Buying wedge sets vs indivual wedgs

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Often when people talk about shopping for wedges they talk about the set, whatever configuration might be. Why are wedges not often thought as indivual clubs, the gap wedge, the sand wedge and the lob wedge? We as golfers do not always buy the fairway woods that match our driver. We treat them as invidual clubs. Why not the same for wedges?

I have done both and it doesn't bother me either way. I do like the look of having wedges that all look the same but I am not committed to it. I know TC likes to have his driver and 3 wood from the same OEM so it is not just wedges for some.

I have done both throughout my golf career haha.

Prior to the Nickents and Jaws my wedges were mixed for the most part. I had a used CG14 I absolutely loved and some other random wedges. As I started to get more course time I found that I really wanted a more consistant distance gap within my wedges much like my irons. When I got the Nickent set I saw a difference with that. I'm pretty sure I could've tested a bunch of different wedges with different lofts but I was looking for a quick cheap fix haha.

I now have Jaws wedges in my bag but I tested these pretty good at first. I considered throwing a CG15 56* instead of the Jaws 56* but didn't because of $$ and the numbers were better for the Jaws. I could see someone doing it. I may have done it if the numbers were as good and price wasn't an issue then.

I'm not a great wedge player so I only hit real basic shots and try to keep it simple. My younger days (haha) I had a mean flop shot but no so much anymore.

Cool is right, I like my driver and fwys to be of the same OEM and I especially like my wedges to match. I prefer that they look the same for my setup more than anything. If I can get comfy with one theb the others should follow suit, at least that's what I figure. It also helps take other variables out of the equation like getting use to grips, how balls react off the face, and turf interaction.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

See I'm kind of in the middle here. My 56 and 60 are the same now, but my 52 has a similar characteristics to my irons(Ping TourW).

I (imagine) that there's more consistency to be found using wedges from only one manufacturer and line.

Cool is right, I like my driver and fwys to be of the same OEM and I especially like my wedges to match. I prefer that they look the same for my setup more than anything. If I can get comfy with one theb the others should follow suit, at least that's what I figure. It also helps take other variables out of the equation like getting use to grips, how balls react off the face, and turf interaction.

I am the same way TC, although its not needed I really want my driver to match my 3 wood or my hybrid that is why I am considering Taylormade but I'm pretty sure I'm going to rule out the S3 for my next driver. I couldn't stand to have Cobra 3 wood, TM hybrid and a diff brand driver. If this does happen I will sell my 3 wood and get the same OEM as my driver.

As far as wedges go, they just MUST match. I'm such a neat freak I'll go insane if they don't. My 60* doesn't count because it's sometimes not in the bag.

couldn't you just re-grip them all and with practice get the other answers?

I'm not huge on the issue, as I used to play a CG14 50* with VR 56* and 60*. Now I'm 50/54/58 in the TM xFTs. I think it helps to have everything the same, but everyone is different. I used to have matching driver and fairway, but not anymore. I'd say driver/fairway are different animals personally, where wedges are more of the same. But it does boils down to personal preference.

So I am hearing it is a visual thing for most. What happens you buy a set, say 52* and 56*, and the 52* works great and it is really a can't miss club but you just can't get the 56* to work. Then what do you do? Toss out the club that works to agin get a different set?

So I am hearing it is a visual thing for most. What happens you buy a set, say 52* and 56*, and the 52* works great and it is really a can't miss club but you just can't get the 56* to work. Then what do you do? Toss out the club that works to agin get a different set?

I practice more. Unless it's an issue with bounce or grind.

I prefer to get at least a sand and lob wedge the same. I actually prefer a GW to be the same as the regular irons, but haven't gone that route yet. My reason for them being the same is consistency. They have a similar feel and similar turf reactions. That isn't to say that you couldn't get two opposite wedges to have the same feel, but there is something to it mentally.

I'd have to say I have not had to ability to buy an entire wedge set, because I am always mixing and matching different wedges into my bag. I've found some companies gap wedges that I prefer over other companies sandwedges. So, in the end, I guess I prefer buying single wedges.

couldn't you just re-grip them all and with practice get the other answers?

I suppose but that's extra expenses and why spend more time practicing to get use to 3 different wedges when I can practice with one and it translate through to the rest. And my driver and 3w don't match but right now I have TM offerings for both.

I like having the constancy through the wedges. That being said, the best golfer I know plays a Callaway and Titleist wedges, so it is really up to the person holding them I guess.

My last two sets have had a matching gap wedge that goes with the irons and my 56/60 have matched. I like this consistency and it has worked well for me.

I don't think I could have different wedges as mentally they would not be consistent for me. Just a personal preference.

I just went to matched sets, trying to see if there was more consistency since they would look/feel the same. So far though its been tough just adjusting to the new wedges in general. My cg11 52 was the club in my bag that I tried to play to, and I had the shot figured out no matter if I was 90 yards or 120, I had the confidence in it. My Nike VR 56 was super out of the sand, and good on 70-90 yard shots but I wasn't as strong chipping with it as I had been with other SWs, and the flop wasn't really there with it.

So with the groove rule coming out I bought/was gifted two sets of wedges to try, 52,56,60 in Cally Jaws and Adams puglielli fastback wedges. So far the 60s haven't done me much good since I need a good a good weeks worth of practice with nothing but it to get the feel for a 60 again (If I decide I even need it). The 52s have been pretty good, but not to the cg11 standards yet, and the adams 56 is for sure staying after the few bunker shots I;ve hit with it, freaking outstanding out of the sand. Grips aren't really an issue since they are similar to the j38s default grips, so feel is about the same all the way down. I'm leaning towards the adams atm since they spin and don't feel the need to feast on golf ball covers lol.

So I'm trying to keep a full set of wedges, but I'm not sold on the idea yet, or that it really makes that much of a difference to me, but to each his own right?

TC summed up my thoughts on wedge sets as well. Nice job.

Having same driver, 3wd, & hybrid all from same company never has bothered me. Wedges I like to get same brand other than my PW that comes with set of irons. When I got my i15 irons I thought about going with some new Ping wedges but I love my Miura wedges so much I couldn't get rid of them. When time comes for a new set of wedges I'll get another set of Miura. That way you have same look between different lofts of your wedges. Not that it really matters when you go from look of i15 irons to satin nickel finish of wedges but I'd like atleast my wedges to be same shape and finish.

So what I am hearing it is more of a visual thing than anything else.

Only once have I ever owned a "set" of wedges: CG14 52, 56, & 60. I doubt it's something that ever happens for me again as I demand different things from each wedge.

I have matching 52* and 60* x forged wedges. I love the way they hit but I think its more of an aesthetic thing.

Hopefully I'll be able to offer a different level of input at some point. I'm planning to get a set 50, 55, 60, from Eidolon. The theory is that I want the consistency across those clubs. Right now I play CG15 52 & 60 wedges, and I had a Cally X18R SW. I no longer own a SW as it went when I sold my old irons, it's killing me!

I will be regripping my driver and FW to match the feel of my irons, and the wedges will get the same treatment when I get them. Until recently, I could never tell the tactile difference between them, but I have fallen head over heels for the grips on my irons & 4H, and now my other clubs just ain't right.

Back