TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Yes, in my opinion it should be higher. Do you have a screen shot by chance?

No unfortunately I don't. I didn't realize you could do that. In your opinion which monitor is the best? Most accurate? We do have a facility that has Trackman! How is that one for accuracy?

No unfortunately I don't. I didn't realize you could do that. In your opinion which monitor is the best? Most accurate? We do have a facility that has Trackman! How is that one for accuracy?

Most are fairly accurate. The problem seems to lie in only one of your numbers based on calculations, so I am not sure its a monitor thing. Just never seen a 128-140 swing speed and only a 174 ball speed based on that. But glad you found a club that works for you.

Here is THP member biggsy's launch monitor numbers from last year. You will see less swing speed and more ball speed.

IMG00144-20100618-0909-400x300.jpg

Most are fairly accurate. The problem seems to lie in only one of your numbers based on calculations, so I am not sure its a monitor thing. Just never seen a 128-140 swing speed and only a 174 ball speed based on that. But glad you found a club that works for you.
Could it be the cheap range balls they use? Perhaps the compression of the balls is too low for my swingspeed? I dunno just a thought. Once my R11 arrives I will go and get some #'s at the range with Trackman with some Pro V1x's and see if that makes a difference.

I agree the Golf Town monitors never seem that accurate to me. However the ball speeds and Swing speeds were calculated on Flightscope at a different retailer. All in all I am not really worried cause if I can get a average distance of 300 yrds I will be really happy as that is around a 10 yrd increase from my old tired R9. I am going to go and demo My r11 when it arrives on the Trackman system when it arrives just to see exactly what the numbers are. I ordered it with the Blur x-flex shaft so once I get some good reliable #'s and so real time on the range with it I will decide if i will go with a after market high end shaft fitted to me.

I have no doubt your numbers are legit and probably better than the onces given here, its the monitors that are verryyyyy suspect.

Could it be the cheap range balls they use? Perhaps the compression of the balls is too low for my swingspeed? I dunno just a thought. Once my R11 arrives I will go and get some #'s at the range with Trackman with some Pro V1x's and see if that makes a difference.

Very possible. Glad you found a driver that is working for you. Looking forward to continued updates.

Does the ASP tech actually change the degree or just make it look like the club face is closed, open, or nuetral?

I've got on some monitors where why swing speed was the same as above and the ball speed was down as low as 170, so if your swing speed is at the low end of what you are saying, I can see it. I just don't know how accurate any of these are. I know that ball speed drops dramatically for me when I don't catch the sweet spot on that club, which is considerably small in my estimation. When I did the Bridgestone ball testing in the sim, I had a ball speed as low as 171 and distance was 303 (281 carry) and a high of 179 ball speed 310 (292). Swing speeds were mid 120's. Difference for me is not getting the center of the club. Which I notice in sound, feel and just the way the ball jumps off the face.

This is the Superfast in my sig line.
mhbt3m.jpg
[/IMG]

Let us know how the new numbers look.

Any thoughts on the FWY? I'm going to stick out SO much on the course with my Yellow Z Stars and R11!

Does the ASP tech actually change the degree or just make it look like the club face is closed, open, or nuetral?

The point of the ASP is to change the face angle without effecting the loft. Yes it does that. Can Also effect the ball flight, draw-closed, fade-open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an initial thought after about a dozen swings....
Unfortunately, I am not a great fan of the R11 so far. I have no other words to describe it other than it felt harsh and I was just was not comfortable with the feel of impact.
It could be the longer shaft and I'm missing the sweet spot, but I had no problems hitting the Octane which is also longer than my current driver. I will try it again for sure, but so far I am unimpressed and more looking forward to Razr Hawk and Cleveland XL.

Any thoughts on the FWY? I'm going to stick out SO much on the course with my Yellow Z Stars and R11!

I have some larger write ups on the FW wood in this thread some pages back. Been playing it a while now.

