TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

exactly what I'm seeing as well man....
funny you should ask because I just picked up all of my irons last night after cleaning them to look at that specific thing. I am not seeing much at all, I am seeing some wear around the sweet spot, which just made me grin. I will try to snap a pic tonight.

i was more curious how friendly they are i know all 3 models of the new TP's are Forged and i wanted to know how that came into play. i've never played a forged club before mostly because of all the things i've heard about them being more of a scratch golfers type of club in which i am not ("yet") just haven't had a chance to hit them myself so i was looking for feed back on what to expect when i do get my fingers on them. (they are quite a beautiful looking set though)

well, the CB's are going to be the most friendly option for you. DO not be scared of Forged because quite frankly its only the face on these that are forged. Forging is just the process in which the club is made. below is a picture of these compared to a Cleveland CG7 and you will see that other than the offset, the differences are minimal. If hearing the word forged scares you then I would recommend you go out and test these before buying, but I do think you would be able to hit them just fine. Also, I do want to note that the CG7's are going to give a little more forgiveness. Along with most other GI irons for that matter

P2161474.jpg

well, the CB's are going to be the most friendly option for you. DO not be scared of Forged because quite frankly its only the face on these that are forged. Forging is just the process in which the club is made. below is a picture of these compared to a Cleveland CG7 and you will see that other than the offset, the differences are minimal. If hearing the word forged scares you then I would recommend you go out and test these before buying, but I do think you would be able to hit them just fine. Also, I do want to note that the CG7's are going to give a little more forgiveness. Along with most other GI irons for that matter

P2161474.jpg

This is good info. These offer a decent amount of forgivness and want to launch the ball in the air. Taylormade said at the PGA Show that these were targeted towards 0-20 hcp golfers. They aren't going to mask poor ball striking, but they aren't as unforgiving as a blade or GE iron.

And that covers a lot of golfers/skill sets, etc so these should appeal to many differetn types of players. Assuming these are in their price point, of course
This is good info. These offer a decent amount of forgivness and want to launch the ball in the air. Taylormade said at the PGA Show that these were targeted towards 0-20 hcp golfers. They aren't going to mask poor ball striking, but they aren't as unforgiving as a blade or GE iron.

I hit all 3 of the new TM irons at GG here in Indy the other day and these were the biggest surprise. Loved the forgiveness and the feel. First set of graphite shafted irons that I liked. A winner in my book.

nice Edward. Going to replace the R9's now?
I hit all 3 of the new TM irons at GG here in Indy the other day and these were the biggest surprise. Loved the forgiveness and the feel. First set of graphite shafted irons that I liked. A winner in my book.

Could be. I wanted the MC to be the perfect fit for me, but they weren't. My miss with my irons is a little off the toe-side of the sweet spot. My Mizzy MP-53's didn't like that the R9 TP's don't seem to mind. I have a feeling the CB's don't mind, either. And like I said the TP-90 graphite is the first graphite shafted irons that I couldn't over power. The MC's w/ DG300 were 8 to 10 yards short of the CB. I have switched over the last couple of seasons to lighter weight steel shafts and graphite is the next progression. Is anyone testing the CB w/ TP-90's?

Had a chance to hit these tonight. Is it me or do they CB's have an odd sound to them? It's probably related to the screw in the back, but I couldn't get past it.

... i've never played a forged club before mostly because of all the things i've heard about them being more of a scratch golfers type of club in which i am not ("yet")...

There is nothing to be scared of in a forged iron. I play older Ben Hogan forged irons and I'm not "good" enough to play these. I hosestly don't think that these clubs are dampering my scrores at all. I actually play much better with these than I do with SGI irons, (Nike Sasquatch Sumo).

cant wait to try these bad boys..I have been following the Taylormade CB and MC threads on here the last couple weeks. I had to sign up on THP! I hope TM puts these in there fitting cart when they come out ASAP... Im Tall 6"8 and have to extend my irons a 1"1/2 and 4* up. so the regular stock irons wouldnt be a good test for me.

One-T
Two questions for you. We were discussing in the other thread about the effect of matts on ball flight. Being someone who has put these on grass and now back onto a matt, did you see any changes in the ball flight? Do you feel that it changes the feel of the irons at all? Also- On mishits, have you had any "stingers", or is it just good feedback without a punishing feel.

Hawk
How's the shoulder doing?

Had a chance to hit these tonight. Is it me or do they CB's have an odd sound to them? It's probably related to the screw in the back, but I couldn't get past it.

I have played them up against just about every iron out or coming out and just dont hear the odd sound. In fact like the sound quite a bit.

Not seeing that either and I posted a vid that you could hear the sound pretty well. Not sure what the screw would do related to sound anyway.

cant wait to try these bad boys..I have been following the Taylormade CB and MC threads on here the last couple weeks. I had to sign up on THP! I hope TM puts these in there fitting cart when they come out ASAP... Im Tall 6"8 and have to extend my irons a 1"1/2 and 4* up. so the regular stock irons wouldnt be a good test for me.

Welcome to THP! I love to see new folks join because they read these threads.

