Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I've gone through a radical swing change over the past few days. It's still a work in progress, but when done correctly it's a vast improvement over my previous swing. The difficult part is restricting the back swing.

I was at the range today and one the members asked me to hit his Tour Striker Pro 7-iron and I was hitting it nice and high, which told me I was sustaining the lag and the new swing was working.

What's driving me nuts is which clubs to use now. As many of you know I have two sets of irons: TM Burner 2.0's and the Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototypes.

Today I was hitting, among other clubs, the 2.0 8-iron and the X-Prototype 7-iron (they have the same loft). With the new swing I was hitting the the X-Prototype more solid and further then the 2.0 8-iron. I tried to hit the 8-iron better but the 7-iron worked out better. I was also hitting the X-Series JAWS 60º better than the 2.0 60º.

This isn't supposed to happen, at least according to conventional wisdom. I was even hitting the X-Prototype 4-iron solid. I tried to hit the 2.0's better but I wasn't. It's not the mats because I use my own, which mimic hitting off grass.

Just before left the range I thought I'd give it one more shot. I took the 2.0 8-iron and really focused. I hit one left, one right, and one straight. I then took the X-Prototype 7-iron and drilled three shots right down the middle with great trajectory.

Anyway, this entire thing is driving me a bit loopy.

Sounds to me like you've found your irons. I'd just go with it and sell me your 2.0s :D

I've gone through a radical swing change over the past few days. It's still a work in progress, but when done correctly it's a vast improvement over my previous swing. The difficult part is restricting the back swing.

Do you mean that your backswing is too long? Because I have that exact same problem. My Shoulders stop turning and my hands keep going. I heard Nick Faldo at Pebble tell one of the celebs last week " When the shoulders stop turning the backswing is done. If the hands keep going back then that creates a timing problem for the hands to deal with coming down."
It's helped me now because I'm no longer thinking about my hands and arms. Just turn the shoulders and go.

Sounds like your just worrying about it to much. What does it matter which ones you play, or the lofts are different between each set? Just go with what you hit better and stick with one set of irons. Seems like no matter what you always keep coming back to the X-prototypes, so guessing you like those better than the 2.0s. I could be wrong on that, but just reading your previous posts/threads you always go back to the x-proto's. I say stick with one set and get used to them. Just my opinion though.

Sounds to me like you've found your irons. I'd just go with it and sell me your 2.0s :D
I may just do that Flooder. Plus I believe we are practically neighbors. :)

Do you mean that your backswing is too long? Because I have that exact same problem. My Shoulders stop turning and my hands keep going. I heard Nick Faldo at Pebble tell one of the celebs last week " When the shoulders stop turning the backswing is done. If the hands keep going back then that creates a timing problem for the hands to deal with coming down."
It's helped me now because I'm no longer thinking about my hands and arms. Just turn the shoulders and go.
Yes Snap, exactly. When I stop properly it makes a big difference in control, contact, lag, swing speed and distance. I like the swing though you've incorporated. I'll try that. Thanks!

Sounds like your just worrying about it to much. What does it matter which ones you play, or the lofts are different between each set? Just go with what you hit better and stick with one set of irons. Seems like no matter what you always keep coming back to the X-prototypes, so guessing you like those better than the 2.0s. I could be wrong on that, but just reading your previous posts/threads you always go back to the x-proto's. I say stick with one set and get used to them. Just my opinion though.
I DO worry about it too much Bridges. And I do keep coming back to the X-Proto's. I guess the reason I keep questioning myself is I'm not "supposed to" hit the X-Proto's better. But over the past few days, with the new swing, I do.

I DO worry about it too much Bridges. And I do keep coming back to the X-Proto's. I guess the reason I keep questioning myself is I'm not "supposed to" hit the X-Proto's better. But over the past few days, with the new swing, I do.

Thats the part you gotta get out of your head. I think if you get passed the "im not suppose to be playing these because there players irons and meant for the pro golfer" part, then I think it will be a lot better off for you. Seems like thats the only thing holding you back. Your hitting them good and no one is going to judge you for it, so I say go for it.

Thats the part you gotta get out of your head. I think if you get passed the "im not suppose to be playing these because there players irons and meant for the pro golfer" part, then I think it will be a lot better off for you. Seems like thats the only thing holding you back. Your hitting them good and no one is going to judge you for it, so I say go for it.
I know and you're right. I gotta get that stuff out of my head. How I do that is the question.

When I nut one they feel just great, unlike anything I've hit before.

I know and you're right. I gotta get that stuff out of my head. How I do that is the question.

When I nut one they feel just great, unlike anything I've hit before.

Leave the 2.0s at home or sell them. With 1 set of irons your forced to focus on that set and not worry about the other set.

