THP Iron Testing AGAIN! Want to Particiate?

1. What is your handicap? 14.86
2. What are your current irons? Taylormade Burner Plus
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons): Steel
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? Around 30 on the course and several on the golf simulator at work.
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? With more distance I will have more chances to go at the green and it means my chip shots will be closer also. Forgiveness is the biggest part for me. With my handicap I do not hit the ball in the middle or clean every swing so a club with forgiveness allows me to be able to still put up a good shot even if I do not hit it square.

1. What is your handicap? 19
2. What are your current irons? Mizuno Mx-25
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons) Half & Half
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 40 plus
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? I believe more distance and forgiveness will allow me to hit longer iron shots and reduce some of my hooks and slices, allowing me to hit or challenge more greens in regulation.

1. What is your handicap? 17.5
2. What are your current irons? Wilson FG-59's
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons) Steel
4. How many rounds do you play in a year?55-65
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? More distance means closer to the green. More forgiveness means less stinging on mishits.

Would be fun to test out some irons for you.
Mesadude :glasses-cool:

Handicap: ~30
Current Irons: Callaway X22s
Graphite or Steel: Definitely Graphite
Rounds of golf/year: at least 48 :D - we play at least once on the weekend if not twice!
How will distance & forgiveness help your game: Well, I'm ALWAYS looking for distance and forgivenes. It will also, hopefully, allow me to hit more greens and alleviate the mis-hits.

I'm a big fan of Wilson Golf and I think it's incredible that they are participating with the forum in the form of seeding. Testing irons, or any equipment for that matter, for THP is an incredible opportunity. I want to wish all of those who enter the best of luck and I look forward to reading the reviews from those lucky enough to be selected.

Thanks to THP for bringing yet another opportunity to the forum members and thanks to Wilson Staff for participating.

Handicap-27
Current irons-Cobra FP
Graphite or steel-Steel
Roonds a year-70-80
Distance and forgiveness-I took up this game about a 2 years ago. At that time I was shooting in the 110-120 range. Last year knocked it down to mid to upper 90's. The only real clubs I have used are what I have. So I'm interested in seeing what new clubs would do for my game. I play in a league during the week and with buds on the weekends. Also spend time during the week at the range to sort things out. Never had a lesson all self taught. Discovered this site a week ago and have been on it a ton. This year was thinking of replacing my irons. If you want a honest opion about a product look no further, because right now I don't have a lot of brand loyalty. I'm just trying to hit the ball.

1. What is your handicap? 4.3
2. What are your current irons? Callaway X-20 Tour
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons) Steel in my current irons but would love to try either graphite or 50/50.
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 55 to 60
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? It would help me reach my goal for this year to get my hdcp down to 3 or better.

Yet another great project to be part of. Thanks THP and Wilson !

Another great opportunity from Wilson and THP good luck to everyone!

Handicap:17.5
current irons are Cobra SZ
Steel
I play 35-40 rounds a year
More distance and forgiveness would help me get back some of the distance that I am losing as I age "slightly" and work out less ,especially on the shots that I don't hit exactly "sweet" .This would in turn help me make more greens in regulation and hopefully lower my scores.

1. What is your handicap? 20
2. What are your current irons? Wilson Staff Goosneck 3-SW
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 30+
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? It would give me more confidence since my Driver is a work in progress and I am working on my swing technique

Last edited:
Now that I have a bit more time I just wanted to reiterate how much I love that there are companies willing to do this. I think Wilson Staff made a great decision in allowing THP members a crack at reviewing these irons. There is nothing better than honest reviews from actual golfers and I think that so many people out there are in need of this type of information when they are researching their future purchases. THP is truly bringing it's members closer to the industry in every way imaginable. Be happy that you're members folks, because opportunities like this are invaluable and rare. To those that don't get picked, don't worry. As you've seen there has been a new chance to review clubs every month recently. Being an active forum member can really pay off in terms of being able to get these opportunities. So, post away and maybe one day it will be your turn :)

Now that I have a bit more time I just wanted to reiterate how much I love that there are companies willing to do this. I think Wilson Staff made a great decision in allowing THP members a crack at reviewing these irons. There is nothing better than honest reviews from actual golfers and I think that so many people out there are in need of this type of information when they are researching their future purchases. THP is truly bringing it's members closer to the industry in every way imaginable. Be happy that you're members folks, because opportunities like this are invaluable and rare. To those that don't get picked, don't worry. As you've seen there has been a new chance to review clubs every month recently. Being an active forum member can really pay off in terms of being able to get these opportunities. So, post away and maybe one day it will be your turn :)

Well said Hawk, all I know is there are 2.0's and a mashie on the way in my bag that were all purchased in large part due to the great reviews by THP members. Wilson Staff is a very underrated OEM and am very glad they have decided to let some THPers test these irons.

1. What is your handicap? 15
2. What are your current irons? TaylorMade Burner 2.0
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons) Half and half
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 30 ish
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? More distance makes holes easier and when you do miss a shot forgiveness makes the miss more manageable. So add them together and they just make golf easier.

