are black head clubs really going out?

brsmith33

Reaction score
Handicap
from people who have used the newer white head clubs, are they really better?

I would imagine there will be black club heads on woods an hybrids for years to come.

I would say that white reduces the glare and may make it easier to line up a shot, however I would say that the technology in the club heads are what make the club better or worse, not the color

I think this is something thats subjective and personal for each person. In my opinion the white drivers look great but I dont have one. and I really dont care what color it is if I can hit farther and straighter.

Great point ddec, but could colour be considered in one form or another... technology?
I would say that white reduces the glare and may make it easier to line up a shot, however I would say that the technology in the club heads are what make the club better or worse, not the color

I hope not, I really don't care for the white heads

Great point ddec, but could colour be considered in one form or another... technology?

Nope its just paint. Composite heads are technology man. lol

are black head clubs really going out?
I thought pink was the new black.

I wouldn't consider color technology. Would you consider the Cobra S2 white driver more technologically advanced the the black s2?

No way. There will always be those who simply will not use a white driver. Too garish for them.

Keep in mind that there are only 3 models to my knowledge that are white. That is a fraction of the offerings. I personally think it is much ado about nothing. Lots of people sitting in the cold speculating about golf clubs, creating buzz. Signs of a brilliant marketing campaign.

if it could be proven that white reduces glare more than black then possibly, yes. if the color could be used in a different way then that could be a technological achievement
I wouldn't consider color technology. Would you consider the Cobra S2 white driver more technologically advanced the the black s2?

In the ball review threads some have said they will never change from white golf balls, some will also say they will never change from black club heads.

I hope not, I really don't care for the white heads

Ditto. I'm not necessarily against them, I just don't think I want one for myself. I like black heads. If I could have gotten my new irons in black I'd have done so. As it is all of my other clubs - woods, hybrids, wedges, and putter - are all solid black.

If manufacturers are concerned about glare, why not finish black drivers in a matte finish? I'd say that a matte black driver with a gloss alignment stripe would look super B.A.

I dont think black is out by any means. I think white is a phase that may stick for a bit. But all OEMs will continue the black head

we may even see a combo of the two and start to see some gray heads coming out....
I dont think black is out by any means. I think white is a phase that may stick for a bit. But all OEMs will continue the black head

When I was in Florida a few weeks ago, I demo’d the TP Superfast 2.0. Up until the hype for the R11 and SF 2.0, I have never even thought about glare or cared. After hitting the white clubhead, I was amazed. There was no glare at all and when I went back to my black Supertri, I noticed seeing the clouds, sun and my image on the clubface and I actually did not like the glare anymore .. lol. If in the future, a new model is offered in white and black, I will ALWAYS pick the white now. And with the clubhead being white and the face being black, it is very easy to align the clubface. I truly believe with the white finish it can be called “technology”.

I dont think black is out but i do think white will be around for awhile if not forever. I have the R11 and its amazing, the white really dose reduce glare, i have taken a flashlight and moved it all over the head and not one spot glares, now with the black i get tons of glare. It is also easier to align with the black face and white crown. I all for the white but im also all for the black, some clubs just wouldnt look good in white IMO. Its personal preference mainly with color so play what looks best to your eye.

If manufacturers are concerned about glare, why not finish black drivers in a matte finish? I'd say that a matte black driver with a gloss alignment stripe would look super B.A.

Funny, I was about to post the EXACT same thing! I don;t generally consider myself too much of a traditionalist, but I can't stand the white heads on the new TM line. I have hit them, but as long as TM is making white crowns, they won't be getting my money.

But ya, I love it when people bust out the glare comment...there's no way a matte white head would produce less glare than a matte black one. Back when I was hitting a DYMO, I loved the matte crown on it. Worst sound ever off the tee, but great looking stick at address IMO.

I think it is dangerous that TM claim that black is a thing of the past; I would bet my car that they will be back to black before the entire golf industry changes to white...

They do or did, I've got one, sans the stripe. I'm assuming they found it "glare" wasn't much of an issue, and went back to a more traditional gloss finish. I think we will see more traditional drivers in the years to come. Some of the tour guy's are even using the smaller 430cc heads.

They do or did, I've got one, sans the stripe. I'm assuming they found it "glare" wasn't much of an issue, and went back to a more traditional gloss finish. I think we will see more traditional drivers in the years to come. Some of the tour guy's are even using the smaller 430cc heads.

Please post a pic! I was actually looking at my club and thinking about just sanding the gloss off of it so it's like the matte finish on the lambo it's styled after!

Please post a pic! I was actually looking at my club and thinking about just sanding the gloss off of it so it's like the matte finish on the lambo it's styled after!
Lost my camera this summer in a fishing boat accident. But the club is a Cleveland Hibore xl. U can get em on ebay for cheap nowadays. My review wouldnt be fair because I'll hit it one day miss it the next. Its a better driver than I am a golfer basically.

It's funny how black essentially became an industry standard for driver color virtually overnight. Not too long ago, the grays of Callaway Big Berthas, charcoal grays of the 975D, J, copper of the TM Burners, gold and then blue of Mizuno, Blue for Macgregor & Adams, the Wilson Deep Red, etc...

Even though I prefer darker colored drivers and don't really like the white ones, I welcome the change away from all black, all the time. My S3 driver is a dark charcoal gray and I think it looks awesome.

I just hope that the scales don't tip too far the other way. Imagine if the market only offered bright colors for their new releases? Blech. But I can live with variety, as long as it remains varied. :wink:

Back