Leave the 2.0s at home or sell them. With 1 set of irons your forced to focus on that set and not worry about the other set.
I was mulling over the same thing Bridges...not a bad idea at all.

I play Nike Victory blades, I play them because i'm a 3-4 hdcp and I'm supposed to play blades and work the ball and all that stuff. Last year I broke par only twice, both times I used my buddy's set of older R7's irons (while my irons were getting adjusted and regripped). The r7s are definitly game improvement clubs but I hit the ball farther and a lot higher. I hit the ball so well It got me questioning those same "standards" that you're questioning yourself (the other way of course but the same none the less). I didn't need to work the ball in anyway, not when I could just hit over any trouble I came across.

I say this: If the x protos provide for a more satisfying round of golf, then who cares how you're "supposed" to play the game of golf. One of the groups I play with everyweek has guy who's 65 years old. The best club in his bag? His "foot wedge", do I complain about the way he plays golf? Nah the old man's having fun, and his relentless nature towards wooing the cart girls is absolutly a sight to behold.

I play Nike Victory blades, I play them because i'm a 3-4 hdcp and I'm supposed to play blades and work the ball and all that stuff. Last year I broke par only twice, both times I used my buddy's set of older R7's irons (while my irons were getting adjusted and regripped). The r7s are definitly game improvement clubs but I hit the ball farther and a lot higher. I hit the ball so well It got me questioning those same "standards" that you're questioning yourself (the other way of course but the same none the less). I didn't need to work the ball in anyway, not when I could just hit over any trouble I came across.

I say this: If the x protos provide for a more satisfying round of golf, then who cares how you're "supposed" to play the game of golf. One of the groups I play with everyweek has guy who's 65 years old. The best club in his bag? His "foot wedge", do I complain about the way he plays golf? Nah the old man's having fun, and his relentless nature towards wooing the cart girls is absolutly a sight to behold.
I'm a 13 HI Snap, which is why I question myself. Plus, I never saw myself as "good enough" for these kind of irons. However, the trajectory is great, nice and high. I love the mass behind the sweet spot. The feel off a well struck shot is terrific. I know when I hit a bad shot it's not the club, it's just a bad swing. Today at the range I hit more "bad" shots with the 2.0's than with the X-Proto's. I focused just as hard with each club. Go figure.

What I need to do is take them to the course for a sustained test and see what happens. I only played them once before winter showed up and had positive results.

I'm a 13 HI Snap, which is why I question myself. Plus, I never saw myself as "good enough" for these kind of irons. However, the trajectory is great, nice and high. I love the mass behind the sweet spot. The feel off a well struck shot is terrific. I know when I hit a bad shot it's not the club, it's just a bad swing. Today at the range I hit more "bad" shots with the 2.0's than with the X-Proto's. I focused just as hard with each club. Go figure.

What I need to do is take them to the course for a sustained test and see what happens. I only played them once before winter showed up and had positive results.

When I turned 17 I made the varsity golf team and my dad said he would pitch in up to $400 bucks on a new set of irons for me. I ended up getting a set of older Mizuno Blades Mp14s. Everyone and including my dad said it was a bad choice. This was mid 90's and there were some great Player cavity irons just starting to come out that were definitly in my price range. (Mizno T-zoids and rthe Titleist DCi's for example)

I still feel those iron's forced me to be better and they were the best iron's I ever had. though trutfully i've probably never once hit the 3 iron flush.

I play Nike Victory blades, I play them because i'm a 3-4 hdcp and I'm supposed to play blades and work the ball and all that stuff.

Funny theory here. Just because you're a 3-4 handicap doesn't mean you should play a blade. You should play the best possible iron that fits your game. If you can work R7s better then your own irons. Maybe switch to something that works better for you. But all that stuff is your call. I play a old set of Mizuno's that work for me, but I could probably benefit with some new technology. I just like the look of them at address.

Sent from my operating system using thumbs 2.0

When I turned 17 I made the varsity golf team and my dad said he would pitch in up to $400 bucks on a new set of irons for me. I ended up getting a set of older Mizuno Blades Mp14s. Everyone and including my dad said it was a bad choice. This was mid 90's and there were some great Player cavity irons just starting to come out that were definitly in my price range. (Mizno T-zoids and rthe Titleist DCi's for example)

I still feel those iron's forced me to be better and they were the best iron's I ever had. though trutfully i've probably never once hit the 3 iron flush.
Those were nice irons Snap. I suppose I can play the X-Proto's and keep the 2.0's as a "safety net". Knowing they're there may allow me to be a little more free wheeling.

