Nike Introduces the 20XI Golf Ball Line

It's a 4 piece ball with a MSRP of $58.00 a dozen. Is resin that much more expensive than rubber that they cann't pass along some savings in their "reduction in manufacturing steps and allows for a 54% improvement in production consistency for resin core vs. rubber core"? If it takes less steps and there are fewer mistakes I'd think they'd be less expensive.

Can pre-order them here ($45 still seems a bit high to me): http://www.discountgolfworld.com/pr...um=ppc&utm_term=[nike 20xi]&utm_campaign=Nike

According to Nike, the MSRP is $58.00 with street pricing being at $45.99 (right in line with many other tour level golf balls)

JB I know you test a lot of different clubs, but do you test a lot of different golf balls? I notice you play the B330-RX. Do you still find that the best of the bunch?

JB I know you test a lot of different clubs, but do you test a lot of different golf balls? I notice you play the B330-RX. Do you still find that the best of the bunch?

I test basically every ball that comes to market. I believe in ball fitting in a BIG way.

I test basically every ball that comes to market. I believe in ball fitting in a BIG way.
With so many balls out there how do you do a ball fitting? How would I go about doing a ball fitting?

ps: I went through a Titleist ball fitting, but all they had me hit were a number of wedges and a mid-iron using a launch monitor. They suggested I would be best suited using the ProV1x followed by the NXT Tour.

I know B-Stone offers an online fitting tool, but that doesn't seem like the same thing as hitting balls on a range with a launch monitor, etc.

I'd pay to go to a place that did an extensive fitting, but I don't know of such an animal.

Being from the bowling industry, I can say that resin was introduced in the early 90's and changed the game forever. I will be very intrested to see if it does the same for golf.

I would guess more in line with a B-Stone since the Penta is a 5 piece
So is this ball comparable to the Penta or a B-Stone? Just as soft?

More spin? The last several editions of Nike tour level balls spun too much for me!! They were the highest spinning balls in the golf Digest Ball Comparison too if I recall correctly. I can't imagine them spinning them any more. Wow.

I will take a lot to get the Penta out of the bag but I'll try a sleeve.

I'd be really interested to see how this ball performs off the tee box.

You gotta have a consistent swing to test golf balls properly.
With that said, I think it's easier to test golf ball reaction on the chipping and pitching greens.
I normally use one ball out of the sleeve and use my wedges with it. Repeated strikes will give
you a good idea of the golf ball's durability. If you don't tear the cover to shreds after a
100 wedge strikes, it'll hold up for a few rounds on the course.

That's just my method..

I do enjoy testing new golf balls, but aren't their restrictions on the limits of golf ball performance set by the USGA?

I wouldn't use an illegal ball in competition, but I'd love to see technology used in a - screw the rules - golf ball. I'd probably be getting hole in one's on par 5's already.

ps: I went through a Titleist ball fitting, but all they had me hit were a number of wedges and a mid-iron using a launch monitor. They suggested I would be best suited using the ProV1x followed by the NXT Tour.

I know B-Stone offers an online fitting tool, but that doesn't seem like the same thing as hitting balls on a range with a launch monitor, etc.

I'd pay to go to a place that did an extensive fitting, but I don't know of such an animal.

Check the bridgestone site for a local ball fitting in your area. They come to a local course / range and have you hit a variety of balls of different manufacturers while you're on a launch monitor. It works and its free.

The KING of ball fitting is Bridgestone and while they have an online fitting tool, as well as the THP widget, a chat session, and a phone service, their fitting is really based on hitting balls. THey travel around the country and give real fittings based on the most violent of swings to determine real spin and launch numbers as well as compression.

It's a 4 piece ball with a MSRP of $58.00 a dozen. Is resin that much more expensive than rubber that they cann't pass along some savings in their "reduction in manufacturing steps and allows for a 54% improvement in production consistency for resin core vs. rubber core"? If it takes less steps and there are fewer mistakes I'd think they'd be less expensive.

Can pre-order them here ($45 still seems a bit high to me): http://www.discountgolfworld.com/pr...um=ppc&utm_term=[nike 20xi]&utm_campaign=Nike

ProV1's are the same MSRP and have been for a while. The MSRP isn't ever what you're going to pay at a major retailer, but a pro shop would more likely be close to that price. The cost is probably around $30-35 and a 25% or so markup on balls is pretty standard.

these sound really nice, the One Tour and One TourD were pretty darn good so hopefully these are even better.

ProV1's are the same MSRP and have been for a while. The MSRP isn't ever what you're going to pay at a major retailer, but a pro shop would more likely be close to that price. The cost is probably around $30-35 and a 25% or so markup on balls is pretty standard.

I don't really think they are out of line with the price of other tour level balls I was more just wondering (maybe that didn't come across) why that price point. Are the materials more expensive? They say that it reduces the number of steps in production and much more consistent when produced, so I'd assume they'd be less expensive to produce, unless the materials are more expensive. If they can make the same profit per ball, if they're less expensive to produce, by selling them for say $5 a dozen less than the competing tour level balls and they live up to their tour level performance, I'd think they'd sell more balls (more money and more market share).

This also got me wondering if golfers are our own worst enemies when it comes to price. Would the average golfer accept a tour level ball at say $29.99 a dozen or would they still go buy ProVs for $45 (it's more expensive so it must be better). Just wondering. :smile:

I don't really think they are out of line with the price of other tour level balls I was more just wondering (maybe that didn't come across) why that price point. Are the materials more expensive? They say that it reduces the number of steps in production and much more consistent when produced, so I'd assume they'd be less expensive to produce, unless the materials are more expensive. If they can make the same profit per ball, if they're less expensive to produce, by selling them for say $5 a dozen less than the competing tour level balls and they live up to their tour level performance, I'd think they'd sell more balls (more money and more market share).

This also got me wondering if golfers are our own worst enemies when it comes to price. Would the average golfer accept a tour level ball at say $29.99 a dozen or would they still go buy ProVs for $45 (it's more expensive so it must be better). Just wondering. :smile:

That is the age old question and I think despite what we as consumers want to admit, we know what the truth would be.

Are Z (or ZX) stars not a tour level ball? They roll in at $29.99 even for the Canadians

Check the bridgestone site for a local ball fitting in your area. They come to a local course / range and have you hit a variety of balls of different manufacturers while you're on a launch monitor. It works and its free.

The KING of ball fitting is Bridgestone and while they have an online fitting tool, as well as the THP widget, a chat session, and a phone service, their fitting is really based on hitting balls. THey travel around the country and give real fittings based on the most violent of swings to determine real spin and launch numbers as well as compression.
Thank you. I'll have to keep an eye out for a ball fitting in my area.

Are Z (or ZX) stars not a tour level ball? They roll in at $29.99 even for the Canadians

THe previous version is on closeout and marked down to that price. The new version that hits stores next month will not be priced at that level.

Thank you. I'll have to keep an eye out for a ball fitting in my area.

All you have to do is go to the site and see if they are coming to your area. They list every place they are headed.

Up until a couple of months ago, at least here, they were 39.99, then dropped to 29.99 (since Srixon is coming out with a new line).

Echo, Echo, Echo, :smile: dang he beat me too it this time.

I want to play this ball so badly, really looking forward to getting to getting my hands on a sleeve of these poorly named balls.

Back