thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm having a pretty good laugh every time someone makes a crack here about expensive putters. Some of these same people go out and spend $300/$400 on a driver and change that out say every couple years without blinking an eye, but wouldn't dare spend $200/$300 on a putter that they will use at least 30 to 40 times a round as compared to the driver they might hit 16 times at most.

There's nothing wrong with a $20 putter, nothing at all if it does the job. But likewise, if a $300 putter feels great, gives you confidence and get's the ball in the hole then why is that a problem?

IMO it's because the 300$ putters are at that price point for prestige and not for function...

I have had my putter for 7 years and have no plans to change it. I still always check out putters when I am in a golf shop or store because you never know. However I know whenever I buy a driver that I will be using it for 2 years at the most, I guess our full swing changes much more than our putting stroke. When I look at equipment I am looking for what works best, not what cost less.

I used to be so opposed to Scotty Cameron (lets be honest due, its the first company that comes to mind). I felt that his putters were top quality and stuff but I turned up my nose at the putters soley because of the price. I thought people were fools to spend that amount of money on a putter. I felt that as long as the putter is fitted to the player, then a hockey stick would work. And my putter collection reflects that, it's an orphange of Ebay rejects that had some character that I found charming about it. All are ugly and old, but all of them are fitted to me and I can roll each one immediatly without really having to change my stroke.

But the putter I'm currently gaming now is a Scotty Cameron Pro PLatinum Newport Mid Slant. I bought it used off ebay for $100 bucks. (its 10 year old putter and still $100?)
At home I've got the original Ping Anser 2, Ping Karsten Series Anser, Nike's Anser model (the green ones from 3-4 years back), and none of them hold a candle to this Newport. They're all fitted to me, same height, same loft, same lie, (individual weight IS different) but none of them have the same feel as this Cameron. I hate to say it, But it is a better putter.

I think maybe it's because quality drivers start at around $300 to get good technology.
In a putter, you can almost use anything flat and get the same results.

[edit] my logic is not going to stop me from purchasing a Machine putter in the future though.

IMO it's because the 300$ putters are at that price point for prestige and not for function...

So, with this logic I should be able to putt better with a cheap putter than say my Nead with milled roll groves? This is just funny from several angles.

In a recent Greenside THP Radio Show, we discussed premium putters and what defines them nowadays.

I remember that show and it was a good one.

So, with this logic I should be able to putt better with a cheap putter than say my Nead with milled roll groves? This is just funny from several angles.

Not at all... you got a custom milled putter there and know that club was made to spec. Not a run of the mill off the shelf putter.

I just bought a Cleveland Classic #2 and love it. It costs $70. Fantastic putter. If I could find a $70 driver that performed as well as my $400 driver, I would definately play it.

Not at all... you got a custom milled putter there and know that club was made to spec. Not a run of the mill off the shelf putter.

I think your making my point here. To say a putter is over rated or just stupid if it costs a lot is, IMHO, blind at best. Thats almost as absurd as saying that someone who uses a $20 putter is just never going to make a putt. I had mine made to incorporate everything I was looking for and it's a great putter for me. That's not to say I couldn't go out and find other putters cheaper that worked well, it is what it is.

I think your making my point here. To say a putter is over rated or just stupid if it costs a lot is, IMHO, blind at best. Thats almost as absurd as saying that someone who uses a $20 putter is just never going to make a putt. I had mine made to incorporate everything I was looking for and it's a great putter for me. That's not to say I couldn't go out and find other putters cheaper that worked well, it is what it is.

I think we're thinking the same thing, but saying it differently. What I should be saying, is I wouldn't buy a 300$ putter to say I have a 300$ putter. I want something that works and appeals to my eye. I doesn't necessarily mean I will spend 300$.

I think we're thinking the same thing, but saying it differently. What I should be saying, is I wouldn't buy a 300$ putter to say I have a 300$ putter. I want something that works and appeals to my eye. I doesn't necessarily mean I will spend 300$.

I can fully appreciate that. I just find it funny that people won't even consider trying an expensive putter, even if it might fit their game to a t and save them strokes on the course. They slam expensive putters then run out and buy a driver that cost just as much, is used half as much and lasts half as long, lol.