Those were nice irons Snap. I suppose I can play the X-Proto's and keep the 2.0's as a "safety net". Knowing they're there may allow me to be a little more free wheeling.

you say that now, but we all know that means you're going to hold onto them until something newer and shinier shows up and then it's off to the used golf store. haha

Yep, give it some time and do the test again, if the X's prevail, sell the 2.0's. Like it's been said before, make the clubs fit your swing, not your swing to fit the clubs.

I went through the same thing with my new set of irons Sean, the ones you and I have discussed before. The only difference is that I wanted the new irons to work out better and based on what I had done in my technique and in my physical makeup they should have and they did. I was still a little surprised because I made a big transition especially as it relates to shafts. But in truth it was the right thing to do and I no longer worry about it. Now I just keep doing what I have been doing to make as much progress as I have so far and hope to continue.

My biggest problem is that I cannot create accurate numbers off an indoor monitor. I just can't do it. So the clubs I replaced were way wrong to begin with as they were purchased off of numbers that are just wrong as in not an accurate reflection of my swing even then, never mind now. So I will likely look for opportunities in the future to take advantage of outdoor monitor availability even if I have to pay for it. However, the point is I am forever more going to take responsibility for making my own decisions regarding clubs. The information from a monitor even from an outdoor session is only going to be a data point for me to use from now on, not the ultimate arbiter of what I should or should not do. The monitor is an extremely useful tool. My error was in allowing it to become the equivalent of a golf judge and jury.

you say that now, but we all know that means you're going to hold onto them until something newer and shinier shows up and then it's off to the used golf store. haha
I hope not Snap! But you may be right...

Yep, give it some time and do the test again, if the X's prevail, sell the 2.0's. Like it's been said before, make the clubs fit your swing, not your swing to fit the clubs.
Good advice Dent.

It could have something to do with swingweight.
You raise a good point Thainer. The 2.0's are graphite and the X-Proto's are steel and almost twice as heavy shaft wise.

I went through the same thing with my new set of irons Sean, the ones you and I have discussed before. The only difference is that I wanted the new irons to work out better and based on what I had done in my technique and in my physical makeup they should have and they did. I was still a little surprised because I made a big transition especially as it relates to shafts. But in truth it was the right thing to do and I no longer worry about it. Now I just keep doing what I have been doing to make as much progress as I have so far and hope to continue.

My biggest problem is that I cannot create accurate numbers off an indoor monitor. I just can't do it. So the clubs I replaced were way wrong to begin with as they were purchased off of numbers that are just wrong as in not an accurate reflection of my swing even then, never mind now. So I will likely look for opportunities in the future to take advantage of outdoor monitor availability even if I have to pay for it. However, the point is I am forever more going to take responsibility for making my own decisions regarding clubs. The information from a monitor even from an outdoor session is only going to be a data point for me to use from now on, not the ultimate arbiter of what I should or should not do. The monitor is an extremely useful tool. My error was in allowing it to become the equivalent of a golf judge and jury.
J, I want the 2.0's to work out better but in the past few range sessions that hasn't been the case. I haven't been using any monitors just hitting balls on the range and judging things based on ball flight, feel of the ball coming off the club face and trajectory. Sure I've hit my share of bad shots with both sets of irons, but overall the X-Proto's come out on top. Of course there is only so much you can do on the range. However, I know it's not the mats as I'm using the CCE mats, so you can't get away with a bad swing on those mats as you know.

I look forward to actually taking them out on the course and seeing what happens. That's the only real way to tell.

I didnt know the shafts were different. If I were you, Id find a burner fitting club with the same shaft to test. Right now youre practically comparing apples to oranges. Good luck!

I didnt know the shafts were different. If I were you, Id find a burner fitting club with the same shaft to test. Right now youre practically comparing apples to oranges. Good luck!
The 2.0 shafts weigh in around 70 grams and the X-Proto's weigh in at about 133 grams. Maybe the 2.0 shafts are too light?

Absolutely positively too light. Id find a club that has a similar shaft to the 6i xproto, and give it a fair shot that way.
The 2.0 shafts weigh in around 70 grams and the X-Proto's weigh in at about 133 grams. Maybe the 2.0 shafts are too light?

Absolutely positively too light. Id find a club that has a similar shaft to the 6i xproto, and give it a fair shot that way.
You're probably right. I really don't want to have to re-shaft the 2.0's. Good thing I don't drink or that's where this game would take me...

I wouldn't go all the way to 130 grams, I'd try out something in the 100-115g range. Put some KBS 90s in those bad boys. The stiff KBS 90 actually weigh 100g so might be perfect. I went from 65g graphite shafts in my r9s to the stock 2.0 shafts at 85g and there was no problems swing wise for me. I'm going to get on the mizuno shaft thing here in about 2 months once I get some more golf under my belt and get my swing a little more consistent just so I can see what it recommends, you should check it out to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back