TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

haha, I have to hope that they'll all be there for me, but yeah, it should be a fun time. I'm set everywhere else in the bag, so my demo day will be dedicated to finding the driver for me, and helping folks out on the launch monitor. Should be nice and relaxing for me.

Thats great because my number one thing to find at the demo day is the perfect Miyazaki shaft for my game on the launch monitor, who better to help then a fellow lefty! Oh and the R11 is a really nice driver but just not enough forgiveness for my game. The spin rate I was getting on the launch monitor was perfect but on mishits the distance lost for me was far too great to think about gaming this.

Thats great because my number one thing to find at the demo day is the perfect Miyazaki shaft for my game on the launch monitor, who better to help then a fellow lefty! Oh and the R11 is a really nice driver but just not enough forgiveness for my game. The spin rate I was getting on the launch monitor was perfect but on mishits the distance lost for me was far too great to think about gaming this.

I am looking hard at the Miyazaki's as well. I just don't know if hitting one in a head other then the 910 is going to give me the test I need.

Fellow R11 owners , have a question for ya

Fellow R11 owners , have a question for ya

I have been tinkering with my club settings, loft and weighting and such and have found that the wrench that came with it does not seem to release when reaching the specified torque or I'm afraid to over tighten it (it is very tight ) . I had a R7 before and when it reached the right torque it released and would not allow it to tighten any more ? Anyone else notice this with the R11 ? Thanks in advance !

A torque setting in the wrench is a good idea...interested in hearing if this is the case.

That Igolf pic is pretty cool.

TC, how hot is the face on this driver? Did you get a real pop to it? Like I said before whenever I hit a really good one I love the feeling when you feel the contact all the way into your hands. Not sure if you have ever gotten it but do you know what I'm talking about?

I saw a couple people hitting the R11 yesterday. It's definitely not for everyone but I was floored when I got to hold this bad boy. It is one of the best looking drivers I have ever seen. I got to the shop late so I didn't get to hit this on the monitor. The Superfast 2.0 is also a beautiful club to hold. TM really did a nice job on the looks and I really hope to see what the performance is like.

TC, how hot is the face on this driver? Did you get a real pop to it? Like I said before whenever I hit a really good one I love the feeling when you feel the contact all the way into your hands. Not sure if you have ever gotten it but do you know what I'm talking about?

I think it's hot dent. I love the way it feels when hit on the screws and when not. I could certainly tell hwen it wasn't hit on the screws but that's important to me. It reminds me a lot of my R9 to tell you the truth. The white head makes the black face look awesome at address.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

So I just got back from the driving range and would like to announce that there will soon be a Superfast TP in the For Sale forum.

Wow. The R11 felt amazing. I said the Superfast TP was my favorite driver ever. Well, I have a new favorite. Now keep in mind that of course different people will have different perspectives, but for some reason the R11 just worked for me. The shaft felt fine. The ball flight was just about perfect, not sure it could get any better for me. Not too high, not too low. And it went a good ways. The feel was great. I somewhat feel like cutting my Superfast TP down from 46" to 44.5" made it feel a little boardy and harsh so the R11 may have an advantage in that the shaft has not been messed with? Not sure, but this driver feels awesome and came off hot. Distance, feel, and trajectory were all great for me. I could probably stand to take off 3/4 of an inch, but for now I'll just choke down to avoid messing up the feel.

I will say this. I wasn't having a great day with the wedges and hit some poor shots today. So I was a little timid about breaking out the white driver as more people started showing up at the range. I did feel like there was a hint of "You better hit this good Mr.white driver man." But, I'm over that after seeing its performance. I did not tinker with any settings yet as I was hitting it nice as is.

So I just got back from the driving range and would like to announce that there will soon be a Superfast TP in the For Sale forum.

Wow. The R11 felt amazing. I said the Superfast TP was my favorite driver ever. Well, I have a new favorite. Now keep in mind that of course different people will have different perspectives, but for some reason the R11 just worked for me. The shaft felt fine. The ball flight was just about perfect, not sure it could get any better for me. Not too high, not too low. And it went a good ways. The feel was great. I somewhat feel like cutting my Superfast TP down from 46" to 44.5" made it feel a little boardy and harsh so the R11 may have an advantage in that the shaft has not been messed with? Not sure, but this driver feels awesome and came off hot. Distance, feel, and trajectory were all great for me. I could probably stand to take off 3/4 of an inch, but for now I'll just choke down to avoid messing up the feel.

I will say this. I wasn't having a great day with the wedges and hit some poor shots today. So I was a little timid about breaking out the white driver as more people started showing up at the range. I did feel like there was a hint of "You better hit this good Mr.white driver man." But, I'm over that after seeing its performance. I did not tinker with any settings yet as I was hitting it nice as is.