Just an initial thought after about a dozen swings....
Unfortunately, I am not a great fan of the R11 so far. I have no other words to describe it other than it felt harsh and I was just was not comfortable with the feel of impact.
It could be the longer shaft and I'm missing the sweet spot, but I had no problems hitting the Octane which is also longer than my current driver. I will try it again for sure, but so far I am unimpressed and more looking forward to Razr Hawk and Cleveland XL.

Im starting to agree with you here. I am just not sure its for me. Love the look. Want to love the driver. But the sound and feel is just a little off for me and for my swing, I am also positive there are better options.

Kaymer and sergio on cnbc business this morning talking about r11 at the white out event. Awesome that golf is getting this publicity, speaks volumes for TM's presence.

And they ruined it with the trump.

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

I have some larger write ups on the FW wood in this thread some pages back. Been playing it a while now.

Im starting to agree with you here. I am just not sure its for me. Love the look. Want to love the driver. But the sound and feel is just a little off for me and for my swing, I am also positive there are better options.

JB - for your swing, how do you think the R11 compares to the Razr Hawk?

JB - for your swing, how do you think the R11 compares to the Razr Hawk?

I have not hit them head to head, so I will not be much help. I know this weekend, I am going to be playing a few rounds of golf and spending a lot of time on the range. I will get an answer for you.

I've got on some monitors where why swing speed was the same as above and the ball speed was down as low as 170, so if your swing speed is at the low end of what you are saying, I can see it. I just don't know how accurate any of these are. I know that ball speed drops dramatically for me when I don't catch the sweet spot on that club, which is considerably small in my estimation. When I did the Bridgestone ball testing in the sim, I had a ball speed as low as 171 and distance was 303 (281 carry) and a high of 179 ball speed 310 (292). Swing speeds were mid 120's. Difference for me is not getting the center of the club. Which I notice in sound, feel and just the way the ball jumps off the face.

mhbt3m.jpg
[/IMG]

Those are some sick #'s biggsy!!!

My swing: slight out to in swing (3 to 4 degrees avg), play a power fade naturally, but can work ball both ways when needed.
Driver swing speed 110+ and average about 155-160 ball speed.

Just got done hitting my R11 9 degree Stiff (BLUR) Shaft outside on the range for the first time. I hit 50 balls, and changed the setup 3 times.
Started out neutral on all settings and the weights set up for a fade. I was leaking everything right, bordering on a slice and hitting the ball very high. UGHHH.
Second, I moved the weights to a draw, set the shaft to lower and closed the sole. Started hitting a much straighter ball, but my miss was an UGLY dead pull, yet the ball flight was more where I like it.
Third I dialed the shaft back to 1 notch under neutral towards lower, kept weights at draw, and sole at open. This setting worked the best for me. I hit 8 straight balls within a few yards of each other (est. 260ish) and right down the middle. It is about 45 degrees outside here in Seattle, so the ball isn't going anywhere! :) No bad misses. Great ball flight, slight fade or arrow straight, and felt great.
The club makes a little different sound that I am used to with my old Tour Burner, but the feel is great. Mishits still go a good distance and there is enough feedback to let me know how I hit it in my hands.
I am going to get into the launch monitor for some serious setting work in the next couple of weeks and will update when I do. But overall I was impressed with the versatility and I only tried 3 settings. There are tons more to try.
I really wish I had this club when I was in Maui 3 weeks ago!!

I have not hit them head to head, so I will not be much help. I know this weekend, I am going to be playing a few rounds of golf and spending a lot of time on the range. I will get an answer for you.

I appreciate it. I'm hoping to put the R11, SF 2.0, and Razr Hawk all up against my old R7 sometime in the next few weeks. If only the snow would melt and stay away for a few days.

I appreciate it. I'm hoping to put the R11, SF 2.0, and Razr Hawk all up against my old R7 sometime in the next few weeks. If only the snow would melt and stay away for a few days.