One-T
Two questions for you. We were discussing in the other thread about the effect of matts on ball flight. Being someone who has put these on grass and now back onto a matt, did you see any changes in the ball flight? Do you feel that it changes the feel of the irons at all? Also- On mishits, have you had any "stingers", or is it just good feedback without a punishing feel.

Hawk

Shoulder is getting better-ish. I've been taking Aleve and now can lift my arm above my head without pain. Still probably going to rest it another week so it's completely better.

So far for me, no. In fact I really like the sound of a well struck shot so far. 'Crack' can be addictive

Maybe the sound seems odd b/c it's just different? They certainly offer a unique sound.

Overall, did you like the irons?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

actually the more I think of this...I think the screw has absolutely nothing to do with the sound. If anything I think it would actually act like a dampener for sound as it helps get the ball into the air. The sound could be from the fact that these aren't built like a GI iron so there's less mass in the club head to absorb a lot of sound so there's going to be more auditory feedback. Maybe. I think.

Could be. I wanted the MC to be the perfect fit for me, but they weren't. My miss with my irons is a little off the toe-side of the sweet spot. My Mizzy MP-53's didn't like that the R9 TP's don't seem to mind. I have a feeling the CB's don't mind, either. And like I said the TP-90 graphite is the first graphite shafted irons that I couldn't over power. The MC's w/ DG300 were 8 to 10 yards short of the CB. I have switched over the last couple of seasons to lighter weight steel shafts and graphite is the next progression. Is anyone testing the CB w/ TP-90's?

I have the TT XP's and they are a light shaft, I think it is the stock stiff flex in the CB's. Give them a swing with those shafts in them, I think you will walk away impressed.

I personally love the sound. Its something I havent heard in an iron.

Man, I bet its hard for you to test irons out before you buy. I hope you get a chance to swing these puppies.

One-T

Hawk

I didnt notice a difference in ball flight, I am not a sweeper though, So, I typically try to get ball first contact...but I am sure that the ball to mat interaction is different than the ball to turf interation. I just didnt see any differences in flight. Also, I didnt feel a difference in the irons on the mats, nor was the sound the same. In other words, Going from mat to grass I did not see any differences. I hope that helps.

I have hit a few stingers, but it only comes when I do not take my time on my swing(whihc I tend to do on the range). They are few and far between. But I will say that these irons give great feedback on mishits.

Maybe the sound seems odd b/c it's just different? They certainly offer a unique sound.

Overall, did you like the irons?

Maybe different is the right word.

actually the more I think of this...I think the screw has absolutely nothing to do with the sound. If anything I think it would actually act like a dampener for sound as it helps get the ball into the air. The sound could be from the fact that these aren't built like a GI iron so there's less mass in the club head to absorb a lot of sound so there's going to be more auditory feedback. Maybe. I think.

I was just simply throwing out a potential reason being the screw/weight.

FYI....I play the VR Pro Combos, so I wasn't expecting the CB's to have the dull muted/zero FB type feel/sound. Maybe I'm just used to playing solid forged constructed irons, I did think the 3 and 4 on my set had an odd feel/sound to them with the slot at first as well. I didn't think they were bad BTW. When I first saw them months ago I was turned off by the weight port, thinking it's just to keep with the TM theme of some kind of screw/bolt they seem to be putting on all their clubs. You don't see it at address though so thats a good thing. Overall they are pretty decent irons, I don't put much weight on simulator numbers but the distance was on par with my VR's. Forgiveness the CB's may have a slight edge (for me). I don't want anyone jumping on me saying the CB's are 10x's more forgiving than what I'm currently gaming, I'm prefacing it by saying "for me". Feel, my VR's win hands down.

Last edited:
I was just simply throwing out a potential reason being the screw/weight.

FYI....I play the VR Pro Combos, so I wasn't expecting the CB's to have the dull muted/zero FB type feel/sound. Maybe I'm just used to playing solid forged constructed irons. I didn't think they were bad BTW. When I first saw them months ago I was turned off by the weight port, thinking it's just to keep with the TM theme of some kind of screw/bolt they seem to be putting on all their clubs. You don't see it at address though so thats a good thing. Overall they are pretty decent irons, I don't put much weight on simulator numbers but the distance was on par with my VR's. I don't get into the whole "hit a 6 iron 220yds" type thing, irons are for accuracy, not distance. Forgiveness the CB's may have a slight edge (for me). I don't want anyone jumping on me saying the CB's are 10x's more forgiving than what I'm currently gaming, I'm prefacing it by saying "for me". Feel, my VR's win hands down.

I think those are all fair comments and I truly appreciate you coming in here and sharing your findings with us.

how can I be picked to try them out?

Overton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

hmmmmm, I will let you figure that one out on your own

They were already chosen my friend. As long as you stick around THP and keep on contributing, possibilities are going to come up!

how can I be picked to try them out?

Hope I didn't overstep any bounds.

I think those are all fair comments and I truly appreciate you coming in here and sharing your findings with us.

I was just simply trying to determine if there was enough added forgiveness to warrant a consideration. No real point to go to the MC's, those are like the splits in my set and then what the hell is the point. I suppose for those who like the combo thing TM could make a set out of all 3 tour preferred offerings (if it's allowed).

It is allowed

Back