye, and go from there - but that doesn't always hold true.
When my brother was buying his a couple weeks ago, he wanted a "space station" putter (Taylormade Spyder or similar). Those didn't work at all, so we ended up leaving with a Cleveland Classics #4 blade!
Hope this helps.

I agree. Go some place where you can demo a wide variety of putters and find one that fits your eye & price range and go from there. Good luck in the search!

Find a demo day or go to your local golf shop. Try many putters and pick the one that suits your eye and gives you confidence. I think I went through 4 or 5 putters when I started out. As your game/stroke progresses you may end up switching to something different. I started with a big mallet and have switched to a classic blade style. I find my distance control on long putts to be easier with a blade.

Anything but a belly putter. Unless you really like the way a belly putter looks, then you should try looking at it differently.
JK, I agree with most everyone else on this. Find a style that is aesthetically pleasing and go from there. If money is a factor(when is it not?) I like to browse ebay putters as there are a lot of good deals there under $10

Putters are ULTRA personal. As said before, the biggest thing is make sure it fits your eye first and foremost. LOTS of affordable options of some GREAT flatsticks out there.

Putter shopping is great fun!

Go try them all, then go to another shop. Then try them all again!

Then fast forward a year or two, and you'll own about 10. :D

if you dont want to spend 300 on a scotty i would go with a Cleveland putter, i think there new for 90 bucks?

depending on budget, head to a pro shop or ask an instructor and try some out--it's really based on the budget and level of your game

Go to a local pro shop and ask to get fitted by the local pro, it will benefit you extremely!

Putting is ALL about feel. I found my flatstick by going to a selectively golf store and just hitting every putter iliked until picking a favorite. Consistency is good too. Try aiming at the lip and observing the manner of the lip outs. A consistent putter should even miss in the same way every time. Hope this helps :)

If i was to say i was planing on buying a Nike Method Core putter as my 2nd putter besides the the one that came with the clubs i bought would it matter?

Another vote for trying them out in store. Bought a putter once online that I liked the look of (Yes! Callie), but on the course I never got used to it. Ended up on eBay within 2 weeks.

The ones I have bought it in store it was a "love at first stroke" thing. It'll feel right in your hands, feel right stroking, and make more putts on the practice green with it.

Putting is ALL about feel. I found my flatstick by going to a selectively golf store and just hitting every putter iliked until picking a favorite. Consistency is good too. Try aiming at the lip and observing the manner of the lip outs. A consistent putter should even miss in the same way every time. Hope this helps :)

If you're good enough to hiit the lip everytime, you don't need to worry about lipouts, because you'll be good enough to hit the hole every time...

Im a big fan of the 2-ball, i would suggest something that is comfortable for you and easy to line up

Like most everybody will say go give them a good roll. Just maybe figure out the length based on your stance. Great deals to be found with all the new clubs coming out.

I think try, try, and try again. Try a bunch of clubs and then make a short list and try them again, this is best way to figure out what is the right "feel" for you. I'd also reccomend looking into a good putter grip. Some of the standard grips may not work for your stroke.

Took my girlfriend to the store to have her try some putters out. She has only gone a couple times with me and will be playing a par 3 this weekend for the first time. She tried a bunch and really liked the Odyssey Rossie so I bought her a used Rossie Devine on Ebay. Would not have picked that for her if I just bought one for her.

Back