The Morgan Cup - Want to be a Tour Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got everything ready for this just got to get to 500! "Got a long way to go and a short time to get there"

you and everybody else :act-up:

Just got back from my daily 90 minute short-game practice. I feel like I had a nice breakthrough with my wedges so I'm excited about my round on Monday. I know how hard biggsy is working on his game and to be honest, it fuels my fire a little bit. I think that 90% of my practice time from here on out will be on the chipping/putting green. I've learned one thing from playing rounds of golf with JB and that's that a killer short game is never out of a golf hole, ever.

I'm really getting excited about getting the other participants on board for this event. Can't believe we still have a couple of weeks to go for that.

You must be single or have no kids with a daily 90 minute short-game practice. i mean how long is your 3 wood practice? Hehe. Must be nice.

You must be single or have no kids with a daily 90 minute short-game practice. i mean how long is your 3 wood practice? Hehe. Must be nice.

He is married and has a son. 90 minutes isn't that long if you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back from my daily 90 minute short-game practice. I feel like I had a nice breakthrough with my wedges so I'm excited about my round on Monday. I know how hard biggsy is working on his game and to be honest, it fuels my fire a little bit. I think that 90% of my practice time from here on out will be on the chipping/putting green. I've learned one thing from playing rounds of golf with JB and that's that a killer short game is never out of a golf hole, ever.

I'm really getting excited about getting the other participants on board for this event. Can't believe we still have a couple of weeks to go for that.

Im with ya - its going to be my focus most of the spring. I am going to try and spend atleast 3 days a week on short game. I think its what my game is really lacking at this point. I focused on driving and my full swing last year (correction mostly) now it time to fix the short.

I just know if I somehow get enough posts and manage to be one of the lucky ones, my team will dominate.

What a gorgeous morning here in the great state of NC. I woke up early and headed over to my prqactice facility to get my short game work in. I can hit a 5 iron from my yard to the 5th hole at a private club here in Ash-Vegas and I use the practice facilities there. It's quite nice actually, and amazingly, members there rarely practice which I find odd.

I focused mostly on putting this morning and hitting 80 - 100 yard shots. I love how prepared I'm getting for this even in February. I'll be tee'ing it up tomorrow and I have a good feeling about my round.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

What a gorgeous morning here in the great state of NC. I woke up early and headed over to my prqactice facility to get my short game work in. I can hit a 5 iron from my yard to the 5th hole at a private club here in Ash-Vegas and I use the practice facilities there. It's quite nice actually, and amazingly, members there rarely practice which I find odd.

I focused mostly on putting this morning and hitting 80 - 100 yard shots. I love how prepared I'm getting for this even in February. I'll be tee'ing it up tomorrow and I have a good feeling about my round.

Great stuff TC, sounds like your short game is going to be sick!

My next golf purchase will be a shag bag and a bunch of practice balls to use at one of the local courses. None of them really have a "short game" area so I may have to be creative how I work on my wedge play. Putting is another thing that I need to really work on. I am "close" but close wont cut it on the 18th to win a match.

If I make it into this event, I WILL be a solid single digit by august. Gotta rep the <80 rounds with pride on the line.

TC, if you stick with that short game regimen you will become a scratch golfer.

Kevin

TC, if you stick with that short game regimen you will become a scratch golfer.

Kevin

That would be my plan for 2011, but I have a ways to go.

If you're lucky enough to get on one of the Morgan Cup squads, how will it change how you approach your Summer golf? Or your Summer in general?

Kevin

If you're lucky enough to get on one of the Morgan Cup squads, how will it change how you approach your Summer golf? Or your Summer in general?

Kevin

If I were able to play in August I would be busting my a$$ all summer.

I already planned to work on my game pretty hard. I have some golf lessons I recieved for Christmas that I am going to use soon. I want to take what I learn from those and keep improving. If I make one of the teams, my focus will go into overdrive on getting better and more complete.

If I were able to play in August I would be busting my a$$ all summer.

Anything in particular, Hawk? Knowing it is match play, and one round will be a scramble, is there one or two real weaknesses that require special attention?

Kevin

Kevin

90% focus on the shortgame, as much tournament golf as possible, play rounds with my brother and constantly be filming each other (to get use to swinging on camera), and most importantly, make myself as uncomfortable as possible in as many rounds as possible. What I mean by that is, not play with the same couple of guys all year. I may venture to a few random clubs and just join up with folks, maybe play in a few more money games.

He is married and has a son. 90 minutes isn't that long if you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is if he is practicing other stuff such as irons or driving the ball. He said the 90 mins was only for short game practice.

Kevin

I plan on taking a batch of lessons early on, but if I get to play in this I'll be playing a bunch all season under pressure and likely another set of lessons closer to time.

It is if he is practicing other stuff such as irons or driving the ball. He said the 90 mins was only for short game practice.

I spent my 90 minute session today working on putting (about an hour) and then shots from 80 - 100 yards. I'm fortunate in that I have somewhere to practice that's literally a 2 minute drive.

Solid chipping can really bring the heat in match play. Cozying one up in gimme range makes the hole look awfully small for the opponent.

If in this shindig, I'll be working on that and all putts inside 10'. Hours and hours of putting like that. I would also be looking for at least 10 yards off the tee. From JB's comments when asked about the length of the courses, I'm thinking 10 or 15 more yards would take the long irons out my hands.

I also would need to lose at least 20 pounds.

Kevin

Kevin

Great question Kevin, if I am lucky enough to get in, my practice will change in that I will enter more tournaments before the event. I have already set up a ton of lessons and I want to be a single digit handicapper before the end of the summer, but this will make me practice harder to be a single digit capper by the Morgan cup. I will be spending the majority of the time on driving the ball and putting. I'm very happy right now with iron and hybrid play, as well as my pitching and chipping. Putting and Driving is where I lose the most strokes during a round. I think it would also change the way I demo equipment at the outing in May. I would be spending more time I think on making sure that the equipment I picked would be perfect for my game with all that is avaliable to demo. It is hard to find a good fitter here so I would almost be looking at doing most of my "fitting there".

Oh, and I imagine my smack talk will be honed to a razr's edge.

Kevin

I'll practice a lot more if/when I get into the morgan cup. I need to improve the short game a lot with a focus on putting. I want to get my putting to under 30 a round. Last year my avg was 32 or 33 putts per round.
I'd like to learn how to flight the ball lower as well as I tend to hit the ball crazy high.

Oh, and I imagine my smack talk will be honed to a razr's edge.

Kevin

Yep, better allow time for making a few video's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back