Im sure some of the guys will do that this weekend as well. And I know a TON of people will be doing that very thing at the THP Demo Day soon.

mhbt3m.jpg
[/IMG]

Bigsy, looks like you are mashing that thing. I can't help but think that you are leaving some distance on the table with those launch angles though. Did it look like you were hitting it low?

Bigsy, looks like you are mashing that thing. I can't help but think that you are leaving some distance on the table with those launch angles though. Did it look like you were hitting it low?

No kidding. 5.8 that is very low. I bet if he gets it into the 9's or so he could be absolutely bombing the ball.

Well, It finally came. The longest wait ever for a club that I can remember when placing an order, but I truly believe it will be worth the wait.
When I picked up my new R11, I brought my Supertri TP with me and spent some time in the launch monitor comparing the 2 drivers. I originally went to the Taylormade Performance Lab to get fitted and I ordered the R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft. I wanted to see if my numbers were similar to when I got fitted 4 weeks ago and they were.
Here are my numbers w/ Supertri TP – All Neutral Settings
Driver Ball speed Launch Ball Spin Carry Total Dist.
Super Tri 141.9 10 3477 229.78 253.71

R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft – ALL NEUTRAL SETTINGS
R11 - 143.0 11.8 3266 236.38 259.1

Here comes the fun part, I changed the shaft to Lower and closed the clubface and look at what happens:

R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft – Shaft on Lowest and ASP = closed
R11 - 146.7 12.0 2922 249.8 273.28

I find this to be amazing. I spent a few more minutes and I was just about dead center every time. My misses with my Supertri and R11 with neutral settings were right, but those adjustments brought the ball back. On my miss hits, I was still getting 250+. I will be playing on Thursday on Cape Cod with weather expected to be in the 50’s so I can’t wait to test it for real. If you guys would like, I can post my thoughts after the round. Overall, I am very happy with this club and It was a great move on my part to pay to get fitted.
Sincerely,
Steve

No kidding. 5.8 that is very low. I bet if he gets it into the 9's or so he could be absolutely bombing the ball.
I am trying to bring it up and I think I can afford a little more loft in my driver. The days I coming in more steep, I get low piercing ball flights. The days I am swinging a little better and out through the ball, it's more like 10-12 degree launch. All in all it's the indian in this case and he is desperately trying to get it up.

The Bridgestone ball fitting had me ideal at 12.

Well, It finally came. The longest wait ever for a club that I can remember when placing an order, but I truly believe it will be worth the wait.
When I picked up my new R11, I brought my Supertri TP with me and spent some time in the launch monitor comparing the 2 drivers. I originally went to the Taylormade Performance Lab to get fitted and I ordered the R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft. I wanted to see if my numbers were similar to when I got fitted 4 weeks ago and they were.
Here are my numbers w/ Supertri TP – All Neutral Settings
Driver CH speed Launch Ball Spin Carry Total Dist.
Super Tri 141.9 10 3477 229.78 253.71

R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft – ALL NEUTRAL SETTINGS
R11 - 143.0 11.8 3266 236.38 259.1

Here comes the fun part, I changed the shaft to Lower and closed the clubface and look at what happens:

R11 TP w/ matrix HD6 stiff shaft – Shaft on Lowest and ASP = closed
R11 - 146.7 12.0 2922 249.8 273.28

I find this to be amazing. I spent a few more minutes and I was just about dead center every time. My misses with my Supertri and R11 with neutral settings were right, but those adjustments brought the ball back. On my miss hits, I was still getting 250+. I will be playing on Thursday on Cape Cod with weather expected to be in the 50’s so I can’t wait to test it for real. If you guys would like, I can post my thoughts after the round. Overall, I am very happy with this club and It was a great move on my part to pay to get fitted.
Sincerely,
Steve

SJF, I'm guessing in your numbers you meant ball speed instead of club head speed?

Back