Have to say thank you got Wilson Staff and THP for another amazing opportunity. Id love to see Wilson Staff at more golf outlets and this is a great way to do that.

Last edited:
This is such a fantastic opportunity to test a set of irons that people may not have thought of when considering purchasing new irons. I love there new commercial with Ricky Barnes because I think they confront their biggest weakness: public perception. I am excited to read the reviews of those who are lucky enough to be chosen to test these irons! Good luck to all.

What a great opportunity. Thanks for making this possible.

1. What is your handicap?

index 9.5

2. What are your current irons?

Hogan Apex Pro

3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons)

Steel (3) regular flex

4. How many rounds do you play in a year?

50 - 60

5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game?

More distance should allow me to hit higher approach shots in to our small greens. Forgiveness is always a plus as distance control is determined by consistency of contact and this is partially a function of forgiveness.

I researched the uniflex shaft and read that it would be marketed to golfers who drive the ball between 225 to 300 yards so I am not going to put in for this one as I play a senior flex iron and my drive is under that range. I would like to thank THP and Wilson Staff for the opportunity! Good luck to everyone who put in for it!!!

What a sweet opportunity. Good luck to all.

1. What is your handicap? 22
2. What are your current irons? switch between Nike Sumo Sasquatch and Hogan Apex Plus
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 50-60
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? Who doesn't want more distance. Hitting a more lofted iron into a green is always easier. Forgiveness=confidence. I need lots of confidence.

I researched the uniflex shaft and read that it would be marketed to golfers who drive the ball between 225 to 300 yards so I am not going to put in for this one as I play a senior flex iron and my drive is under that range. I would like to thank THP and Wilson Staff for the opportunity! Good luck to everyone who put in for it!!!

would have been interested to see if the half and half shaft worked out for you KellyBo.

would have been interested to see if the half and half shaft worked out for you KellyBo.

Thanks but I think it's more between a regular and stiff shaft so I know that would be too strong for me.

I am a 6 hcp.
I play the PING s59 irons
Steele shafted
I play 40 rounds a year
More distance and forgiveness will help my game by allowing me to reach long par fives in two as well tougher part threes.

1. What is your handicap? 20
2. What are your current irons? ping g5
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons) steel
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 30-40
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? distance will help when I am in between a wood and iron and hopefully get me to hitting more short irons into greens. Forgiveness. Being a 20 handicap there are plenty of times where I mishit and can turn a putt for bogey into a putt for the dreaded snowman. more forgiveness will hopefully allow more par putts and lower scores

1. 10
2. TM R9 TP's/Tour Burner (more so lately)
3. Steel
4. 75+
5. More distance would help on longer par 4's and 3's. I feel I could be a little more accurate if I am approaching with a 5i or 6i instead of a 4 or 3. More forgiveness would help with off-center hits and keeping the ball headed in the right direction. I struggle with the longer irons and having a bigger sweet spot would certainly shave a stroke or two off each round.

Thanks for the opportunity THP!

I acttually am going to sit this one out too and pulled my info. I love WS but from uniflex experience I know they won't do well with my swing. So, I dont want to take away anyones oppurtunities!

just got home from work and this was the first post i saw! It never ceases to amaze me how THP delivers such great news DAY IN and DAY OUT! Simply amazing job THP securing these opportunities for us and providing us the outlet we need. Seriously, I cannot emphasize enough how much that means.

I saw its open to anyone in North America - and I was already going to apply. I would love nothing more than to equipment test for THP -and you have to start sometime so now it is!

So here is my application:
1. What is your handicap? OOB has me at 13.3 (i havent played a round since Dec 3rd) i was hovering in the low 90's consistantly - so i would put myself around a 20.
2. What are your current irons? Nike Machspeed 4-PW
3. Graphite, Steel, or Half & Half? (uniflex is used in these irons): Half n half
4. How many rounds do you play in a year? 75+ (im aiming for 3 per week this year - should reach 100)
5. How will more distance and forgiveness help your game? I believe the forgiveness would be the biggest help for my game. My biggest miss is on the toe - so increasing a sweetspot i believe would make my irons play more consistantly - straighter - and probably longer. Distance has never been a problem really - i dont murder or kill the ball - rather i try to play within my swing. swinging 100% everytime i know will ruin my round.

I am on a mission this year- I want to get my Handicap into the single digits - and that means a strict practice/work regimen. Which i am going to push myself to accomplish. I am going to play 2-3 rounds per week - taking a lesson bi-weekly for tune-ups and tweaks. in addition to the lessons I am going to dedicate two practice sessions per week, one for the short game - and one for irons/drivers. Whichever needs worked the most.

Thank you THP and Wilson Staff for the wonderful opportunity - I cant say enough what a great site you have going!

Last edited:
I would really like the opportunity to play with these, but given that I still can't play my 2.0s as well as I want, I'll bow out. I really look forward to hearing the thoughts of the testers on this set.

Back