Anyone play with cheaters?

We have some cool members at my course. Those are the guys that you dont give your best effort on watching their shots in questionable places on the course.

hate cheaters.

Last edited:
it is frustrating! I have a few friends like that.

wow that guy is a ****** ****** *** ****!!!

One guy I play with its like he's always at a driving range. He hits so many balls you never know which one is truly the ball he's playing. Then after the hole he says "I got par what did everyone else get?" lol

[That really sux. But time will take care of it, hopefully you will be there to see it.

Last edited:

Last edited:
:D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll never forget my tourney i caddied in, a member was penalized on a hole for fluffing his lie, he loses the hole and gets mad the rest of the round. The match reaches the 15th hole and he hits a bad shot from a bad lie and throws his wedge it bounces and hits the caddie (not that hard more of an accident). The match continues to the 18th whole which is 600 yards away from where the club was thrown. The member is ready for his shot and asks where the wedge is to the caddie, and the caddie answers (back where you threw it at me) the member hit a different club, finished the hole, lost the match then drove to get the club. The caddie got paid and nothing was ever said. Dude knew he was wrong

Absolutely Classic!

I'll never forget my tourney i caddied in, a member was penalized on a hole for fluffing his lie, he loses the hole and gets mad the rest of the round. The match reaches the 15th hole and he hits a bad shot from a bad lie and throws his wedge it bounces and hits the caddie (not that hard more of an accident). The match continues to the 18th whole which is 600 yards away from where the club was thrown. The member is ready for his shot and asks where the wedge is to the caddie, and the caddie answers (back where you threw it at me) the member hit a different club, finished the hole, lost the match then drove to get the club. The caddie got paid and nothing was ever said. Dude knew he was wrong
Love it.

I have played with a guy who always gives himself preferred lies because according to a friend of his "...all of the pros do it, they just don't show it on tv..."

I've posted this before, but I'll put it here as well. There's a guy I used to play with that would move his ball (I'm talking about 50+ yards away, not just a foot or two) several times a round. It irritated the crap out of me. There was even a time or two that he would move my ball and put it right behind a tree if I wasn't fast enough to beat him to it. I used to play with him almost every weekend, but last August I had enough and haven't played a round with him since. He's called several times, but I won't answer. I just can't stand to play with someone who cheats that bad. I've also seen him cheat in tournaments. There was one tournament we played in where we were sent off in threesomes and he was put in a cart by himself. I knew right away that he was going to turn in a really good score.

I've posted this before, but I'll put it here as well. There's a guy I used to play with that would move his ball (I'm talking about 50+ yards away, not just a foot or two) several times a round. It irritated the crap out of me. There was even a time or two that he would move my ball and put it right behind a tree if I wasn't fast enough to beat him to it. I used to play with him almost every weekend, but last August I had enough and haven't played a round with him since. He's called several times, but I won't answer. I just can't stand to play with someone who cheats that bad. I've also seen him cheat in tournaments. There was one tournament we played in where we were sent off in threesomes and he was put in a cart by himself. I knew right away that he was going to turn in a really good score.

That is hard to imagine that the guy can sleep at night .... takes all kinds I guess !

I play with a guy who is a bad cheater. Now while he is a good golfer, he can't stand to have a bad round. He'll put a ball in the woods, deep in the woods, and he'll always come out of there with it. It's unreal. I've always told people that it wouldn't surprise me if he hit a yellow ball in the woods, and came out with a blue one saying he found his. Very frustrating.

If taking 2 mulligans a side and not putting anything within 3 feet is cheating, then yes.

That is hard to imagine that the guy can sleep at night .... takes all kinds I guess !

He's done it for so long now, sometimes I think it just comes natural to him. He plays Pro V1s and there have been times where he hit a brand new ball and couldn't find it so he drops another one and he plays that and says that was his original ball. The only thing is I knew exactly where his ball went, so when he plays the other ball, I'll go pick up his true original ball and keep it. I've probably gotten a couple dozen brand new ProV1s by doing that.