AWESOME!! Good to hear!

Five to six players were struggling with the new R11 during practice rounds including John Rollins and Mike Weir. When asked by a friend out there, they had no comment, but 5-6 guys kept going back to the tour van to get tweaks done over and over again. One player ditched it for the weekend (trying to find out who) after saying "I just dont like it".

Interesting. I can't help but wonder what they don't like about it. I'd assume that most of these guys played the R9 or the Supertri previously? I can't help but wonder if it's the white.

I'd love to pick one up. I hit one at my local shop a 9* setup closed face/draw weighted/lower loft. It felt amazing.

Interesting. I can't help but wonder what they don't like about it. I'd assume that most of these guys played the R9 or the Supertri previously? I can't help but wonder if it's the white.

No idea and our reports are all over the place.
Some are saying the guys are struggling with spin.
Others are saying that the driver is coming up short on distance.
And still some others are saying "Its like a snowball".

Trouble with spin as in not enough? This is interesting.

Trouble with spin as in not enough? This is interesting.

No idea TC. One guy said "Two guys went in saying spin was out of control too high."
Another guy said to us "Mike Weir just went in saying the spin was way too low and missed every fairway in the practice round".

I wonder if the same thing has happened with previous new release drivers and we just don't hear about it?

I wouldn't suspect it's the white. You would think a professional golfer could hit it if it were yellow and provided enough money by TM to play it, surely the white isn't a deciding factor of "just not liking it."

Just my thoughts...

No idea TC. One guy said "Two guys went in saying spin was out of control too high."
Another guy said to us "Mike Weir just went in saying the spin was way too low and missed every fairway in the practice round".

Well, Mike Weir is a poooo-c.

I can't wait to find out some more THP dirt.

I wonder if the same thing has happened with previous new release drivers and we just don't hear about it? .

No, I would hear it I think.

Guys being able to hit it and guys getting perfect launch numbers are too very different things. Guys on tour dont mess around with drivers they can hit. They can hit them all.

No, I would hear it I think.

Guys being able to hit it and guys getting perfect launch numbers are too very different things. Guys on tour dont mess around with drivers they can hit. They can hit them all.

Interesting. How much are players involved before clubs are released? Wouldn't at least a few have given feedback previous to going full scale production?

Interesting. How much are players involved before clubs are released? Wouldn't at least a few have given feedback previous to going full scale production?

Of course. Testing panels, etc...But that is far different than what happens on the course and production units.

I'm sure some of the top tier staffers have some input but not guys like Weir and the others who are complaining.

I just played the first round with my R11 today. I was a little skeptical about the blur shaft, but it wasn't that bad. It's a little weak for a stiff flex, but the ball seemed to go in the right direction. I have the R11 in 10.5 and put the loft on the highest during some range time this morning. I was getting a lot higher ball flight compared to my 10.5 Adams Speedline. So, I put the FCT back to one notch above neutral and left the asp on open. I was hitting a good mid/high trajectory shot with a small fade that would get some roll out. I hit some really good shots during the round. I usually have a few holes each round where I mishit my driver and it ends up going 30 yds. I felt very confident with the R11 today and only had one lost ball (slice in the woods). Every other drive was in the fairway or rough/fwy edge. I outdrove my buddies on a few holes by a good 25-30 yds. We are usually within 10 yds of one another. I hit some clubs with different Miyazaki shafts in them recently, so I have had plans to put one in the R11 after I got it. My local golf shop just set up an account with Miyazaki and the first shipment should come next week or so. After talking with the owner I am going to get a C. Kua 43 S. I had plans for getting the dromos, but he told me he was told the c. kua would be fine and has plans to put the same shaft in his R11. Hopefully the shafts come in soon so I can try it out and see. I was very impressed with the shafts in the new cleveland line and z-star when I hit them.

Overall...the R11 is a quality driver and will stay in my bag. I really love the adjustability. I hope to get on the range tomorrow and try most of the different settings.

Of course. Testing panels, etc...But that is far different than what happens on the course and production units.

Well I hope they can get it tuned in for those guys. I love it myself, but I imagine I'd be pretty upset if I was on tour and couldn't get my numbers right with the new product. Hopefully they work it out.

JB, are you still loving the fairway wood? Has it cemented its place in your bag?

JB, are you still loving the fairway wood? Has it cemented its place in your bag?

Its in the bag right now during testing. Im not sure it will stay there. Love the way it is working, but there are a lot of great FW woods out there right now. The driver will not find a place right now.

Back