TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Review Thread

About 1/4 of the way down page 4 you will see my unboxing pics of these irons. One of those pics should be what you're looking for, if not I can definitely get you a different look just let me know specifically what you're looking to see.

P4B, thanks but I was looking for a pic not as close up. I am curious at how the MB's rounded toe is compared to the Titleist MB's toe. I love the Titleist look and to me that is very important. The more I like the look of a club the more confidence I have.

About 1/4 of the way down page 4 you will see my unboxing pics of these irons. One of those pics should be what you're looking for, if not I can definitely get you a different look just let me know specifically what you're looking to see.

I just saw your post I will snap one tonight from further back.

Here are some pics Hokie hopefully you can see what you wanted. The toe line is a very classic rounded shape. The toe height would be considered medium in my opinion. It's really hard to tell with Camera angles. On the left is the TM 5i, the right is a Nike VR TW Blade 5i.

Compare001.jpg

Compare002.jpg

Thanks JRod, looks good and I can not wait to see them in person.

so Jake, what irons were you gaming before these? I forget

Jrod, they almost look smaller than the TW blade. Am I just seeing things?

so Jake, what irons were you gaming before these? I forget
Since September I have had the Burner 2.0s in my bag, prior to that I had Mizuno MP-57s for about 3 seasons. Just before those I had Nike Pro Combos for 4 years or so.

Since September I have had the Burner 2.0s in my bag, prior to that I had Mizuno MP-57s for about 3 seasons. Just before those I had Nike Pro Combos for 4 years or so.

wow, so how are these comparing...what are the plus and minus' you are seeing so far?

Jrod, they almost look smaller than the TW blade. Am I just seeing things?

They are slightly smaller Yocc , noticeably in the heel and toe. The camera angles make it really hard to tell.

wow, so how are these comparing...what are the plus and minus' you are seeing so far?

What he said. Jake? Are you there Jake?

Reactions: JB
hahaha...I have been trying.

Maybe he's out hitting and getting us answers as we post.

Tapatalk: not just for staffers.

Maybe he's crying in a dark room. You know, Tiger lost yesterday.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

They compare very similarly to the MP-57s as far as distance goes, almost spot on really. Feel wise I like the feel I'm getting from the MBs better than the Mizunos and really the MBs are no more difficult to hit than those were and they were a "Players Cavity" so that's saying a lot.

They compare very similarly to the MP-57s as far as distance goes, almost spot on really. Feel wise I like the feel I'm getting from the MBs better than the Mizunos and really the MBs are no more difficult to hit than those were and they were a "Players Cavity" so that's saying a lot.

very cool. I like the look sof these but I just know I would be scared to hosel rocket one. Props to you for hitting them well....and Jrod

I played my first round in the simulator with the TaylorMade Tour Preferred MBs today. I had been looking forward to it a lot and they did not disappoint at all. Let's see...where to start.

Well first of all distance accuracy on this simulator seems to be about spot on with what you'd expect to see on a real golf course for a shot of that distance. The irons I hit in the simulator are usually right what I would expect to hit from a similar distance on the course. Off the tee I seem to get very similar numbers as well so I have am pretty comfortable saying that the numbers stack up fairly well.

I don't know why but today I had more 8 iron shots than I can remember in a long long time. 150 is a stock smooth 8 iron for me and I can usually stretch one to around 160 before I start looking to move up to a 7. Several times today I had distances between 145 and 160 into the green and I felt very comfortable in the fact that a good smooth 8 iron covered the distances very good for me.

Today we played Augusta National and I found myself on hole 12 with the yardage to the pin reading 157, I pulled the 8 iron of course and put a pretty good swing on it, 155 yards but slightly pulled so I was way over to the left of the green with 93 feet between me and the hole. One decent lag putt and a drained 8 footer I walked off with par. I finally got to see exactly what a moderately poorly struck iron shot would do on the 16th hole we had a distance of 162, the hole showed slightly downhill so rather than trying to ease off a 7 I decided to hammer an 8 and hit it well out in front of the iron off toward the toe, the ball still went high but came up WELL short (25 yards) and covered 137 total. Anyone who knows Augusta knows that this mean H2O and a drop. Dropped the ball at the front of the tee box and was left with 152, same 8 iron only smooth this time found me on the green 25 feet from the hole. So lesson here kids, don't try to kill a blade iron because if you miss it you will get wet.

Backing up a bit to some longer irons I had 210 uphill into the green on a par 5 (we were playing the white tees....not Masters tees thank you!) and I smoothed a 4 iron, it came off right on the sweet spot and as I was loving the feel of that shot I watched as the ball carried 218 and I ended up on the backside of the green.

I had 2 other par 5s where I found myself with a 5 iron into the green (13 and 15) hole 13 I straight snapped hooked one into the bushes and flowers on the left and hacked my way to a 7 after sitting perfectly off the tee. Hole 15 I was 185 out and it was just a shade downhill, my 5 iron was struck very well, carried it 192 just off the back side of that green, little chip shot to 5 feet, walked off with a birdie.

I know I'm jumping all over the place but I'm just putting it down as I remember the shots but I was very happy with the distances I was seeing today. I was still very unsure of distances with the Burner 2.0 irons as I looked to try to adapt but in a fraction of the time I feel that I have already adapted more to the distances I'm seeing with the MBs. They are almost spot on with what I had gotten very used to with the Mizuno MP-57 irons that I had, another comparison to those irons is that I'm finding the playability of the MBs very similar if not even a slightly easier to hit than the MP-57 irons. I had those irons for 3 seasons and was deathly afraid of the 4 iron, I've had the MBs in my bag now for what, 2 weeks and I'm loving the 4 iron.

Obviously because I was in a simulator I have no feedback as to how the ball reacted when hitting the greens but I am still hoping for a trip to Omaha within the next week to 10 days for some golf so keep your fingers crossed for some 50 degree temps!

nice review Jake, it was cool seeing how you chose to play things and the outcomes. sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for the feedback

real nice review p4b! I think the lesson you learned about not trying to hit a hard 8 but instead an easy 7 is something that I will have to learn as well with the MCs. I think it will probably help my game to be able to do that more often. Sounds like the distances are pretty solid with these sticks. How was the feedback when you hit that 8 iron out on the toe, did it sting the hands?

Glad to hear they're suiting you well. I hope you get to make it on the green grass soon as well. It's looking like 50's are expected for ya.

Just make sure that when you try to feather the 7 instead of the 8 that you don't decelerate.

real nice review p4b! I think the lesson you learned about not trying to hit a hard 8 but instead an easy 7 is something that I will have to learn as well with the MCs. I think it will probably help my game to be able to do that more often. Sounds like the distances are pretty solid with these sticks. How was the feedback when you hit that 8 iron out on the toe, did it sting the hands?
Zero stingers today. I hit that 8 iron way off the toe and didn't realize how poorly I had hit it until after I looked at the mark on the face. So that was nice, again very similar to the MP-57 actually.

Just make sure that when you try to feather the 7 instead of the 8 that you don't decelerate.
Today's free iron lesson brought to you by Up & Down with Lefty and Jake, part of The Tour Spot on THP! You're dead on right about that though too dude, that is such a good tip and something that used to kill me!

Back