The clicker comment is too funny. I take the advice from CaddyShack--don't count and measure by height :)

winter rules year round, fairway , rough, trees yep i played with him.

I have a friend that no matter how far he is away for his 3rd putt he automatically takes it as a gimmie and never scores himself more than a Double bogey. It's frustrating as I call him alot on it but he still does it.

Depending on who I'm playing with, then my rules change. It's like playing cards with "house" rules. We had one course - now closed - that considered coquina as a playable surface. We would treat it like a water hazard but without the penalty, who wants to hit off rocks? Apparently nobody - because the course is closed. With that said, I have one buddy that follows every rule in the book like I'm qualifying for the US Open... I'm surprised he hasn't checked the grooves on my wedges yet. --- or maybe he did & I didn't catch him?

I play with a person that shoots a 77 and puts a 90 in GHIN. Not playing with him this year.

The worst cheaters are the ones that actually think they beat you then you have to remind them of a couple of strokes or lost ball that they seem to forget

I just started playing with this guy from my work who's cheating is starting to get under my skin very badly. Lets call him Goofus.
It first started with the fact Goofus has to move the ball and fudge his lie EVERY SINGLE time. Even if his ball was in the center of the fairway with a slightly uphill lie, he'ld find a way to get an even better lie.

But the biggest thing he does is the 8 foot gimme putts he gives himself. Let's say for example he's on the green but has a very long putt for birdie. Let's say for example his lag putt leaves him 3-8 feet left. It doesn't really matter where it ends up, because he's gonna walk up to his ball and take a half assed swipe at the ball like it's a 6 incher or something. Then when it doesn't go in (which is most of the time) he'll just give a shrug like that was a gimme anyways and sure enough a PAR shows up on the scorecard.

To be honest, My biggest mistake was not saying something the first time I played with him. It's been 3 months and 10 rounds now and it's getting worse and worse.

Last week I hit a great wedge shot to 4 feet away but it was above the hole and I had a very tricky downhill putt that slid left to right. PLUS they had aerated the greens 2 weeks ago so lets be honest, there wasn't a very strong chance I was gonna make this putt. Goofus was below the hole some 20 feet away. He hit putt by the hole and it comes to a stop about a few inches away from mine. As I'm taking a few practice strokes, he walks up and knocks BOTH balls away saying "Its good". He couldn't give himself the putt withouth giving me mine otherwise he looks like a cheater. But now he puts it on me to be an accomplice. I ignored him, put my ball back, and promptly missed the putt.

It drives me crazy when he talks about being a good putter to other people because in my mind I've never seen him hit a 5-8 footer which to me are some of the toughest putts. And he doesn't really have to worry about lag putting either does he? I was taught when I was a kid to get lag putts "inside the grip of your putter" I just didn't know this guys putter was 10 feet tall.

Oh and BTW, last week he decided that on bad greens you can only have two putts max. :banghead:

Now here's the kicker, I normally would have said something a long time ago to this guy. But as I mentioned before he is a co worker. He is VERY high up in the company. We work in different departments but it's like I"m a private in the Navy and he's a General in the army. Bascially I don't know what to do or waht to say. I'm this close to just making an excuse and no longer playing with him weekly. Anybody got any ideas?

The worst cheaters are the ones that actually think they beat you then you have to remind them of a couple of strokes or lost ball that they seem to forget

I agree 100%

You want to mess up your real score fine...but don't tell me you beat me.

We work in different departments but it's like I"m a private in the Navy and he's a General in the army. Bascially I don't know what to do or waht to say. I'm this close to just making an excuse and no longer playing with him weekly. Anybody got any ideas?

Gotta learn how to joke about a topic or deflect it so that the issue isn't him it's you...a la..sir..I'll lose $$ in a few weeks because these guys I play with make me putt everything. Do you mind if I take this opportunity to practice?

Or just say....

I really need the putting practice...I'll take the gimmie but I want to putt it to see if I remember how :D

Back