A question of ethics

mdbuschsr

Just playing for fun
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 17.3
As many of you know, I have been offered and accepted a job pending a background check and drug test. Both of those were submitted to today and there is nothing in my history that makes me think either will be a problem.

The vast majority of my current income comes via subcontract work through a residential property manager. There is a part of me that feels I "owe" them some kind of notice after 2-1/2 years of work. But then again there is the part of me that is advising against that.

If I don't tell them, I'm gonna feel like a heel when I have to call and say I'm closing my business today, and you are gonna have to find another handyman. On the other hand, if I call and tell them ahead of time, and something goes all FUBAR on me I'm HOSED BIG TIME!!!

What would you do?

I have never left a job without notice, and I have had some employers I seriously despised . Do unto others......

I hate that desision as well. I've had to do it before. The only advice I can get you is this: CYOA, cause they sure will cover theirs.

I understand your dilemma Matt. But you said the job is pending depending on the back ground check and drug check. So officially the job isn't yours yet correct? Until you know beyond all shadow of a doubt that the job is yours you may want to wait until you give notice. Once you do have the new job, why can't you explain to your new employer that you would like to give a suitable notice to your previous employer before you leave?

I try not to burn any bridges, never know when you might have to cross them again

I would give notice.

On the other hand, if a company is letting you go, they don't give you notice.

The difference is that you are a subcontractor, and not getting any benefits other than getting paid. You're not really an employee of this place. You could leave it open and let them know you are probably accepting another job and might not be available anymore. Is there a chance you can still do some work for them, even taking this other job?

I would give notice.

On the other hand, if a company is letting you go, they don't give you notice.

The difference is that you are a subcontractor, and not getting any benefits other than getting paid. You're not really an employee of this place. You could leave it open and let them know you are probably accepting another job and might not be available anymore. Is there a chance you can still do some work for them, even taking this other job?

Smalls makes a good point, technically they aren't you're employer.

Ironically I just went through this about 2 hours ago.

I understand your dilemma Matt. But you said the job is pending depending on the back ground check and drug check. So officially the job isn't yours yet correct? Until you know beyond all shadow of a doubt that the job is yours you may want to wait until you give notice. Once you do have the new job, why can't you explain to your new employer that you would like to give a suitable notice to your previous employer before you leave?
+1 I would not want to burn the bridge so to speak. Your new employer may appreciate your wishing to do the right thing now with your contract work.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Any employer that's worth working for will understand the need for you to give a two-week's notice to your previous place of work.

So, the replies thus far just about cover everything I've thought of.

I don't want to burn a bridge.
But I really want to get started on the next chapter of my life.
If they (the current company) were to let me go I would not get notice of any kind, but I assume I would deserve it in some way.
I don't necessarily want to work for a company that doesn't understand the dichotomy.
I can't be positive, but I'm 99% sure that I'm not the only maintenance guy the current company uses.
I don't want to screw them over, but I also don't want to screw myself if something somehow goes belly up.

My wife just brought up an interesting point. We adopted our son from "the system". When we did, we had to submit our fingerprints and what I can only assume was a rigorous background check. I haven't used any drugs harder than ibuprofen in more years than I can remember. So all of this checking is really just a formality.

While it is a formality, all kinds of things out of your control may come up (unrelated to you), until you've signed a offer letter, hold off. Your new employer should understand you giving notice to your former employer, as I'm sure they would expect the same from you down the road if the case need be.

Yep, telling my new employer that if they hired me, I'd want to give my old job two weeks notice. They were cool with that and it actually showed a bit of character on my part.

You're a golfer - if you come to a complete stop at a stop sign at 3 am. If you follow the rules of golf when nobody's looking.. I'd say you'll make the right decision.

If you give them 2 weeks there should be no hard feelings. That would give them a chance to at least realize they will need a new guy to do the work when it's needed. I'm a tradesman and the employer doesn't have to give any notice to me when they layoff, and they don't either. Even though they know well in advance exactly when they plan on cutting hourly guys loose. Its a double standard but it is what it is. Good luck on the new job.

Here is a question: if you tell the current employer that you are turning in your 2 weeks notice, what are the chances they will say "don't worry about it. We have someone else who can cover your job"? Didn't you say that their were other maintenance people working there? Will the new company let you start early or will you be without a paycheck for two weeks? I have had tha happen to me before.

They say a monkey never lets go of one branch until it's got a firm hold of the next one. Sounds cold hearted but when's the last time you've seen a monkey fall flat on his face?

I've seen plenty of guys return to a job when the new thing didn't pan out, if they gave some notice, I've done it myself. I've never seen a guy who just up and quit working for the same outfit again though. My 2 cents.

They say a monkey never lets go of one branch until it's got a firm hold of the next one. Sounds cold hearted but when's the last time you've seen a monkey fall flat on his face?

good analogy lol

MDB: You already know the right thing to do - you got a sweet job youve wanted for awhile. you earned that job - after the tests come back clean and they offer you the job - take it - and tell them you are giving your ex employer the two weeks notice or whatever. they made you wait pretty long for the job in the first place - they should understand - if they dont- tell them youll quit it immediately. They will know you mean business but most employers should understand - i mean, they would want their employees to give notice right?

Tell your current employer about the new job - why you took it - etc etc - thanks for the employment opportunity - let you know if you can help find a replacement or something - and if they really need help - you can possibly assist at night or on the weekends in a pinch?

either way = congrats on the new gig - im sure youll do the right thing.

Back