Do you leave the pin in, or take it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the time I leave the pin in, now a flat level roll at it from off the green I may pull it.

I read somewhere that statistically leaving it in helps more than pulling it so I leave it in almost always

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I can't remember which pro I heard say this, but it's always stuck with me [paraphrased to the best of my recollection]:

"I figure there is a reason the rules don't let you leave the pin in when you are on the green. It must provide some advantage. So I always leave the pin in whenever I can."

+1 Exactly!!!

I can't remember which pro I heard say this, but it's always stuck with me [paraphrased to the best of my recollection]:

"I figure there is a reason the rules don't let you leave the pin in when you are on the green. It must provide some advantage. So I always leave the pin in whenever I can."

I heard the same thing and leave the pin in. My dad always takes it out saying he need more room for his ball to drop in?

In, out, doesn't bother me, I'm putting it in the hole either way :D

Pretty much the only time I take the pin out of the hole is when I am playing outside of my normal group. Helps speed up a play a little bit as we normally play "ready golf".

Flag is out for me when when imam going for the pin. The only way I leave it in is if I am chipping down hill and I am worried that the ball might be going fast. In this case I feel benifits of the flag in to slow the ball down is greater than the chance I might chip it in.

I Tapped, I Talked

Always in for me. Anything can happen on a chip and I want as much junk in the way as possible to stop the ball if something goes wrong.

"Take the Pin out, then throw the Grenade"
-Military Training Manual

Last edited:
There are different scenarios that factor into my decision. Here are some situations that prompt me to leave it in, if my ball is sitting down in deeper rough around the green it stays in to help knock the ball down if its hit at the hole since its hard to hit those shot with a consistant pace. Also chipping from a downhill lie or having to chip into a downhill slope on the green it stays in, again based on the fact that if you make a mistake and put to much pace on the ball the flagstick can act as your backstop. Now some examples and reasoning of when i pull the pin. If I have a clean lie around the green and Im chipping into a flat or mostly flat green the pin comes out. If Im chipping from an uphill lie or into an uphill slope on the green the pin comes out. In any situation where Im off the green and putting the ball the pin comes out, with exception of a severe downhill slope when I know there is little to no chance of stopping the ball near the hole in which case I use my flagstick backstop theory. My reasoning for the examples of when I take the pin out is this, if your shot has a reasonable chance of getting near to or in the hole you would be better served removing the pin and the reason being is that the pin is more likley to prevent your ball from going in the hole than it is to help it. The pin creates a solid barrier for your ball to deflect off of creating very inconsistant results whereas an open unimpeded hole will give you predictable consistant results every time. Not trying to say everyone should do this but this is my reasoning for doing what I do in each situation. Good thread, its interesting to see everyones train of thought when placed in a certain situation.

If I am playing a par 3 by myself or with my son, I usually leave it in if I am trying to get 9 in before dark. Any other time I will take the pin out.

I leave it in, it has given me a few birds, rather than blazin past the hole on a too hard chip.

I always leave the pin in whenever I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back