• Sometimes

Votes: 33 14.2%

• Total voters

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
Last year I started hitting my tee shots with my irons off the deck. I read somewhere that this was a great way to gain consistency and control as 99% of the time on the course you are hitting your irons w/o a tee. Why change it by using a tee? Thoughts? Anyone currently do this when they put the big dogs back in the bag or on par 3's ?

I do it sometimes, Depending on the shot I need to hit. It had helped my fairway contact a bunch.

From the iPhone.

IMO if using a tee wasn't an advantage then they would let you use one all the time. I tee it up whenever I can.

I do use a tee if teeing off with an iron. Why change it? I do because I believe it to be a tad easier to catch the ball cleanly and hit a nice crisp shot. Also reduces the changes of catching one fat. I definitely understand the point in your post but I view it as a helpful tool that I will take advantage of.....and I need all the help I can get!

it completely depends on the grass and tee conditions. If I can get a fluffy lie then I dont use a tee. One reason I think its good to tee it up is, its an advantage. I mean, golf is hard enough, take all advantages you can. It will make the ball go higher and land softer.

While it may help you practice for those shots off the fairway, isn't that what range sessions do too?

When on the course, you look for all the best ways to keep your score low. Teeing it up gives you a perfect lie every time, so why not take that advantage?

I think it was Hogan that always talked about using a tee on par 3's. I think the line was "it's the only time you can cheat during a round without a penalty, so do it!" Why wouldn't you use an advantage? Even on a fluffy lie, I use one just to make sure the ball doesn't settle or move during my backswing.

I always tee it up if I'm able to....even if it's ever so slightly

Never give up the opportunity to have a perfect lie. Use the tee.

I'll rarely do it. But when I do it usually depends on the holes angle.

I agree with the tee it up folks, who am I to argue with Ben Hogan?

Tee it up, I need all the help I can get and if this helps with my confidence then I'm going to hit a better shot too!

I always tee it up, but only about 1/8" above the grass. Basically as low as possible while still using a tee.

I tee it up any chance I get.

Most of the time I tee it up but I have gone away from the tee for the same reason you started this discussion. I feel like most of the time I am hitting without a tee and doing pretty well, why change it at the tee box.

I was actaully watching the tourney last weekend and saw Fred Couples prop is ball up on what looked like a piece of someones divot, didn't know that was legal.

I think it was Hogan that always talked about using a tee on par 3's. I think the line was "it's the only time you can cheat during a round without a penalty, so do it!" Why wouldn't you use an advantage? Even on a fluffy lie, I use one just to make sure the ball doesn't settle or move during my backswing.

I think some guy named Nicklaus said the same thing. He was decent at this game. Thus, I always tee it up on par 3's.

Tee. I take every chance I can get for a perfect lie.

I agree - tee it up whenever possible.
I find though that sometimes I'll end up hitting pop-flies and not really doing much. That could probably do with teeing it too high. I know people say right between being on the ground, and off the ground, but I tend to tee it to the height of my finger when I'm pressing the tee into the ground [generally half an inch?].

It all depends on how I am hitting my irons that day. If I am hitting them good when in the fairway then I will not tee it up.

I would never pass up the opportunity to use a tee!

I tee it ever so slightly with my irons. I have hit my wedges off the deck on extremely short par3's but more than likely I'm using a tee.

Tap before talk.

I was going to quote the "use the tee" posts but I would be quoting nearly every one of these posts!

It's a no-brainer to use a tee any chance you can.

I was going to quote the "use the tee" posts but I would be quoting nearly every one of these posts!

It's a no-brainer to use a tee any chance you can.

There.
If you are not teeing it up on par 3s just to get more practice for fairway shots, then it's only at the most 4 times a round. Doesn't seem that's going to help much.

I tee it up low with a driver and no tee with the irons. I feel like I have to take a different swing. It's wrong I'm sure and I'm gonna look at changing this habit. I always seem to catch the ball to high on the iron face when I tee it up.

Completely understand the positions of everyone who responded - I just find I can control the ball flight and direction more without one. This is something I just started doing last year - and it helped. Handicap went from 18 to at one point 10. Especially on par 3's, my scoring average dropped considerably.

Back