Drive for show! It's the whole macho thing, I can hit it further than you can, my dad can beat up your dad kinda thing. I totally agree with you . Outside of hardcore golfers ( most THP members), most of the bag other than the driver doesn't get much thought. Most of my buddies make fun of me for switching gear often enough, but like you said, I want to get something that fits my game (although this is hard due to my location, I need to rely heavily on what I can learn and read online, thank god for THP)

C'mon man. Driver and iron technology has hepled the average golfer out tons in the past 10 years by giving them distance and bigger sweet spots. It is hard to compare putters and drivers. Driver swings have so many more flaws due to length of swing that can be helped by technology. That said, If a $300 putter feels the best, by all means use it. But to compare the 2 is a bit of a stretch.

Not so much of a stretch. Look at the inserts and polymers in putters now. All aimed at giving better roll which helps the amateur and pro alike. Take the 2 ball, intent to help with alignment, some swear by it, the rst on seemores has been a huge help for me personally. I don't think two are that different at all other than club type.

Putter swings can have a ton of faults as well, and there has been several innovations to help overcome those as well.

C'mon man. Driver and iron technology has hepled the average golfer out tons in the past 10 years by giving them distance and bigger sweet spots. It is hard to compare putters and drivers. Driver swings have so many more flaws due to length of swing that can be helped by technology. That said, If a $300 putter feels the best, by all means use it. But to compare the 2 is a bit of a stretch.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

Not so much of a stretch. Look at the inserts and polymers in putters now. All aimed at giving better roll which helps the amateur and pro alike. Take the 2 ball, intent to help with alignment, some swear by it, the rst on seemores has been a huge help for me personally. I don't think two are that different at all other than club type.

Putter swings can have a ton of faults as well, and there has been several innovations to help overcome those as well.

Well written FLA. You forgot MOI which did start with Drivers and Irons But it's been around putters ever since Karsten drew the Anser on a napkin.

It is the most used club in the bag. Some people just think of putts but don't forget those shots off the green (the good old Texas wedge). Personally, value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't spend that much on a putter but I just dumped close to $150 on a $50 putter so I come awful close. I think what is looked down upon is more the idea that since the putter is more expensive it has to be better. That I frown upon.

Well written FLA. You forgot MOI which did start with Drivers and Irons But it's been around putters ever since Karsten drew the Anser on a napkin.

I agree, it's not much of a stretch at all. Technology has changed in putters in a lot of different ways and when you seriously go out on a mission to find THAT putter that fits you like no other you quickly find there's an endless array of choices from weights, material, balance/toe hang, I could go on a long time. Why limit yourself before trying all your options?

I have several really cheap putters that work well, it has nothing to do with the price tag. It's about what gets the ball in the hole with the fewest putt's if I'm not mistaken!

It is the most used club in the bag. Some people just think of putts but don't forget those shots off the green (the good old Texas wedge). Personally, value is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't spend that much on a putter but I just dumped close to $150 on a $50 putter so I come awful close. I think what is looked down upon is more the idea that since the putter is more expensive it has to be better. That I frown upon.

I frown on that too Spank. I just get tired of hearing that expensive putters are a waste of money. How can people say that without ever trying one?

edit: Might be a great chance for some people to try a milled putter right now The guy's at T.P. Mills are doing a traveling putter test right here on THP!

First, I will not spend 300 bucks on any club. Not even a driver.

That said, IF I had the money, I would pay more for a new driver. Why? Because, personally, I cannot find a way to justify the price in a putter.

I will say this. This philosophy does not apply to custom putters. They are not mass produced like a Scotty or Redwood.

This is why...

haters-gonna-hate.gif

I frown on that too Spank. I just get tired of hearing that expensive putters are a waste of money. How can people say that without ever trying one?

edit: Might be a great chance for some people to try a milled putter right now The guy's at T.P. Mills are doing a traveling putter test right here on THP!

I am part of that test, funny enough.

I have never had the chance to roll such an expensive putter such as a SC or a Method. I have putted with something like a ghost though and liked it. I'd say that if it actually worked better, I'd buy it, but I feel like the putting stroke has a lot more to do with it, even though you could say the swing matters more for every club.

Back